Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari crash

A race I guess?

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Yep...high speeds + wet pavement = perfect disaster scenario.

I've seen so many Porsche, especially 911, kiss the middle guarding rail on the Autobahn... enlightened

When it rains, I usually drive 120 to 150 kph on the Autobahn, sometimes even slower if there is heavy rain. I am always surprised how other drivers pass me at speeds way over 180 or 200 kph.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Their ambitions certainly seem to have exceeded their capabilities!!  surprise

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

It's what happens when an entire population switches from bicycles to the fastest cars in the world in one generation, with most of these drivers growing up on Playstation racing, where one simply presses Reset after a crash , never expeiencing auto racing at all levels in person to get an idea of the dangers of speed that go with the thrills
    No driving population other than the experienced Autobahners has experience judging a closing speed 100 MPH over their speed when checking mirrors or looking over shoulder, so these fast cars will constantly be pulverized to metal and bone dust by lane changers on public roads , even if the fast driver is decently skilled.

MKW:
    It's what happens when an entire population switches from bicycles to the fastest cars in the world in one generation, with most of these drivers growing up on Playstation racing, where one simply presses Reset after a crash , never expeiencing auto racing at all levels in person to get an idea of the dangers of speed that go with the thrills
    No driving population other than the experienced Autobahners has experience judging a closing speed 100 MPH over their speed when checking mirrors or looking over shoulder, so these fast cars will constantly be pulverized to metal and bone dust by lane changers on public roads , even if the fast driver is decently skilled.

True. Then again there is also the Autostrada, the Autoroute and several other motroways that extreme closing speeds occure. At any rate, this had nothing to do with closing speed; obviously two (or one of them) inexperienced drivers were street racing without any wits.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/t...ns-in-a/nShLf/

I partially hold the father responsible. There is no way a responsible parent would ever consider giving their 18 year old son, a relative novice driver, a Ferrari as a present.

https://www.facebook.com/akshay.pavan1/photos_stream

Updated:*11:45*a.m. Friday,*Oct. 19, 2012*| Posted:*6:24*a.m. Friday,*Oct. 19, 2012*

Akshay Panducherry, 18 (left) and his friend, Harshavardhan Patlolla, 21 (right) are in critical condition after the former's Ferrari ran off the road at around 4am this morning and burst into flames

By*Mike MorrisThe Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Ferrari that crashed and burned Friday morning in north Fulton, critically injuring the two people inside, was a gift to the 18-year-old driver from has father.

Channel 2 Action News reported that Akshay Panducherry, 18, of Alpharetta, who was burned over 80 percent of his body, was given the Italian sports car last week.

His passenger, Harshavardhan Patlolla, 21, of Alpharetta was also critically injured.

Alpharetta police spokesman George Gordon told the AJC that authorities initially got a call just before 4 a.m. about a possible brush fire on Webb Bridge Road near Alpharetta High School.

“Unfortunately, when our police officers arrived on the scene, they discovered the fire was actually caused by a single-vehicle crash,” Gordon said. “They found a red Ferrari that was on fire approximately 60 yards into a wood line.”

Gordon said that the two men inside the Ferrari had crawled out of the car, but had sustained “significant” burn injuries. They were airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in critical condition, he said.

“The vehicle itself is totally destroyed,” Gordon said. “It went completely up in flames and it basically is not recognizable as a vehicle at this point.”*

“We know that a high rate of speed was a contributing factor in this crash,” Gordon said.

The Ferrari was a model F430, which was manufactured from 2004 to 2009. It had a base price of $171,000 and an estimated top speed near 200 mph, according to Road & Track magazine.

It is totally irresponsible from a parent to give such a car to an 18 year old...... (unless he has been trained ( race driver ) for a few years to drive powerful cars .)  mail

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hope, guys will recover...

--

sportcars-history.com

Gnil:

It is totally irresponsible from a parent to give such a car to an 18 year old...... (unless he has been trained ( race driver ) for a few years to drive powerful cars .)  mail

Very well said. The "kid" is not responsible, the guy who paid for it is. You don't give an 18-year old a Ferrari, this is just plain dumb...unless you want to get rid of your kid. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Saturday night in Toronto two kids in their 20's crashed a Turbo into a 4 backyards. One of them died at the scene.

"Police say both men were in their 20s and the car had been a new lease. The bill of sale was found intact at the scene, one officer said, putting the value of the car at nearly $120,000."

An avoidable tragedy. surprise

Crash.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1274946--fatal-rollover-man-dies-in-car-crash-into-scarborough-backyard

IMO young drivers should not be licensed to drive cars above a specified HP or power/weight ratio until certain age or years of experience. Something similar is already the case with motorcycle licenses.

--

"Form follows function"

JoeRockhead:

Saturday night in Toronto two kids in their 20's crashed a Turbo into a 4 backyards. One of them died at the scene.

"Police say both men were in their 20s and the car had been a new lease. The bill of sale was found intact at the scene, one officer said, putting the value of the car at nearly $120,000."

An avoidable tragedy. surprise

Crash.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1274946--fatal-rollover-man-dies-in-car-crash-into-scarborough-backyard

another pic:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/21/man-dies-in-crash

Blueflame

Horrible scenes. Again a reminder that metal does not protect, as discussed extensively in another thread... enlightened

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

reginos:

IMO young drivers should not be licensed to drive cars above a specified HP or power/weight ratio until certain age or years of experience. Something similar is already the case with motorcycle licenses.

I have always felt this way, Reginos. No one with less than two complete years of driving experience without incident or without a professional commercial drivers license should be allowed to own or drive a vehicle over 155hp. Years three thru five, increase to a vehicle with 220hp. After year 5, you're free to purchase whatever you can afford.

There is nothing that cannot be legally accomplished on public roads and highways with 220hp. However here in the US if this were attempted, there would be an outcry from the people that the government is overstepping the boundaries of the Constitution and hinder personal freedoms and rights - even at the expense of the general populace's safety.

RC:
    You don't give an 18-year old a Ferrari, this is just plain dumb...unless you want to get rid of your kid. Smiley

or unless you feel very guilty about  something .... 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Insurance companies perform this this function seamlessly by rating drivers and their cars based on driving habits and car performance.  That is good enough for me.

reginos:

The Italians have done something like that recently. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I think in Canada they make it a lot harder to get insurance for younger drivers. Its a way to discourage these tragic accidents.

Unfortunately this helps little when daddy pays the car and the insurance.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

bluelines:

Horrible scenes. Again a reminder that metal does not protect, as discussed extensively in another thread... enlightened

You should add "metal does not protect from being dumb and irresponsible..." Smiley

There is a way and there is a way...

We have a hp output limit for motorcycles for inexperienced/younger riders in Germany, I wonder why they don't offer the same thing for cars. There was a discussion about this way back in my days but I never heard anything again. Smiley

Now just imagine your kid is driving as a passenger with such an idiot, you can teach your own kid (or hope for the best) but if he is a passenger...

--

RC:
    bluelines:

You should add "metal does not protect from being dumb and irresponsible..." Smiley

Surprisingly the metal does not care if you are dumb or clever... irresponsible or responsible... Smiley

--

Heist:
    reginos:

I have always felt this way, Reginos. No one with less than two complete years of driving experience without incident or without a professional commercial drivers license should be allowed to own or drive a vehicle over 155hp. Years three thru five, increase to a vehicle with 220hp. After year 5, you're free to purchase whatever you can afford.

There is nothing that cannot be legally accomplished on public roads and highways with 220hp. However here in the US if this were attempted, there would be an outcry from the people that the government is overstepping the boundaries of the Constitution and hinder personal freedoms and rights - even at the expense of the general populace's safety.

My 1st car (bought with my dad when I was 15) was a porsche 914. It had about 175bhp by the time I was 17 and believe me you could get in plenty of trouble with it. Now with 275 bhp (and under 2,000 lbs) it's as fast in a straight line as a 996 Twin turbo up to its top speed of 175mph (and faster around the track).

Silly cookie cutter statements are just that.

maybe instead we should say that it should be harder to ge your license. You should have to do more driver develeopment and training. But money doesn't buy brains just newspaper space. There are plenty of old fords and pickup trucks that have the smae crashes with the same young people, it's just not newsworthy like a ferrari... The bigger story is yet another ferrari crash where the occupants could get away from the car afterwards but not get away from the fire. Cause it burnt like every ferrari seems to after anything bigger than a fender bender.

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

My first car was E36 M3 Evo (321 hp) in 1999 at the age of 19.  Before that I was sharing my mother's Audi A3 1.8T for 2 years. So it alll depends on the driver, not the age.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

My first car was also a 914 (1972 model 1.7 liter).  Orange - loved that car.  Had nowhere near 100 HP.  I also got it when I was 15 but earned the money for it doing odd jobs and regular work for years prior to that.

As i say to my boys during our driving course.

To have monney is one thing to know how to handle a car is another thing no matter which model it is but if it's a sport car, thousands reasons more to know how to handle it well.

Sometimes even someone that knows how to handle a car well can have big crashes but  this is really rare. Every persons knows that when it's wet and you drive a car with 560 or 600 or 400 PS, the car will not react as if it's dry and the track warm.

i think it's easy to sit behind a wheel but to analyse the conditions of the road.  it's wet and cold, or slightly muddy, ther's alot of others cars so ok i'll put full throttle down. No! i analyse the road, i tell myself a public road is not a track and there are no cones, the weather conditions are bad etc and then maybe i'll go.... for a moment of speed.

i'm the first one admitting that i do speed sometimes on public road with sport cars or others but i always take note of the conditions etc....

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Cram:

To have monney is one thing to know how to handle a car is another thing no matter which model it is but if it's a sport car, thousands reasons more to know how to handle it well.

Saying this you also can add it one thing having money but its another thing to handle it with care! It not only about cars, its about many things which can get quickly irresponsible when throwing around with bucks. And it starts much earlier than drugs, sex, cars and other addictions.... just always swimming in money cant be good for a child's growth!

I'm seeing a lot of these things going on especially in London where kids from loaded families are spending big. Many of those kids changing a lot withing couple of months and you can clearly see its not healthy! And - there you also see those monster cars in the hands of the 18 yrs old, going clubbing with alcohol, meeting girls and driving home after all simply wasted with young fellow girls on the co-pilot seat in the same monster car - crazy!

I think the solution is very simple. Make getting the license a bit harder with more driving practice like in Germany... there are mandatory night driving and Autobahn driving sessions to ensure a new driver has seen it all with some proper guidance. On top of that I think they should put each and every new driver in an older car that's heading for the scrap and winch tow him in that car to a speed of just 20km/h before hitting an obstacle head on. Once you've seen how much damage it does you have a real sense of how easily speed can kill. 50km/h can be enough even in today's safety developments...

Lars997:
    [...]

I'm seeing a lot of these things going on especially in London where kids from loaded families are spending big. Many of those kids changing a lot withing couple of months and you can clearly see its not healthy! And - there you also see those monster cars in the hands of the 18 yrs old, going clubbing with alcohol, meeting girls and driving home after all simply wasted with young fellow girls on the co-pilot seat in the same monster car - crazy!

You've got to cull the herd early.

Maybe the rich parents are testing their children. "If he can't handle a 458 at 18, I'm not going to trust him with my billions at 25!"

Lars997

You totally right. i think it's every where. Here in Lausanne and Zürich, it's really sad, some how i'm happy not to be 20 any more and on anothe hand i would love to be 20 again but with no buse, no druggs and only health, peace and serenity.

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM