Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2013 Cayman/Boxster-Spy Shots

I'm actually pretty sure that the Cayman won't have the same rear as the Boxster (lights and that spoiler thingie) but I can't exclude that cost was more important than looks. I still have hopes...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

I'm actually pretty sure that the Cayman won't have the same rear as the Boxster (lights and that spoiler thingie) but I can't exclude that cost was more important than looks. I still have hopes...

Thanks RC -- it would be great to see the next generation Porsche Cayman with a more individuality for the rear styling! Smiley

Maybe the front view of the new Cayman will look a bit like this...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Nope, I'm afraid not. You need to understand that the Cayman is more of an entry level model which has the purpose to give owners a taste of the 911, as weird as this may sound. Clever marketing but the Cayman will never hurt the 911 in any way. Porsche takes care of that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

My thoughts exactly Smiley.  But now is the time to differentiate the product lines with something different in the rear of the Cayman and possibly different head lights design.

--
    Happy Driving

Agreed -- it does look like there will be significant competition for the next Porsche Cayman...

PORSCHE CAYMAN: FUTURE COMPETITORS

Alfa Romeo 4C (2012)

Audi R4 (2013)

Audi R8 (2014)

BMW M3 (2013)

Ginetta G60 (2012)

Honda NSX (2013)

Jaguar C-X16 (2012)

Lexus LF-LC coupe concept (2013)

Lotus Exige S V6 (2012)

Subaru BRZ Concept STI (2012)

Smiley SmileySmiley

I think the jag is the one to watch...

by the way, and I know I'm being a big stupid, and a bit slow here, but how did you come up with "Boxster Coupe GTS"  as a name..?!!!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Porsche Cayman (2013) - the new Cayman Mk2...

(26 January 2012)

Porsche is beavering away on the replacement for its Cayman coupe, aka the tin-top Boxster. CAR understands that the new 2013 Cayman will be shown at the Los Angeles auto show in autumn 2012.

Sales in Europe will kick off in spring 2013 - a year after the new 981-spec Boxster, which goes on sale in the UK in April 2012.

What's new on the 2013 Porsche Cayman?

This is an all-new car, again based heavily on the 2012 Boxster unveiled earlier this month. As our artist's impression shows, the new 2013 Cayman is essentially a coupe version of the Boxster and we expect the same stylistic treatment to keep the duo identifiably as a family duo.

Handily, that also keeps the production costs down. The new Cayman and Boxster will both be built in Stuttgart, after Porsche ended its contract for Valmet to build them in Finland. There aren't many more build slots for the existing Cayman left, apparently.

Engines, tech changes on the 2013 Cayman

The 1996 Boxster cleverly recycled much of its hardware from the 996, enabling Porsche to engineer and manufacture it more efficiently and bring it to market for around two-thirds the cost of the 911. This neatly explains why the new Boxster arrives so soon after the new 991 - the two are again closely related and both roll out of the same factory at Zuffenhausen.

So the Cayman - and Boxster and new 911 - boast a roster of new engines which sup up to 15% less fuel and despite a growth spurt the Cayman is expected to be 'considerably' lighter model for model thanks to an aluminium-intensive construction. We expect it to follow the Boxster's footprint, which means a wheelbase stretched lengthways by around 125mm and widthways with a 50mm wider track.

There are no radical shocks in store under the mid-mounted bonnet. Both engines at launch are flat sixes fueled by direct injection: the Cayman's shrinks back to 2.7 yet still kicks out 261bhp. The Cayman S will stick with a 3.4-litre capacity but ups the power by five horsepower to 311bhp. Both engines come as standard with the seven-speed manual cogfest you'll find in the 911.

The new Cayman: more economical

Porsche now spends as much effort on cutting consumption as carving corners, so the new Cayman will be equipped with a raft of fuel-saving technology. The engines will cut out at traffic lights and automatically restart; there's a clever thermal management system to heat and cool the engine and transmission efficiently; power steering is now electro-mechanical; and the seven-speed twin-clutch PDK gearbox is long-legged enough to promise around 37mpg on the Cayman. Yes, the days of travelling forty miles on gallon in a sporty Porsche are not far away.

But it's not all about low CO2 and Greenpeace hugs. The Cayman is likely to match its soft-top brethren with a 0-62mph time of 5.0sec, its little brother just seven-tenths behind. Cunningly, still just a bit slower than a 911, see?

Fansite forums had earlier been abuzz with rumours that the Cayman wouldn't be replaced; it is comfortably the slowest selling Porsche in the current line-up - despite its critical excellence.

Despite being the cheapest model in Porsche's line-up, Brits buy around 1000 Boxsters a year but Porsche GB expects that to swell by around 50% this year when the new model arrives.

Porsche Cayman (2013) - the new Cayman Mk2 - Car magazine link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche Cayman spotted testing in Germany...

(2 February 2012)

Out sneaky photographers have managed to snap spy photos of the upcoming 2013 Porsche Cayman on the streets in Germany.

Camoed-up, the test mule reveals little, although an interior shot does show that the Cayman will borrow from the recently revealed 2013 Boxster when it comes to the interior.

When it does arrive later this year, also look for familiar engines, with a base 2.7-liter flat-six making around 275 hp, while a larger 3.4-liter on the Cayman S should deliver around 325 hp – a number just ahead of its soft-top counterpart. With the PDK dual-clutch transmission and the Sport Chrono package, the new Cayman S should achieve a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds or less.

Sharing a light weight aluminum chassis with the Boxster, making it both wider and longer than the current car, expect significant weight savings, as well as a big improvement in fuel economy.

2013 Porsche Cayman spotted testing in Germany -- AutoGuide link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche Cayman Spy Shots...

(1 February 2012)

Over the past year or so we’ve seen countless images of prototypes for the Cayman, which will hit the market this year alongside the redesigned 2013 Boxster. These images are the first of the new Cayman in winter testing, heading off a frozen lake on the way back to the development lab.

As with the current model, the new Cayman will essentially be a hard-top version of the Boxster, with the two sharing everything from interior panels to powertrains and wheel designs. In terms of styling, the prototype appears to have a much more fluid design than the current model. It also appears to have a lower rear profile and a much larger rear window.

Development of the new Cayman is nearly complete, with the current testing likely to validate production-intent designs in the Cayman's platform. Drivetrain specifications should come in just a tick above the Boxster's potent figures: in base form, the Boxster uses a 2.7-liter flat six to generate 265 horsepower, while the Boxster S gets a 3.4-liter engine good for 315 horsepower. They run to 60 mph in 5.4 and 4.7 seconds, respectively, when equipped with the seven-speed PDK transmission. We expect the Cayman to add 10-20 horsepower to the Boxster's figures, shaving a tenth or two of its acceleration times.

An all-new interior, very similar to the Boxster's, is also a given, bringing refined design, quality materials, and a fresh new look that's in harmony with the rest of the new Porsche range.

We don't have long to wait now for the official specs, details, and pricing on the 2013 Porsche Cayman, as it should make its debut in the next few months.

2013 Porsche Cayman Spy Shots -- Motor Authority

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche Cayman S - First Look...

We’ve already caught a glimpse of the 2013 Porsche Cayman undergoing testing on Germany’s Autobahn. But these illustrations of the next-generation Cayman S give us an even clearer idea as to the direction Porsche plans to take its mid-engine sports car. Like the black prototype seen in Germany, the new Cayman doesn’t appear wildly different in appearance or intent. Befitting a well-engineered Porsche product, the changes are more evolutionary.

The rear hatch has a more flush appearance than before, and the entire back of the car looks rounder and with a shorter overhang. It’s an altogether smoother and cleaner design, even though it takes more than a quick glance to spot the changes. The same is true up front, where the headlights are slightly more upright and the foglights are better integrated into the front air intakes. The side glass has also been re-profiled.

Probably the most obvious exterior change involves the side intakes, which are more pronounced and larger. There could be a very good reason for this modification, one that’s far beyond the visual appeal they add to the new Cayman. Porsche is reportedly considering adding a flat-4 engine to the range, to serve as a base powerplant. This engine, expected to be 2.5 liters in capacity, is reported to offer more than 350 bhp in turbocharged format.

With that level of output, the current Cayman’s 2.9 and 3.4-liter flat-6 cylinder engines could be squeezed out (though we doubt it). Look for the Cayman S—and any wilder variations Porsche might have planned—to continue with a flat-6, mated to either Porsche’s 7-speed PDK transmission or a 6-speed manual. Porsche has also been busy putting its entire range on a diet, including the new 911 and upcoming Boxster. The next Cayman may weigh significantly less than the outgoing model.

The 2013 Porsche Cayman might make its official debut in early March, at the 2012 Geneva Auto Show.

Smiley SmileySmiley

The silver car's roofline looks like Darth Vader ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

One can see in the spy shots that the Cayman will receive circular fog lights in the fender just as the current model. The frontend and roofline one these renderings are too far from reality.

Circular fog lights are a thing of the past, for Porsche at least.

Don't count on them any more.

Roofline will be less rounded and more linear than this drawing.  Rear window will be larger and traverse lower into the hatchback towards the rear bumper,  and rear quarter windows will be larger with a more linear shape.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Agreed -- it does look like there will be significant competition for the next Porsche Cayman...

PORSCHE CAYMAN: FUTURE COMPETITORS

Alfa Romeo 4C (2012)

Audi R4 (2013)

Audi R8 (2014)

BMW M3 (2013)

Ginetta G60 (2012)

Honda NSX (2013)

Jaguar C-X16 (2012)

Lexus LF-LC coupe concept (2013)

Lotus Exige S V6 (2012)

Subaru BRZ Concept STI (2012)

Smiley SmileySmiley

Audi R5 (2014)

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche Cayman spy pics...

(29 July 2012)

"Over the past year or so we’ve seen countless images of prototypes for the new, second-generation Porsche Cayman, which will hit the market later this year alongside the redesigned 2013 Boxster.

These latest images show a prototype for the new Cayman in its final stages, confirming that development of the car is nearing completion.

As with the current model, the new Cayman will essentially be a hard-top version of the Boxster, with the two sharing everything from interior panels to powertrains and wheel designs.

In terms of styling, the new Cayman appears to have a much more fluid design than the current model. It also appears to have a lower rear profile and a much larger rear window.

Drivetrain specifications should come in just a tick above the Boxster's potent figures: in base form, the Boxster uses a 2.7-liter flat six to generate 265 horsepower, while the Boxster S gets a 3.4-liter engine good for 315 horsepower. They run to 60 mph in 5.4 and 4.7 seconds, respectively, when equipped with the seven-speed PDK transmission. We expect the Cayman to add 10-20 horsepower to the Boxster's figures, shaving a tenth or two off its acceleration times.

An all-new interior, very similar to the Boxster's, is also a given, bringing refined design, quality materials, and a fresh new look that's in harmony with the rest of the new Porsche range.

The good news is that we don't have long to wait now for the official specs, details, and pricing on the new Cayman, as the car is expected to be revealed in full at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show in late November."

2013 Porsche Cayman spy pics -- Motor Authority link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I've seen several new Boxsters on the street lately and am very enamored with the new styling.  Photographs do not do justice to the new design, which is very powerful and aggressive.  Several posts suggested that the Boxster looked similar to the last Toyota MR2 - there is no comparison!

The new Cayman should be stunning and a car with tremendous appeal to the driving enthusiast.  I've contacted my local dealer and am waiting for more details before pulling the trigger!

I don't understand all this LA Show-reveal-BS! Is it really possible that they are gonna miss Paris and chose a rather annonimous motorshow for quite a major introduction?!!

I think the US is a more important market for the Cayman, than is Europe.

I think Porsche has a number of introductions planned for this fall and has split them between Paris & LA Show. Look for the 991  C4&C4S and  the 991 GT3 at the Paris show. Along with the 991 intros we may see a Panamera Concept Car. So like with Panamera GTS which was introduced at LA, so too will we see the Cayman introducced there.  The Cayman like the C2 & C2S Cabs have a strong following here in the US. The LA intro will put cars in US dealers  February - Early March 2013.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

2013 Porsche Cayman photoshop...

...thanks and all due credit to CarraraDesign!

Looking forward to the LA Auto Show! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Having had the 987 Cayman I would never again pay the silly surcharge for one over a Boxster. enlightened A low mileage used 911 is in a different league, vastly better value ( for the likely price of  981 Cayman S with a few extra bits you could buy a pristine GTS) and it won't suffer the huge depreciation drop.

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

great render, except that Cayman won't have rounded fogs any more. It's gonna be the linear DRL, as on Boxster!kiss

dreamcar:

Having had the 987 Cayman I would never again pay the silly surcharge for one over a Boxster. enlightened A low mileage used 911 is in a different league, vastly better value ( for the likely price of  981 Cayman S with a few extra bits you could buy a pristine GTS) and it won't suffer the huge depreciation drop.

I'm sure we've all read about your unhappiness with your 987 Cayman but, speaking as someone who also owned a Cayman S (without PASM), I have to say that I had a very different experience - I did not find the suspension too hard or uncomfortable, having used the car as a daily driver and having done a number of long trips in it.  In fact, I found it to be a superb driver's car

Also, as someone who prefers a coupe to a convertible, I gladly paid the "silly" surcharge for the Cayman over a Boxster - and would do so again.  What's my point?  Simply that opinions and preferences differ, making it impossible to generalise about "good" and "bad".

PureBlue:

Also, as someone who prefers a coupe to a convertible, I gladly paid the "silly" surcharge for the Cayman over a Boxster - and would do so again.  What's my point?  Simply that opinions and preferences differ, making it impossible to generalise about "good" and "bad".

Superb driver's car - yes, no argument. But my opinion stands on the value for money of buying used rather than new, regardless of opinions and preferences of the Cayman's abilities. FYI my grief wasn't so much with the car but the dealer's advice.

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

2013 Porsche Cayman testing alongside 991 Turbo...

Porsche 981 Cayman testing alongside 991 Turbo -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche Cayman road testing in San Marino...

2013 Porsche Cayman road testing in San Marino -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Isn't this the third thread with absolutely same content about Cayman pics from San Marino?

That rear end panel looks bizarre. Hopefully it's deep camouflage.

KresoF1:

Isn't this the third thread with absolutely same content about Cayman pics from San Marino?

Yeah, some members seem to get great pleasure in posting the same material on multiple threads 1351262811452free-innocent-smileys-421.gif

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803159 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448550 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266104 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90043 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6577 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885672 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833217 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM