Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Italy Trip in Panamera Turbo S

We just returned from a one week trip to Northern Italy, more precisely Lago di Garda (Lake Garda).

The weather has been very nice all the time, 32°C and sunny each and every day, absolutely perfect.

My Panamera Turbo S has added 1200 km during this trip and the car has been completely trouble free, not a single issue. I started at 1800 km on the speedo, filled up around 0,75 l of oil and after the 1200 km, the oil gauge is still at max, oil consumption is surprisingly low for this type of engine. The average fuel consumption during this trip was 19 l / 100 km, not very low but quite alright, considering that I was driving in Sport Plus mode most of the time and fully accelerated whenever possible. I didn’t drive faster than 280 kph (Germany) though and usually didn’t reach speeds over 180 kph on my trip.

The chassis/steering setup is amazing but feels a little bit artificial. The Panamera Turbo S with all the performance enhancing goodies feels very comfortable when driving straight and the steering feels very light but as soon as you start using the full potential on the well known  Lago di Garda lakeside roads with lots of twists and turns, the Panamera Turbo S switches from a Mercedes S class to a Porsche 911. It is amazing how the character of a car can change during driving but like I said before, it doesn’t really feel natural, the switch in character is too spontaneous. On the other hand, it is absolutely stunning how such a big car can handle like this.

Ever dreamt of a 911 for the family? This car is the real deal.

Which brings me to the weak points of the Panamera Turbo S: The size (it feels huge, especially when you have to park it in parking lots made for the standard sized European hatchbacks) and the pretty limited luggage room.

On our way to Lago di Garda and during our trip there (we have driven a couple of times around the lake, usually a 75 min. trip from the north part to the south part), we haven’t seen a single police car. Not even one. No speed traps either, which was quite weird. In Germany, I usually see a police car every ten minutes or so but in Italy, nothing. Strange. Maybe Italian police is saving fuel or whatever but I really didn’t have the feeling of being targeted as a tourist, as some friends warned me before. On the contrary.

What was obvious though: Italians, mostly car drivers, respected the speed limits much more than in the past. The driving was less passionate and quick but more relaxed. I can’t say I hated it because the traffic chaos of the past years was just absent.

My Panamera Turbo S received a lot of „Mama Mia“s and some thumbs up, which clearly shows that the Italians love cars. During the week long trip, I didn’t have any envy issues with the car and it doesn’t have a single scratch or dent, which is quite surprising considering the parking lots I have been parking the car.

Also very surprising and food for thought for Porsche: Many comments I heard about my Panamera were related to the fact that...it was a Panamera. Some people didn’t even recognize it or they thought this is a new Porsche model or the Panamera facelift. It is really surprising how a color choice can change the look of a car completely. The funniest part: There was a silver Panamera 4S parked in the hotel garage and the owner asked me if this is  the facelift. I might have stepped on his toes replying to this question, bragging and ranting about options and color choices but I really think that many owners don’t have a clue what possibilities they have to choose the right options for their car. They see that nice silver or black Panamera at their local dealer and the decision has been made. The reactions to my car and the reactions to that white factory test car I drove for over a month actually prove my point.

On my way back to Germany, I „met“ another Panamera from Germany in Austria and the car was all black like mine, very likely a Diesel (considering the look of the exhaust pipes and the performance) but the Porsche lettering on the rear was in silver, which kind of didn’t really fit.

Those who crave for a Panamera should choose their options and color wisely. The result is either elegant or sporty, you can’t have both on this huge car.

My wife and my kids were thrilled about the ride comfort, I didn’t hear a single complaint from them during the whole trip. On the contrary.

The electric sun shades (rear side windows and rear window) came in very handy during this trip, the heat was kept out quite effectively and furthermore, the kids were able to play with their iPads or watch videos in the back of the car without being bothered by the sun. Highly recommended and the electric shades really work well.

When we arrived at our hotel, there was an argument going on between a Greek visitor and an Italian visitor with the women at the front desk and apparently the general manager. Both, the Greek and the Italian left the hotel with their families. When I checked in, I found out what this heated argument has been all about: Apparently a new Italian law forbids people to pay more than 1000 EUR in cash to put a lid on tax fraud. Interesting: I fueled up my car three times during my stay and I rented a boat a couple of times and I never got a receipt. Not that I care but just saying... The mentality certainly hasn’t changed.

It was also very obvious during our trip that Italians apparently cut down on their spending, most tourists were from Germany, Austria and the Netherlands. I also didn’t see that many expensive cars like in the past and certainly none with italian license plates. My local german Porsche dealer told me that they had lots of inquiries from Italian Porsche owners in the past six months to sell their used Porsche because they wanted to get rid of them. The Italian tax fraud office apparently is going after expensive cars in Italy and it is no secret that many of them were paid in cash.

Also interesting (and kind of sad): Most shops were...empty. Tourists were walking by but weren’t really going inside. A jeweler for example offered 30-50% rebate on his watches merchandise, including Chronoswiss and other expensive watches. He just wanted to make a sale. I didn’t buy anything but for someone who is looking for good deals, some regions in Italy certainly have become interesting.

Last but not least, I "met" Mr. Anthony Hatter, one of the Porsche designers in a white 991 Cab with S-PX license plate, at least I think it was him (his haircut is kind of recognizable in an open Cab Smiley). I also got greeted by a Italian Ferrari F458 driver, which is kind of weird and I didn't understand but I greeted back. Smiley

I wish I would have taken more photos of the car in Italy but I really tried to enjoy the vacation and actually forgot about it, sorry.

Enjoy the photos...

1344573372513i1.jpg

My daughter enjoying the comfort of the rear seat(s).

1344573435733i2.jpg

The Italian (left) and the German (right) way of parking. Smiley Yes, the Fiat 500 is shorter but still...

1344573504559i3.jpg

Hotel garage...actually only for one day because it was always full and I had to leave my car in the outside parking lot (which apparently wasn't a problem).

1344573559882i4.jpg

Very deserted parking lot near Movieland but apparently, no safety issues...

1344573623658i5.jpg

Parking lot in Riva del Garda city center but don't ask how I entered the parking lot because it was almost impossible to make the turn (I took the photo from an empty parking lot which was actually occupied before, so you can imagine).

1344573725688i6.jpg

Nice "sun shield" at a parking lot next to the Autostrada, pretty effective. We had over 32°C the whole week during our stay, beautiful and hot weather. The black color of the car certainly is no advantage in the hot sun but the A/C works pretty well.

1344573825599i7.jpg

Beautiful route along the lake, highly recommended, especially for cab drivers and motorcycle riders.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Re: Italy Trip in Panamera Turbo S

Very cool shots Smiley

That car looks damn good,

--
    Happy Driving

RC:

Sorry, i wrote a pretty long article regarding this trip and my experience with the PTS but the Rennteam forum software "ate it up"...as usual. SmileyWhich sucks big time.

do it in Word, then copy and paste .. but you knew that already Smiley

Glad you had a nice holiday RC :) kiss The car looks great and really mean wink A nice guide to parking in that region

BTW just copy the text to the clipboard before you submit your post angry Even on an iPad, it's easy kiss

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Thanks for the great photos RC!  It looks like a very nice family outing in the ultimate family car.

Glad you enjoyed the trip with your family!

Any encounters on the autostrade, with other fast cars or with the Polizia Stradale perhaps? I wonder how the fast Porsche was received in Italy?

--

"Form follows function"

Great car, great country. The perfect family sports car! Congrats!!!Smiley

RC:
    The Italian (left) and the German (right) way of parking. Smiley

Well, I guess the 500 was just scared. Smiley

Nice pics and a great looking car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Car looks great, much better than I expected to be honest. The black headlights really make it stand out amongst other Panamera's. kiss

Nice car. Love the shot of the lake. wink

RC, you've just killed me.

I'm going to the exact same place ... but still have 2 weeks to go. I can't bare sitting in my office and looking at those pics at the same time. Smiley

I have not taken one day of vacation since june.

Sounds like a great trip and nice photos too! kiss 

A comprehensive review of parking spaces in Italy angryindecision

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

amazon:

RC, you've just killed me.

I'm going to the exact same place ... but still have 2 weeks to go. I can't bare sitting in my office and looking at those pics at the same time. Smiley

I have not taken one day of vacation since june.

We went there for the 5th year in a row, still discovering new places and beautiful roads! we went up to monte baldo in Vespi, 180km in 1 day!

We came back last sunday and depart again this sunday, but this time by plane. Only for 4 days.

we have a small boat overthere, veeeeeery nice to avoid the traffic in the south!

Always nice cars on the parkinglot of our hotel.

New 991 cab (black), ferrari 458,AMG sl, cayenne, X6, our A5 looked pale in this company.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

Very nice pics!Smiley
    Unbelievable how the Panamera stands out in the mass of the other "normal" cars.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

I updated the first post in the thread with a short travel report.

Btw: Many consider this to be the best hotel around Lake Garda http://www.villafeltrinelli.com/index.html but smaller kids aren't permitted and I prefer a more relaxed and more modern atmosphere.

This hotel is just the perfect combo between luxury, cost and comfort: http://www.dulacetduparc.com . They have a guarded parking lot and even a subterranean parking lot (if needed), it is very safe.

There are many good hotels, especially in the South but I prefer the more quiet North and the prices are also lower. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, thank you for your updated report which is very intersting about the capabilites of the car and the economic climate in Italy. This 1000 EUR law is quite stupid for hotels, since you can settle your bill interimly in various points in time at just below the 1000 limit each yes

IMO the biggest difference your car makes compared to other Panameras are the black lights and the black wheels. The  side skirts and the front air dam don't make an immediate impression on a black car. It looks like a large sportscar really, which according to your driving impressions it really is one.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

RC, thank you for your updated report which is very intersting about the capabilites of the car and the economic climate in Italy. This 1000 EUR law is quite stupid for hotels, since you can settle your bill interimly in various points in time at just below the 1000 limit each yes

Apparently the hotel(s) and businesses accept only one payment per stay or for single goods but of course if you buy stuff for under 1000 EUR each, it works. This is kind of difficult for buying a car or an expensive watch though. Smiley

I'm pretty sure however that where is a will, there is a way... Smiley

People are actually always surprised when I pay by credit card, even smaller amounts under 50 EUR but I really don't carry much cash with me around, it is annoying and my wife sometimes thinks that I am an ATM if I have cash in my pocket. Smiley So I prefer credit cards all the way.

I don't pay by credit card in Germany though, I pay with the usual EC/Maestro Card.

--

RC:
    reginos:

Apparently the hotel(s) and businesses accept only one payment per stay or for single goods but of course if you buy stuff for under 1000 EUR each, it works. This is kind of difficult for buying a car or an expensive watch though. Smiley

I'm pretty sure however that where is a will, there is a way... Smiley

Extend the stay on the limit or change hotel yes. Anyway, I think 1000 EUR is a very small amount to catch fraudsters If it was 5.000 EUR, not to say 10.000 EUR I could understand it 

People are actually always surprised when I pay by credit card, even smaller amounts under 50 EUR but I really don't carry much cash with me around, it is annoying and my wife sometimes thinks that I am an ATM if I have cash in my pocket. Smiley So I prefer credit cards all the way.

I don't pay by credit card in Germany though, I pay with the usual EC/Maestro Card.

I don't like cards especially credit cards where they charge you interest. I like to pay in cash always, so I am perhaps biased. When I go abroad I carry cards just in case, but also distribute cash in my various pockets, waist bag etc.indecision

--

"Form follows function"

great wrtie up on the car and the scenery didn't really intrude on those nice car shots

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Great pics and story, Christian. Have you tried to measure the acc figures?

I much prefer paying overseas by credit card ... much lower FX rates than when getting foreign currency from a bureau de change.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

I much prefer paying overseas by credit card ... much lower FX rates than when getting foreign currency from a bureau de change.

Especially if you make the right choice of card. Smiley

--

fritz

RC, thanks for the nice write-up and congrats again on a cool looking and thoughtfully specced Panamera Turbo S. kiss

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Very informative and insightful report. Smiley
    Yes, the color choice for the Panamera is something very special.

They offer a lot of brownish colors but nothing that really suits the car. Finally the remaining choice ends up with silver, white and black. Or possibly even grey. But I think this color is pretty expressionless.Smiley

If you think about long enough one automatically lands on black. Black is very impressive, especially with black applications and black wheels.

Your car is really a very good combination with a sporty and expensive touch.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

i have seen a few GTS 's in white; with the black out trim they look pretty stunning.

if the Panamera was smaller & a bit more variation in ride height for bad snow, i would dump both my cars in a minute & consolidate into a GTS.

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Contrary of what RC is posting, i must say (now at lake Garda till wednesday) ,i spotted  more exclusieve Cars then past  years.

Wiessman, viper, lots of 997, 3 991, 2 981, 458's, gallardo balboni, countless cayenne, 2 panamera ( one white, one black)

I really thaught being in p-heaven, when à full black 991 cab ,with black turborims, and PSE arrived at our hotel.

Gosh....Smiley What à beauty!

On the lake itself there were less Boats than other years. People in resto-business are complaining. 

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

artur777:

Great pics and story, Christian. Have you tried to measure the acc figures?

100 to 200 kph only...8.03 seconds average (four runs).

Car has 3600 km now.

I just don't have the time right now, maybe in September. Smiley

--

beltar:

Contrary of what RC is posting, i must say (now at lake Garda till wednesday) ,i spotted  more exclusieve Cars then past  years.

Wiessman, viper, lots of 997, 3 991, 2 981, 458's, gallardo balboni, countless cayenne, 2 panamera ( one white, one black)

I really thaught being in p-heaven, when à full black 991 cab ,with black turborims, and PSE arrived at our hotel.

Gosh....Smiley What à beauty!

On the lake itself there were less Boats than other years. People in resto-business are complaining. 

I suppose you are in the South and probably at a "better" hotel too? Smiley

We stayed in the North and even at our hotel, the most expensive cars were a Panamera 4S and two 997 Cabs.

--

CPA4S:

i have seen a few GTS 's in white; with the black out trim they look pretty stunning.

if the Panamera was smaller & a bit more variation in ride height for bad snow, i would dump both my cars in a minute & consolidate into a GTS.

You are aware that you can raise the chassis by 20 mm up to a speed of 30 kph? Of course this doesn't make an Offroader out of the Panamera but I was able to enter a pretty "tricky" parking lot in Italy with that ride height raise, otherwise I would have hit the undercarriage (pretty stupid parking lot).

The Panamera isn't really bigger than the new BMW 5 series for example but it just feels that way, especially if you switch to a smaller car (in my case the C63 Coupe for example) all the time.

--

reginos:

Extend the stay on the limit or change hotel yes. Anyway, I think 1000 EUR is a very small amount to catch fraudsters If it was 5.000 EUR, not to say 10.000 EUR I could understand it 

The amount seems to be small but it affects a lot of people, especially in the daily shopping routine. There seems to be a lot of tax fraud going on...still...so I think 1000 EUR is the "right" amount to try to kill it.

My hotel was 800 EUR a night, so not many possibilities here if you really want to enjoy your stay. Smiley

In Germany for example, if someone is paying with 500 EUR banknotes, it can trigger a money laundering alert. Also if Germans customs "catches" you with more than one 500 EUR banknote in your pocket at the border, be sure they will search you (and your car) there thoroughly.

People may not realize it but authorities are on the lookout for even smaller signs of possible tax fraud, which can be annoying at times.

I don't like cards especially credit cards where they charge you interest. I like to pay in cash always, so I am perhaps biased. When I go abroad I carry cards just in case, but also distribute cash in my various pockets, waist bag etc.indecision

I love credit cards because I don't have to carry cash around but like I said before, I don't pay with a credit card in Germany, it doesn't make much sense.

Paying with cash will be more and more difficult though, I'm pretty sure that one day, the EU will introduce non-cash payments for sums over a certain amount (200 or 500 EUR for example) only. Officially probably to facilitate commerce but in reality, to combat tax fraud.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773420 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM