Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren P1 - Official

More interesting P1 development.

Seems like there is currently 2 cancellations in the USA allocation and McLaren North America is courting to see if anyone is still interested to buy before they release the allocation to rest of the world. I just got an email from McLaren about it. 

Also found out someone in the USA is selling their allocation for $250k. 

--

Mclaren has announced P15 is in the works, slotting between 12C and P1. Perhaps this is P1 without battery pack.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-400k-mclaren-p15-supercar-confirmed

If Mclaren continue to lead such a business of making the same cars with different hp output - they will fail...

--

sportcars-history.com

Why not, makes good business sense to use the same platform and engine and make as many variants as possible to maximize the investment. Casio made billions using the same G-Shock core but different exterior.

Customers, if they knew the full details, won't be happy but those will be a minority, majority won't know, won't care about the same gut, they just want the McLaren badge. 

--

kudryavchik:

If Mclaren continue to lead such a business of making the same cars with different hp output - they will fail...

Everyone does it and component sharing is massive within the VW group.

Different HP and different design is all you need. There is no reason to spend a bunch of money designing new stuff just for the sake of designing new stuff.

I wonder how healthy financially McLaren really is? I have no idea, but companies like McLaren use a lot of publicity to project an image of prosperity which is usually false. Why would McLaren succeed with 2-3 sportscar models when everybody else failed (from Lamborghini and Maserati to Lotus and Aston Martin) and either found a wealthy parent or went into a series of bankruptcies with numerous changes of owners?

If the F1 tie-up with Honda works well, I can see the Japanese being convinced to take a stake in McLaren in the coming years. OTOH, the F1 team which has been McLaren's showcase, is slipping behind to the extent that it could possibly become the next Williams. Personally, I don't see positive prospects for both the F1 Team or the Automotive arm. But of course I could be proven totally wrong yes

--

"Form follows function"

McLaren P1 - Autocar video review...

McLaren P1 - Autocar video review - Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I believe it is the worst review by autocar for a long time...What is this video about?

--

sportcars-history.com

It's about the best drivers car in the world - Directed by SS smiley

The King is Dead! Long live the King!

Arguably that's the second best, after the McLaren F1. Or 3rd, behind the Carrera GT.

--

Whoopsy:

Arguably that's the second best, after the McLaren F1. Or 3rd, behind the Carrera GT.

I would argue an original Lotus Elan is a better drivers car than any of those.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

Haha, if we bring those into the discussion I would say the original Miata MX-5.

--

Whoopsy:
    Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

Haha, if we bring those into the discussion I would say the original Miata MX-5.

Agreed, also a better drivers car. I've only driven IN an F1 an don't have a huge amount of time behind the wheel of a CGT but neither struck me as tossable, easy drivers cars. I had to fight the CGT. Fast and potent but hard to drive really close to its limit. The edge on a miata or an elan is a mile wide, on a CGT it's a hair wide.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:
    Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

Agreed, also a better drivers car. I've only driven IN an F1 an don't have a huge amount of time behind the wheel of a CGT but neither struck me as tossable, easy drivers cars. I had to fight the CGT. Fast and potent but hard to drive really close to its limit. The edge on a miata or an elan is a mile wide, on a CGT it's a hair wide.

Yes, fast "analogue" cars, like the CGT aren't easy to drive. Just ask Jay Leno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV_4QBLU-UA

Just saw the topgear item of the P1, and have to say; it looks and sounds absolutely stunning!
    I still can't get over the fact that the greenhouse seems abnormally high compared to the rest of the body, but there are a lot of stunningly beautiful lines on this car.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Harris drove the P1 today at Yas Marina - seems suitably impressed...

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey

WOW great Top Gear program this week. Can't wait for the Top Gear lap time in a few weeks. 

Can't wait for the 918, P1 and LaFerrari head to head.....

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

JesseBank:

Harris drove the P1 today at Yas Marina - seems suitably impressed...

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey

That should make a great video...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Just finished watching the Top Gear P1 episode.

It is a epic car. Plain and simple. It also has fantastic road presence. It's impossible not to know it's is a serious hyper car.

Like the 918, it has a electric only mode and it's just eerie watching it drives around town silently. Knowing it's potential performance, it's just unreal how it can be so discreet around town.

But do I regret not getting one? Not a single iota. Watching Clarkson drive it around Spa, it simply is uncontrollable with 900+HP going into only 2 wheels even with McLaren's class leading traction control. Granted it was a rain day, but still.

Clarkson said it perfectly, the interior is not luxurious. For 1.3mil I expect a car to be. My 900k 918 is. It's only a smidge slower than the P1 yet the interior quality is night and day. Hell it's not much better than my 12C and it's costing 4 times as much. 

If we have any member here waiting for delivery of a P1, congrats to you, you will have a epic car. But once in a while my left brain do dominate and decided that the 918 is more 'practical' than the P1, even when it has already lost the battle to my right brain on whether I should get a poster car.

--

Something tells me, that Hamond will be the first jurno, who will drive full power 918 and "Jenifer Clarkson" is very likely to happen... 

On the other hand, TG track is very suitable to the P1, so it will be interesting for sure... 

Had an interesting talk with someone in the car business last weekend and he told me that many high end customers pass on the 918 and go for the P1 and La Ferrari instead. The reason? Some seem to think the 918 is too heavy (no matter how well it performs on the track, buyers are not that much interested in track figures) and not exclusive enough for it's price tag. Many seem to feel offended by Porsche's options prices (particularly the paint and the luggage set) on such an expensive car, they feel that the options should be for free or at least reasonably priced (whatever this means).

Also interesting: Some were willing to pay the same a P1 or La Ferrari costs if the built number was much more limited. Or the other way around, everyone would have bought a 918 if it was priced below 500k..

Apparently exclusivity is very important in this car category and Porsche may have a hard time selling all cars they produce. Which is sad because it is such a wonderful car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Did he tell you how many 918 have been sold so far? Because that is obscure to date.

Anyway, 918 production is not for a limited period. It will carry on (with some upgrades as usual for Porsche) for as long it takes to sell all 918 units.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Did he tell you how many 918 have been sold so far? Because that is obscure to date.

Anyway, 918 production is not for a limited period. It will carry on (with some upgrades as usual for Porsche) for as long it takes to sell all 918 units.

--

"Form follows function"

So far, I heard the number 500 but this was a couple of weeks ago.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

So far, I heard the number 500 but this was a couple of weeks ago.

Not bad for a $1million+ car. And I presume sales will rise when people realize what a technology/performance tour de force it is.

--

"Form follows function"

I still think that the moment the 918 actually hits the roads in Beverly Hills, Miami, Cote d'Azur/Monaco and the Middle East, sales will pick up but I guess current owners would probably prefer to keep the number of sold cars as small as possible. 

--

...they sold more 918 than they will ever build P1's or LaF.....which is big success already. However, the risk is indeed that you will get soon "used" 918er without having sold the whole production yet and should they be considerable cheaper that will hurt sales for the remaining badly.... - I'd rather have all sold before the first customer cars hit the streets - not to worry about resale value. I hope the first customers keep their car for a year or 2....

Porsche had already offered a incentive program to entice owners to keep their cars with the 1st priority VIP program. As long as the customer still owns the 918 the 1st priority is intact and I think it's a pretty good incentive for 'flippers'. They can flip whatever cars Porsche will be offering for the next 10 years.

On another note, I can see the 918 being used more than the P1 and the LaFerrari. Ferraris are never driven anyway and the P1 is too extreme to be driven regularly. The P1 to the 12C is like a tuned GT2RS to a regular 911, it's simply a wild thing.

Also, I think the P1's bodywork will be sand blasted to pieces in no time. From the Top Gear video, unlike the 12C, the P1 has no fenders behind the front wheels, everything gets thrown back onto the aero bits on the doors, those panels will take a major pounding, not to mention the rear diffusers are also in the way of the rear wheels. About the only way to protect the car is to spray it in with a truck bedliner. The 918 is not perfect, I can see at least a couple trouble spots but those are relatively small and hidden areas.

--

Boyko23:

Something tells me, that Hamond will be the first jurno, who will drive full power 918 and "Jenifer Clarkson" is very likely to happen... 

On the other hand, TG track is very suitable to the P1, so it will be interesting for sure... 

Even as a owner of a 918, I still say that's not gonna happened. 

P1 is developed on the TG track. P1's small battery is optimized to run on short tracks like it so the P1 will have max power for the whole lap and the 918 may not even be close in lap times.

--

Whoopsy:

Porsche had already offered a incentive program to entice owners to keep their cars with the 1st priority VIP program. As long as the customer still owns the 918 the 1st priority is intact and I think it's a pretty good incentive for 'flippers'. They can flip whatever cars Porsche will be offering for the next 10 years.

what does 1st Priority VIP status bring in benefits?

what are the terms for flipping into other Porsches?

For the initial owners, we get 1st right of refusal on every limited production models, < 500 ones. We also get 1st dips on  regular production cars, but only one from each model range per year. There is no restriction on selling these allocations. 

But the VIP program only says with the initial owner, for flippers that sells the 918 within 1st 6 months, they benefits ends the day they sell their cars. For owners that keep the car up to 3 years, they gets an extra 3 years from the day they sell. For owners that keep the car more than 3 years they get the full 10 years.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689086 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408957 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255648 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234896 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857805 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773767 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM