Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A sad day for my PTS

Unfortunately yesterday a young lad ploughed into the side of my new PTS (2000 kms, 5 wks old) having skipped a red light. No chance to react. I had taken the day off and purposefully was driving around 2pm to avoid traffic on a visit to a shop. It just goes to show things like this can happen any time. For 15 yrs never had an accident even with some very high speed autobahn driving.

Luckily no-one hurt but his car was totalled. To be honest I didn't immediately realise what hat happened since my car hardly moved. 

Now the problem is that when the car is repaired I will always have a feeling of driving a accident repaired car. I'm hoping the insurance company might give me a new car but I guess its not likely.

Here are some pics. Porsche FFM puts repairs anything from 40k+ -> my concern is if the drivetrain has been damaged will find out next week.

20120713_150616.jpg20120713_150806.jpg20120713_150542.jpg

--

Kabir Khaleque

Panamera Turbo S (black/biege PCCB Burmester)

Re: A sad day for my PTS

Really sorry about your misfortune kabir, to such a magnificent new car, from your photographs the damage is hopefully not too serious and repair will be to "as factory built" standard. Smiley

But I know how you feel, the car isn't "virgin" any more. We had an unfortunate incident not long after we had our first Boxster, and whilst it was only a door panel somehow it just didn't feel the same, even though it was of course.  Smiley

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

So sorry to hear about this accident with your brand new car. surprise

I can imagine how you feel, even if the PTS will be rebuild as perfect as possible, you'll always think that you are driving a repaired car. Feeling very sorry for you.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I hope the young man had insurance 

thanks all for your positive comments. The chap luckily does have insurance under his parents name and I rang the insurance to confirm and they acknowledged it would be all covered. Since my insurance is the same company Allianz, they are going to look to spend the minimum.

Thankfully the chap behind me stopped to give me his business card, saying that the lights were green for me. He will be witness and as luck would have it just happens to work as an engineer for the TUV!

I am mainly concerned about the initial impact on the front since it was directly on the wheel. The engine seems fine but the PDCC fault light was on. I'm hoping there is no drive train damage, so basically 2 wheels, numerous body panels and probably the air suspension.

--

Kabir Khaleque

:( I am SO sorry! :(

The only good part is that the car will be as new if the chassis was not damaged...
    --

There is no try. Just do.

That's terrible luck with a brand new car..no 

Two positives though in that no one was injured and you have a great witness if claims, as they can, become more complicated as time goes on...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Looks like external panels mostly. PDCC? Most probably a sensor.

It is always tricky with this type of damage because it is too little to total the car from the insurance point of view, but for the owner it is always too much especially for a brand new car. But this is mostly psychological the car will be fine and as good as new given the type of impact.

Nevertheless , I doubt I would show self restraint with the other driver enlightened

--

"Form follows function"

from the look of it, the drivetrain should not have been impacted. it takes quite a bit of force to bend the chassis.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Kabir, I really feel with you. Such a new car and now damaged that much. Smiley
    But you have a perfect witness and nobody was injured. I hope the whole accident processing is at least easily and I wish you all the best.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:

Kabir, I really feel with you. Such a new car and now damaged that much. Smiley
    But you have a perfect witness and nobody was injured. I hope the whole accident processing is at least easily and I wish you all the best.

+1

Heartbreaking.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Is the car leased? If so you may be protected against depreciation as a result of an accident.

--

Thanks again for the comments. Car is not leased but it is my company car since i am freelance

So the drop in residual value when it comes to sell should be offset.

--

Kabir Khaleque

I'm sorry to hear that.
    Strange, that your car has, beside the front, also been hit at the rear. Also, the dent at that rear is on a relatively high position

Sad to hear,

but you seem to be fine and that´s the most important thing. Isn´t the car covered against devaluation due to damage within the first period of ownership? From my understanding, you can reimburse the value of a new car within the first one to two thousand kilometers.

Two cars touched on the Autobahn right in front of me because one of the decided to change lanes without looking or indicating his intentions. Some friends were surprised that I called the Police afterwards to state the innocence of the second driver involved. It is something I would never question, I have had witnesses in these circumstances as well and have been very thankful for that.

Really sorry! Wish your car is well repaired and drives as new. I would be comfortable with the job being done in a German PZ, the best option.

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel

Sorry to hear and hopefully things work out to your satisfaction.

Wow very sorry for you mate, that after just 5 weeks. I hope you get it all repaired and are feeling ok afterwards.

Goes to show how quick accidents happen.. Also compare the damage! Wow the Panamera is solid... other car totalled and the Astra is probably just 10 years or so old. Looking at the difference, that was a big incident. Glad everyone is ok, that is the most important.

Oh boy, I feel so sorry for you, you can't even imagine. Smiley Luckily, you are OK and this is what matters most.

Not sure if this is weather (weird) related or people just can't drive anymore but I had two near-hit situations over the past couple of days too, only my immediate reaction avoided them: One woman driving on the right lane (which was for turning to the right only) and she just drove straight ahead, almost crashing into me (I had to suddenly move to the far left lane because she was close to hitting me...luckily there was nobody on the far left lane). Then, a guy who just took my priority, I was driving straight and he made a turn to the right and instead stopping, I had priority, he just drove on I had to make a full stop to avoid hidding him...from 60 kph. Idiot. Smiley

Your photos made me almost cry, such stupid people out there, they just don't care. For them, a car is just another piece of metal, they don't understand the emotional value behind a Porsche and especially the waiting time, payment, etc. etc. etc. Everything is special about such a car, which makes an accident even more horrible.Smiley

Just try to see the good thing in it: You weren't hurt.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

nberry:

Is the car leased? If so you may be protected against depreciation as a result of an accident.

Depreciation is always protected over here in Germany, no matter if the car has been leased or bought. Some lease companies even offer an additional insurance (at some minor or no additional cost) against possible depreciation loss, in case the owner has a residual value contract (stupid) and not a contract based on mileage.

The culprit (actually his insurance) has usually to pay for the depreciation.

My insurance even pays for two years the cost of a brandnew car if the car is totaled (even by me) or stolen.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Not here in the UK! If your car is totalled here, even if you have so-called "Comprehensive" cover ( which means damage to your own car is covered by insurance if the accident was your own fault) insurance only pays "trade" value. You have the option to purchase separate "Gap" cover which pays out the difference between insurance trade valuation and invoice price when car purchased. 

--

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

dreamcar:

You have the option to purchase separate "Gap" cover which pays out the difference between insurance trade valuation and invoice price when car purchased. 

So this is the same thing...I pay more for getting this coverage but on a 200k EUR car, it would be plain stupid to go for the cheaper insurance plan. Smiley

--

RC:
    dreamcar:

You have the option to purchase separate "Gap" cover which pays out the difference between insurance trade valuation and invoice price when car purchased. 

So this is the same thing...I pay more for getting this coverage but on a 200k EUR car, it would be plain stupid to go for the cheaper insurance plan. Smiley

Yes, it was just where you said "depreciation is always protected" I assumed you meant that it was automatically included, rather than optional as it is here. I agree, always sensible to have it for peace of mind, essential on a 911 where a rear end shunt would probably mean game over.  I have this cover even on my Clockwork Rat. 

--

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. Just thankful that you were not hurt.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

I have always purchased gap insurance on my financed or leased cars. Fortunately, I have not had to use it. It's great protection against the step depreciation of the car's value.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

RC:

(...) Not sure if this is weather (weird) related or people just can't drive anymore (...)

People are definitely driving less focused -- my brother's theory (he's also a pharmacist): more and more people taking sedatives (at least at his pharmacy the demand is strongly increasing over the last 2-3 yrs).

@kabir: sorry to hear!

Ferdie:

Sad to hear,

but you seem to be fine and that´s the most important thing. Isn´t the car covered against devaluation due to damage within the first period of ownership? From my understanding, you can reimburse the value of a new car within the first one to two thousand kilometers.

If you want the money from the other insurance, after German-law (courts) the car has to be younger than one month and less than 1.000 Km. Under these circumstances you will have the right for a new car.

In case of a repair you will get the devaluation-money from the other insurance.

Other story - You could use your own insurance (Vollkasko/full damage waiver)  to get an new car - but in this case you have to pay higher insurance bills the following years. But, you have the chance to get this money back from the other insurance.

Please take a good lawyer...even if it´s the same insurance-company in your case - they are not your friend...Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

He doesn't really need a lawyer...yet. Since he is at Allianz too and I suppose he has other insurance contracts with them too, he can bargain and put them under pressure (I did that a couple of times in non-car related cases and it worked as planned...without a lawyer).

--

dreamcar:
    Yes, it was just where you said "depreciation is always protected" I assumed you meant that it was automatically included, rather than optional as it is here. I agree, always sensible to have it for peace of mind, essential on a 911 where a rear end shunt would probably mean game over.  I have this cover even on my Clockwork Rat. 

Depreciation in case of an accident is always protected over here, it is the law. 

What insurances offer for additional money is: They pay for a brand new car for a period of two years if the car is totaled or stolen.

Also lease companies offer a protection from depreciation of value.

--

RC:

He doesn't really need a lawyer...yet. Since he is at Allianz too and I suppose he has other insurance contracts with them too, he can bargain and put them under pressure (I did that a couple of times in non-car related cases and it worked as planned...without a lawyer).

--

I have a Allianz-Agency by myself - take a good Lawyer... Smiley

Stressfree-business, it´s not just the damage on the car - also the rentalcar and so on.

Good luck

Blueflame Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM