Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at Yas Marina

Will Vettel win his 5th race in a row? I think he is favourite to win again. The question is why Webber is unable to extract as much out of the car as Vettel can? Earlier in the season, Webber was sometimes outperforming Vettel. That seems like a distant memory now.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at Yas Marina

It will not be a case of who wins (barring mechanical issues) but who the runners up are. All the interest will be further down the field, as it was in India..

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Vettel demoted to back of the grid!!

This should make it a more interesting race...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20193545

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

He will start from pits, it was team decision. Also, big + for them, they are opened to change engine, gearbox, gear ration, downforce, suspension settings and etc. Tomorrows race will be quite interesting!

--

sportcars-history.com

Him stating from the pits kind of evens out the playing field between the performance of his RBR and Alonso's Ferrari, who could only qualify the Ferrari on 6th place mail

I guess it will be a battle between Webber and Hamilton tomorrow...

--

What a race! Loved every minute of it! Bravo Kimi! Excellent race Fernando! Go Vettel! Poor Hamilton!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

I think destiny is with Vettel. If Alonso could only manage to reduce his handicap by only 3 points on a "historic" day when Vettel started last, he should not blame anyone else. But he had Raikkonen to reckon with. 

Well done Vettel, but Raikkonen is the man kiss

--

"Form follows function"

Alonso had everything against him in order to gain some points on Vettel today. He was lucky to walk off with 3 points with the luck Vettel had today.

Vettel comes in to change tires early because he made two stupid mistakes that took out his front wing, and right after he comes out there is a safety car basically allowing him to recuperate all the time lost having one extra tire change than everybody else.

And then another safety car which put him right on behind the leaders and with a fresh set of soft tires as opposed to the rest in front.

If you add to that all the mayhem in between with drivers knocking each other out of contention in between vettel and the lead... as unlucky as Vettel was in qualifying he got it all back and more during the race.

Alonso was fortunate to finish in front of the McLarens (Hamilton looked like he was easily walking away with this one until his engine said different) and RBR's with his Ferrari.

What I found amazing is his strategic skills during the race, while Vettel was attacking Button towards the end of the race, Alonso was comiunicating with his pit crew about distance with Button so that he could give him the <1sec gap in the DRS zones to Button to defend gainst Vettel on each lap.

Also very funny at the end when Vettel passed Button, how the Ferrai italian engineer told Alonso in the radio, he said in a anoyed voice in italian to Alosno "Button fell a sleep and Vettel passed him" 

He won't give up though, he is 100% determined to win this year even if the odds are against him (inferior car and only two races left) he will try to keep the moral high in his team till the last race, you could see it in his body language in the podium today.

To bad about Hamilton, he deserved the win today. I have no words to describe Massa's incompetence and a second driver. And Grosjean already had another collision and almost took out Vettel defending his positiuon a bit too hard IMO considering, what is wrong with this guy? Vettel is fighting for the championship title and there are only two races left. 

--

Great race! I loved Kimi's radio transmission, something like 'I know what to do. Quit calling me' (not an exact quote)

Webber absolutely lost his mind today and got what he deserved in the end.

Raikkonen, Alonso and especially Vettel were all excellent.  kiss

Well, that was an interesting race. I wish the broadcast would have spent some more time on the mid-field because I heard there were a number of brilliant battles back there.

This race, more than anything else showed that the RBR is head-and-shoulders above every other car on the field in every category now that they have straightened out the KERS/alternator problems they have had earlier in the season.

I could sense the disgust in Lewis Hamilton and now see why he wants to leave McLaren.

Webber drove like a maniac this race and should have received a warning from race stewards. Needlessly over aggressive.

Alonso again shows that he is the best driver in the field. He is doing more with less and driving a less than contending Ferrari on the ragged edge (and sometimes beyond) almost every lap of the race.

Grosjean involved in yet another crash - DNF. This time it wasn't his fault though. Perez went off track and then sliced his way back on and across the apex of the turn slamming the door on Grosjean when he Grosjean was not only track but had the racing line and right of way.

The Raikonnen broadcasts were absolutely hilarious, but god help me, someone give this guy an "emotion" circuit. He has to be the most outwardly passionless person I have even seen. It's not even an air of coolness - it's just flat out dead pan monotone.

@ CoS +1 (again)

SV was THE lucky guy of the race, it's almost unbelievable how much the "grand prix god" is wowing for him!! mail

For sure he was racing very quick, but as you've mentioned although he was forced twice back of the field he could easyly return as the two safetycars helped him A LOT!

Without his technical problem LH should have won this race, I wounder why suddenly JB can't coope with the Macca anymore?yes

However, I hope that FA will have a decent race @Austin and - although I'm no Ferrari-Fan - will be the champ 2012, because without the stupid-crash caused by Roman "CRASHjean" he would still lead the championship by 8 points and RedBull as well as SV would have to taken a lot more effort in the races to reduce the gap to him...

I know that I may sound biassed, but this season deserved better than having (again) a good driver (SV) with the best car (RB by far - as showen today again by SV) being the champ instead of one of the two (FA and LH or three (KR)) best drivers in way inferior cars (compared to the Red "Newey" Bull).

Lord_Driftalot: but this season deserved better than having (again) a good driver (SV) with the best car (RB by far - as showen today again by SV) being the champ instead of one of the two (FA and LH or three (KR)) best drivers in way inferior cars (compared to the Red "Newey" Bull).

Could not agree more with this word for word.

--

@ CoS wink

Racing was always a combination of driver + car + team stuff. Great race from Vettel, he deserves to be a champion.

--

sportcars-history.com

Gladstone:

I loved Kimi's radio transmission, something like 'I know what to do. Quit calling me' (not an exact quote)

Kimi seemed a "little on the edge" as he was smeeling the victory which was so important for him to finally get it,  here is the radio coversation, you'd think the pitcrew would get the message on the first conversation to leave him alone Smiley

RADIO: Ok, Kimi, next car behind you is Alonso, 5 seconds behind you, i will keep you updated on the gap, keep you updated on the pace.

KIMI: Just leave me alone! I Know what to do!!

Conversation 2

RADIO: Ok Kimi we need to keep working on the tyres need to keep working on the tyres

KIMI: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes im doing it all the time, you dont have to remind me every second

Here is the video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FrDDn8ZY9wk

--

nicked this from another forum :

It was Mark Slade he (Kimi) was talking to. They worked together at Macca and Mark gave an interview to MTV3 where he said he doesnt mind Kimis straigth forwardness because its clear communication without fuss. Mika Salo said this only shows how determined Kimi was at the race. He was focused to keep his gap to the guys behind him. If he would have had something to ask, he would ask. Also Mark Priestley , engineer from Macca , said this is the same Kimi as in his Macca times. He said its good to notice Kimi hasnt changed.

--

I wonder why there is so much doubt about Vettel. What more does he have to do to convince after 2 Titles and many superb races? To start from last, do an unscheduled pit stop and climb 21 places, is something that few drivers in F1 history have achieved. 

The car is also top class, in spite of FIA's continuous eagerness to find and close loopholes, because there is a genious engineer behind it.

IMO this is the essence of F1, man and machine in harmonious perfection. If someone wants to see identical cars he better follow the one-make races.

P.S. Alonso could still take the Title with some twist of fate. I don't count him out at all. Unless, Lady Luck has given him already, his bonus points at the first half of the season and now she is winking at Vettel. 

--

"Form follows function"

@reginos

The reasons (for me) not to recon SV achievements in this race are:

• the two safety cars helped him a lot, whithout these he would'nt be any close to the podium
    • with LH, MW, RG, NH and NR falling/ crashing out of the race he didn't have real opponents on his way to the podium besides JB who was on old tires
    • the RB is - as shown when SV was overtaking - far superior to any other car, only LH and FA could have avoided a SV-race victory under normal circumstances (SV starting from 3rd grid position)

The only positive thing with SV for me is that he's & was everytime faster than his teammate BUT he didn't have (yet) any real teammate (like LH and FA in their 2007 season in which btw both scored the same amount of points!!)...

IMHO SV is a good driver but he's not THE driver, not this season or any season before!

Exactly.

Also most Vettels wins on average are starting from pole on a faster pace setting car than the rest, and just driving the car across the finish line.  That is why he doesnt have the respect or "street cred" in the pits as drivers like Alonso,  Hamilton, or Kimi, 3 driver I put ahead of Vettel. Just look a the beginning of the season when the RBR was not outshinning the rest of the teams,  and then take a look at the drives Alonso did with less hardware like Valencia. 

--

Alonso won 2 titles with Renault when his car  was the best package of the time. In McLaren he couldn't overcome novice Hamilton (and he was whinging and whining all the time for that) and with Ferrari he hasn't managed to put his stamp on the team, like Schumacher did. This record doesn't make him a true legend but at the same time this doesn't mean he is not a star driver.

Similarly, Vettel is not perfect (yet?) but only biased people could dismiss his talent and ability.

Also off the track, from the little we can gather about drivers from interviews, Vettel comes across as a pleasant, communicative young person without complexes and prima donna attitude.  His interview with Clarkson on Top Gear last year was very refreshing. He never dwells unnecessarily on mishaps, penalties or (the occasional) bad results and he never makes controversial statements about others. He gets his visor down and drives.

OTOH, Alonso appears moody and dark most of the time and the kind of person who holds grudge if he cannot win, almost a bad loser.

I respect Alonso as a driver but I like Vettel allround

--

"Form follows function"

Maybe FA could'nt dominate LH in 2007 as both were (are) on the same level?

Look at Roger Federer for example, it took him years to control his agressions & emotions in his early carreer-stages, but he managed it and by now he's the GOAT in tennis.

What I want to say is that maybe LH is a greater talented driver than many others and started his F1 carreer on a higher "talent-level", while others need more races and time to get better.

So FA faced maybe his "clone" when racing LH in the same team?

When did SV really have real competiiton in his team? In 2010 it was close between MW and SV but before and since then?yes

MW's like DC, on a good day he could have beaten anybody, on a bad day anybody could beat him!

IMHO SV is for sure one of the top drivers, bur he's not THE ONE as mainly stated by the (german) press...

And SV has a great marketing-machinery behind him (Red Bull) also Bernie loves "the wunderkind" as a successfull GERMAN driver brings F1 more money than a Spanish.

BTW I really would like to have soon a good Indian (and I do not mean Narain Karthikeyan) or Chinese driver in F1 and then see how the marketing-machinery of Bernie will give him a boost and in consequence a seat in one of the top cockpits as these F1-markets are not even barely exhaustedangry

reginos:

I wonder why there is so much doubt about Vettel. What more does he have to do to convince after 2 Titles and many superb races? To start from last, do an unscheduled pit stop and climb 21 places, is something that few drivers in F1 history have achieved. 

The car is also top class, in spite of FIA's continuous eagerness to find and close loopholes, because there is a genious engineer behind it.

IMO this is the essence of F1, man and machine in harmonious perfection. If someone wants to see identical cars he better follow the one-make races.

P.S. Alonso could still take the Title with some twist of fate. I don't count him out at all. Unless, Lady Luck has given him already, his bonus points at the first half of the season and now she is winking at Vettel. 

It's called - ENVY. Smiley

Well done to Raikkonen for a good drive. It's about time he won a race. He was hilarious over the radio: " ... leave me alone ... " and " ... I know what to do ... " etc.

On the podium, Raikkonen used the word "sh*t" and Vettel used the word "f*ck". On a live satellite broadcast to hundreds of millions of people around the world, they should know better that this isn't acceptable.

Vettel made the most of a good car yesterday ... the gear ratio adjustment really helped him. He was also aided by some good fortune in terms of the timing when the safety cars were deployed.

I still don't think his overtaking is as good as drivers like Hamilton, Alonso, Button. Why? He took risks when he passed Grosjean, Senna etc and his car suffered in those tangles. He needs to learn that he does not have the automatic 'right' to be let past. He has to earn that place when competing for a position by pulling off a successful manoeuvre. The driver in front will not (and should not) just move aside for him.

After the race, Vettel gave a strange interview to the BBC when he stated that " .... in spite of everything [the stewards] throw at you ... ". I found this bizarre. Vettel unintentionally broke the rules about the minimum fuel sample size to submit to the FIA stewards for testing. He did not do it on purpose but a rule breach is a rule breach. They were not out to get him. It is not personal. They were merely applying the rules.

Hamilton was very unlucky. He should have waltzed to a win yesterday but his car let him down. Sadly for him, it looks like his frustration will only get worse next year at Mercedes.

Button drove well as did Alonso.

It was a real demolition derby. I was shocked at how many avoidable collisions there were at simple turns/apexes etc. And even the rookies have now been driving long enough so that this should not happen.

This championship is still Vettel's to lose. Something unexpected has to happen for Alonso to win it now.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

This championship is still Vettel's to lose. Something unexpected has to happen for Alonso to win it now.

Don't discount FIA Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM