Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari 458 Spider runs over police

JoeRockhead:
    Leawood911:

Notice how the cop is next to the car when the driver gets in - he does not engage him prior to getting in or in any way tell him to stop.  It could be argued that the driver may not have even known what the cop was doing.  Suddenly the cop steps into the path ONCE the engine starts.

There seems to be an exchange of words before he gets into the car. The driver is saying something the to the cop and it appears as though he replies...

So - at worst it was a parking ticket and it was served.  The cop did not have the authority to impede him - that would be false imprisonment, or even detain him.  The cop did a dumb thing by stepping into the path of a car, then assaulted the driver - NOT a smart move by the cop.  Nick would love this case - he can argue don't you know???

Smiley

Cop is going to court with guy. Wants 10 mil dollars)

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

The copper or the millionaire? Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:

Oh, sorry))) Cop wants;)

--

sportcars-history.com

That is one funny bobby!!! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

kudryavchik:
    REALZEUS:
    kudryavchik:

Oh, sorry))) Cop wants;)

I'm no lawyer or law expert but I think the cop is making a mistake. In the end, I think that the owner of the Ferrari could end up with 10 Mio....from the city of New York. Smiley

Young arrogant irresponsible Ferrari driver with too much money...this could be his (cop) strategy for a (jury?) trial but this can go wrong, very wrong.

OK...I looked at the video again and the cop is an idiot if he sues the guy. He will loose. This video shows a calm car owner and a cop full of rage. Not good for the cop...in a trial.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The cop was calm and professional too, until the millionaire ignored him and drove over his foot. Yes, with hindsight the cop probably overreacted, but since none of use were there we don't know exactly what was said between them. In the end the millionaire should not have driven off from an officer of law and order plus hurting him at the same time. No jury will approve with that.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

bluelines:

The cop was calm and professional too, until the millionaire ignored him and drove over his foot. Yes, with hindsight the cop probably overreacted, but since none of use were there we don't know exactly what was said between them. In the end the millionaire should not have driven off from an officer of law and order plus hurting him at the same time. No jury will approve with that.

I read the word millionaire twice in your post. Have you seen his bank account? Smiley

You should read the comments regarding this incident on other sites: Half of the people blame the cop for brutality and the other half blames the rich kid and wants him to get "his lesson".

We don't know what happened exactly but I watched the video over and over again and I really don't see why a policeman should react in the excessive way the one in the video did. I also cannot see that he (the millionaire Smiley) actually injured the police officer, the cop looks quite fine to me when he hits the window, slams the door open and against that taxi and pulling the guy out of the car. You can't do that if someone hurt your foot.

There was a lot of rage involved and let me guess...the cop has a wife and kid(s) and probably a lot of debt. Well, what a good chance to show him (the millionaire Smiley) who the boss is.

A good lawyer could eat that cop for breakfast but I guess that the NYPD and the millionaire will try to keep this under a lid sooner or later. Just wait and see.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Well guess what, the cop is suing for 10 million USD!!! Seemed logical in a place where anyone can sue for anything..
    It's pretty cheap though and there is video footage, so this case will is likely lost.. I'd bet he has about 5% chance of seeing any money.

He still ignored the cop and drove off. I would assume that is an offence, but I don't know the U.S. law.

I have not read the opinions on the other sites but I would think they are both to blame. One is ignorant, the other overreacts.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

If you look very carefully it seems that the cop does not get his foot run over and fakes his response.

If they can prove that the driver deliberately hit the cop they may have a case. I doubt he'll see $10 million unless the jury really takes a dislike to the driver, then he may get more. indecision

The cop is on the job and has a 100% responsibility to NOT over-react.  He also should not step into a car he KNOWS is moving and place his foot under a moving wheel.  Just plain stupid moves all around.  He was on the job!  Working.  If I ever did that to someone while I was working I would be fired.

RC is 100% correct (not rare) - Once his lawyer (driver) gets a chance to explain the video all the jury will see is a calm driver and an ill trained, angry cop mad at some rich guy (both lawyers get to talk, remember that).  The notion that he is suing the driver simply makes the point that he is not without prejudice against 'rich guys'.  I am certain he had no shortage of bad lawyers offering their services for free and making him good offers to share the rewards. (70/30).  That does not mean it is a good idea to try or that he will win.

If the driver (not calling him rich, I have a nice car and am not rich) sues the city he will collect, guranteed. AND he should collect!  I don't want cops to think they can throw people into the street face down.

RC:
    bluelines:

I read the word millionaire twice in your post. Have you seen his bank account? Smiley

...let me guess... the cop has a wife and kid(s) and probably a lot of debt. 

Have you seen the cop's bank account? Smiley

--

Leawood911:

The cop is on the job and has a 100% responsibility to NOT over-react.  He also should not step into a car he KNOWS is moving and place his foot under a moving wheel.  Just plain stupid moves all around.  He was on the job!  Working.  If I ever did that to someone while I was working I would be fired.

RC is 100% correct (not rare) - Once his lawyer (driver) gets a chance to explain the video all the jury will see is a calm driver and an ill trained, angry cop mad at some rich guy (both lawyers get to talk, remember that).  The notion that he is suing the rich guy simply makes the point that he is not without prejudice against 'rich guys'.  I am certain he had no shortage of bad lawyers offering their services for free and making him good offers to share the rewards. (70/30)

If the driver (not calling him rich, I have a nice car and am not rich) sues the city he will collect, guranteed. AND he should collect!  I don't want cops to think they can throw people into the street face down.

So you are saying that ignoring a police officer is not an offence in the U.S.?

--

"So you are saying that ignoring a police officer is not an offence in the U.S.?"

Answer -

First of all - you don't have the right to impede anyone or detain them in any way for a parking ticket.  The cop can not simply arrest someone for parking - so he had NO right to stop the driver.  No need to talk to him about anything either!

Next - the cop stepped into the path of the car - when he had no right to stop him in the first place - so now we are talking about attempted false imprisonment. 

After that there is no excuse for the cops actions.  Just because the driver wanted to leave in his car - legally - he is supposed to obey some parking cop who stepped into the path of this rolling car?  The cop does not need him to TAKE the parking ticket for it to be valid.  If he did not get the plate number in time etc. then too bad.  That is why you move your car fast.  I am assuming he was writing the ticket to keep people from parking there!  What point would there be to not get the guy moving ASAP?  How long was the ensuing parking/traffic mess?  NUTS

There is a big difference between ignoring a police officer and knowing your rights in such a situation.  The Driver ignored those actions which the officer had no right to expect a response to.  Then he brutalized the driver.  End of story.   Are you telling me it is okay for cops to beat people up anytime they personally don't want someone to leave?   What was the cop going to do besides give him the ticket?  What else did he have a right to do?  Was the driver somehow going get out of the ticket by leaving (the spot he was not suposed to be in)?

Leawood911:

Are you telling me it is okay for cops to beat people up anytime they personally don't want someone to leave? 

No, I am simply curious as how the U.S. law works. Up until the point where the cop slams his fist in the car window I did not see him do anything else than his job while the driver ignored him. I was not aware that writing and delivering a parking ticket in person counts as arrest and hence the driver cannot be legally stopped.

How does a road block work then? If cops are stopping cars on the road (for whatever reason) you can simply continue past them because they actually have no right to stop you?

--

Was the cop not serving him with a ticket at the time? If you get pulled over by a cop can you just drive away if he decides to write you a ticket? If so, count me in!  indecision

JoeRockhead:

Was the cop not serving him with a ticket at the time? If you get pulled over by a cop can you just drive away if he decides to write you a ticket? If so, count me in!  indecision

This is what I don't get either. Not only can the cop not write you a ticket, but he cannot pull you over either Smiley

--

Leawood911:

"So you are saying that ignoring a police officer is not an offence in the U.S.?"

Answer -

First of all - you don't have the right to impede anyone or detain them in any way for a parking ticket.  The cop can not simply arrest someone for parking - so he had NO right to stop the driver.  No need to talk to him about anything either!

Next - the cop stepped into the path of the car - when he had no right to stop him in the first place - so now we are talking about attempted false imprisonment. 

After that there is no excuse for the cops actions.  Just because the driver wanted to leave in his car - legally - he is supposed to obey some parking cop who stepped into the path of this rolling car?  The cop does not need him to TAKE the parking ticket for it to be valid.  If he did not get the plate number in time etc. then too bad.  That is why you move your car fast.  I am assuming he was writing the ticket to keep people from parking there!  What point would there be to not get the guy moving ASAP?  How long was the ensuing parking/traffic mess?  NUTS

There is a big difference between ignoring a police officer and knowing your rights in such a situation.  The Driver ignored those actions which the officer had no right to expect a response to.  Then he brutalized the driver.  End of story.   Are you telling me it is okay for cops to beat people up anytime they personally don't want someone to leave?   What was the cop going to do besides give him the ticket?  What else did he have a right to do?  Was the driver somehow going get out of the ticket by leaving (the spot he was not suposed to be in)?

Lawyered. 

In Germany, if I get a parking ticket, the cop has no right to stop me from driving away, unless he tells me so. Why should he stop me? He has my license plate and parking offenses are usually very clear, especially if there was a certain traffic sign. German courts usually always rule in favor of the police/parking control service, no chance to fight these tickets.

I assume that the cop in the video was kind of mad, maybe he had a bad day, maybe he has money problems (family and all...he really has a wife and a daughter and we all know that US cops don't earn a fortune) or whatever. Fact is, he reacted in a very weird way for someone who is giving a parking ticket only. 

He could have told the driver, BEFORE he entered the car in front of him, not to enter the car because he wants to talk to him for whatever reason. I can't see that. He saw the driver, he saw that he entered the car, he heard that he started the engine (and didn't make any signs to the driver and/or walked towards the driver side window to tell the driver), so he knew that the driver is going to drive away. He (the cop) put himself in the harm's way and I don't want to sound like a smart ass here but I'm pretty sure that a good lawyer could ruin this cop...and the NYPD for that matter. Just saying...

This is why I think that the whole thing will be solved behind closed doors sooner or later before it blows out of proportions. The internet crowd already started to take sides, a trial wouldn't help anybody.

--

Yes, I assume the cop got mad too, since the guy tried to run him over 

If you look carefully at the video they have a conversation before Chabbott gets in the car. What they talked about we don't know because we were not there, but I guess it was not the cop saying "Dude, nice Ferrari" and Chabbott going "Uh, thanks officer"... 

Even if the cop had no legal right to halt Chabbott, the fact is Chabbott did hit him on purpose. A driver is responsible for his/her vehicle and just because a pedestrian isn't where he is suppose to be doesn't mean a motorist is allowed to hit him. Period. Imagining a child stepping out in front of the car. Is it still fine to just drive? No sane person would, but because it is a cop it seems to be fine for some people. No respect for his profession nor him as a person.

It is very sad that the cop then overreacted and displayed unprofessional behaviour. 

In the end they were both wrong. Chabbott behaved like a moron when he drove off and the cop went rampant brutal.  

--

bluelines:

Yes, I assume the cop got mad too, since the guy tried to run him over 

If you look carefully at the video they have a conversation before Chabbott gets in the car. What they talked about we don't know because we were not there, but I guess it was not the cop saying "Dude, nice Ferrari" and Chabbott going "Uh, thanks officer"... 

Even if the cop had no legal right to halt Chabbott, the fact is Chabbott did hit him on purpose. A driver is responsible for his/her vehicle and just because a pedestrian isn't where he is suppose to be doesn't mean a motorist is allowed to hit him. Period. Imagining a child stepping out in front of the car. Is it still fine to just drive? No sane person would, but because it is a cop it seems to be fine for some people. No respect for his profession nor him as a person.

It is very sad that the cop then overreacted and displayed unprofessional behaviour. 

In the end they were both wrong. Chabbott behaved like a moron when he drove off and the cop went rampant brutal.  

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The cop gave that guy what he should have be given from his parents; a lesson in respect. Regardless of whether or not the cop had a right to block him in, the driver caused his car to hit a person, and for that, he will have to face the consequences.

Chicken or the egg - you got your peanut butter in my chocolate/ you go your chocolate in my peanut butter.

The car started first and started to move - THEN the cop walked into it.  He is not some baby who does not know how to cross the street.  You can not avoid hitting someone who insists on walking into your car from 12 inches away.  If a person walking wants to get hit you can't avoid him/her - try it.  If the cop had walked infront of the car, stopped, and then the driver drove over him it would be another story - BUT the car was already moving when the cop put his foot under it.  Good way to lose a foot and a court case.

Leawood911:

The car started first and started to move - THEN the cop walked into it...

Ehm, no. For whatever reason you want it to be that way, but that is not how the events play out in the video. Watch the first few seconds and you will see that you are wrong. This is what happens:

1. Chabbott and the cop talk as Chabbot approaches the car
    2. Chabbott gets in the car
    3. The cop takes one step forward
    4. Chabbott starts the car (since it is a Ferrari you hear it loud and clear Smiley )
    5. Chabbott drives into the cop
    6. The cop leans forward and yells "stop, stop, stop" at Chabbott who continues to drive
    7. The cop yells "you run over my f'king foot", looses it and bangs his fist against the driver's window (if the cop's foot really is under the wheel one cannot tell from the video)
    8. All hell breaks loose...

So no, the cop did not walk into the car as you claim. In fact, the cop did not move at all from the time when the car was started until Chabbott drove into him. The cop then told Chabbott to stop the car, which Chabbott ignored.

Case closed Smiley

--

Leawood911:

you got your peanut butter in my chocolate/ you go your chocolate in my peanut butter.

Mmmm... Reese's PB Cups.Smiley

Here's another question.. where was he gonna drive? It's NYC gridlock over in the lane....

bluelines:
    1. Chabbott and the cop talk as Chabbot approaches the car
    2. Chabbott gets in the car
    3. The cop takes one step forward
    4. Chabbott starts the car (since it is a Ferrari you hear it loud and clear Smiley )
    5. Chabbott drives into the cop
    6. The cop leans forward and yells "stop, stop, stop" at Chabbott who continues to drive
    7. The cop yells "you run over my f'king foot", looses it and bangs his fist against the driver's window (if the cop's foot really is under the wheel one cannot tell from the video)
    8. All hell breaks loose...

So no, the cop did not walk into the car as you claim. In fact, the cop did not move at all from the time when the car was started until Chabbott drove into him. The cop then told Chabbott to stop the car, which Chabbott ignored.

Case closed Smiley

I see almost 50% something else...perception can be deceiving.

This is why I think that this will be settled outside the courts in some sort of agreement. Neither side can be sure to win.

--

What something else do you see then? With your 200% vision indecision

If there is any fairness both sides should loose.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691145 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410231 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256266 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235425 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858865 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775177 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM