Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Driver Experience Day at Silverstone - and some surprising impressions

Yesterday SWMBO and myself were invited to an all day driver event at the Porsche Driver Experience Centre at Silverstone, to drive the whole Porsche range of cars. As stated in the title we came away with some expected and some surprising impressions.

We drove up the previous evening and stayed overnight at the excellent Whittlebury Hall Hotel, www.whittleburyhall.co.uk   only 15 minutes away in order that we could arrive fresh for the days event.

We arrived at 08:30hrs for reception and breakfast, and after the driver briefing with all the usual safety stuff we started. The attendees were split into four groups.

Cayenne Hybrid / Diesel

First up for us was an 45 minute outing in Cayenne, half in the Hybrid version and half in the diesel. Both were fairly high specced with air suspension and the diesel having the 20" wheels (which did make the ride suffer a little bit). The technology is truly impressive in the Hybrid version, earily quiet when it starts off in electric mode before the 3 litre petrol engine cuts in. Flooring it, when both the petrol engine and electric motor combine power was impressive for a 2 tonne vehicle. Comfort and refinement superb as is the driving position  and all round visibility. Turning round in the confines of a pub car park where we changed drivers revealed an amazingly tight turning circle for such a large car. Swopping cars into the diesel just proved for us that the huge surcharge for similar performance and not so good economy is simply just not worth it, at least here in the UK. The low down torque of the diesel was simply effortless and just as refined as the hybrid at all times other than stationary (where the start / stop cuts the engine anyway unless shut off) and very hard acceleration. Later back at the Centre one of the Porsche driver experts took us for a turn on the awesome off road circuit not in a new Cayenne but an old pre-production left hand drive model that had done this torture every day. First up an 50% hill (1/1) down the other side, the same incline. A 45% angled side slope. A section of track that had concrete hillocks about 1 metre high diagonally spaced that left diagonally opposite wheels nearly a metre off the ground. The stress that must have put through the chassis Smiley !! Demonstrations then followed showing how the various diff - locks locks and hill brake assist worked. The amazing thing was that after years of day after day treatment there was no rattles, squeaks or any sign of wear and tear.

A truly impressive vehicle that prior to yesterday I just viewed as a shed on wheels.

Cayman / Boxster (981)

This drive was purely on the Experience Centre handling circuit together with the kick plate (to demonstrate oversteer) where a vast smooth steel plate coated in low friction surface soaked in water is moved either left or right suddenly as the car arrives on the plate, either left or right, and then the trick is to catch and control the resultant oversteer before a spin. This only works if the entry speed is between 17 - 30 mph as the kick plate mechanism won't ioperate outside of those limits. This becomes increasingly difficult as the speed increases and whilst it is reasonably easy to catch at the lower end above 25 mph I found it virtually impossible. It is a real awakener as once the tyres lose griop there is nothing PSM or anything else can do to help you other than skill and a great deal of luck. Then to the ice hill which you drive through a slalom of water jets on an incline at a target speed of 25mph to show car control and the abilities on PSM. The last runs were done with PSM off and as the car loses grip how PSM shuts down engine power and controls slides. Personally I really enjoyed it with PSM off with the tail sliing and controlling the power myself. We then  did several laps on the handling circuit swapping cars. We drove a Cayman 2.9 manual followed by Boxster S (981) PDK.

The difference between 987 and 981 was really eye opening. The two cars felt 20 years apart, it was that different. The interior of the new Boxster (the car we drove had the lovely agate / pebble bi colour leather) is just in a different league and the everything about the new car is a sheer revelation. If we still owned our Cayman we would have come away mightily depressed!!!!

We then  broke for an excellent and healthy 3 course lunch.

Afterwards :-

Panamera Hybrid / Diesel

Same trip out on the public roads as we did for the Cayenne, again didn't see the point of the extra money for Hybrid over the very refined diesel. Superbly comfortable and as with all Porsche the depth of engineering and quality very impressive. Truly luxurious in the rear and once driving the size of the car did seem to shrink around you. SWMBO was not as impressed with Panamera as she was with Cayenne, mainly due to the high driving position of the former. However if there is such a car as a sports limousine, then this must be it, the speed with which the car changes direction, the precision of the steering and how the car seems to shrink once driving it is very impressive.

We drove 991 (non S ) PDK with sports chassis, sports exhaust and PCCB, and 991 S manual with standard brakes over the Silverstone handling circuit only. PDK seems faster than before, but the new interior seems more Panamera luxurious than sports car. I think that compared with the similar Boxster dash its the vents that are small and rectangular in 991 and a much more modern design in 981. Strange that such a detail would make such a different impression. The engine sound whilst more vocal also sounded somehow artificial as it's acoustically "piped" into the car and sounded it. But the sports exhaust fitted to this car souneded wonderful with the addition of the overrun crackle and spit was just wonderful. The manual 991 S had what felt to be an overly heavy clutch pedal which the Porsche expert stated was not typical, but of course our own 997 being PDK I've no direct comparison. Engine note in the S is more gruiff than the standard car but still sounded a little bit artificial.

The car seemed more GT / cruiser in character than sports car, at least that's the impression created on our all too short experience. Maybe that's just the much more luxurious interior than 997.

Overall I wasn't as impressed with the improvements of 991 over 997 than I was 981 over 987. which was another big surpise.Smiley

We also spent 30 minutes in the "Wellness Centre" a sophisticated fully equipped gymnasium used by some of the Formula one drivers, rally drivers and other professional athletes. We all had a go athe "Batak" apparatus which is a wall mounted device about 2 metres high by 1.5 metreside with lights that come on at random that have to be hit out. This tests reaction times and peripheral vision. I did pitifully sadly!.

My surpises : How good Cayenne is, the light years difference between 987 and 981 and our lack of similar impressions with 991 over 997. In fact one of the driver consultants there said to us that the 981 is so good Porsche are going to have to do something pretty quick with 991 if it is not going to steal serious sales from the lower end of 991 range, even though loyalty from customers to the 911 brand will still be strong.

The day ended at around 17:00hrs after tea and cakes. I was anticipating getting back into our 3 year old 997 would seem an anticlimax but amazingly it didn't!

---

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Re: Driver Experience Day at Silverstone - and some surprising impressions

Great article, well written.....& I imagine you must have had a fabulous day!!

Great report, thanks for sharing. Did you felt a big difference in power from your car to the 991S ?

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Great report, thanks for sharing. Did you felt a big difference in power from your car to the 991S ?

J.Seven

Not really, to be honest although on the confines of the Silverstone handling circuit there isn't much opportunity to extend it. Also the 991S was a manual car whereas our 997S is PDK which does make an appreciable difference. I'm sure a 991S PDK would feel quicker though.

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the synopsis.

Interesting, your view on 991 vs 997 - I attended similar event at Silverstone when they launched GTS. Whilst impressive, it wasn't a step change to my car so I kept it. Am now thinking of 991 (albeit used) as I've been with my car for 5 years now - perhaps I should just keep it a while longer...

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Thanks for the synopsis.

Interesting, your view on 991 vs 997 - I attended similar event at Silverstone when they launched GTS. Whilst impressive, it wasn't a step change to my car so I kept it. Am now thinking of 991 (albeit used) as I've been with my car for 5 years now - perhaps I should just keep it a while longer...

Maybe my impressions would be different after a longer drive in 991 on open roads. Who knows. But I expected a similar step change 997 to 991 as we felt between 981 and 987 - but we just didn't.

You should really try the Cayenne - I see you have an XC-90, a friend of ours has one for towing his huge caravan around (I realise my risk of admitting I have a very good friend who has a huge caravan) Smiley but it feels extremely crude after Cayenne, even accepting that the Porsche is a lot more money. But I guess the big Volvo is a very good workhorse.

--

Thanks DC for sharing your experience and your impressions.

I'm not surprised that the 981 impressed you so much. However I didn't expect the 991 experience to be such a let down. I bet you are happy now that you went for a 997.2!

Thanks again!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Thanks easy - I also expected to come away hankering after a 981 S Boxster but whilst it's a magnificent car it doesn't justify the huge cost to change that probably exists now.

A decently equipped 991 S, the equivalent of your magnificent 997/1 would probably now be in excess of £100k - a frightening prospect!

--

A few reasons for the XC-90 - it was what I thought, a stupidly low price. It's reasonable to trundle around in with a great stereo and all the kit I need. (R-Design version) But mainly, it has 7 seats which have proven to be extremely useful at times. I'm still no fan of the Cayenne's asthetics but I agree, it's an extrodinary car to drive.

--

bridggar:

A few reasons for the XC-90 - it was what I thought, a stupidly low price. It's reasonable to trundle around in with a great stereo and all the kit I need. (R-Design version) But mainly, it has 7 seats which have proven to be extremely useful at times. I'm still no fan of the Cayenne's asthetics but I agree, it's an extrodinary car to drive.

I love the high driving position and comfort of the big SUV's. There is only two of us and no dogs, so would be irrelevant for us. Our friend finds the XC-90 a great tow car, he tried all of them including the BMW X5, Range Rover etc and the XC-90 was by far the best for his needs.

--

Excellent write-up. Also, some surprising conclusions. Is it possible that subconsciously you always wanted to keep your 997.2 and was looking for reasons not to like the 991 or you were influenced by prior similar reviews regarding the 991?yes

FWIW, the 991 does little for me but I find it difficult to believe that Porsche did not improve the car substantially over the 997.2 as it apparently did with the 987 and 981.

--

dreamcar:

Overall I wasn't as impressed with the improvements of 991 over 997 than I was 981 over 987. which was another big surpise.Smiley

Thank you for the great report, DC - I trust you and SWMBO had a fab time at Silverstone Smiley

I fully agree with your assessment. The 991 appears to be more of an evolution compared to the 997 (unless you drive the cars at the limit where the 991 really shines) whereas the 981 is more like a revolution compared to the 987 - which you can feel at any speed. The naked figures (like 0-100 acceleration etc.) don't seem to indicate this, but the driving experience / subjective feel does. A friend of mine (of course also a long time Porschephile Smiley) even suggested to re-name the Boxster as it has become a very different animal compared to its predecessors (986/987).

Maybe even the marketing headline in the German marketing brochures for the 981 has some truth in it (which is a rather rare thing for the marketing stuff Smiley): Unabhängigkeitserklärung = Declaration of Independence Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Great report, dreamcar. Smiley  Thanks for taking the trouble to write it. 

Sounds like you had a great day. 

--

fritz

Nice read, dreamcar  Smiley !

As to the difference between a 991 and a 997, I do think that it is always also a question of  whether you are satisfied with a product or not. I attended a driving event of Porsche Club Germany at Hockenheim last Sunday (Porsche Club Cup) with my 997.1 and had aaaaaaaaaaaaa lot of fun driving it, though in comparison to the (few) 991 participating I lost a few seconds on each lap obviously. My average time was something between 2.11 and 2.13 minutes for the long course at Hockenheim, so let's assume that these 991 drivers managed something like between 2.07 to 2.09. As the driving event was about continuity in lap times and not racing who is first, I did not think a moment about "what if I could have a new 991"?  Do I care, whether my car accelerates in 5 sec to 62 mph or in 4.4 sec ? Nope...Do I still regard my car to be a lot of fun ? ...Yes ! ...my 2cts... 

Thanks Dreamcar,

that is a great writeup and I find your conclusions to be very reasonable. 

nberry:

Excellent write-up. Also, some surprising conclusions. Is it possible that subconsciously you always wanted to keep your 997.2 and was looking for reasons not to like the 991 or you were influenced by prior similar reviews regarding the 991?yes

FWIW, the 991 does little for me but I find it difficult to believe that Porsche did not improve the car substantially over the 997.2 as it apparently did with the 987 and 981.

Hi Nick Smiley

Thanks for your comments Smiley - believe it or not I did honestly expect the 991 to be a game changer particularly bearing in mind that our 997 is over 3 years old and the close relationship between 987/997 and similarly close 981/991 which is largely unchanged. I tried to be completely open minded - but there is no way, as long as God makes little apples, that I could even remotely contemplate trading up to a new, or even used 991. Maybe I'm simply envious and trying to convince myself that the 991 isn't worth it and that was clouding my judgement - but I honestly don't believe so. Maybe I'm still a 911 rookie so I'm still learning the 911 "ways" and I'm more comfortable with the mid engined cars - but I've learned an enormous respect for the 911 tradition and the painstaking development that's brought it to where it is today in the 4 months since we've "joined the club", and that respect grows the more I drive the car.

I also didn't drive the 991 at 10/10ths and this is where the road tests (and PJ in his reply above) say the major differences lie? But driving on public roads at non-reckless speeds that could be considered irrelevant anyway? Smiley Sadly we don't have the benefit of Germany's de-restricted Autobahns, so how a car feels at legal speeds is crucial.

Also of course it was a very short assessment but in a similarly short space of time I was bowled over by the improvements to 981 over 987 and that was with a side by side comparison with Cayman.

--

Porsche-Jeck:

The 991 appears to be more of an evolution compared to the 997 (unless you drive the cars at the limit where the 991 really shines) whereas the 981 is more like a revolution compared to the 987 - which you can feel at any speed.

I think this sums it up nicely Smiley

--

Thank you dreamcar for your very valid impressions and for sharing those with us. 

I agree with your Hybrid to Diesel comparisons. I would go for the diesel myself but perhaps I'd wait for the more powerful 310+ HP V6 from the QS5.

Your conclusion that the 997.2 stands very well to the comparison with the 991 coincides with what most of us expressed after we drove the new car. Perhaps, the 911 configuration has reached its maximum, so improvements can only be marginal, unless the layout and dimensions are changed significantly. The 987 wasn't IMO as a well honed product as the 997 and this is perhaps the reason the 981 impresses in comparison to the older car.

Having said the above, the ride of the 991 even on non-PASM suspension is a great improvement on the 997's. Also the 991 is a more effortless ground covering car and more confidence inspiring, partly  due to the more compliant suspension and the wider front track.  And still a sportscar par excellence. But for me it is not so much better as to spend a considerable amount above the current value of my 997.2.

--

"Form follows function"

Please understand I HAD to probe your conclusions regarding the 991 because I know how much you love your 997.2 and it's the lawyer in me.Smiley

Your reply makes a lot of sense.Smiley

--

nberry:

Please understand I HAD to probe your conclusions regarding the 991 because I know how much you love your 997.2 and it's the lawyer in me.Smiley

Your reply makes a lot of sense.Smiley

No problem Nick, you meant no offence and none was taken. Smiley Your comments did make me think again about my conclusions on the 991, it was surprising as I said not only is our own car over 3 years old and is not specced to the nth degree to our liking as if we'd ordered it from new, but the 997 itself is now 4 years old based on 997/1 which is seven years old, and I believe 997/1 is only a very heavily revised and inproved 996 that itself was introduced way back in 1996 when Porsche had much less funds available to develop a new car.  So I expected a completely brand new car, re designed from scratch to be such a big leap. The 981 felt like that immediately I got in it after climbing out of an equally new Cayman. Strange. Maybe reginos is right there is only so much that can be done with the rear engined cars that any improvement can only be marginal. Smiley

--

Great write up thanks for the effort

And again.... One more very positive quote for the new Boxster. Everyone loves it so far!

dreamcar:

This drive was purely on the Experience Centre handling circuit together with the kick plate (to demonstrate oversteer) where a vast smooth steel plate coated in low friction surface soaked in water is moved either left or right suddenly as the car arrives on the plate, either left or right, and then the trick is to catch and control the resultant oversteer before a spin. This only works if the entry speed is between 17 - 30 mph as the kick plate mechanism won't operate outside of those limits. This becomes increasingly difficult as the speed increases and whilst it is reasonably easy to catch at the lower end above 25 mph I found it virtually impossible. It is a real awakener as once the tyres lose griop there is nothing PSM or anything else can do to help you other than skill and a great deal of luck.

A really excellent report DC - many thanks and so glad that you and SWMBO had an enjoyable and productive day..Smiley

As far as the kick-plate exercise is concerned, in a PDK car, I also found it impossible to catch... until I noticed that, when demonstrating, the instructor manually changed to 2nd gear before the plate kicked in!!

When I did the same, and met the plate at around 30 mph, I had no difficulty in catching it either left or right... The instructor seemed quite peeved when I pointed out the difference between meeting it in 2nd gear as opposed to 1st gear...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

dreamcar,

I had a similar experience at Porsche's Worlwide Roadshow at Monticello Motorsports Club in June. I drove both a Panamera GTS and 991 on the a 2.2 mile road course. While I didn't drift the Panamera GTS around the course like Romain Dumas, I was able to push it very hard and was amazed with how well it handled in some tight chicanes and kept me off the armco. The track was wet so the Porsche driving school instructors understandably wouldn't let us use the sport plus mode. Having driven the 997 GTS on the same course last year, I was impressed by how the 991performed and  kept me out of trouble when I was a little late into an apex. The 991, in my opinion, has the edge at the higher speeds or when I was pushing it. The surprize of the day was the 981 Boxster S.  There is a significant leap in performance over the 987 ( I previously owned a 986 and 987 Boxster S). I found it easier to drive and push the 981S on the track over the 991. There seemed to be more smiles on those getting out of the 981 Boxster S. One can only imagine what the 981 Caymen S will be like when it is introduced later this year.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed jumping back into my 997.1 C2S Cab and making the hour ride home. 

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

great write up.  photos?.....

is the purpose of this drive days to sell u cars??

and any reasons there isnt a GT3? i would be interesting to see a GT3 vs 991S comparison!

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

derder:

great write up.  photos?.....

is the purpose of this drive days to sell u cars??

and any reasons there isnt a GT3? i would be interesting to see a GT3 vs 991S comparison!

Went with the intention of taking photos but didn't get much chance, sorry. Only took my iPhone and they request that phones are turned off as they are a distraction. Quite right too!. When out you don't get much chance to take pictures anyway.

It's a goodwill day, but of course the ultimate aim is indeed to sell cars and have an opportunity to drive the other cars in the range that you wouldn't normally get to try.

They did have a GT3 RS there, but not to drive, only to do quick laps in with one of the centre's professional drivers. Only a few got that offered, the guest  in each group that achieved the highest score on the Batak machine in the wellness centre was one opportunity. Sadly I failed miserably on the Batak!

--

No GT3s at the event I attended. They did have a Cayman R, but only for display purposes. Porsche's focus was definitely on selling you a new car. So we had a mix of experienced Porsche owners - those who brought their helmets and potential first time owners who have never driven a Porsche on the track before. I walked away liking the Panamera GTS and the 981 Boxster more than I did the 991. However, I am looking forward to seeing the 991 Targa when that is launched hopefully by this time next year.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

bobr:

I walked away liking the Panamera GTS and the 981 Boxster more than I did the 991.

Yet another vote for 981 Boxster over 991........and there was me thinking at the time it was "just me"  Smiley

Just to clarify, this event is not actually on the Silverstone GP circuit, it is at Porsche's Driver Experience Centre which is on the Silverstone site, but adjacent to the track, (by Hanger Straight)

http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/porschedrivingtracks/track/

--

So perhaps a dopy question - 981 vs 997? I'm wondering if I should simply trade to Boxster from 997.1 as I'm really after a PDK car.

When I traded from 986 Boxster S to 996 C4S my only real gripe was the booming inside the car on UK roads - this went away when I moved to 997 C2S with PASM. Never seemed to be an issue with Boxster. But I'm sure I'll miss the benefit of occasional rear-seat use I have now....

Decisions decisions....

--

bridggar:

So perhaps a dopy question - 981 vs 997? I'm wondering if I should simply trade to Boxster from 997.1 as I'm really after a PDK car.

When I traded from 986 Boxster S to 996 C4S my only real gripe was the booming inside the car on UK roads - this went away when I moved to 997 C2S with PASM. Never seemed to be an issue with Boxster. But I'm sure I'll miss the benefit of occasional rear-seat use I have now....

Decisions decisions....

Not a daft question at all!  Smiley

981 or 997/2? Smiley Difficult one! We are really pleased with our 997/2 S PDK, amazing performance, comfort, refinement, fuel economy, only around 2 mpg down on our Cayman S PDK and better than our 2006 Boxster S manual. But which to choose depends largely on your preferences and priorities, whether you prefer the mid or rear engined handling characteristics, if you need the rear seats occasionally, more versatile storeage than Boxster if you like us enjoy touring; if you are tall with long legs then it is much easier to get an ideal driving position in 997. But 981 is a significantly more modern design with a much better cockpit than 997. You get an updated PDK 'box with faster response; a more compliant ride, and the better Porsche is the newer Porsche. And of course if you enjoy top down driving. Performance wise I guess you can use more of 981 performance more of the time, here in the UK you can only scratch the surface of 997's potential, which can be frustrating.

Porsche Centre Swindon have customers trading Aston Martin V8 Vantages to 981 Boxster and one customer even going from a Ferrari California to Boxster. It really is that good. Significantly they are not going to 991.

If we could justify the cost to change would be do so? Difficult again, but a new 981S specced to our liking would cost £63K. Ouch!  Smiley That money would buy a very very nice used 997/2 GTS which makes a new 981 look poor value. There are some amazing 997/2 deals available right now. Smiley

I guess that is the other option I've being weighing up - 997.2 with PDK but I really struggle to justify a probable £30k on what will seemingly be an upgraded gearbox and 2 year warranty. Especially as I'm sure the depreciation hit will be pretty significant, pretty quickly.

Maybe I'll just get mine detailed and pretend it's new!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690372 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409682 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255932 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235172 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858348 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774601 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM