Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Panamera Turbo S is almost ready

RC Glad to hear that you got a quick resolution to your problem. Reminds me of when,  on the way back to the Dealer to have XM Radio option installed in  my brand new Boxster S. I hit a pothole and damaged a rim and destroyed the tire. Fortunately, my insurance covered the damaged rim and replacement tire.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

had the same thing a week ago on the 991. it was a phillips head right into the middle of the tire and dealor has none of the new 20" 991 tires. they were by luck able to pull and plug so got off lightly.

that would have been my 4th good tire replace for bloody nails etc  over the last few years

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

RC:

A tire pressure monitor is a life saver. I wouldn't have noticed the punctured tire, the Panamera tires have 3.0 bar in front/rear and a 0.4 bar loss isn't much in that pressure range, you can't actually see it (I really looked).

Regarding Porsche Assistance: Yes, I called them. They referred me to my local Porsche dealer since the car is at my home address. There is nothing they could have done for me, today is Sunday and they only could have transported my car to the local Porsche dealer and maybe get me a loaner. Well... 

Don't worry, guys. I will get a tire tomorrow or latest Tuesday...even if this means I have to pick it up in Zuffenhausen personally. 

Sorry to hear your bad luck Christian.

After what had happened to you, I'm glad I have ordered Tyre Tempature/pressure Monitor (TPM0) for my Italia. I was thinking if it was an unnecessary option @1000 euro + taxes. 

--

ONUR

WAITING FOR THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

High praise for the Panamera

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26184

Porker:

If Chris Harris is impressed by the Diesel, what would he say about the Turbo S ??? Smiley

I still think that the Panamera, especially the Turbo and Turbo S, is a little bit overpriced but on the other hand, it is the best performance sedan I came along for a very very long time. Never been that impressed with a sedan. Can't wait to see how Porsche is going to improve it with the facelift. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    Porker:

If Chris Harris is impressed by the Diesel, what would he say about the Turbo S ??? Smiley

I still think that the Panamera, especially the Turbo and Turbo S, is a little bit overpriced but on the other hand, it is the best performance sedan I came along for a very very long time. Never been that impressed with a sedan. Can't wait to see how Porsche is going to improve it with the facelift. Smiley

He's had a Panamera Turbo loaner for quite some time if I'm not mistaken. But I understand the appeal of the Diesel-model as a device to cover distances in. I hope they come up with Audi's Bi-TDI engine in the Panamera soon, should be a perfect match for the car imo.

To be honest, without kids, I would not drive a Panamera. The next generation 991 Turbo is very tempting... angry

Looking at the current fuel prices though, I paid 1.94 EUR for a liter of Shell VPower at my local fuel station last Sunday, we are considering a Diesel as our family daily driver. Like a SQ5, Cayenne Diesel or BMW X3 35d. The Macan unfortunately will come too late to be taken in consideration. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I know, it's getting ridiculous, can you imagine the fuel-prices once the economy picks up again, if we're paying close to €2/l during a recession?

Porker:

I know, it's getting ridiculous, can you imagine the fuel-prices once the economy picks up again, if we're paying close to €2/l during a recession?

At some point in 2008, one barrel oil (WTI) was around 145 USD. The fuel prices were much lower in Europe.

Now, with a barrel price of under 100 USD (WTI), fuel prices are much higher.

Bottom line is: This is about profit and demand and has nothing to do with the current Israel/Iran/Syria or whatever crisis.

Let the economy recover and let a war begin in the Middle East and I guess we will enjoy riding our new electric bikes. Smiley

--

RC:
    Porker:

At some point in 2008, one barrel oil (WTI) was around 145 USD. The fuel prices were much lower in Europe.

Bottom line is: This is about profit and demand and has nothing to do with the current Israel/Iran/Syria or whatever crisis.

Let the economy recover and let a war begin in the Middle East and I guess we will enjoy riding our new electric bikes. Smiley

Well that's what I'm saying, if the same profit-margin is maintained under rising oil-prices, I'm afraid the sky will be the limit. Smiley

RC:

To be honest, without kids, I would not drive a Panamera. The next generation 991 Turbo is very tempting... angry

Looking at the current fuel prices though, I paid 1.94 EUR for a liter of Shell VPower at my local fuel station last Sunday, we are considering a Diesel as our family daily driver. Like a SQ5, Cayenne Diesel or BMW X3 35d. The Macan unfortunately will come too late to be taken in consideration. 

You buy this VPower stuff Smiley I never do it, if I have to, I just get 10 liters for the drive to the next petrol station. I always felt that this kind of "marketing" (i.e. selling fuel at substantially higher prices without any measurable benefit to the customer) deserves no support from my side Smiley

MKSGR:
    RC:

You buy this VPower stuff Smiley I never do it, if I have to, I just get 10 liters for the drive to the next petrol station. I always felt that this kind of "marketing" (i.e. selling fuel at substantially higher prices without any measurable benefit to the customer) deserves no support from my side Smiley

+1 Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

MKSGR:

Well...the Panamera Turbo S, ECU is made by Siemens, benefits from higher octane fuel. Not necessarily because of an effective power increase but because it allows the knock sensor to operate at maximum performance specs all the time, not only under ideal circumstances. According to my sources, higher octane fuel (up to 102 octane) provides effectively aprox. 5% more power on most newer turbo charged Porsche models. This is the effective power increase, meaning that it is there all the time and the benefit is even higher under extreme driving conditions (air temperature, humidity, air pressure, etc.). Considering the possibility, that my Panamera Turbo S has 600 hp or more (judging by the Sport Auto comparison article with the PTS, E63PP and M5 and the dyno runs), my car does 0-200 kph in 11.77 seconds (full fuel tank but only driver onboard and car has only 4000 km yet), 5% would mean 30 horses or maybe slightly more. While this may not be important to some, for me it is. I am looking for every little bit of power I can get. Smiley

For me, this is worth the extra money. 

Another fact: Tuned turbo charged Porsche always benefit from higher octane fuel, most tuners even request higher octane fuel for the maximum possible power. However, octane increases over 103 octane (Europe) are quite worthless because most ECU units can't "cope" with more.

98 octane Europe equals 95 octane US, just as a reminder (I was referring to the European octane figures).

So if you think this is a marketing thing, it isn't, at least not for high power turbo charged engines. 

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

Well...the Panamera Turbo S, ECU is made by Siemens, benefits from higher octane fuel. Not necessarily because of an effective power increase but because it allows the knock sensor to operate at maximum performance specs all the time, not only under ideal circumstances. According to my sources, higher octane fuel (up to 102 octane) provides effectively aprox. 5% more power on most newer turbo charged Porsche models. This is the effective power increase, meaning that it is there all the time and the benefit is even higher under extreme driving conditions (air temperature, humidity, air pressure, etc.). Considering the possibility, that my Panamera Turbo S has 600 hp or more (judging by the Sport Auto comparison article with the PTS, E63PP and M5 and the dyno runs), my car does 0-200 kph in 11.77 seconds (full fuel tank but only driver onboard and car has only 4000 km yet), 5% would mean 30 horses or maybe slightly more. While this may not be important to some, for me it is. I am looking for every little bit of power I can get. Smiley

For me, this is worth the extra money. 

Another fact: Tuned turbo charged Porsche always benefit from higher octane fuel, most tuners even request higher octane fuel for the maximum possible power. However, octane increases over 103 octane (Europe) are quite worthless because most ECU units can't "cope" with more.

98 octane Europe equals 95 octane US, just as a reminder (I was referring to the European octane figures).

So if you think this is a marketing thing, it isn't, at least not for high power turbo charged engines. 

--

Would be interesting to do some test runs with your car (using 98 and 102 octane fuel). Based on my experience I would not expect a measurable difference (TT/GT2/GT2RS). However, I have to admit that I never used measurement equipment to do a comparison. I just read the various tests of different fuels in the press Smiley

Making a comparison run is impossible, only a dyno run (engine only) in a controlled environment would make sense.

The ECU needs to adapt first, this could take some time and the fuel tank would need to be completely empty. Also air temperature/pressure and humidity would need to be the same too, impossible.

Regarding the various fuel tests in the press (please take in consideration how much power my car has and that it is turbo charged): 

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/shell-v-power-im-vergleichstest-41875.html

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tanken-kraftstoffe-und-antrieb/benzin-und-diesel/premiumkraftstoffe/?tabid=tab2 (ADAC...not always competent...no turbo charged cars, maybe because they knew that there would be an increase in power and the article wasn't supposed to unveil that and they wrote Boxster wrong).

It is also interesting that most publications were actually using the ADAC test to come to the same conclusion. broken heart

I also agree that 5% are a joke on a car with 150 or 200 hp but triple the result and it gets more interesting.

Tuners, who do a lot of engine dyno testing, usually recommend higher octane fuel.

I also talked to various "sources", like I said before and they confirmed the (somehow limited) benefit.

Just try to imagine this scenario: 35°C air temperature, high air pressure, 90% humidity. Assuming that your GT2 has 620 hp, it would probably produce "only" 590 or even slightly less under these circumstances. Using VPower, you probably still would have 620 hp, if you get my point.

Try to think of it as a larger intercooler on a turbo charged car: It may not increase power under normal circumstances but it keeps the power from dropping under extreme driving conditions.

I'm not engineer, so I can't explain it too well, sorry.

--

MKSGR:

Would be interesting to do some test runs with your car (using 98 and 102 octane fuel). Based on my experience I would not expect a measurable difference (TT/GT2/GT2RS). However, I have to admit that I never used measurement equipment to do a comparison. I just read the various tests of different fuels in the press Smiley

Marcus

Our cars in particular benefit from higher octane fuels, RS Tuning did engine dyno testing on our VTG engines and they are very sensitive to the fuel losing big amounts (like 50hp on a GT2) of power if lower octane fuel is used, I once used a tank of Total supposed 97 RON for an airfield day and my acceleration numbers were down a fair bit, not conclusive but made me a believer Smiley

RS recommend Shell V power and have no financial interest in doing so, I always use our UK version which is 99 RON and unlike all other UK fuel (which comes from the same depot with just brand additives mixed in) V Power is made exclusively at one depot location and shipped from there, dunno if that is the same in De for your 100 Racing version ?

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

All cars of this caliber are running much smoother on higher octane fuel  I can feel it personally. Why would you buy these amazing cars and save on fuel?  The reality is that you are not really saving because the consumption is higher.

IMO: If you are looking to save - save all of the way - get a diesel version or get a cheaper car.

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

TB993tt:
    MKSGR:

Marcus

Our cars in particular benefit from higher octane fuels, RS Tuning did engine dyno testing on our VTG engines and they are very sensitive to the fuel losing big amounts (like 50hp on a GT2) of power if lower octane fuel is used, I once used a tank of Total supposed 97 RON for an airfield day and my acceleration numbers were down a fair bit, not conclusive but made me a believer Smiley

RS recommend Shell V power and have no financial interest in doing so, I always use our UK version which is 99 RON and unlike all other UK fuel (which comes from the same depot with just brand additives mixed in) V Power is made exclusively at one depot location and shipped from there, dunno if that is the same in De for your 100 Racing version ?

Of course, if you go below the factory recommended octane figure (98 according to EU specs) the engine output will suffer. The thing is: I can still recall Porsche factory statements (!) that explicitly recommended NOT to use the then 100 octane Shell fuel. Personally, I cannot perceive any change in power output when using 102 or 98 octane fuel. I have to admit that I never did a precise benchmark using electronical equipment, though. I think, the benefit from using 102 instead of 98 is purely psychological Smiley

RC:

Making a comparison run is impossible, only a dyno run (engine only) in a controlled environment would make sense.

If you cannot clearly measure a different performance in real life (making up for slight changes in the measurement conditions) it is probably safe to say that the fuel companies got you with their marketing efforts... If we are talking about 10% more power that would be approx. 60hp... This should CLEARLY be visible in real life tests. If it is not the additional hp output is probably not quite there Smiley

RC:

Just try to imagine this scenario: 35°C air temperature, high air pressure, 90% humidity. Assuming that your GT2 has 620 hp, it would probably produce "only" 590 or even slightly less under these circumstances. Using VPower, you probably still would have 620 hp, if you get my point.

That would be nice - agreed Smiley

MKSGR:
    The thing is: I can still recall Porsche factory statements (!) that explicitly recommended NOT to use the then 100 octane Shell fuel. Personally, I cannot perceive any change in power output when using 102 or 98 octane fuel. I have to admit that I never did a precise benchmark using electronical equipment, though. I think, the benefit from using 102 instead of 98 is purely psychological Smiley

Like I said before, the benefit is not only psychological. I also don't recall any warning to use Shel VPower. There was some sort of note when the fuel showed up first many many years ago, that it hasn't been fully tested yet (same as the E10 story) but nowadays, the usage of Shell VPower or Aral Ultimate shouldn't be any problem as far as I know.

The knock sensors on modern cars, especially on turbo charged and/or high performance cars are extremely sensitive since most of these engines use often a high compression, so they need to react to bad fuel pretty fast. This is why these cars benefit from high octane fuel under extreme conditions and some ECUs even use the higher octane figure.

Don't worry though, I know one particular GT3 RS owner and one 997 Turbo owner who usually fuel up their cars at no name fuel stations because of 2-3 cents price difference. Smiley I guess this is the german mentality...Geiz ist geil. Smiley

Speaking of no-name fuel stations in Germany: Yes, they are very often using the same fuel other brand name stations get but most of the time without the specific fuel additives and/or they change them all the time. For 2-3 cents per liter difference, I wouldn't take the risk but to each his own I guess.

--

RC:

Don't worry though, I know one particular GT3 RS owner and one 997 Turbo owner who usually fuel up their cars at no name fuel stations because of 2-3 cents price difference. Smiley I guess this is the german mentality...Geiz ist geil. Smiley

I only use high-quality fuel from the JET stations Smiley Very good price-quality ratio Smiley

RC:
    Like I said before, the benefit is not only psychological. I also don't recall any warning to use Shel VPower. There was some sort of note when the fuel showed up first many many years ago, that it hasn't been fully tested yet (same as the E10 story) but nowadays, the usage of Shell VPower or Aral Ultimate shouldn't be any problem as far as I know.

If I recall correctly, their statement was that the fuel does not burn properly (?) and thus might leave certain residues behind. Not sure exactly, though Smiley

RC:

Finally you see the light Christian Smiley

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

RC:
    Porker:

Actually it is just under 115 USD for one barrel oil today (24.08).

95 Octane (low grade fuel) in Turkey is 2 euro/liter after the last increase 2 days ago. Smiley

--

ONUR

pride355:
    RC:
    Porker:

95 Octane (low grade fuel) in Turkey is 2 euro/liter after the last increase 2 days ago. Smiley

That is ridiculous, if you take the average income in Turkey into account, how do people still manage to drive their cars? Smiley

Porker:
    pride355:
    RC:
    Porker:

That is ridiculous, if you take the average income in Turkey into account, how do people still manage to drive their cars? Smiley

That's right Smiley

However, more than 20million people are living in Istanbul and we have a huge traffic problem (also thanks to our inferior infrastructure) SmileySmiley  Well, you can't always choose where to live evenif you have money.. Smiley

--

ONUR

Porker:
    pride355:
    RC:
    Porker:

Well, if i tell you that here in Bulgaria the average income per month is 250 euro and the price of the gas is almost 1.43 euro/liter RON 95 and 1.55 euro for RON 100 , what would you say?
     And the solution for most people here is called LPG, cause it's 0.67 euro/liter or drive diesel cars 1.38 euro/liter.

About your arguing, maybe this will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI

MKSGR:
    RC:

I only use high-quality fuel from the JET stations Smiley Very good price-quality ratio Smiley

Ha ha, one thing more we have in common. Smiley Smiley

--

Rossi:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Ha ha, one thing more we have in common. Smiley Smiley

--

Smiley

Our joint goal is to convert Christian into a Jet customer as well Smiley Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782093 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442905 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263519 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86015 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819838 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM