Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Used 991 market in UK

Just noticed OPC Guildford have dropped 12/11 Red C2S from £74,990 to £69,900. That's some write-down! Are these really dropping £5k per month?

Smiley

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Re: Used 991 market in UK

bridggar:

Just noticed OPC Guildford have dropped 12/11 Red C2S from £74,990 to £69,900. That's some write-down! Are these really dropping £5k per month?

Smiley

Depreciation is massive on new 991's. To buy new you'd need money to burn, that's for sure. Buy a new one now for say £90k and within 3 months you'd have lost probably a minimum of £30k. Smiley  Two OPC's have told me that due to the economic climate 991's are not selling well at all. The OPC that sold me my 3 year old 997/2 actually said "it won't be long before used 991's are close to your budget". Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

The used market in the UK for cars at this level is dire and the same thing is bound to happen to both the new Boxster and then the new Cayman in turn once the initial orders have been satisfied. You can kiss goodbye to the 20% VAT the minute you drive out the showroom which is something that never used to be the case with a new model. The situation is even worse if you have gone mad on options. The introduction of the 4 and 4S models is only going to make things worse in the short to medium term IMHO as there are too many cars chasing too few buyers so used prices are only going one way. The only non special/limited run Porsche that is currently holding it's value well here is the Cayenne diesel.

I was going to order a new Boxster but am now going to wait until next summer to see what deals there are on used examples as I suspect there will be an abundance of ex demos and pre registered cars around at very favourable prices. Anyone looking to trade in 987 and 997 models are likely to find the bid offers on those frightening.

Well, my 997.1 has hopefully reached a depreciation point which it can't fall too much further from. Whilst I certainly don't have money to waste, I'll be looking at a 5 year ownership proposition with it's replacement again. I'm almost certainly a buyer at the £65k mark so may be there sooner than I'd thought!

--

The 991 Carrera is pretty much already at your budget point. I'd be very surprised if several dealers didn't bite your hand off to sell you a used C2 at that sort of price in the current market.

http://www.porschehost.com/ApprovedStockIframe.asp?opc=19

Bear in mind the value of your 997/1 will also have plummeted and the only figure that matters is the cost to change. As a guideline, OPC Swindon rang me up a month ago trying to flog a used 997/2 that was newer and had marginally closer to our ideal spec than the one we'd bought, even though the overall kit level was much less. Trade on our 997/2 S PDK Sept 08, 24k miles was £40k, although that's only a small drop on what we had paid for the car 6 months previously with 2.5 years warrranty and brand new tyres. We declined as we are more than happy with our car. That car they offered us is still unsold.

But go waving cash and dealers will snap your arm off, no doubt about it. I even thought about making a totally silly offer for one of the fully loaded launch 991's currently being offered - but they aren't that desperate - are they? Smiley
    --

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

I'd like to think I have a realistic expection as to the value left in my car - but agree, cost to change is the important factor. Will keep a close eye on cars coming through given the plate change (although I'm not convinced this is as important as it used to be). I find my OPC (Hatfield) always seems to be on higher side on pricing, that said they are part of the same group as Guildford so may soften.

--

Yes pricing seems to very between one OPC and another - much like servicing. Bournemouth are high on used car prices compared with my other nearest OPC's (Mid Sussex and Swindon). But by far the cheapest on servicing - £300 less than the most expensive quote I got for our car's 4 year service. So much for "menu pricing"!!

--

Hatfield and Guildford are both part of Porsche GB. You are more likely to get a good deal at one of the other independent groups such as Sytner (Mid Sussex, Solihull, Silverstone etc) or Lancaster Group (eg Cambridge). Always wait until week 3 of each sales quarter (so March, June, September, December) as that's when they will be up against it if trying to meet targets and will be more flexible on price.

And they dropped that car £5k only about a month ago too to £75k... bottom is definitely falling at the moment...

Wonder if they'll take £60k if it's still there in a months time... Smiley

Rich C (UK):

And they dropped that car £5k only about a month ago too to £75k... bottom is definitely falling at the moment...

Great minds think alike.......Smiley

--

Latest SMMT numbers show 702 registrations in July - a 40% increase over last year - but given we've a new 991 & launch 981 were registered - not really unexpected. I believe this equates to just over 20 cars registered per dealer in July. How many of these are demos I wonder?

--

dreamcar:
    Rich C (UK):

Great minds think alike.......Smiley

Well they did knock over 10% off my Spyder in the depths of winter when I bought it from Guildford, and if they don't sell by Dec there's another years warranty they'll have to shell out for.... hmmm

If I hadn't lost so much money over the Cayman debacle with Bournemouth I could well have been interested in a 991 at close to that money. SWMBO would strictly forbid such extravagence now - but she's far more sensible than me Smiley

--

Rich C (UK):

Too late. It's gone. Smiley

--

so perhaps the market is not quite terminal ..

sfo:

No, but definitely in intensive care frown

--

Anybody know If the M5 is selling well, wondered if there any chance on a reduction on that machine. Another invitation through the post from BMW on one of those weekend special sales..

30k loss if 3 months, jeeps, that steep, dreamcar.

@ sfo but we do not know what it sold for...

--

throt!

"I didn't do it"

The M5 isn''t selling particularly well from what I've been told by a friend on the "inside". You should be able to secure a healthy discount on one without too much trouble. Just phone around a few dealers.

throt:

Anybody know If the M5 is selling well, wondered if there any chance on a reduction on that machine. Another invitation through the post from BMW on one of those weekend special sales..

--

throt!

"I didn't do it"

Looking at BMW's used car website there are several available under £60k, down from new price with options of around£25k, so I guess percentage wise dropping about the same as a 991. Much like 991, definitely a buyer's market.

A business colleague of mine recently purchased a low mileage, latest gen M5 - and up until now it has been a total disaster, has had a total of 7 visits to the dealer to fix mechanical issues. Now back with the dealer yet again and told them that if the problems are not fixed he will refuse the car back and demand a full refund.

--

Thanks, ISUK...I find it very tempting..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

dreamcar:
    sfo:

true, but it sold relatively quickly :)

sfo:
    dreamcar:
    sfo:

true, but it sold relatively quickly :)

Yes - someone got an amazing bargain, no doubt about it - a 991S a few months old with all the best bells and whistles and a few more besides, only 3,000 miles for little more than a new well specced Boxster S! 

--

Well, a precedent has been set - we now know they'll drop below £70K for launch cars. Can't see them getting anywhere near the £78K Wilmslow, Nottingham or Leeds are looking for. The Hatfield car is still £74,500 (dropped only £350 this week) but lacks SportChrono, Sport Design wheel & Sport Exhaust (as did the Guildford car). The Hatfield car has also been painted (any curiously, so has the Black car they have) so I wouldn't even make an offer.

See what the end of September brings....

--

bridggar:

The Hatfield car is still £74,500 (dropped only £350 this week) but lacks SportChrono, Sport Design wheel & Sport Exhaust (as did the Guildford car). See what the end of September brings....

All of which can be retro-fitted. Must admit the Leeds car, in my favourite aqua blue that does have all that equipment is by far my choice of the cars on offer - but not at £80k.

--

SportChrono can be retrofitted?

Enzo II:

SportChrono can be retrofitted?

It can on 997 so I assume it can also be, or will at some time be able to be, retrofitted to 991 although sport chrono on 991 also comes with the dynamic engine mounts which I guess can't be retrofitted other than at a price. The only component that can't be retrofitted (on 997) is the stop watch, so I guess the same situation would apply to the 991.

--

@ dreamcar,

Hope your buddy gets his M5 all fixed up. However, do any of you guys know anyone that has had any joy getting a refund or replacement on a high end car ( bmw porsche ).

I had a replacement but it was on a new workhorse Seat.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Friend of a friend had his 2010 Range Rover replaced after 6 months of ownership (and headaches) but it took a fair amount of energy from him to make it happen. (the 2011 replacement car wasn't much better!)

Incidentally, at what price do folks think a 2wd GTS would make sense given the sub £70k price(s) of 991 S? Although there aren't many of them, they still seem to be £60k-70k within the OPC network, would mid £50k's make them a bargain?

--

I wouldn't pay more than £45k for an early GTS.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM