Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren P1 - Official

Here is the official release:

McLaren Automotive announces performance figures for the McLaren P1™

• Instant Power Assist System (IPAS) provides astonishing acceleration: 0 to 300 km/h (186 mph) in less than 17 seconds, more than 35% faster than the legendary McLaren F1
    • Top speed electronically limited to 350 km/h (218 mph)
    • The production number has been limited to 375 units
    • Base price in the US is $1,150,000
    • Fully equipped as standard for road and track use
    • Production model is almost unchanged from the original design study

McLaren Automotive has announced the final numbers, images and information relating to the McLaren P1™ ahead of a global reveal in just a few days at the 83rd International Geneva Motor Show.

The race-inspired Instant Power Assist System (IPAS) gives the McLaren P1™ astonishing performance. Zero to 100km/h (62 mph) will take less than 3 seconds, zero to 200 km/h (124 mph) in under 7 seconds, and zero to 300 km/h (186 mph) will be achieved in no more than 17 seconds. This is 11 seconds faster than the legendary McLaren F1 road car. Top speed is electronically limited to 350 km/h (218 mph).

The McLaren P1™ has translated to production form with very little changed from the prototype shown at the Paris Auto Show. In fact just one change-the addition of LTR ducts ahead of each of the front wheels to further aid cooling and optimise downforce.

McLaren has announced a global production number of just 375 units – a figure that will ensure the McLaren P1™ will remain a rarity.

McLaren has also announced that the car will have a base price of $1,150,000 in the US and have a specification that fully equips the car for both road and track use. The company prides itself on designing performance cars that their owners can use regularly so the McLaren P1™ comes standard with a comprehensive specification list. The options list is limited to only bespoke content that a customer might wish to add through McLaren Special Operations, and fitted luggage.

As already announced, the McLaren P1™ will have the combined force of two highly-efficient powerplants, offering the optimum mix of superb throttle response, day-to-day drivability and top speed. A mid-mounted 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine is substantially enhanced featuring, for example, larger turbochargers and a highly effective electric motor, to give a combined output of 916PS (903 bhp) and a maximum torque figure of 900Nm. This ensures instantaneous throttle response through the rev range, more akin to a naturally aspirated engine. Emissions of less than 200g/km on the EU combined cycle are reduced to zero in full electric drive mode, while the Formula 1-derived DRS and IPAS technologies offer an increase in straight-line speed and an instant boost of power.

The tires fitted to the McLaren P1™ are specially developed P Zero Corsas, which have been developed with McLaren's technology partner, Pirelli. The team at Pirelli has been involved throughout the entire development program, and this has seen the tire testing phase integrated into the schedule, as a key performance component. The final compound and construction has been developed and optimised during testing, and the end result is a tire that is finely tuned specifically to the performance and handling characteristics.

To rein in the power produced by the twin powerplants, the McLaren P1™ is designed to offer braking performance more associated with a GT3 or sports racing car. Developed by McLaren's Formula 1 partner Akebono, the system features a new type of carbon ceramic disc, which has previously seen service in space, but never before used on a road car. Stronger than conventional carbon ceramic, the material dissipates heat more effectively, giving the highly efficient braking system exceptional stopping and cooling capability. The system also boasts significantly reduced weight, and a bespoke ceramic layer coats both friction surfaces to give an attractive mirrored finish.

The car can also be driven solely in electric mode. In city driving, with an average speed of 30 mph, this could mean up to a 20km range. More than enough for an owner to enter, for example, a city center Zero Emissions Zone, have dinner and return home.

I like it - a lot - but if I'd had a million bucks for a car to spend - I dunno if it would be my first choice... - I would say for 500k EUR it would be a big hit !

I wish there was a weight figure.  

I like the car.  

I was surprised by the 375 production number, I would of thought they would push towards 500 given the Enzo replacement numbers - in a global world like today, 500 of anything is rare.  

I am impressed with all the figures and expect this to be a great driving car.  But the 0-300 KPH of under 17 sec. does put into perspective how crazy the Koenigsegg and Hennissey Venom GT numbers are (14.53 and 13.63 seconds respectively).  people might say that this car isn't aimed for straight speed and I agree.  I am just suggesting that it is interesting to be presented with this sort of perspective.  I also think it would be interesting to know what independents like Koenigsegg or Hennissey could do with a specialty track car if they put their mind and heart to it.  We have already seen the Pagani Zonda R set amazing records.  

My rambling point is that the visionairies who set out with smaller budgets and crazy ideas may still be producing the most exciting cars.  

It's not my cup of tea...in my opinion no timeless look...

I don`t buy this ``designed for aero``claim. It just looks too weird for that. Sure its got great aero figures, but if you`re gonna go this route, then go all the way and make it pure and raw a la F1. That means, no aids, driver position centrally. No BS.

This car looks horrible, especially from the front. Thank god it will absolutely own in terms of performance. For me it`s like the Veyron... easily forgotten about. Certainly won`t see it becoming a bedroom poster dreamcar. The F70 however, will be pretty damn hot I think.. considering the amazing F12. Can`t have it all I guess.

I think the perfect analogy for this car is the fact that McL uses a trademark after every single mention of the P1(™).

JesseBank:

I think the perfect analogy for this car is the fact that McL uses a trademark after every single mention of the P1(™).

Spot on Smiley

I am sure we will see the P1 as fastest amongst the "new" hypercars - certainly not the most desirable - but mainly designed for track-use. I believe the Ferrari is always about a mix of emotions - whereas the Mc approach was purely functionality.

BjoernB:

I am sure we will see the P1 as fastest amongst the "new" hypercars - certainly not the most desirable - but mainly designed for track-use. I believe the Ferrari is always about a mix of emotions - whereas the Mc approach was purely functionality.

IMO McLaren are correct to  exploit a concept different to Ferrari's. In this way they will attract a different sub-niche within the hypercar segment.

Similarly, the MP4 was made to appeal more to technology/functionality buyers rather than the emotionally/sensory biased 458 clientele. 

I wonder how Porsche will place their higher products?

--

"Form follows function"

if you take the 918 - nobody will be able to have similar performance against fuel-consumption. There are a lot of people out there who take "being greener" seriously and indeed have a argument on their side when it comes to the 918. As stated by Porsche - for them it's not about being fastest - but most sophisticated and I am sure they have achieved that. now if you're into that market you can choose great peformance but still being green , vs pure track-car - vs sensory overload..... - however, I would say the Fezza will mostsurely be a good investment too.....

It's got the shape of the McL logo all over the car

--

997 GT3 3.8

McLaren P1 supposedly sold out already.

work of pure art

I don't get why everyone says it will be a pure track car.  I think what is turning people around to like the 12C is its capacity to be track on one hand and most comfortable sports car on the market on the other hand.  The P1 will have the same suspension, so I guess it will be more road friendly than any of the other hypercars.  Maybe everyone is just talking about looks and I am missing the boat, but if they are talking about capability then I predict that the P1 will have the dual personality of its little brother, making it the most versatile hypercar.  

Just got an email from Mclaren with an interesting tidbit that I hope is not a repost:

Performance is a key factor with the McLaren P1™, with Ron Dennis explaining: ‘The McLaren P1™ is all about being the ultimate car for road and track, and our goal is to lap the Nürburgring Nordschleife in sub-7 minutes.’

Ron Dennis actually said it clearly at the Geneva press conference that P1 WILL do the NS under 7 min.

best, w

McLaren P1 engine running...

McLaren P1 engine running -- Autocar video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Such an unimpressive sound.  What a disappointment! 

Sound is very average indeed! But 900BHP.... wow!

If you notice at 1:17, there are two pipes sticking out of the exhaust, which could explain that this is still a prototype and it's a Validation Prototype if I'm not mistaken. So I doubt this is the final sound. kiss

I think the side profile of this car looks really good and you can see great elements of the F1.  However, from the front, it still looks cartoonish (maybe this wont be so in person).  I don't think the contrasting colors work for the front grille.  If it were a dark color then maybe it would not be such a big deal

I've not decided yet whether I like or not. It is for sure something! 

Just to mention and I am not advertizing anything but the company I work for is supplying a bunch of parts to McLaren for the P1 :-) 

I have visited many time the manufacturing for this project. Really really impressive.

^The company you work for supplied parts for LaFerrari and P1?

Yes :-)

911ster:

Yes :-)

Oh come on give us a little more insight on these cars. Smiley

Well to be honnest, they are pritty shy to give information...

It is growing on me a lot actually. But one thing remains, it's the driver position.. why on Earth would take not have gone for the central driver position and then have another 3 seater a la F1. Really only practicality reasons ruined such a unique and performance focused layout? not to mention the historic tie to the legendary F1. Apart from the terrible front design, I think this car will look pretty great in black.. it hides the front black bits.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather (Canada)
    1991 BMW 318i Brilliantrot/Black Leather (Germany)

Ex: '89 525i, '74 280E, '87 325is, '86 325e, '05 FF, '85.5 944

Atzporsche:

It is growing on me a lot actually. But one thing remains, it's the driver position.. why on Earth would take not have gone for the central driver position and then have another 3 seater a la F1. Really only practicality reasons ruined such a unique and performance focused layout? not to mention the historic tie to the legendary F1. Apart from the terrible front design, I think this car will look pretty great in black.. it hides the front black bits.

I think the reason why it's no 3 seater is the chassis that has been taken from the 12C. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

I think the reason why it's no 3 seater is the chassis that has been taken from the 12C. Smiley

Smiley

Jean:

Such an unimpressive sound.  What a disappointment! 

I concur. Both the MP412ACDEFG4.01 (why not make the name a bit longer, Mclaren?) and the P1 are aurally underwhelming in my opinion.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688147 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408528 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65322 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857433 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM