Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

bobr:

This video was recorded last fall at the NYC 918 launch event that I attended. I recognized my Porsche Dealer Sales Associate who attended with me.

I suspect from comments in the YouTube thread that it was not meant "for public consumption" and got leaked by someone from Canoe Studio, NY, rather than released by Porsche.  Smiley

--

fritz

Agree ..I believe Porsche may have been planning on using some of this for future advertising. Security was very tight at the event. Our cell phones were taken at the front desk and we signed a non-disclosure agreeement.angry There are still piece of information about the 918 provided that night which have not been relaeased.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Enjoy!

Like it a lot, is this final then?

DAT ASS ! i am really liking it !

angelangelangel

Great design, much better than Geneva proto!!! The only thing I would add are cameras instead of mirrors, but its impossible...mirrors are also masterpiece! Mauer did a perfect work!

--

sportcars-history.com

pxaxh:

DAT ASS ! i am really liking it !

+1000 ! Thats is one sexy Porsche.  The only thing I'm not completely sold on are the wheels. 

Futch:
    Budster:

Whereas new Ferraris always look like Toyota's, and new McClarens look like Ferraris.  And new Lamborghinis have the same racing pedigree as old Lambos and therefore who cares what they look like.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

This is a very one sided comment but it just made my day! Smiley

+1.   Hilarious!

kudryavchik:

angelangelangel

Great design, much better than Geneva proto!!! 

Really? Smiley I'm a bit underwhelmed, but maybe it's the boring color. The proto looked more special to me.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:
    kudryavchik:

angelangelangel

Great design, much better than Geneva proto!!! 

Really? Smiley I'm a bit underwhelmed, but maybe it's the boring color. The proto looked more special to me.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

The car that was presented on public, that named real everywhere is not a car, it is shell without components, that why it can look wrong.

--

sportcars-history.com

Have found info that these shots were made 9 months ago, so the car seems to be not final. Sure that the leakage was planned by porsche to make up interest to the car. Amazing moves from porsche pr dep., showing us not the mules but cars with different, non finalized design...

--

sportcars-history.com

Porsche 918 Spyder prototype road testing...

Porsche 918 Spyder prototype road testing -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

kudryavchik:

Have found info that these shots were made 9 months ago, so the car seems to be not final. Sure that the leakage was planned by porsche to make up interest to the car. Amazing moves from porsche pr dep., showing us not the mules but cars with different, non finalized design...

I very much doubt that. 
    a)   Porsche would not want to release a video showing the faces of prospective customers, for obvious reasons 
    b)  It would be crazy to publish a video showing two versions of the car without at least a sound track to clearly explain the context.

--

fritz

Porsche 918 Spyder video...

Porsche-918-Spyder_TS-01.jpg

...now we need to hear what that V8 engine sounds like at 9000rpm! Smiley

Porsche-918-Spyder -- Teamspeed-video-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

...turn up the volume!

Porsche 918 Spyder -- automobilemagazinefr video link

Smiley SmileySmiley

fritz:
    kudryavchik:

I very much doubt that. 
    a)   Porsche would not want to release a video showing the faces of prospective customers, for obvious reasons 
    b)  It would be crazy to publish a video showing two versions of the car without at least a sound track to clearly explain the context.

It seems there were some misunderstandings within Porsche. The author of the video first got green light to publish it, then green light turned to red. But removing a video that's been published on the net isn't easy... ;-)

The original car shown last year is real because it was driving at Pebble beach in both hybrid and non hybrid modes. :)

Porsche 918 Spyder spied in Martini Racing livery...

Porsche 918 Spyder spied in Martini Racing livery -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I really like how the 918 looks but considering the performance of the new Ferrari F12 at a much lower price tag, I wonder how good the 918 performance will be compared to the competition. I know, I know, the F12 isn't necessarily a direct 918 competitor but judging by the 8.5 seconds acceleration time from 0-200 kph, I still wonder... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Is it just me, or does the fitment of the tail lights look either completely screwed, or possibly an indication that either they are not the final version, of the rear bumper isn't??

It looks like regular 991 tail lights. The final 918 tail lights will look a little bit diffirent....

--

RC:

I really like how the 918 looks but considering the performance of the new Ferrari F12 at a much lower price tag, I wonder how good the 918 performance will be compared to the competition. I know, I know, the F12 isn't necessarily a direct 918 competitor but judging by the 8.5 seconds acceleration time from 0-200 kph, I still wonder... 

I think performances will be similar, if only marginally better for the 918. It is a new breed of supercars, which will hopefully spawn a new breed of sports cars. It definitely is a leap of faith and I can hope they really manage to bring down the fuel consumption, because, added hybrid performance is one thing but they have to achieve the target of better consumption. 3 L/100km is a dream but anything under 10 will be an amazing achievement.

A few days ago, I did Paris Nice in a Ferrari FF and it took me three fuel stops, not two, three! This is frankly ridiculous. a BMW 535d would have arrived well before me. Very nice GT by the way, but its fuel consumption is no way near what Ferrari claims. 

Back in the days when I had my 599, my lowest fuel consumtion when I was cruising at 130 kmh was 20 L/100km!!!Smiley

To some people it just doesn't matter. For me, I drive in total about 100000km per year. 

If the 918 can take me to Nice on one fuel tank and then lap the Castellet faster than my Carrera GT, I'll put my hat off.

Nice triple wink

IMG_1725.jpg

--

Futch:
    A few days ago, I did Paris Nice in a Ferrari FF and it took me three fuel stops, not two, three! This is frankly ridiculous. a BMW 535d would have arrived well before me. Very nice GT by the way, but its fuel consumption is no way near what Ferrari claims. 

Back in the days when I had my 599, my lowest fuel consumtion when I was cruising at 130 kmh was 20 L/100km!!!Smiley

To some people it just doesn't matter. For me, I drive in total about 100000km per year. 

If the 918 can take me to Nice on one fuel tank and then lap the Castellet faster than my Carrera GT, I'll put my hat off.

Yes, the 535d may have arrived earlier but not with the same driving fun. Smiley

C'mon, are you really thinking about fuel consumption? When it comes to cars of this caliber, I rather think about performance.

I really like the new F12, I can't help it. Actually I think I would rather go for this one instead of the Aventador. Of course I cannot afford either of them but if I had to make a choice, it would be the F12 right now. Looking at how much the F12 costs and that I could probably get another two F12 for the money of a 918, I don't know...just saying... Smiley

In my opinion, the new F12 is the best offer right now in the sports car world, performance and cost wise. I may be mistaken but I think that the maintenance is also included in the price tag...for the next 7 years or so. Amazing.

I also have another "worry" with the 918: Right now, this is a unique car and I really like it. What happens, if Porsche puts the long awaited mid engined model slightly above the 911 Turbo on the market...and it looks almost like the 918? Porsche doesn't have much alternatives here, I think they will look similar and performance won't be much different too...for a much lower price. 

Look at the Carrera GT right now: Yes, still a wonderful car but a 997 Turbo S is already a challenge, especially for acceleration runs from 0-100 and 0-200 kph. I smoked a friend's Carrera GT from 0-100 kph. OK, it was only by a quarter of a car length but I was in a Panamera Turbo S...a sedan. You get my point.

No doubt, the 918 is a wonderful Porsche and it will be the hell of a car but I'm not so sure it will be the best "deal" out there. Not that true car enthusiasts would really care about that. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    I really like the new F12, I can't help it. Actually I think I would rather go for this one instead of the Aventador. Of course I cannot afford either of them but if I had to make a choice, it would be the F12 right now. Looking at how much the F12 costs and that I could probably get another two F12 for the money of a 918, I don't know...just saying... Smiley

WIthout knowing Futch's answer yet - my feeling is that the F12 looks much better on paper than behind the wheel. This is just based on my experiences with the 599GTB (which Futch also owned). These cars have a lot of power and high-tech features but they are way too heavy and their setup is just not perfect for enthusiasts who look for precision and performance at the same time. Of course, I have not driven the F12 yet - thus, the aforementioned is more like an educated guess at this point in time. I am very interested in what Futch thinks about this topic Smiley

RC:
    Futch:

Yes, the 535d may have arrived earlier but not with the same driving fun. Smiley

C'mon, are you really thinking about fuel consumption? When it comes to cars of this caliber, I rather think about performance.

In my opinion, the new F12 is the best offer right now in the sports car world, performance and cost wise. I may be mistaken but I think that the maintenance is also included in the price tag...for the next 7 years or so. Amazing.

I also have another "worry" with the 918: Right now, this is a unique car and I really like it. What happens, if Porsche puts the long awaited mid engined model slightly above the 911 Turbo on the market...and it looks almost like the 918? Porsche doesn't have much alternatives here, I think they will look similar and performance won't be much different too...for a much lower price. 

Look at the Carrera GT right now: Yes, still a wonderful car but a 997 Turbo S is already a challenge, especially for acceleration runs from 0-100 and 0-200 kph. I smoked a friend's Carrera GT from 0-100 kph. OK, it was only by a quarter of a car length but I was in a Panamera Turbo S...a sedan. You get my point.

No doubt, the 918 is a wonderful Porsche and it will be the hell of a car but I'm not so sure it will be the best "deal" out there. Not that true car enthusiasts would really care about that. Smiley Smiley

--

Ok Christian, you nailed me Smiley

I may not care about fuel consumption (Actually, I do, a little bit but not much).

But what I do care about is stopping three times for 30 minutes to refuel 200 euros over an 8 hours journey.

The F12 I am sure is a fantastic car and if the weight announced is correct (which is not because all car manufacturers don't seem to use the same scale as us, normal human beings) then the on paper numbers are mind blowing.

And yet, I'd rather have an Aventador. It has that supercar looks. The F12 is more like a GT with a big boot for fantastic cross continental journeys, the perfect sports car for the modern gentleman in a hurry. Oh wait, no, not in hurry, he'll have to stop every 250 km for 30 min to refuel his beast. 

I love the Alps in the summer, best driving roads, and given any choice, I'd actually take a GT3 4.0, light, nimble, feel some and enough torque with the 4L engine. 

The Carrera GT, yes you're right, my Turbo S is also faster every time in a straight line, especially from a stand still. But for me, the fun of driving doesn't involve straight lines.

The GT on winding roads still feels faster, I could well be wrong, but it's the whole experience, the manual gearbox, the roof off, that noise, the razor sharp handling, the huge grip from those fat tyres (345), I don't know, for me, in terms of driving experience, it still nails it.

The 918, Yes I agree with you 100%. I would be pissed off if Porsche released a 960 or whatever with the same shape and not hybrid. And I'd feel a bit stupid for spending 918 money if the 960 was half the cost but 90% the performance. I tell you one thing, this 918 better be amazing! I still think it will be, let's hope and wait.

They screwed up the 959 in 87, I hope someone in there still remembers.

MKSGR:
    RC:

WIthout knowing Futch's answer yet - my feeling is that the F12 looks much better on paper than behind the wheel. This is just based on my experiences with the 599GTB (which Futch also owned). These cars have a lot of power and high-tech features but they are way too heavy and their setup is just not perfect for enthusiasts who look for precision and performance at the same time. Of course, I have not driven the F12 yet - thus, the aforementioned is more like an educated guess at this point in time. I am very interested in what Futch thinks about this topic Smiley

Same here Markus, I haven't driven one yet. 

The FF is a great GT, very fast, very comfy, very very thirsty and feels lighter than its weight would suggest. But modern Ferraris are still too digital for me in terms of driving, the chassis are great but it's the steering that feels too disconnected from the experience. Apparently they have addressed that with the 599 GTO, even my HGTE to a certain extend what slightly better than the standard car. 

In a car like the FF or the California, it's absolutely fine, but the 458 deserves a better steering. I hope the F12 addresses that but from what I've read from the press, it doesn't.

My 599 was great Markus, I drove 30000 km with it and lost a fortune when I part exchanged it. A Great GT, but not adapted to the Alps (I sold it after an alpine trip actually) and too thirsty (250km in sports driving and it would 500km on a the motorway at 125 kmh, yeah great...).

I exchanged it for an Alfa 8C Spider, best sounding modern car, achingly beautiful and actually fun to drive. It was the right thing to do to as they seem to have stabilised in value.

I haven't driven the F12 yet, so I can't say much about it. I judged it by the specs only and I agree with Markus that Ferrari specs always look good on paper and the cars are beautiful but when it comes to spirited enthusiast driving, well... angry

Yes, Futch...the Aventador would be my first choice if money and my neighborhood wouldn't be an issue. The Aventador is how a modern super sports car has to look alike and the 918 isn't far behind, the design reminds me a little bit of the Ford GT and I always liked the Ford.

Futch, consider yourself very fortunate that you can drive (and own) so many fantastic sports cars. I really envy you and not in a bad or mean way. I admire your car collection and each time you are telling us about your experience, I savor it with all of my heart. Can't wait to see the first 918 driving report from you. blush

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442926 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261972 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86029 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6038 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881713 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819913 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM