Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Anyone regret getting the 997S?

Khalid, I think I understand your perspective, and I believe I have a simple cure for your "Porsche blues": Take it to a track.
    It's that simple. The 997s is an amazing car and among the absolute best in the world when it comes to handling. Trouble is you will only get the "whoohoo, I'm sitting in my Porsche"-feeling and not the "Yeeeeehaaw! Now I know what they are talking about"-feeling if you only use the car for everyday commutes and practical needs.
    I'm guessing you floor it once in a while, but it is NOWHERE near the same ballpark as taking the car to a track and letting it stretch out.

I had my Boxey for 9 months before tracking it, and the first thing I asked myself after the initial hour on the track was "why the heck didn't I do this sooner???".

A trackday paints a thousand words, so if you haven't already done so, and if you wanna know why there indeed IS no substitute, find yourself a trackday.
    You can thank me later

And regarding Mr. Troll par excellence:
    Nick's specialty is divorce law and pushing people's Porsche buttons.
    In fact, he is a champion. If you let him he will be thrilled.

I've been with Rennteam for a little over a year now, and I have never seen a post from Nick where the theme isn't somehow twisted into "P's suck, F's rock". It's a way of life.
    And in a sick way I find that very entertaining

It's also entertaining that Nick - according to his own post on the F board - has quality issues with his F430...after less than what..500 miles on the street? He has a gorgeous car whose biggest advantage is its ability to maintain its value...if you dont drive it. Not exactly what I would categorize as automotive enthusiasm, but we're all different.

It's kinda like dating [insert name of the woman of your wet dreams here] and opting not to get intimate with her, because you're afraid she will mess up your hair.
    Making money is nice, but if it's not put to use and if you don't turn it into something that makes you happy...it's just money...and whats the fun in that?

I'd love to see a trackday drive report from both Nick and Khalid.
    Sportscars are made for driving. Not storage.

Read more philosophical psycho-babble at www.drphil.com

Dr. Phil keep your day job and not try to be an analysis. My car is three month old and I have 2000 miles on it. That right 3 zero's.

Khalid it is very understandable how you feel. Nothing special about Porsche's other than good perf. Yesterday I heard a story from a very relaible source about a man who walked into a Porsche dealership which had on its floor a 997, 997S, a couple of Cayman's and Boxster's.

He asked the salesman why they did not have a Cayman displayed and only Carrera's. Now you know why you feel as you do.

Correct spelling: analyst.
    Let me guess, because their mid-engine like the F-car. Different price point. Most buyers would likely prefer the 911.
    Three zeros. Is that for your next customer pay, required service?
    Anyway, nice car; color

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Your points are being felt by many Porsche buyer's. For an example, regarding design being evolutionary, why would someone spend over $100,000 for a car that looks very similar to a 10 year old model and most people cannot distinguish?

Regarding exclusivity, because Porsche has been churning out look alike models Boxster, Cayman, 997, 997S, 997 GT3, 997TT which resemble 996 models they literally dot the landscape. In S. Calf. I see more Porsche's than Corvette, honda 2000 or even Miata's.

The S is a terrific performing car but how often does one have an opportunity to really enjoy what the car can do? Anticipating that some will say well what about Ferrari my reponse is simply drive one and see how even at the speed limit the Ferrari is so special in sound, sexiness and sensual feel that it is worth every penny. To enjoy a Porsche you must drive it at the limit.

Finally, regarding that a Porsche is good car for daily use I find that point hilarious. Why drive a sport car to work or shopping? It is impractical and useless. The only people that drive there Porsche's to work or shopping are those that cannot afford another car or they want to be seen in a Porsche. I drive a MiniCooper everyday and love it.

Nick, Nick, Nick. What the hell planet are you from??
    Regarding people not being able to distinguish Porsche models, some folks thought the new Z06 was a Ferrari when it came out. Ouch!! People confusing vehicles when one costs three times as much(not to even mention kissing the dealer's a** to get one).

How does one enjoy a C2S you ask Nick, well you have to DRIVE it. I'm sure you could probably find some course to learn how to operate a manual(or old ladies here in Detroit could teach you).

Why drive a sports car to work or shopping? I ask why the F*** not? Driving a Porsche daily is like getting laid every day. Why not? I feel sorry for you Nick if you're one of those guys who rarely gets some. Sorry, but an Enzo won't make up for that.

Remember for those who HATE Porsche, hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. Figure it out..

Ah I found it! If you need to drive a Porsche to work daily to get your "jollies off" I suggest you go back into counseling. It is a car and driving a sport car on Detroit streets is like a driving a Lear jet in a tractor pull stadium. Comical and fun to watch.

I do not hate Porsche nor am I indifferent to them. I believe passionately the company can do a lot better for its customers and anything I can do to foster that betterment is my way of helping delusional Porschephiles. Consider it as my pro bono work.

BTw I hope your wife is more demanding of you in bed given you are shifting gears and H&T during the "process".

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Your points are being felt by many Porsche buyer's. For an example, regarding design being evolutionary, why would someone spend over $100,000 for a car that looks very similar to a 10 year old model and most people cannot distinguish?

Regarding exclusivity, because Porsche has been churning out look alike models Boxster, Cayman, 997, 997S, 997 GT3, 997TT which resemble 996 models they literally dot the landscape. In S. Calf. I see more Porsche's than Corvette, honda 2000 or even Miata's.

The S is a terrific performing car but how often does one have an opportunity to really enjoy what the car can do? Anticipating that some will say well what about Ferrari my reponse is simply drive one and see how even at the speed limit the Ferrari is so special in sound, sexiness and sensual feel that it is worth every penny. To enjoy a Porsche you must drive it at the limit.

Finally, regarding that a Porsche is good car for daily use I find that point hilarious. Why drive a sport car to work or shopping? It is impractical and useless. The only people that drive there Porsche's to work or shopping are those that cannot afford another car or they want to be seen in a Porsche. I drive a MiniCooper everyday and love it.

Nick, Nick, Nick. What the hell planet are you from??
    Regarding people not being able to distinguish Porsche models, some folks thought the new Z06 was a Ferrari when it came out. Ouch!! People confusing vehicles when one costs three times as much(not to even mention kissing the dealer's a** to get one).

How does one enjoy a C2S you ask Nick, well you have to DRIVE it. I'm sure you could probably find some course to learn how to operate a manual(or old ladies here in Detroit could teach you).

Why drive a sports car to work or shopping? I ask why the F*** not? Driving a Porsche daily is like getting laid every day. Why not? I feel sorry for you Nick if you're one of those guys who rarely gets some. Sorry, but an Enzo won't make up for that.

Remember for those who HATE Porsche, hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. Figure it out..

Ah I found it! If you need to drive a Porsche to work daily to get your "jollies off" I suggest you go back into counseling. It is a car and driving a sport car on Detroit streets is like a driving a Lear jet in a tractor pull stadium. Comical and fun to watch.

I do not hate Porsche nor am I indifferent to them. I believe passionately the company can do a lot better for its customers and anything I can do to foster that betterment is my way of helping delusional Porschephiles. Consider it as my pro bono work.

BTw I hope your wife is more demanding of you in bed given you are shifting gears and H&T during the "process".

BTW, Nick my 997 will have the Tip. Speaking of my wife, she's far more exotic than that Ferrari of yours!!

khalidaij It sounds like you really like your car, but you are, after spending a huge pile of money, upset that other rich people in your neck of the woods love the same $$$ cars you do. There are very few expensive production cars that can not be found in large numbers in regions of money. I just came back from South Beach in FL and it was not how many Porsches, Ferraries, Lambos, M3s, NSXs, Maseratis, and Astons I saw, but it was what color do you want to see. I think an exclusive car in that circle would have been a YUGO...cool, retro, and rare. The other way to approach this problem is move. In the back woods of West Virginnia I am sure you will never see your car driven by anybody but you. Nobody would respect such a pussy car as a Porsche or Ferrari. TRUCKS are king. Nobody there wants one of those silly cars that cannot haul a couple dozen cases of beer. When you move to WV you will realize that trucks get all the attention. You will be down to your Chevy dealer and get you one of those rock solid pickem up trucks...you will be in hog heaven. What kinda chew you like?

That at boy! Now go and get her flowers and share a nice bottle wine. She is a hell of a lot more than any sport car, even it is a Porsche.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Yesterday I heard a story from a very relaible source about a man who walked into a Porsche dealership which had on its floor a 997, 997S, a couple of Cayman's and Boxster's.

He asked the salesman why they did not have a Cayman displayed and only Carrera's. Now you know why you feel as you do.

The theme of your story is that the guy is ignorant and that's why he can't tell a Carrera from a Cayman. That's all.

I was once wandering around a Porsche showroom and a guy next to me talked to the saleperson regarding the 996 coupe in the showroom. He said, "open the front hood." The saleperson ask nicely, "for what reason?". The ignorant guy said, "I want to take a look at the engine." I can't stop laughing for the longest time.

Quote:
    stork said:
    khalidaij It sounds like you really like your car, but you are, after spending a huge pile of money, upset that other rich people in your neck of the woods love the same $$$ cars you do. There are very few expensive production cars that can not be found in large numbers in regions of money. I just came back from South Beach in FL and it was not how many Porsches, Ferraries, Lambos, M3s, NSXs, Maseratis, and Astons I saw, but it was what color do you want to see. I think an exclusive car in that circle would have been a YUGO...cool, retro, and rare. The other way to approach this problem is move. In the back woods of West Virginnia I am sure you will never see your car driven by anybody but you. Nobody would respect such a pussy car as a Porsche or Ferrari. TRUCKS are king. Nobody there wants one of those silly cars that cannot haul a couple dozen cases of beer. When you move to WV you will realize that trucks get all the attention. You will be down to your Chevy dealer and get you one of those rock solid pickem up trucks...you will be in hog heaven. What kinda chew you like?

Hey Stork Dont knock West Virginia Its your Ohio that is at the slack end of the DNA Gene Pool. Name another state besides OHIO that would invest MILLIONS of its state pension funds in COMMEMORATIVE PLATES from the QVC channel! And then have them actually embezzled but Ohio! -- Ohio? Give me a break! Its the national ground zero for hicks who drive into ditchs.

U sayin West Virginins are igorant?

The state has only ONE Starbucks and the lowest sales for the stupidist consumer ripoff of all time - bottled water.

The govenor, Jay Rockefeller, is too rich to be bribed, and best of all-- the state has no fat women in minivans trying to park while talking on cell phones. Why? Cell phones havent been invented in West Virginia yet.

Now do u want a Ford or a Chevy? Wich lift kit ya want now Jethro

And yes, there are Porsches in West Virginia

Who told you I drove into a ditch? Thank God for my good ole boy friends with big ole pick up trucks to haul me out of those ditches. Those guys rule!!!

So Nick's back busting balls again on a Porsche 911 (997) board. I wonder if he spends time on other car boards busting balls using his Ferrari as ammo? He seems to spend more time busting balls than driving his Ferrari.

BTW, has anyone seen or know Nick? I'm imagining him to be a never married, short, balding, generally unattractive male. In any case, a disgrace to Ferrari owners.

David, chill! Nick is a good guy who happens to have a wicked sense of humor. Anyway its pretty hard to disgrace Ferrari owners. He owns a defective Cayenne, so how much more do you want to make him suffer?

Yes, I also bit into Nick bad when I first came in to contact with him. I gave him my sister's line of "people who drive a Ferrari have small dicks quote". That was wrong of me; I actually look for his comments now. In the end I have come to realize he is a great baiter of responses. Actually I think we can all agree that Nick is a master baiter! Any time he opens his mouth; everybody jumps up and screams bloody murder. It is great and the slams back and forth are tons of fun! In the end the 911 is a classic and the car that every other car is compared against. And I take Nick's constant attention to the 911 with pride. The next time I see a mini cooper I will give a flash and a wink because I know that there goes guy with a Ferrari in his garage...wow that's so rare!

I wish I had a time machine for Nick. If I did, I would send him back to December 1964, address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, to question LBJ and Robert S McNamara about their sanity.

Quote:
    nberry said:The S is a terrific performing car but how often does one have an opportunity to really enjoy what the car can do? Anticipating that some will say well what about Ferrari my reponse is simply drive one and see how even at the speed limit the Ferrari is so special in sound, sexiness and sensual feel that it is worth every penny. To enjoy a Porsche you must drive it at the limit.

Given that logic, only the world's best drivers could enjoy a 911, while any moron could enjoy a Ferrari. Clearly a ridiculous statement.

What is impractical and useless is getting a great sportscar and NOT being able to drive it everyday. Nick, your post doesn't make any sense. If the Ferrari is so special because it's so sexy and sounds so great even in the parking lot at the mall, then why not drive it everyday? If the Porsche can only be enjoyed "at the limit", then it is the car that should only be driven under very special circumstances. In fact, Porsches are enjoyed everyday year round in all kinds of climates, and on the track, while Ferrari's are the cars that are impractical to drive. A very lame attempt at rationalizing this one Nick. Not up to par.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    A very lame attempt at rationalizing this one Nick.

What's new..

I deeply regret getting an "early" 997. This is due mainly to the introduction of X51 and my exterior color selection (my first AS Porsche). I wish I had waited a couple of extra months before replacing the 996. I'm definitely dumping the 997 this year if I end up staying in Florida. I'm in the list for one of the early 997 TTs. I'm not so sure that I will be taking delivery. I'm fed up with Porsche's marketing strategies, I wish I could have options such as PDK right away. I am fairly certain I will be purchasing an Italian horse instead...

Don't regret it for a minute!

I've been ignoring this thread, and I'm not about to read the whole thing now. But I find that last quote from Nick to be absolute nonsense. Any time somebody tosses this obscenely lame notion that you never "use power" or "use performance" on a daily basis, it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with some people. Performance isn't an all-or-nothing deal, it's not a light switch. Your gas pedal doesn't have two settings, throttle-closed and throttle-open. Driving is an extension of your body, an extension of you. If you can make that connection, and find athleticism in much the same way you do yourself, then the enjoyment comes in all manners, speeds and movements. The pleasure isn't just what the car can do all-out, but how easily it can do anything across the spectrum. I get a feeling of FREEDOM when I drive a car that has herculean ability, regardless of what conditions I'm faced with. You've got to find your fun within the context of where you're driving. If you can't do that, well, I just feel sorry for you.

Why drive a 997 every day, or every other day, or every other week?? Because it's FUN!!! How is it not practical? The car is as mild-mannered, smooth and effortless around town as a Honda Accord. Visibility is great, economy is great, there's just not alot of compromise at all other than inability to haul a bunch of passengers or cargo. Well, that's why I own a damn truck. That's the frustrating thing, is that anybody who can afford a $90K Porsche can easily afford to have a practical second vehicle in the driveway for such days when one is needed. I split time between my people/cargo hauler and my 997 almost 50/50, so I get the best of both worlds.

And Nick, somehow, some way, I manage to have ape-loads of fun driving my car to the grocery, driving to the gym, and just zipping back & forth to work through the countryside, and then bombing down the interstate. I find all sorts of opportunities to get a grin, grins that I wouldn't get driving my truck, grins that I certainly would not get driving a stone-plug-slow cutie-pie-cartoon-car Mini. The WHOLE POINT of driving a sports car as a daily-bomber is the ESCAPE aspect, the whole decompression-mode that everyone needs after a hard day's work, or the "start the day with a smile" aspect driving to work. We're talking cathartic stuff here, soul cleansing, stress relieving. If you can't find enough space on the road, or find enough little morsels of glee, between work and home, to enjoy and get a kick out of a car like the 997, well, you either have two left feet, or you've been so hypnotized by the noises and smells of your Ferrari that you just dawdle down the road in a state of trance.

There's alot of fun to be had out there, when you've got a capable machine under your a$$. And you don't really have to endanger anybody, or speed excessively, or act like a maniac. You've just gotta have the ability to lose yourself within the machine, become one with it, and flex it's muscles and feel it's effortless ability. It's the best way I've found to leave the office with a headache and a bad attitude, and pull in the driveway with a smile and a great attitude. That's why I love driving my 997S. So, "why drive a sports car to work or shopping"??? I think that's so obvious it's silly to have to answer.

I think the real question is, "WHY NOT"?? Why not have fun in life, instead of being absurdly practical and boring just because all the other folks crammed on the road and in the parking lots with you are saddled with the same miserable baggage, having to drive something "practical" because they have no other choice in their life and circumstance. Why aspire to wealth and success, only to live every day down in the "practical" trenches??

I love my truck for the tool it is. But after awhile, I begin to hate the boredome of it all, and into the Porsche I dive. I highly recommend the 2-vehicle solution to anyone here with kids and hauling needs. If you can afford a 997, you can do it.

Boss -

I'd say your finest post yet. Go write a book, then sign my copy.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Boss -

I'd say your finest post yet. Go write a book, then sign my copy.

Bossman,

Yeah, excellent- so true! Either you get it or you don't! I believe most Porsche lovers( and most sports car lovers) "get it."

Boss, can I have this post framed and signed?

Spot on

Regrets???? I've had a few... Not with the car... Wanting more is more like it....

I've considered the BMW 6-series, AMV8 and the M5. But after two weeks of ownership, I don't have a shred of regret about the C2S.

I'm appreciating the 997 a bit more everyday (even with a Tip). And for US $100,000, its the best bargain around.

The F430 is fantastic, but $200,000 is a lot of money for the Ferrari brand. I'd pay $140,000 for an F430, but anything above is robbery, imho.

Bossnine you are SSSOOOOOOOOOO right!! Plus Porsche has less side effects than Prozac!!

why not, the next time that nberry makes a post,
    NOONE replies???????????????

After a point he will be forced to move back to the pathetic F-car board.......

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    If you can't find enough space on the road, or find enough little morsels of glee, between work and home, to enjoy and get a kick out of a car like the 997, well, you either have two left feet, or you've been so hypnotized by the noises and smells of your Ferrari that you just dawdle down the road in a state of trance.

Good stuff boss.

I've changed my route to and from work since I bought my cab. Sometimes it takes about 15 min longer to get home and more like 30 min when I drop the top! Top down allows for 60% more morsels to whip through my hair!

BTW, I thought I'd do the 997/F150 thing too until I saw the truck just sit there for two months. I just cram the kids in the back of the Porsche.

No response from Nick.

Finally.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    No response from Nick.

Finally.

Maybe he has reached his ball busting quota for the month?

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    No response from Nick.

Finally.

Maybe he has reached his ball busting quota for the month?

He's out sharing a coffee with his soulmate-- the angry Corvette lady from the parking thread...the jumbo door dinger.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760454 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434247 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259946 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257090 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80719 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871151 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806293 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM