Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Sad news :(

This is really very sad. This is why I do not pass cars on the right on the Autobahn at very high speeds because their drivers, including and especially truck drivers, always make driving mistakes. They look only very shortly into their left side rear view mirror and then move to the left without realizing that in the second they didn't look, a car driving at a very high speed can approach already. They also almost always do not use their turn signal, which in my opinion should be handled as a crime. Seriously. On the german Autobahn, I would say that at least 50% of the drivers do not use their turn signal. I don't know why but this is just insane.

You don't stand however any chance against crazy drivers: I remember driving with almost 280 kph on the speedo in our  BMW X5M on the far left lane on a five(!) lane Autobahn. There was only one single car on the far right lane and he suddenly moved from the far right lane to the far left lane and forced me into an emergency braking and avoiding maneuver, which almost made me loose control. I was only a cm or two from the left middle guarding rail on the Autobahn away and I think I destroyed half of the front tires' tread pattern with that braking and that guy just moved back to the right lane and exited the Autobahn. I didn't catch the license plate but if he did that by purpose, he was just insane. If not, maybe drunk or drugged, no normal driver would do that. These are situations where you really can only hope and pray for the best but you also need to have luck in life. Most drivers would have crashed in the maneuver I did and even for me, it was a close call. Actually the one and only real close call I ever had in a car.

I feel so sorry for the family of the test driver. One of them lives in the building I have my business in, I always talk to him and see some partially camouflaged cars (he usually brings them after dark and leaves early in the morning) and he is a very nice person. I just imagined it would have been him, at least I hope it wasn't.

May he RIP and that truck driver should never get his driver license back. For life.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

That is the one thing I fear most when driving at high speed through Germany, cars/trucks not watching their mirrors. May he rest in peace.

R.I.P 

Just shows how quickly lives can end even when the victim(s) do nothing wrong...mail

This video still sends shivers down my spine every time I see it....

Sudden Crash.wmv

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Just shows how quickly lives can end even when the victim(s) do nothing wrong...mail

Sudden Crash.wmv

Bloody hell - goes to show how suddenly these things can happen. We've returned from Germany a few weeks back and as much as I wanted to give our car the beans on the Autobahn there just wasn't enough clear road to do it. Guys in Audis and Mercedes flew past us maybe they have quicker reactions, but if someone decides to pull out into that left hand lane you have just nowhere to go at high speed. Having said that, lane discipline in Germany is generally a lot better than here in the UK, where too many drivers seem to think that indicating give right of way to pull out......Smiley

My thoughts are with the family and friends of that test driver.

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Very sad. But we don't know how this accident actually happened. Anyway: may he RIP.
    Btw.: I drive on this Autobahn (Munich to Landshut) 2-3 times a week in both directions. Very good high speed area but dangerous at the same time. Thinking about this causes very bad feelings... :-(

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Just read in the "Landshuter Newspaper" that this tragical accident wasn't the Bmw drivers fault. There was no way to avoid this impact as sad as it sounds. The police called the BMW fire brigade as they don't knew how to interupt the hybrid power supply. It seems that this can be very dangerous when fuel is around....
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

dreamcar:
    John H:

Sudden Crash.wmv

Bloody hell - goes to show how suddenly these things can happen. We've returned from Germany a few weeks back and as much as I wanted to give our car the beans on the Autobahn there just wasn't enough clear road to do it. Guys in Audis and Mercedes flew past us maybe they have quicker reactions, but if someone decides to pull out into that left hand lane you have just nowhere to go at high speed. Having said that, lane discipline in Germany is generally a lot better than here in the UK, where too many drivers seem to think that indicating give right of way to pull out......Smiley

My thoughts are with the family and friends of that test driver.

--

Agree, dreamcar,

I just cannot see the point anyway of foot down on a straight motorway road, as you say, if someone does a dodgy you could well be history.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

When you get used to higher speeds, you have a different perspective and control than drivers who aren't used to it. It is a little bit difficult to understand but look at Formula One drivers, for example in Monaco and what their driver view camera shows. 99.9% of us would probably crash after the first minute at these speeds.

On the other hand, high speed Autobahn driving poses a real challenge for drivers...the challenge of not only paying attention to yourself and your driving style but also to others. This is when experience and a good eyesight come in.

Of course there is always some luck involved too but as a general rule, I would never pass a "motorcade" (meaning a couple of cars driving behind of each other on the right lane) at a very high speed, the risk that one of these cars will switch to the left lane ("my" lane) is just too big. 

Sometimes I meet these "idiots" on the Autobahn, when I drive very fast (over 300 kph) and they (the "idiots" I was referring to) are usually behind me indecision and when I see trucks or several cars driving on the right lane, I usually slow down to be prepared for someone actually switching to my lane. So what does that idiot behind me do? He keeps aprox. 1-2 meters distance, telling me to go faster or to pass to the right lane. I usually can't even see their license plates (this is how close they get) in my rear mirror and after I pass the truck(s) and cars, I accelerate again and they fall behind. This "game" goes on and on and on almost forever, I hate it. Oh...I usually pass these trucks and cars at 150-160 kph, so not really very slow but slow enough for me, to react.

Another good advice: If you are not alone in the car, do not get distracted. I usually pay attention to the traffic only, I don't even hear what my kids and wife are talking and even the music is kind of blurry. When I want to participate in a discussion or just listen to music, I drive much slower. Usually, I use speed limits for this kind of entertainment, this is also when I take a sip from a bottle of Coke or whatever. I take high speed driving very seriously (my wife calls me paranoid) and not lightly at all. A fraction of a second and your life and/or the life of your family can be over. Not worth it. Do it right or don't do it. I check my tire pressure, tire bolts and the undercarriage of my car every time before driving on the Autobahn, no kidding. It takes a couple of minutes but it is well worth it. When I park my car, I am very careful not to damage the front or real bumper (or the underside of it for that matter). I also check my car on parking lots, just in case someone bumped into me. I know this sounds crazy but when you drive at speeds over 300 kph, you better be careful.

The most annoying thing on the Autobahn however is the fact that people do not use their turn signals. This should be a criminal offense, seriously. I can adapt to many situations but if someone suddenly switches to my lane without using the turn signal, this is really a serious problem. Sometimes I get the feeling that people are overwhelmed with driving, the multitasking (steering, looking in the rear view mirrors, braking, accelerating, changing gear(s), applying the clutch, using the turn signal, etc.) seems to be a serious challenge for many. Maybe people should be reminded every couple of years how important it is to use the turn signal. It can be vital.

A last advice for younger (inexperienced) drivers: If you are afraid at higher speeds, keep it slower. Your mind actually wants to tell you something... Smiley If you aren't afraid at higher speeds, if you don't feel anything in your stomach, then you better start getting a reality check before it is too late. This doesn't mean you are fearless or a good driver, this means that you don't have a clue of what you are doing and sooner or later, you'll end up dead. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

kiss well said. 100 % aggree on that.

I did get a few km's of clear autobahn, managed 270 km/h briefly, but that was fast enough for me.  

--

dreamcar:

I did get a few km's of clear autobahn, managed 270 km/h briefly, but that was fast enough for me.  

Don't think that this is much different when I drive on the Autobahn. I am happy when I can go 240-280 kph for a couple of km without having to substantially lower speed and driving at speeds over 300 kph is almost impossible during daytime lately, only for a very short period (but very often Sunday mornings Smiley) of time. I do not drive that fast at night, many think it is safe but it is actually the other way around. There is no traffic at night, right but you can't see too far and it is even enough if a smaller animal is in your path or a piece of a truck tire or whatever. Do not drive that fast at night, this is actually the most dangerous thing one can do, even if it feels safe. It is not.

--

Wow, what a tragic accident. May the driver Rest in Peace.

But this brings me to the common problem of the Autobahn.. when are they finally imposing a complete 100% truck passing ban.. it's stupid, these idiot truckers show no respect and often use their mass to make space. One is going 91km/h the other 93km/h.. do you really have to pass? I mean after ten hours of driving you will be 20km ahead of him! I see it so many times driving on the Autobahn.. whenever there are 3 lanes, you can pretty much forget about the two right lanes... it's absurd. So many accidents could be avoided if these idiot truckers are BANNED completely from passing. If there's a slower truck, below 80km/h is illegal, let him pull over at a rest point... they are everywhere. 

Crazy story. I was approaching a major traffic jam (means from low traffic to complete stop) and some trucker decided to try to pass another truck on a 3 lane hwy except he forget some bloke in his X6 right in that space... X6 driver had amazing response and pulled over to the left lane in between two cars.. He then went in front of the trucker and slammed his brakes to a full stop!

As RC says, turn signals are a must, but they don't give right of way either. So many pull out AS they indicate.. you are supposed to indicate BEFORE making the move. But, more important I think is the trucker passing ban. I remember dozens of situations where my dad was driving 250km/h+ on an mostly empty Autobahn with just a few trucks.. well imagine how many times he had to slam the brakes because some guy pulled out in between two close trucks... A couple of times we had a swerve over and pass everyone on the shoulder... at 200km/h+ this is a VERY VERY scary experience but the E55 handled it well everytime. If I drive fast it is only on completely empty stretches.. as soon as I approach just a single truck I ease off the accelerated and prepare myself... it's just too risky.

Top legal speed in Kansas about 120kph, in Missouri about 112kph. You guys have it so good!

Driving at night? are there no deer left in Europe? 

We did recently pass a law that you can no longer loiter in the left lane if you are not acutally passing another car!

It is pretty remedial, but at least it is progress.  mail

Gladstone:

Top legal speed in Kansas about 120kph, in Missouri about 112kph. You guys have it so good!

Top speed in the UK is 70mph (112 km/h), so the very occasional run on the Autobahn is a rare treat for us, believe me. Here, if you get caught driving 100mph (160 km/h) + it's a guaranteed licence loser for a minimum of 3 months. Smiley

Normally if you drive sensibly at up to 85mph  (136 km/h) on the motorways, in good weather the fuzz will normally turn a blind eye, at worst get pulled in and cautioned.

--

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GLADSTONE!!!

50!

Gladstone:

Driving at night? are there no deer left in Europe? 

Deers (and other larger animals) usually don't cross the Autobahn because there is that metal guard rail in the middle and they usually can't get passed it. Well...usually...usually...of course it can happen. This is why I do not like it to drive at very high speeds at night. I usually stick to the visibility range of my lights.

--

Also around forests and dear areas they put a high fence!

Lars997:
    Also around forests and dear areas they put a high fence!

Smiley Yep, forgot about that.

--

Deers are no issues but Dutch people are angry

Kidding aside, the Autobahn is pretty damn safe in itself. People should also know how much thicker and better the surfaces are and how much wider the lanes.. ideal for higher speeds. In congestion it's however a pretty bad idea.. I've seen expensive fast cars race through a construction site at 150km/h+ enlightened Think left lane 2.01m width and 80km/h speed limit.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM