Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Parking - How do you park your baby?

For me, I like to park as far away from civilization as possible . This usually means a space on the corner where there is only one door that is exposed to the dangers of other parkers.

At night, in my part of the world it's completely feasible to leave the car in a dimly lit or even deserted corner - as there are virtually no safety / crime concerns.

It's unbelievable how many times I am have seen either a careless driver or passenger / kid who hastily and carlessly opens their door to leave a noticeable dent on a typically expensive unsuspecting car. It makes me absolutely furious.

Once, I left my Cayenne outside a restaurant where there clearly was no room for anything other than a motorbike in the 2nd space. When I returned back I was moritifed to see a van had parked half on the pavement / and half in the vacant space....The first thing that came to my mind was 'he hit me'....Sure enough, there was a paint nick and dent in my passenger door.

Naturally, I was absolutely livid - and for the first time in my life proceeded to kick the van's door vigorously - followed by letting down one of the tyres. In retrospect, whilst I'm certainly not proud of my initial reaction - it did feel like sweet revenge had been served. (despite the $600 bill which awaited)

Some people just have no respect.... Anyone else have any other war stories?

Re: Parking - How do you park your baby?

Doesn't matter where you park. Some b*std comes and parks next to you.

Quote:
    john999s said:

Lol...John, that reminds me once of a time when I was parking my old BMW 330 in a completely (and I swear ) completely empty parking lot outside a beach club. I was shuffling around in the glovebox looking for something and noticed a car had pulled up RIGHT NEXT TO ME. There must have been 100 spaces free in the lot!!!

What made me even more mad - was that his car was SO Damn close, I was sure he would hit me if he opened the door.

I started to make movement in the car, opening the windows, swivelling the rear mirrors up and down - just to let him know that there was someone in the car - when suddenly...

CLUNK....straight into my passenger door. I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes.

Usually a rusty pick-up truck with a gun rack and oversize tires.

I park at work and only a few locations where I feel it's relatively free of the riff-raff. I don't park at Home Depot / Wal Mart / Costco / K-Mart, etc. I do park my car at my office building where I know everybody is pretty cool. And I don't mind taking my car to high-end golf courses, because golfers tend to be various courteous and respectful of others. Ironically, the only time my car was scratched was when I brought my car into the Porsche dealership to have some work done.

As long as none of us park it on its roof

Quote:
    mish said:
    Quote:
    john999s said:

Lol...John, that reminds me once of a time when I was parking my old BMW 330 in a completely (and I swear ) completely empty parking lot outside a beach club. I was shuffling around in the glovebox looking for something and noticed a car had pulled up RIGHT NEXT TO ME. There must have been 100 spaces free in the lot!!!

What made me even more mad - was that his car was SO Damn close, I was sure he would hit me if he opened the door.

I started to make movement in the car, opening the windows, swivelling the rear mirrors up and down - just to let him know that there was someone in the car - when suddenly...

CLUNK....straight into my passenger door. I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes.

Reminds me of the time when my car was a few weeks old. I dropped my wife off at the Sav-On while I looked for a parking spot away from everybody. I found one way out of the way and a minute later, some guy in an older car pulls close right alongside me (on the passenger side). I'm thinking WTF? Apparently, he didn't think I was still in the car. So, naturally, I back up to find another spot and the guy turns to look as if to say, what's your problem? C'mon losers.

Having dealt with this problem for decades I can tell you from experience that many people will go out of their way to bother Porsches,--they will park as close as they can next to you in an otherwise empty parking lot when you're way out there. It's just a jealously issue I suspect. As a result, Porsche drivers need to make sure they DON'T do anything that only gets others to do this sort of stuff. First off, NEVER park across two spots. It will guarantee you someone parked right next to you,--almost to the point you could not get in the car. Look for a spot on the end,--and hopefully, with a plant-filled island there to your right or left. In that case, park as close to that thing as you can. Always park to the RIGHT when you can keeping in mind that it's the DRIVER'S door that will be the issue more than a passenger door (as most cars are 1-person cars). Windy days. Keep in mind that even with the best people near you,--think about the direction the wind is blowing. If you have a northerly wind blowing,--DON'T park facing the south. The wind can get ahold of the neighbor car's door as they're opening it and do considerably damage. Let the wind work on your side. Park FACING the wind when you have the choice. In shopping mall lots park farthest from the main doors and away from wherever there may be a food court. Those places have a higher hourly turnover,--subjecting you to more than one potential ding an hour. The worst place for this sort of abuse of car doors is in America. I have generally found in Europe that there is significantly more respect for people's 'wheels' over there and they will try like crazy not to damage your car door with theirs. This is the case even with the narrower parking spots we find in Europe. Try like crazy not to be the 'ugly' Porsche driver. I think that's what sets some of these folks off.

dan

It seems that the best way to avoid dings is to know the area you're parking in. Of course do all the regular stuff like parking away, end spots, avoid high traffic areas(Starbucks parking lot) where people are always coming and going, older drivers, two door cars(they're ususally bigger and swing further), kids, clear away shopping carts etc. One rule I have to is always back out of a spot instead of going forward to avoid hitting the cement dividers or other things. Knock on wood no dings so far

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Having dealt with this problem for decades I can tell you from experience that many people will go out of their way to bother Porsches,--they will park as close as they can next to you in an otherwise empty parking lot when you're way out there. It's just a jealously issue I suspect. As a result, Porsche drivers need to make sure they DON'T do anything that only gets others to do this sort of stuff. First off, NEVER park across two spots. It will guarantee you someone parked right next to you,--almost to the point you could not get in the car. Look for a spot on the end,--and hopefully, with a plant-filled island there to your right or left. In that case, park as close to that thing as you can. Always park to the RIGHT when you can keeping in mind that it's the DRIVER'S door that will be the issue more than a passenger door (as most cars are 1-person cars). Windy days. Keep in mind that even with the best people near you,--think about the direction the wind is blowing. If you have a northerly wind blowing,--DON'T park facing the south. The wind can get ahold of the neighbor car's door as they're opening it and do considerably damage. Let the wind work on your side. Park FACING the wind when you have the choice. In shopping mall lots park farthest from the main doors and away from wherever there may be a food court. Those places have a higher hourly turnover,--subjecting you to more than one potential ding an hour. The worst place for this sort of abuse of car doors is in America. I have generally found in Europe that there is significantly more respect for people's 'wheels' over there and they will try like crazy not to damage your car door with theirs. This is the case even with the narrower parking spots we find in Europe. Try like crazy not to be the 'ugly' Porsche driver. I think that's what sets some of these folks off.

dan

Good post Dan. It definitely pays to extend better-than-average courtesy in heavy traffic, people are pleasantly surprised by this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes through this parking paranoia.

You posters above; I can completely relate to those parking lot stories! God help the guy who I catch putting a ding in my car. I don't park my 997 anywhere if it looks high risk in any way. I'll abort and return later with another vehicle if I have to (sick aren't I?).

At work I recently found location in our lot where there's two slots surrounded by planters. That's where me and my co-worker (and good friend) park. He owns a Saleen, is as paranoid as I am about other cars putting a ding in his baby. On days he's on vacation, I just take my truck to work

Went to watch a movie one night with the mrs. and saw a gorgeous black 993 perfectly detailed in an open area of the parking lot. So I parked my black 997 one space away from him. Parking lot wasn't anywhere close to full and we were parked three rows away from the nearest cars. Came back after the movie only to find the worst Sh*t box in the parking lot parked in between us. Fortunately no damage to either my car or his. Obviously some people get a kick out of messing with peoples heads I"ve driven some real beaters in my day and would never have pulled such a stunt just to [censored] somebody off, especially when I had young kids who aren't always the most careful.

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    Went to watch a movie one night with the mrs. and saw a gorgeous black 993 perfectly detailed in an open area of the parking lot. So I parked my black 997 one space away from him. Parking lot wasn't anywhere close to full and we were parked three rows away from the nearest cars. Came back after the movie only to find the worst Sh*t box in the parking lot parked in between us. Fortunately no damage to either my car or his. Obviously some people get a kick out of messing with peoples heads I"ve driven some real beaters in my day and would never have pulled such a stunt just to [censored] somebody off, especially when I had young kids who aren't always the most careful.

These incidents are so true; you make an obvious effort to say "please don't park next to me, or at least be respectful", only to have someone exploit an opportunity to mess up another person's day.

One way to prevent people from parking next to you is to back in taking up 2 spots. Looks good too.

Heres a horror story - I was at a coffee bean with friends in Santa Monica. We were STILL IN my BMW about to leave when a Corvette pulls next to us driven by a massive blonde woman. There is barely any room between my passenger side door and her car. I assume she is going to wait for me to pull out - but suddenly she turns off her ignition and literally slams her door into my car. I am in shock as she SQUEEZES out (this lady was 200 pounds +), pushing her door into mine. I was like "Excuse me!" and she just shrugged me off - If you are ugly and fat, please at least have a pleasant personality.

I avoid parking next to any american made car with two doors (coupe). The doors are heavy and open wide. Count on a ding when you see one of those next to your baby.

Quote:
    khansdad said:
    Heres a horror story - I was at a coffee bean with friends in Santa Monica. We were STILL IN my BMW about to leave when a Corvette pulls next to us driven by a massive blonde woman. There is barely any room between my passenger side door and her car. I assume she is going to wait for me to pull out - but suddenly she turns off her ignition and literally slams her door into my car. I am in shock as she SQUEEZES out (this lady was 200 pounds +), pushing her door into mine. I was like "Excuse me!" and she just shrugged me off - If you are ugly and fat, please at least have a pleasant personality.

Love it

Try coming back to your P with a father and son in their car looking pissed off, and a loogie dripping down the passenger's side window

Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

Dan-
    I've used the methods you mention for years and I"m ding free (knock on wood). And I absolutely don't d*ck around on the fwys. I'm amazed at all the dorks who race in and out of traffic changing 3 or 4 lanes at a time. And if you're anywhere near them keeping up with traffic, which as you know means exceeding the speed limit here in CA, guess who's going to get pulled over?

And parking way out in the middle of nowhere and taking up two spots is just beggng jethro in his monster truck to park beside you.

Quote:
    john999s said:

Ditto. I have parked far away and someone always parks right next to me. It is sad that people don't respect other's cars but I guess that is how it is.

If I cant find a corner space, I try to park in between 2 nice cars...

Yep, I would agree....'parking in 2 spots' is the definite kiss of death for your car. Someone will think 'look at that ass taking up 2 spaces' and deliberately try to force his rusty old tincan into that tiniest of spaces.

Glad I am not the only one who goes through bouts of paranoia everytime I look for that vacant parking space!

I spend 10 minutes this afternoon trying to find a 'safe' parking spot. In the end, I settled for a distant spot where cars are parked behind each other (rather then beside each other). I also parked behind a Toyota with a parking sensor (just in case).

Like Oxonian I try to park behind someone with a parking sensor - did this last month behind a BMW X5 and left plenty of room but he/she still managed to damage my number plate!

It's not just p-cars - had pre booked a car park space for my wife's Toyota RAV at Manchester airport for a 3 week stay and got put in prime postition near the terminal building but unknown to us this was a drop-off point for limos etc. We came back to find 34 seperate dings and marks.....

Final bad story - also have a Lotus Elise as a sunny day toy and this car has never even been wet so is like new. Parked at a garden centre and was sitting in the car when a woman driver tried to squeeze a large car into a too-small space next to me and proceeded to hit the Lotus. When I got out to have words(!!) with her she said "Well, you didn't leave me enough room did you"

Taking up two spots is basically like hanging a big sign in the window the car that says "somebody please key, kick, or vandalize my car". Never a good move. You either find a good wide spot, or find some empty room at the other end of the lot and make the hike, or you don't park. But when you pose the car in two spots, you're going to get spit on, keyed, and basically cursed by all humanity..

I have always been a member of park at the furthest open area available club, or simply drive away ( I have not gone to a movie or changed restaurant choices over this), but does everyone take as much grief from the Misses (wife) as I do?

I thought you guys in the states had generous parking bays . Here in the UK their a joke , their so small and just provoke an happening even more..

I normally have a good look and go for a corner spot if available . I also park on the passenger side , their's always going to be a driver but he or she may not be carrying passengers . Also take note of vehicle next to you because if different when you get back that tells you theres been movement , corrr I sound really sad dont I .

Taking these precautions is a pain I know and it does drive my Mrs mad but when you sell on its well worth it..

Good luck all..

throt..

I've been reading this thread with interest. Here is my story.

When I go to my gym, I always park far away from the entrance at the top row of cars for the reasons described in this thread. Typically there are many open spots up there and nobody parks in the spaces immediately next to my 997. Other nice cars, other p-cars, etc. park up there too.

So one night on a weekend I get to the gym late. There is almost nobody in the lot - maybe 30 or so cars - so parking where I usually park would leave literally 50 spaces open between my car and the next car. So I decide to park closer. I leave 10 spaces between myself and the next car. The gym closes in 2 hours so I make a judgment call that a sudden rush of gym rats will not happen given the timing.

I work out and go to the parking lot 1.5 hours later and you can guess what I see. A crapbox 80's piece of %$#@ is parked right next to me - on the passenger side - right up on the paint line and there are 9 spaces open between our 2 cars to the left and 49 spaces open to the right. The crapbox has no hubcap on one wheel. My jaw is somewhat open as I see this as I walk toward the car. When I get closer, sure enough I see there is a 50's year old 'bag lady' woman inside that car. I usually open the passenger side door to place my gym bag in the car but she is way too close. I try to get her attention subtly to let her know I am there so as to be careful, in a way that would not be obnoxious whereas she did nothing technically 'wrong' yet other than park like an [censored].

She does not look up. So I decide to get the hell out of there asap. As I am about to open my driver side door, she opens her door and as she is getting out sure enough she moderately 'taps' my passenger door with her door. I immediately yell "hey...hey...hey" just like that and she looks at me and says 'sorry' and almost does it again as she continues to get out. I immediately walk over to see if there is a ding. She says "I really try to be careful" and on the tip of my tounge I am about to say "well, b!tch i think you are full of %$#@ because if that were true you would not be parked next to my arse" but I stay silent (because for all I know she is a member of the gym and she'll see my car again - - if I am too rude I would invite the 'key' one day). I see there is no ding at all (thankfully) and say "HAVE A NICE DAY MA'AM" quite sternly and she looks at me and repeats "sorry" and I repeat my phrase again as I bite my tounge. I then drive to a brighter spot to again look for a ding and find nothing.

Still, its unreal - - people really do seek you out and park as close as possible, either purposefully or through sheer ignorance.

If I see someone carelessly hit my car with their door I will wait 'til he leaves and then kick his f****** door in with my foot. Why wait? Because I don't want to discuss anything.

Quote:
    khansdad said:

Similar situation happened to me also, except it was in front of an IHOP and the lady either didn't speak English or just ignored all my yelling

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436210 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260910 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257867 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808570 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM