Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera S or Sport Design Wheels

My car is arriving at the port on 3/17.

Need to finalize the decision on the wheels. Which one do you guys like better? 19" Carrera S or 19" Sport Design Wheels?

Re: Carrera S or Sport Design Wheels

Sport Design gets my vote.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Sport Design gets my vote.

Me too , the finish on them is in a different league ..

throt..

That was my choice with no regrets whatsoever, I'm so glad haven't got BUT the SportDesign wheels. That's my opinion... SportDesign all the way

I switched from Sport Design to Carrera Classics. Cleaning Sport Design's is a nightmare.

I started with the classics because I heard cleaning the others was a headache. No regrets!

If you have PCCB's get sport design. If not, get the Carrera classics.

Sport Design definitely.

Quote:
    baboo said:
    I switched from Sport Design to Carrera Classics. Cleaning Sport Design's is a nightmare.

I had mine "proteched" and just have to spray with their product on the wheel and than highpressure cleaning , finished!
    I never have to clean them manually.
    They are cleaned weekly though.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    If you have PCCB's get sport design. If not, get the Carrera classics.

Why would PCCB make a difference between Carrera S and Sport Design Wheels? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

PCCB...is the difference - my understanding is that because the brake disc is a carbon fiber and ceramic compound that it almost eliminates brake dust....so the wheels will not require frequent cleaning.

Perosnally I like the Carrera S wheel because it's the most "muscular" looking. IMO, the Sport Design are too busy, too BMW-like. Had the Carrera Sports been an option when I ordered my '06 back in June of '05 I would gone with them.

I wound up ordering the XRR Carrera Sport wheels (newest wheel available) because they are 1/2 wider both front and rear on the S. (With the PCCBs I don't expect a cleaning issue).

Dan

Thanks for all the input, what do you guys think of black rims on black 997s?

Don't like painted rims personally...

Definitely sport design (i ve changed last wheel my carrera S to sport design)

i ordered last week carrera S wheels.

Sport Design are too busy for me, I agree they are nice and good looking, but i evaluate them as too common because that style of rims, has been used extensively by:

1)BMW
    2)Audi
    3)Honda S2000

and many aftermarket companies....

On the other hand, Carrera Clasics are very classy and nice...But 2 reasons i rejected them on my mind..

Althought they are very nice and "less is more" philoshophy

1)They are simular and in the same philosophy of previous Porsche models, 996 carrera II and so on....So at the end of the day you end up with a wheel simular to previous 911's

2)they are also very simular to the Carrera III 18" wheels that the base 3.6 997 features as standard....
    So it does not differentiate from the standard wheel of the 3,6 base model

3)As i already have the carrera III on my car, i thought that it will be a change NOT noticeable by my eye or even others.. So i thought of it as an unjustified cost that it will not differentiate my car..from its present appearance...

Moreover, the carrera S wheel has some benefits like:

1) Its TOTAL new design philosophy.
    2) Its impressive appearance(always my personal opinion)
    3) Its aggresive and muscular stance
    4) Relatively easy to clean...

And something last but not least..

Every Porsche model had its own wheel type...

Like the 993, 996, Boxster 987 and Cayman...
    Now it is in myh understanding that the CARRERA S wheel is the wheel type that caracterizes the 997 carrera.It was presented with that wheel and will most probably be remembered in the future with that wheel...
    So i d like to have my car with the wheel it best described the 997

And note that not only the carrera S was introduced with that wheel BUT ALSO ,the basic 3.6 model, was presented to the press and brochures, very ofter ,with the same carrera S wheel !!!

Of course thats just my opinion, because every wheel is nice and disegned to fit one's own taste..
    One thing is sure, with the beautifull design of the 911, every porsche wheel is very attractive..

PS. I also rejected the new Carrera Sport wheel because i thought that its width 8.5 front and 11.5 rear was TOO MUCH for my car and had to be fitted with 305-30 19 on the rear only...
    lus it cannot take 5mm spacers and in the 4 models can be combined with 17mm rear spacers...

Have fun..

I Totally agree with you DILLINGER

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    I Totally agree with you DILLINGER

Plus it'll also save you money must say the Carrera Sport is very tempting though!

A similar version of the Carrera S wheel design can been seen on the Ford Escape. The Lobster Claw thing (little notches at ends of spokes) along with badge-shaped cut outs at hub, is not unique to Porsche.

I love the Sport Design Wheels on my Club Coupe--they take a bit longer to clean, but it's not that bad. It may take me 5 minutes longer than the Turbo look wheels on my Boxster S.

I use a Microfiber Wash Mit when washing mine. Just wrap your fingers (inside the wash mit) around each spoke, go up and down each spoke one at a time, and you're done in no time.

I hate sport designs - far too long to get them clean, and almost impossible to do the insides

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    I love the Sport Design Wheels on my Club Coupe--they take a bit longer to clean, but it's not that bad. It may take me 5 minutes longer than the Turbo look wheels on my Boxster S.

I use a Microfiber Wash Mit when washing mine. Just wrap your fingers (inside the wash mit) around each spoke, go up and down each spoke one at a time, and you're done in no time.

Like Percymon said, WHAT about the inside of the rim ??
    The outside shouldn't be a problem, IMO it isn't more difficult to clean them than the outsides of the Carrera S rims, but with the latter you can shine the insides effortlessly, and FOR ME that's VERY IMPORTANT

I also preffer the Carrera S rims and totally agree with your arguments Dilinger. One thing that is annoying to my concern is that the brake-callipers are not visible enough and hidden behind all the spokes. Especially if you have PCCB I think it looks way better with Carrera S wheel or Carrera Classics... But that's just my two cents and at the end the only decision point will be personal taste and preferences!

Good luck with your decision

Hey if you want black wheels you can't get the SPORT DESIGN. I tried to get the factory painted (they wouldn't) and then when the car came I realised why...the joint between the spokes and the rim is NOT clean...since its a one piece wheel. That means painting it black would leave a slightly imprecise edge..unless its ALL BLACK. I'm looking at aftermarket for my black wheels with polished rims (HREs)

I love the Gemballa Racing 19" Wheels, but many people think they are too busy.

http://www.gemballausa.com/view.asp?mod=997&imid=g97_sz_19R&nnim=3&view=1#

http://www.gemballausa.com/winfo.asp?whl=racing19

You're right - they are too busy!

Carrera S wheels are the ones this model will be remembered for. Wonder what the 998 wheels will look like - anyone like a shot at it in Photoshop?

Quote:
    Freak 2 said:
    Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:

Like Percymon said, WHAT about the inside of the rim ??
    The outside shouldn't be a problem, IMO it isn't more difficult to clean them than the outsides of the Carrera S rims, but with the latter you can shine the insides effortlessly, and FOR ME that's VERY IMPORTANT

Inside of the rims is easy--when new, I removed the wheels waxed the insides, and they rinse clean enough that I don't feel "dirty" not being able to sponge out the inside of the rims on a regular basis. Also, because of the spokes, you don't see nearly as much inside rim surface, shiny or dull. So it matters a whole lot less.

A concourse guy, is probably not gonna like them. Me, I don't sweat a little, virtually unseen inner wheel rim dirt.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    I love the Gemballa Racing 19" Wheels, but many people think they are too busy.

http://www.gemballausa.com/view.asp?mod=997&imid=g97_sz_19R&nnim=3&view=1#

http://www.gemballausa.com/winfo.asp?whl=racing19

Now those rims look awesome!!
    Any idea how much for a set of those?

Here in UAE the rears are approx USD1500 ea "tax free" but am sure they'll be cheaper in USA

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760499 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434262 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259959 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871168 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806318 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM