Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"Von Null auf Turbo" in Zuffenhausen

Saturday i attended with fellow Rennteamers CR and mumbasic one of the nicest events ever -- Porsche's 997 turbo presentation in Zuffenhausen to selected customers. in plant II, between the assembly lines...

Full report coming later this day. Without pictures though -- it was not allowed to take any photos and we respected this.

Re: "Von Null auf Turbo" in Zuffenhausen

cannot wait to read your report.
    i bet you had a great time...

I just say "Safri Duo" and "Simply Red".

AM

Re: "Von Null auf Turbo" in Zuffenhausen -- REPORT

Von Null auf Turbo
    Porsche Zuffenhausen, 11-MAR-2006

An evening in red

Prefix

CR and his lovely girlfriend collected me at my hotel. mumbasic was already in the car. Weather was bad (sleet), but our mood wasn't at all. We arrived at the Porsche car park, locked the car and entered a bus shuttle which brought us to the entrance at Plant II.

The crowd

around 1,200 guests have been invited, 80% of them (my guess) between 40-60 years old. Mostly good customers, directors of the Porsche Zentren and some celebrities -- i've spotted Lothar Späth (former prime minister of Baden-Württemberg), Ulrich Schumacher (former Infineon CEO) and Bertie Vogts (former headoach of germany's soccer national team). Hm, a lot of "former" guys

Firestarter

We entered a hall which looked like a huge stylish night club -- with bars, a stage and running across the hall... a kind of simulated assembly line with real 997 turbo parts. example: a red body was hanging from the ceiling, while the chassis was placed beneath it on the ground.

The event's moderator was Rudi Cerne, a german TV sport presenter, along with a blonde lady i didn't recognize. Euro dance act "Safri duo" hit the drums to heat up the mood. PAG CEO Wendelin Wiedeking then gave a welcome speech -- his voice was very throaty, probably too much business talk at geneva -- and after that Wolfgang Dürrheimer (PAG's head of development) talked about the turbo, it's technology and it's Nürburgring track time, accompanied by various featurettes on the countless TFT screens around. Btw, the whole evening any significant action was broadcasted to these screens by a betacam team.

Assembly line buffet

The crowd was then guided to Plant II's assembly lines by guides who looked like Blue Man Group is now Red Man Group.

It was just HUGE. Buffets everywhere, BETWEEN the stopped assembly lines with the half-finished cars hanging around... AWESOME. I've never seen anything like this and probably never will again. you actually needed a map for orientation (which PAG hostesses provided!).

The excellent buffets offered anything you'd ever wish to eat -- asian, sirloin steak, tafelspitz (my favorite), salads, seafood incl sushi, awesome desserts. excellent quality. service was great as well -- the staff managed it to accommodate all guests with wine, beer, soft drinks etc... fast, friendly and efficent!

During this an action-loaded fashion show (of course featuring Porsche Selection gear) entertained us.

The simply red car

At about 11pm we were asked to go back into the hall where it all started. Now... well, what is still missing? A complete turbo! We've seen the unfinished red one at the beginning, we've spotted some hanging in the assembly line... but now the reason behind all this entered the hall... driving... with amplified exhaust sound through the speakers... A red turbo drove through the hall at walking speed and entered a platform near the stage. Nice!

Then the moderator announced the evining's suprise act: Simply Red. Well I'm not a big Mick Hucknall fan, and he looked quite bloated and aged -- but the show was good, Simply Red's music suited the whole event just fine!

Epilogue

Simply Red played for about one hour up to midnight. But this -- of course -- wasn't the end of a great evening. But actually I don't have a clue how long we've been there since i suffer from a memory gap
    It's very likely that every guest got a bag including a red 1:43 scale die-cast turbo and a leather keychain when leaving, since i found such a bag in my hotel room the next morning.

One final word about the Turbo: It looked good in red IMO. If i'd order one right now, i'd order a red one (ah, marketing works!). And the rims are just... beautiful! My favorite Porsche rims ever.

Thanks to CR, his girlfriend and mumbasic -- and of course to Porsche and the friendly staff -- for a great evening! And a big "thank you" to RC! I hope you have a great holiday -- but you sure missed something unique!

PS: If you're going to collect a 911 in the next couple of weeks... be warned: it might smell of cigar smoke

Great report - thank you.

What an honor! great report

Thanks ZZ enjoyed your review .

Do you recall any figures as far as the ring time?

Very nice report.

Too bad I was at Cebit. I wish I could join you guys.

Wow, thanks for that report, I really enjoyed reading it. It was a refreshing change from the usual depressing banter here about how the turbo is some kind of a failure (which I don't believe) or how such-and-such car is 0.2 sec quicker or slower to 100 kph etc.

It's another great car to dream about and I must say, even that 1:43 model in red looks good. I think you are right, red will be a really good color for this model.

Thanks!

Thank you for your review. It was very interesting.

A evening of feasting, musical extravaganza and gift giving. Im sure Weidiking had fun playing a Bavarian Borggia for the evening.

At the other Werks location, was there a crowd of younger, more fit invitees being given test laps in the new Porsche lighterweight Turbo 997 X ?

Thanks for the great report.
    It sounded like a lot of fun.

Wow, must have been a great night! One of those things that make you feel part of a bigger world... I must say I envy you guys a bit!
    -Joost-

thanks for the report! sounded good!

Great report, thanks!

Re: "Von Null auf Turbo" in Zuffenhausen -- MAP

i found the map in my jacket's pocket! here we go... sorry for the bad quality.

Great report Zz!
    Thanks a lot!
    So, what did Wolfy have to say about the Turbo's Ring time?

Come on already post he pictures!

Quote:
    Fanch said:

if i remember it right, he compared the turbo's time with sportauto results of competing models, illustrated by a bar chart on the TFT screens.

7:49 Turbo*
    7:52 Gallardo
    7:55 F430
    8:16 AM DB9

*i've got no clue if tiptronic or manual.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

if i remeber it right, he compared the turbo's time with sportauto results of competing models, illustrated by a bar chart on the TFT screens.

7:49 Turbo*
    7:52 Gallardo
    7:55 F430
    8:16 AM DB9

*i've got no clue if tiptronic or manual.

Looks good, except for the fact that that time has probably been achieved by Röhrl, therefore v. Saurma would be a tad slower and the 997tt would not beat the Gallardo.

Now that would be quite a bombshell news!

These time announcements from Wiedeking taken by different pilots are just a publicity stunt. Nothing more nor less as the z06 times posted by Corvette...

Thanks for the great report. The 997TT marketing compaign is in full selling mode. They even have RC out there compaigning by claiming the 7:49 time was done in bad weather. Here is something else to consider. It could be Von Saurma or W. Rorhl didn't have a bowel movement before the epic run and thus was heavier during the run.

Quote:
    nberry said: They even have RC out there compaigning by claiming the 7:49 time was done in bad weather.

Jeeez Nick, you don't have to be a aerospace engineer to figure that out... if you know were the ring is located (hint; its not in sunny La Joya) and you know what time of year we are in, you would figure out that it can't be any other way!

Take a look at the current temps and webcam pic:
    http://www.nuerburgring.de/1_nuerburgring/touristenfahrten/index.html#22089

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said: They even have RC out there compaigning by claiming the 7:49 time was done in bad weather.

Jeeez Nick, you don't have to be a aerospace engineer to figure that out... if you know were the ring is located (hint; its not in sunny La Joya) and you know what time of year we are in, you would figure out that it can't be any other way!

Isn't everyone getting tired of this crap? The 997 TT is only alllowed to be driven in snow and ice by a very pro Porsche biased auto reviewer and now the Ring time is driven in bad weather.

When does the brain catch up with the heart and say ENOUGH! The way you guy's are led around with a ring in your nose by Porsche is really nauseating.

WAKE UP!

Shut up dude, you're boring.

We have no idea what the testing date was or the actual weather conditions at that time. Todays weather cam views dont help us guess what the weather was like on a unknown date.

We have no third party observation of the lap time and no third party testing of it.

For any of these lap times to be truly useful for comparison purposes, we need similar track conditions,
    verifiable engine data, tire data and independent drivers.

I suggest that all of manufacturer testing at the ring for public claims and marketing purposes be run by the Irish government. They know blarney when they see it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    bowel movement

Nick--as was your post in question.

Nick, do you have to cock up every thread with your postings?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Isn't everyone getting tired of this crap? The 997 TT is only alllowed to be driven in snow and ice by a very pro Porsche biased auto reviewer and now the Ring time is driven in bad weather.

When does the brain catch up with the heart and say ENOUGH! The way you guy's are led around with a ring in your nose by Porsche is really nauseating.

WAKE UP!

Winter

Quote:
    nberry said:

WAKE UP!

Nick, enough with the "world conspiracy theories" ... its kind of difficult to "move" the N'ring to a more convenient location for you. The Turbo comes out now and they lapped the ring in the conditions they had. The Turbos do not hide from the weather unlike your spider
    Just wait until spring comes and you will see testing in good weather as well of course I have a feeling that won't satisfy you either

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776548 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441427 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262631 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260780 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85070 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815535 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM