Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Only 6000 Nissan GTRs sold to date

I'm not familiar with 911 sales for comparison, but I always thought the GTR was selling extremely well, especially in asia.  It's initial price was incredibly low for the performance. But only 6000 units TOTAL?

I'm just shocked that the future of a next-generation GTR is in doubt.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/27/nissan-gt-r-future-in-doubt/

Re: Only 6000 Nissan GTRs sold to date

I think around 20.000 911s are produced annually.

If the 6.000 figure is true, it seems that the GT-R is an Internet forum favorite where purchases are of the virtual kind.

--

"Form follows function"

Unless I'm very much mistaken, more than twice as many 911 variants are sold every year than the 6000 GTRs sold over four years. 

--

fritz

reginos:

I think around 20.000 911s are produced annually.

If the 6.000 figure is true, it seems that the GT-R is an Internet forum favorite where purchases are of the virtual kind.

The kids that rave about them are probably too young to afford them. I see the odd one, but they are even more rare than the R8.

Most Nissan dealers aren't allocated a showroom car - hardly conducive to mass sales volume!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

To John's point, in order  for a dealer to sell the GTR  they are required to purchase special machinery for diagnostics and repair, train specialty mechanics, and meet certain sales criteria. 

makes it difficult for most dealers to get allocation.

However the .GT-'s looks do it no favors and the early transmission issues did not help sales .

I know two people who bought them. They both kept them one year and traded them off and went back to Porsche and Corvette because the GTR just has no soul. Its just a fast appliance.

This car brought out the very best of the trolls from all over the world indecision

JimFlat6:

I know two people who bought them. They both kept them one year and traded them off and went back to Porsche and Corvette because the GTR just has no soul. Its just a fast appliance.

I had a long look at one on the Nissan stand at this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed. I got the distinct impression that the sales staff were desperate to get a sale, they didn't know me or my means but were amazingly keen to arrange a demonstration. A technical tour de force no doubt, whilst the exterior styling is so-so the interior is horrible, with the dash straight from a 1990's Nissan with no style whatsoever. But as you say it's biggest drawback is the total lack of any character. It would not generate any emotion for me and the novelty of it's amazing performance would wear off very quickly.  I don't think I'd even do a no - cost swop of  our 3 year old 911 for a new GTR. 

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

BiTurbo:

This car brought out the very best of the trolls from all over the world indecision

SmileySmileySmiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

I like the GT-R, a lot. It offers a lot of performance for little money and the latest version even seems to be reliable.

When I had to decide what daily driver to get, I counted the GT-R in too. AWD, 911 Turbo S performance for under 100k EUR, amazing.

The problem is: I hate how it looks, especially that 90s rear wing. I also hate how it sounds.

I usually don't care much about how a car looks but the design of the GT-R, mostly the rear wing, is a no-go for me. I am 46 years old and while it wouldn't have been a problem at age 25 or even 30, I kind of think I would look stupid in the GT-R, sorry. 

Oh, my wife told me that she would never drive that thing, it looks "embarrassing". This was the end of my GT-R thoughts.

Another problem is the fact that there don't seem to be many GT-R dealers around in Germany and what is even worse, they don't have a showroom car or a test car for that matter.

On the other hand, I also have to admit that each time I see the 100k EUR price tag of a 991 Carrera with only a few options, I remember the GT-R and say to myself: Porsche is really ripping us off. enlightened

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

I like the GT-R, a lot. It offers a lot of performance for little money and the latest version even seems to be reliable.

When I had to decide what daily driver to get, I counted the GT-R in too. AWD, 911 Turbo S performance for under 100k EUR, amazing.

The problem is: I hate how it looks, especially that 90s rear wing. I also hate how it sounds.

I usually don't care much about how a car looks but the design of the GT-R, mostly the rear wing, is a no-go for me. I am 46 years old and while it wouldn't have been a problem at age 25 or even 30, I kind of think I would look stupid in the GT-R, sorry. 

Oh, my wife told me that she would never drive that thing, it looks "embarrassing". This was the end of my GT-R thoughts.

Another problem is the fact that there don't seem to be many GT-R dealers around in Germany and what is even worse, they don't have a showroom car or a test car for that matter.

On the other hand, I also have to admit that each time I see the 100k EUR price tag of a 991 Carrera with only a few options, I remember the GT-R and say to myself: Porsche is really ripping us off. enlightened

Yes, partly true. Although, you get what you pay for. One of, if not the, most involving and exciting sports car ever built... versus... little involvement or driver's feeling. I drove a few laps around the N-ring GP track in one and it was stupidly fast, on the straights and through the curves. Point the nose, bury the throttle and hold on tight. But not much connection to the road or the car. As such not very involving or rewarding for the driver, even if you likely are the quickest around the track.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Meh I am not surprised at all.. the GTR was doomed because it didn't really know its target audience. I feel like it doesn't belong on the track, too heavy and not equipped with the gear (gearbox) and also too big and chunky for public roads. Couple this with a questionable marketing strategy and you get very few sales. While the car and technology development has to be applauded with the AWD system etc.. the car itself just wasn't the whole package to me. It is stupid fast but it just looks silly + it's a Nissan at the end of the day.

If I were to seriously look for a fun sports car with amazing performance/value i'd pick the 2012 Exige S and still walk away with 15k EUR to buy a little 914 for fun tooling and weekend trips to classic shows etc.

fritz:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, more than twice as many 911 variants are sold every year than the 6000 GTRs sold over four years. 

I knew I was being conservative when I implied above that more than 12,000 911s are sold every year, but was still surprised at just how conservative that figure was. 
    Porsche's latest annual report suggests that the highest annual production number for the 911 was 38,959 units built in 2006/7. The latest figure was 27,776 units listed for 2008/9.
    (The production figures are no longer published in the report since Porsche was effectively absorbed by VW in 2009/10).

So Nissan spent what must have been a huge amount of money to develop and tool up for a car which it had to sell relatively cheaply and still did not generate very many sales as compared to its own bench-mark. It's not surprising that Carlos Ghosn has not given the go-ahead for a follow-up model. 

--

fritz

The GT-R is the proverbial "answer to question nobody asked". Who wants a supercar pretender with a Nissan badge?

First, it is in the oriental aesthetic category and immediately it excludes a lot of potential buyers in many markets on the basis of looks alone. It appeals really to those who are fans of the "fast and furious" culture and ex-owners of Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru Impreza rally clones.

Second, it may look cheap compared to Porsche for example, but still expensive for the younger people who are the most likely to be attracted by this machine.

Third, it may very fast at the NBR but only a minuscule proportion of sportsccar owners have access to or care about track driving. 

Fourth, Nissan seem to have cut some corners in the development of the transmission, so a relatively inexpensive car could end up as a huge liability.

Nissan are very good at small and medium cars and tough utility vehicles. This is their strength and their real market and they shouldn't stretch their resources unnecessarily in unknown territories. By comparison, Toyota's GT86 (an affordable back to the roots sports coupe) makes a lot of sense as a Japanese alternative to the European best sellers in the class and in the end it will make money too.

--

"Form follows function"

I think you are being unfair towards the GTR. It might not have the drama of a Ferrari, or the reliability of a Porsche but it offers similar performance at a fraction of the money. Sure, it had some teething problems but most supercars have them anyway. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Everything is proven in the market place. In spite of the spectacular performance figures for the money, buyers have not been convinced. Consequently, there must be reasons, most probably along the lines I outlined above.

--

"Form follows function"

I don't think GTR-sales should be pitched against 911 sales as a whole, compare them to 911 Turbo-sales or GT3-sales if you like. The GTR is a much more focused machine than your regular Carrera thus appeals to a narrow but passionate clientèle.

It's the same case with Porsche's GT3, while it may only account for a small percentage of the 911's sales, it's the model of which the most pictures circulate, the most post are written, etc... Thanks to its small but passionate following.

The car is super UGLY !! I'm even surprised they managed to sell 6k.

You say "small and passionate following", but more GT3s of each of its two 911 generations will have been built and sold profitably than the total number of GTRs sold to date, and I don't think that "small and passionate" will have been what Ghosn had in mind when he initially approved the development of the GTR. 

--

fritz

fritz:

You say "small and passionate following", but more GT3s of each of its two 911 generations will have been built and sold profitably than the total number of GTRs sold to date, and I don't think that "small and passionate" will have been what Ghosn had in mind when he initially approved the development of the GTR. 

--

fritz

I have no clue what sales predictions were for the GTR, but I reckon its existence didn't do any harm to the Nissan-brand. They created a poster-car, which is marketing gold for any brand. Smiley

reginos:

Everything is proven in the market place. In spite of the spectacular performance figures for the money, buyers have not been convinced. Consequently, there must be reasons, most probably along the lines I outlined above.

--

"Form follows function"

If anything, it has all to do with the badge, apperance and image and very little to do with the actual product. Yes, most buyers are of the Fast and the Furious faction and yes, a lot of people that can afford such a car prefer either something more flashy or more elegant. But at the end of the day, a commercially successful product is not neccessarily a good one and vice versa. Point in case: The original Beetle was a horrible car, yet it sold like hot cakes!  

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I don't think the typical buyer of Nissan products cares about the existence of the GT-R at all. I'm sure that no Micra or Qashqai owner has been influenced in her buying decision even to a small degree.

At the same time, judging by the numbers produced as above, the model hasn't touched the hearts and wallets of enthusiasts either.

From my point of view a lose-lose situation commercially.  It was good experience for the engineers who worked on the project, in spite of the fact that they didn't get the transmission totally right.

--

"Form follows function"

REALZEUS:
     Point in case: The original Beetle was a horrible car, yet it sold like hot cakes!  

Different priorities then. A car had to keep going and at low cost, at a time when most cars overheated or broke down.

The Beetle kept going on and on. There are still plenty around in warmer climates where rust is not a problem.Driving pleasure was out of the equation for the average person lucky to own a car in those days.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I don't think the typical buyer of Nissan products cares about the existence of the GT-R at all. I'm sure that no Micra or Qashqai owner has been influenced in her buying decision even to a small degree.

--

"Form follows function"

Ouch! A mate of mine who owns both a Micra and a Qashqai won't like this! Smiley Truth be told, the existence of the GTR did not influence his decision making process. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

reginos:
    REALZEUS:
     Point in case: The original Beetle was a horrible car, yet it sold like hot cakes!  

Different priorities then. A car had to keep going and at low cost, at a time when most cars overheated or broke down.

The Beetle kept going on and on. There are still plenty around in warmer climates where rust is not a problem.Driving pleasure was out of the equation for the average person lucky to own a car in those days.

Well yes, but it was downright dangerous! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

Ouch! A mate of mine who owns both a Micra and a Qashqai won't like this! Smiley Truth be told, the existence of the GTR did not influence his decision making process. Smiley

Oops angry

--

"Form follows function"

In regards to membership and postings on RT, this thread is an example of what I was talking about, not many GTR owners are likely to want to join.

GTR wasnt intended to match sales numbers with the 911. It's just a Halo car for brand promotion and marketing.

IMO, this is exactly what the GTR does not transport - promotion for the brand and marketing...Again, IMO, the GTR is a hell of a car, but would I swap the GTR for my base 997 ? No, I wouldn't, because I would trust the GTR to give me a bit of fun at a trackday on Sunday and drive me to the office on Monday. Further and again, my car is plain stock (ok, the stripes are not...), but venturing through some GTR forums, there is and was always the talk of changing this and that, more than I have seen so far for P-forums. And, finally, I live in a city with a seemingly high number of sportcars around and...no GTR dealer within an hour's drive...for me, the GTR is a sad story, Nissan could have done better to give it a real face / attitude...my 2cts...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689536 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409215 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255732 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234985 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774019 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM