Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

BlackSparrow:

Kudeyavchik - good job on Breguet history :) you listed Russians that owned them, but what about Marie Antoinette, Napoleon and other famous characters from the west of Poland :)) (ya s uvazsheniem govoryu) I own two of their watches- a 1835 watch and a royal mariner watch (with alarm). We all understand that Porsche is giving away exclusivity of the brand for profit... It does not mean that GT3, 911 turbos will at all suffer. Being flagship models they will get more development money, more recent technology and the company will not close down :) nothing wrong with that.

Glad to see that you speak Russian:)))) 

Fully agree with you) Also we all know that porsche is not only automaker, but also an engeneering company that develops a lot of things inside car manufacture and outside it. 

What I mean is that the production models itself is not the thing why I and I think many people are fans of Porsche...Anyway most of the cars that Porsche produce now and Ferrari, AM, Mercedes and etc will be the heineken cans in 20 years, but racing history, racing cars that won the greatest events, people that invented the great engineering ideas - that is immortal;) To my mind that thing creates the power of brand Porsche. There are only 2 brands that can be compared with them - Mercedes and Ferrari.

In production cars the main thing - to be a good product and I think that porsche is above all others. 

Anyway you can't warranty that f.e. FIAT will not die in 15-20 years and Ferrari will not start to make mid-segment SUVs but the history of this brand will forever remain.

--

sportcars-history.com

Agree but within Porsche there are also non-mass models.

--

sportcars-history.com

reginos:

. Once it was competing against Ferrari but gradually it's becoming a BMW rival.

When was Porsche in direct competition with Ferrari? Surely when the 911 came out it's closest rival was the Beetle Smiley

Those 911 models just happened to outrun, or "own", super sports cars such as Ferrari's etc. IMO, this is what Porsche needs to get back at. Along the lines of what RC is saying in the other thread, their products need to continue to destroy the competition.

Atzporsche:
    reginos:

. Once it was competing against Ferrari but gradually it's becoming a BMW rival.

When was Porsche in direct competition with Ferrari? Surely when the 911 came out it's closest rival was the Beetle Smiley

Those 911 models just happened to outrun, or "own", super sports cars such as Ferrari's etc. IMO, this is what Porsche needs to get back at. Along the lines of what RC is saying in the other thread, their products need to continue to destroy the competition.

High range of 911 (RS, Turbo) are very good competitors to v8 range, 959 vs 288gto or f40, CGT to ENZO, 918 to F70. Porsche has a longer price "fork". F.e. such cars as dauer 962, gt1 were much more expensive than ferraris models at the time. 

--

sportcars-history.com

Ferrari always tried to be as good as Porsche but never succeeded. Until the F360 showed up, a real game changer.

Think about the 993 Turbo S or the 959...at that period of time, Ferrari had nothing comparable, especially not in that price range (993 Turbo).

The 430 and the 458 have been game changers too but I'm not sure if Ferrari is aware of what Porsche has in mind for the near future of the brand, incl. the new 991 Turbo and of course that infamous rumored middle engined Porsche model which is supposed to be placed strategically between the 991 Turbo and the 918.

I actually think that with Porsche taking over the development of the sports car branch of VAG, Porsche will have a huge advantage over Ferrari. Just imagine the money of VAG with the development/research potential of Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti combined. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Ferrari always tried to be as good as Porsche but never succeeded. Until the F360 showed up, a real game changer.

Think about the 993 Turbo S or the 959...at that period of time, Ferrari had nothing comparable, especially not in that price range (993 Turbo).

The 430 and the 458 have been game changers too but I'm not sure if Ferrari is aware of what Porsche has in mind for the near future of the brand, incl. the new 991 Turbo and of course that infamous rumored middle engined Porsche model which is supposed to be placed strategically between the 991 Turbo and the 918.

I actually think that with Porsche taking over the development of the sports car branch of VAG, Porsche will have a huge advantage over Ferrari. Just imagine the money of VAG with the development/research potential of Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti combined. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (at Porsche right now), BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Porsche engineering was always far ahead of competition.

--

sportcars-history.com

RC:

We await these rumoured new models very eagerly and urgently, lest we lose our faith in Zuffenhausen.

I'm sure that you must have plenty of inside information by now Smiley Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I'm sure that you must have plenty of inside information by now Smiley Smiley

As soon as the legal issues of a Volkswagen/Porsche merger are cleared up, Porsche will deliver. Smiley

Another issue for the future seems to be that new markets like China have become more important than anticipated, so they need to take that into consideration for future products too.

--

Atzporsche, I wish I could agree that the early 911s outran or "owned" their Ferrari competitors, but the Ferrari Dinos and Daytonas were more than a match for any 911 at the time.  I owned both a Ferrari Daytona and a Porsche RS 3.0, and the acceleration times were quite equal, with the Daytona having a higher top speed.  They were different cars entirely, but certainly the Ferrari was not inferior or "owned". 

I had a 911 3.0 SC as a classic car until 2003. I had the chance to test it against a friend's 328 GTB QV and Mondial 8 and the Porsche was not only faster but easier to drive fast. I understand that all three being old cars, the state of repair counted for a lot but the newer  GTB and Mondial felt very rough and ready next to the Porsche in terms of engine smoothness and power delivery, ride and handling and brakes. 

Porsche have improved in modern times but Ferrari have taken huge steps forward.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I had a 911 3.0 SC as a classic car until 2003. I had the chance to test it against a friend's 328 GTB QV and Mondial 8 and the Porsche was not only faster but easier to drive fast. I understand that all three being old cars, the state of repair counted for a lot but the newer  GTB and Mondial felt very rough and ready next to the Porsche in terms of engine smoothness and power delivery, ride and handling and brakes. 

Porsche have improved in modern times but Ferrari have taken huge steps forward.

--

"Form follows function"

Ferrari took huge steps forward in reliability too. I recall a 2,000 Km drive in northern Italy and Austria with a group of friends and one of them had a very well maintained 512 bb  that broke down twice (and it was not the only instance). With our classic 911s that was truly a rarity to have issues on the road. Those cars were just much better built (and simple for that matter).

I quite agree that on winding roads the 911s (the better ones) were hard to beat at the beginning of 70s.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

all points of which fail to ask why build a smaller SUV that is only marginally smaller than the old ones?

i think it could have been a great idea but to drop 5 inches from my Cayenne GTS makes little sense?

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:

all points of which fail to ask why build a smaller SUV that is only marginally smaller than the old ones?

i think it could have been a great idea but to drop 5 inches from my Cayenne GTS makes little sense?

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

The Macan is based on the upcoming new Audi Q5. Now compare the weight of the current Q5 and the weight of the new Cayenne GTS and you may understand. Smiley

--

RC:
    CPA4S:

--

The Macan is based on the upcoming new Audi Q5. Now compare the weight of the current Q5 and the weight of the new Cayenne GTS and you may understand. Smiley

Which upcoming Q5, the facelift due later this year or the next-generation one?

The facelifted Q5 2.0TFSI weighs 1795 kgs with the 6-speed manual and 1830 kgs when fitted with the 8-speed tiptronic, while the 3.0TFSI weighs 1915 kgs and comes with the heavier tiptronic fitted as standard. Knowing Porsche, they'll add a few aluminum panels to the Macan and pull that weight down further, but compared to the new Cayenne GTS' portlier 2085 kgs, we're looking at a difference of 170 kilograms and over.

Fairly considerable, no?

rulesdontapply

She must be a brilliant seamstress kiss

1340041456491Scanned at 18-06-2012 20-31.jpg

--

BlackOctober:

She must be brilliant since her employers have named a model range after her Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I think she may be Scottish. 

reginos:
    BlackOctober:

She must be brilliant since her employers have named a model range after her Smiley

Not necessarily. Enzo Ferrari also had a model named after him and I bet he couldn't even sew.  Smiley

--

fritz

That's why they named just a model after old Enzo and not a whole range of cars as in the case of the good sewing lady Macan. smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I think some hotshot in the naming department is having an affair with lady Macan, and now she has leverage to get a model range named after her......

Little untidy in the corners. Snail's pace compared to the real Porsche in the video 

It appears to have a good stance and pleasant proportions.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Little untidy in the corners. Snail's pace compared to the real Porsche in the video 

Did you think so?  
    It was showing a lot of air between the tyres and wheel arches and looked like it was driving on tip-toe. Rather ungainly. 
    Testing stability with variable-height suspension fully raised maybe?  Smiley

--

fritz

Aah! The McCann; A symbol of unbridled passion.

fritz:
    reginos:

Did you think so?  
    It was showing a lot of air between the tyres and wheel arches and looked like it was driving on tip-toe. 

For a camouflaged test car the overall impression was good IMO. 

The handling at speed didn't look very Porsche to me. It appeared that electronics were intervening all the time. But OTOH it is still on test.

--

"Form follows function"

Interesting....how the Macan tail lights will look like. It looks to be round under the camo...... And the Turbo spoiler expanded so high no

1340277532779untitled.jpg

--

They won't be round in design: that's a dummy taillight.

The early 991/Panamera/Boxster/Cayman mules used similar taillights, but they didn't bother obscuring them with camouflage until the actual ones were mounted to the cars. The Macan will almost certainly follow the new design direction of an LED light band with individual modules within it. As per the design sketch, they'll be long, narrow and horizontal and will be split between the body and tailgate.

My guess is that we'll start seeing the outline of the actual taillights some point later this year after the real units are mounted and the camo begins coming off.

rulesdontapply

Think about a mixture about the current Cayenne backlights and the 991 backlights. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688869 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408851 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65440 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773617 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM