Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Considering a new C2S...

dreamcar:
    Pentium:

I had the telephone module on my previous 911. I don't want to use a SIM card with a car anymore. Ever. And that is the main difference between the two options as far as I know. The external GSM antenna (which I don't know if it has 3G capabilities) works only if you use a SIM card. If you still connect through Bluetooth is the same thing as my option.

Not quite. With the telephone module the phone is connected via bluetooth  to the car's main aerial for much better reception and less battery drain on the phone.

isn't that only if you have SAP (SIM Access Profile) Bluetooth phone? SAP is not on my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray, for example.

That is what I know too. Works only with SAP. And still nobody could answer my question about the external antenna: does it have 3G capabilities or not? Because the text says quadband GSM only...
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:
    That is what I know too. Works only with SAP. And still nobody could answer my question about the external antenna: does it have 3G capabilities or not? Because the text says quadband GSM only...

SAP is indeed very limited on the phone side. Funny enough, Samsung implemented SAP in the Galaxy S series, that´s about the only "interesting" phone apart from some Symbian-equipped Nokias and Blackberries.   I would be surprised if the PCM forwards any 3G data to the phone, from my understanding it always deactivates the phone´s module  completely which should also deactivate the data connection. 

What is the reason that you do not want to use a 2nd sim card? 

Ferdie:

not easily available .. last time I checked, not available (Orange UK).

A "clone card" is not easy to get. I am on Orange too and they don't offer the option. So the extra SIM will be a separate phone number... I will need to enable phone calls redirect each time I get in to the car and disable them when get out... And that doesn't solve the emails problem...

Also I don't like having my address book copied to PCM car's memory. Or the SMS messages.

I had this system for almost 5 years and I hate it.

--

Pentium:

Yes, RC, you are correct, a Panamera or a Cayenne would be a better choice for my roads but I don't like heavy sporty vehicles.

I wouldn't call the Cayenne necessarily a sporty vehicle and I wouldn't recommend the Panamera to you (bad roads, snow...) but I would really enjoy a Cayenne much more in your location than a 911 for example. Smiley

To each his own I guess but I would definitely get a Cayenne Turbo instead.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

When I will have kids, I will. Smiley

--

Pentium:

A "clone card" is not easy to get. I am on Orange too and they don't offer the option. So the extra SIM will be a separate phone number... I will need to enable phone calls redirect each time I get in to the car and disable them when get out... 

Wow,

didn´t know that it would be so complicated. One can get a second sim for the same number here from every provider and it usually costs 15 to 30 Euros once or a few Euros per month additionally. 

I checked the phone integration on the PCM on the 997 and it does connect fine in "hand-free" mode, also transmitting the list of incoming and outgoing calls. When I connected my Nokia with the system, the phone went into SAP mode. I could only enter the phone´s menu if I would´ve disconnected the SAP connection first so that excluded the 3G service on this particular phone. 

Still, since the price difference is negligible, wouldn´t it be more sensible to order the telephone module even if you just use the hands-free component?

Yeah, it's not about the money... I just don't want the antenna... I don't want to add even more wires and more tech...
    --

sfo:
    Ferdie:

not easily available .. last time I checked, not available (Orange UK).

Vodafone do a 2nd SIM card

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Pentium:
    Yeah, it's not about the money... I just don't want the antenna... I don't want to add even more wires and more tech...

Correct me if I´m wrong but I don´t think the antenna is visible. The hands-free profile should work equally well on both systems and should you switch to a phone with rSAP profile you can finally use the integrated module. Just as a thought...

I know it's not the ideal choice in your neck of the woods, but don't you think the upcoming GT3 would poke your eyes out once you've taken delivery of your brand new C2S? I'm sure the new GT3 will be more civilized than ever before, it might be worth considering? Smiley

Porker:

I know it's not the ideal choice in your neck of the woods, but don't you think the upcoming GT3 would poke your eyes out once you've taken delivery of your brand new C2S? I'm sure the new GT3 will be more civilized than ever before, it might be worth considering? Smiley

For the region he is living in, a GT3 would be a disaster in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

...I would not want to follow behind a chain of lorries on the motorway just because it is raining cats and dogs and some MSC I have on the car (GT3)... therefore, my DD would never be a GT3 / GT2 ....

Porker: I want to be able to drive the car in the winter so the GT3 is out. However, yes, you are correct, the GT3 is the ideal car for me. In an ideal world.

Ferdie: On the antenna... I don't know... I just don't want it... Bluetooth should be enough for me. I had Bluetooth in all my other cars and it was enough... I promise I will think about it, OK?

--

Pentium:

Ferdie: On the antenna... I don't know... I just don't want it... Bluetooth should be enough for me. I had Bluetooth in all my other cars and it was enough... I promise I will think about it, OK?

Pentium,

that´s is your choice, of course. Did not want to make the impression that I want to persuade you. For me, the telephone module is on of the great features if you use the telephone often.

Smiley

And indeed I do use the phone a lot.

Thank you for pointing out this issue. I have no problem for you to push it :) After all I am the one that I started this thread asking for people to comment Smiley So again, thanks Ferdie! Smiley

--

Oh, and by the way, I don't like to see on the PCM the name of the person that is calling me Smiley

Or at least not when another girl is ridding with me... Smiley

Or to have my contacts loaded in the PCM at the disposal of the service guys...

--

Pentium:

Oh, and by the way, I don't like to see on the PCM the name of the person that is calling me Smiley

Now that is the reason... Smiley

Pentium:

Porker: I want to be able to drive the car in the winter so the GT3 is out. However, yes, you are correct, the GT3 is the ideal car for me. In an ideal world.

Thanks for your reply, just out of curiosity, why do you consider a C2S on winter tyres a more usable car in the winter than a GT3 on winter tyres?

If I'm not mistaken, our member rantanplan(?) drove his GT3 all winter as well, equipped with winter tyres. I know you can have a lot of snow in Romania, but I'd think if it stops a GT3 in its tracks, it would also stop a C2S?

Pentium:

Or to have my contacts loaded in the PCM at the disposal of the service guys...

--

Lol, that's very recognizable Smiley

Porker:
    If I'm not mistaken, our member rantanplan(?) drove his GT3 all winter as well, equipped with winter tyres. I know you can have a lot of snow in Romania, but I'd think if it stops a GT3 in its tracks, it would also stop a C2S?

You haven't lived in Romania, haven't you? Smiley Even the 991 C2S will be a challenge if one needs to use it as a daily driver. As a weekend fun car, things look different.

--

RC:
    Porker:

You haven't lived in Romania, haven't you? Smiley Even the 991 C2S will be a challenge if one needs to use it as a daily driver. As a weekend fun car, things look different.

I haven't lived there, but I've spent (a little too much for my liking) time there, and crossed the country by car 3 times. I agree Romania is no country to be driving a GT3, but neither is it a suitable place for a C2S. If you want to do it wrong, do it good! Smiley

Off-topic, I must say I've had some of my most memorable drives driving from Bucharest to Budapest, with some amazing roads, light traffic, ... It was a joy to drive, at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1a0cAlSbUE

Probably my confidence is higher on the C2S because for 5 years I had a 997.1C2 as my daily driver and I managed to do OK :)

Also the GT3 is even lower than a C2S with Sport PASM and the front plastic lip of a GT3 will be ripped off the car in the first week :)

More so, from my personal experience tires wider than 300 on the rear will make my life a hell on rain, snow and ice...

By the way, the standard 991 Carrera S with PASM has a ground clearance of 118mm. That's not ideal but not too bad either. As far as I remember the GT3 ground clearance was 90mm...

Also the ramp break over angle for the std 991 C2S is 11.8 degrees... the GT3 was nine I think...

GT3 rims also are useless here... (and again tires)

--

Pentium:

Probably my confidence is higher on the C2S because for 5 years I had a 997.1C2 as my daily driver and I managed to do OK :)

Also the GT3 is even lower than a C2S with Sport PASM and the front plastic lip of a GT3 will be ripped off the car in the first week :)

More so, from my personal experience tires wider than 300 on the rear will make my life a hell on rain, snow and ice...

By the way, the standard 991 Carrera S with PASM has a ground clearance of 118mm. That's not ideal but not too bad either. As far as I remember the GT3 ground clearance was 90mm...

Also the ramp break over angle for the std 991 C2S is 11.8 degrees... the GT3 was nine I think...

GT3 rims also are useless here... (and again tires)

Smiley

--

Porker:
    Pentium:

Thanks for your reply, just out of curiosity, why do you consider a C2S on winter tyres a more usable car in the winter than a GT3 on winter tyres?

I was considering this too a while back but decided to keep the C2S. Points against the GT3 in the winter:

- Extremely low ground clearance (it is a big difference to the C2S)

- No undercoating

- No mounts for the roof rack

Having said that, the front spoiler lip on the GT3 is perfectly shaped as a snow plow Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

Pentium:

The GT3 approach angle is 5.6 degrees Smiley

Here are all the dimensions:

dimensions.jpg

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

Wow! Thank you for reminding me that!

2cm less ground clearance and an approach angle in half for a GT3... Case closed!

--

Reminds me of my first Porsche, a lowered 964 C2. In Cannes I could only drive it backwards into a parking garage.smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Do you have those dimensions for the 991?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761949 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435099 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260375 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257458 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80900 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871961 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807318 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM