Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Only 6000 Nissan GTRs sold to date

dreamcar:
    nberry:

The Boxster is an excellent car but it suffers from an image problem.

I couldn't care less about the car's perceived image or what anybody else thinks. I buy a car for my needs, not theirs.

I wonder why customers are trading Aston Martin V8 Vantages and in one case a Ferrari California for the new Boxster?

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Financial reasons? 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

bluelines:

To be fair, then I would compare it to the 911 Carrera cabriolet which is GBP 79.9 rather than the coupe. The Boxster comes with a foldable soft-top as standard, the 911 not.

The price difference between the 911 and the Boxster is both genius and ridiculous at the same time. A majority of the components are shared between the cars, including the engine and the gearbox. It does not cost more to build a 991 than a 981.

You´re right, that makes the difference even more outstanding. Guess Porsche does not have many possibilities since the Boxster still competes more with the Z4 or SLK and therefore has to keep a somewhat humble pricetag, at least in standard spec. You are totally correct that the difference becomes even more outrageous if you compare the respective convertible model with it.

The 991, apart from its different classification, seems to be significantly more expensive if one chooses the attractive options on it. Have to agree with Fritz though that it is a very clever marketing and business move on Porsche´s side...

Ferdie:
    What they do mention though that the rigidity of the Boxster does not necessarily leave any need for improvement.

I would agree with that based on personal experience. The lower centre of gravity should reduce body roll too.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Ferdie:
    Guess Porsche does not have many possibilities since the Boxster still competes more with the Z4 or SLK and therefore has to keep a somewhat humble pricetag...

I think you are spot on with that assessment.

The price difference is probably set by the market segment rather than Porsche's marketing department. The 911 has always had a sportscar premium and that explains the big difference, even if the 911 and Boxster models are very similar today.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

REALZEUS:

Preferences mate. I have had al fresko motoring from E-Type Jags to the Commander post of our MBTs. Good for the sheer fun but when you are really gunning for it, I prefer a closed cockpit.  Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Absolutely, one man's meat is another's poison and all that. But as I buy a sports car for fun open top is great, to be fair I enjoy the fixed head coupe refinement of our 997, it's nothing like as claustrophobic as the Cayman was and comfort is in a different league, as is performance, together with that wonderful 911 bark from the exhausts. For us the Cayman was a big mistake, the 997S is a thousand times better. 

---

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Ferdie:

I guess any motorcycle rider would laugh about the concerns we have here. Smiley

Or SUV drivers for that matter Smiley ( stunt starts at 1:03 )

I am not aware of any similar stunt with an open sportscar on the Nordschleife (low center of gravity etc...) though I spotted the wreck of a HondaS 2000 after rolling over a week ago in the Eifel (accident happened on public road though). The car looked very bad with "folded" windscreen, bent roll over bars and still driver and passenger walked away with minor bruises.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

We started with a Nissan product, but this thread has picked up some steam! Quite interesting. Thanks.  wink

REALZEUS:
    dreamcar:
    nberry:

I couldn't care less about the car's perceived image or what anybody else thinks. I buy a car for my needs, not theirs.

I wonder why customers are trading Aston Martin V8 Vantages and in one case a Ferrari California for the new Boxster?

--

Financial reasons? 

Might just be because 981 Boxster S is the best real world sports car out there right now.....smiley

--

dreamcar:
    nberry:

Smiley +1

True car lovers don't buy cars for conspicuous consumption but for their own pleasure and satisfaction.

The Boxster is a top car in terms of performance and handling and very affordable to purchase and maintain. Its real world ground covering abilty is more than enough for 95% of the drivers at 99% of the time.

The Cayman is a very good coupe but I don't like the fact that it can get very noisy and  boomy inside compared to the Boxster. It feels also more cramped although I believe the dimensions don't differ. The price difference is negligible as is the added HP, compared to the Boxster.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The Cayman is a very good coupe but I don't like the fact that it can get very noisy and  boomy inside compared to the Boxster. 

perhaps the 981 Cayman will not have this 'feature'

I hope they correct it. However, this is a consequence of the fact that the engine is "inside" the cabin because of the hatchback design. They should fit a vertical window (electrically moving) separating the cabin from the luggage area.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I hope they correct it. However, this is a consequence of the fact that the engine is "inside" the cabin because of the hatchback design. They should fit a vertical window (electrically moving) separating the cabin from the luggage area.

In roof up mode, Boxster also has engine "inside" the cabin ..

In the Boxster part of the engine is outside the cabin under the clamp. Besides, I think that the soft top absorbs some of the noise. The large hatchback of the Cayman acts as a kind of bell-chamber.

--

"Form follows function"

The 996 used to suffer from this booming also - 997 doesn't. (although I assumed that was partly due to PASM)

--

C2S - Basalt/Black XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

The 996 used to suffer from this booming also - 997 doesn't. (although I assumed that was partly due to PASM)

PASM 

--

Yes - the boom I used to tire of was suspension rebound on rubbish roads (my 996C4S was lowered 10mm I think) to the point where I would avoid using it some days to avoid a headache! (a bit like having the sunroof open without the window being ajar) It's almost completely absent in the 997 - except when using sport mode.

--

bridggar:

Yes - the boom I used to tire of was suspension rebound on rubbish roads (my 996C4S was lowered 10mm I think) to the point where I would avoid using it some days to avoid a headache! (a bit like having the sunroof open without the window being ajar) It's almost completely absent in the 997 - except when using sport mode.

Are you saying it was lowered 10mm after delivery from the factory? Smiley

If so, then surely it wouldn't be possible to make the blanket statement relating to booming noises in 996s generally that your previous post implied, because the car was no longer stock? Smiley

--

fritz

bridggar:

Well I learned something new, mistakenly I thought PASM was first introduced with 987/ 997

--

fritz:

bridggar:

If so, then surely it wouldn't be possible to make the blanket statement relating to booming noises in 996s generally that your previous post implied, because the car was no longer stock? Smiley

I thnk he was refering to the 996C4S being 10mm "lower" than the standard 996Carrera since ir had the Turbo's suspension
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    fritz:

bridggar:

I thnk he was refering to the 996C4S being 10mm "lower" than the standard 996Carrera since ir had the Turbo's suspension

I thought that too, which is why I asked for confirmation. The wording "my 996C4S was lowered 10mm I think" could be understood both ways and whilst I don't remember ever driving a C4S I also don't remember any notable booming from the rear axle of a 996 Turbo, for example.   Smiley

--

fritz

Me neither, and I had a 996C4 with the M030 -10mm suspension kit.

--

It was standard C4S (which had 10mm lower sport suspension than standard car in UK).

--

Back to topic smiley

Just 6.000 GTRs in 4 years...

I just found out that Audi made just 20.000 R8 in 6 years:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R8

Also, not very much compared to the 911.

Auto-Bild wrote last week - that the sales of the R8 in Germany are very low, despite all the new versions.

Blueflame

Nissan GT-R successor confirmed for 2018

Even though some sources indicated a while ago that there won’t be a next-gen GT-R, Edmunds has obtained some precious info after a visit to Nissan’s R&D center in Atsugi, saying that a new GT-R is due in 2018.

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/gt-r/next-generation-nissan-gt-r-on-track-for-2018.html

That should keep Porsche on its toes and will feel threatened by the GTR and its ring time indecision

BiTurbo:

That should keep Porsche on its toes and will feel threatened by the GTR and its ring time indecision

Now Porsche knows that it has until 2017 to react. Smiley

--

fritz

BiTurbo:

Yes, I am sure they are shivering with fear in Zuffenhausen now Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763229 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435781 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260733 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257719 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872666 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808149 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM