Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

bluelines:

I really hope the rear wing will not look like that enlightened

+ 1 Smiley  I hope they do not hold back the nice back wing and put it only on the 991.2 GT3, as they have done with  997

The front look much better then expected.

I am not a fan of the central locking rims. I hope this is only an option.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The rear wing is just there for testing purposes. After all, they don't want to reveal all at once. The proper GT3 is hidden in a garage... ;)

A few more spy pics of the Porsche 991 GT3...

Porsche 991 GT3 spy pics -- Autoweek link

Smiley SmileySmiley

can't wait for the RS wink

Gnil:
    bluelines:

I really hope the rear wing will not look like that enlightened

+ 1 Smiley  I hope they do not hold back the nice back wing and put it only on the 991.2 GT3, as they have done with  997

The front look much better then expected.

I am not a fan of the central locking rims. I hope this is only an option.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

As it wasn't a delete-option on the 997.2, I assume it won't be on the 991 either?

Do we have any ideas regarding engine configuration? 9A1 4.0? That is the part that frightens me most, more so than the possibility of having PDK in a GT3, losing a race-derived engine.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 911 GT3 testing with PDK-S...

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_pic-1.jpg

SmileySmiley

The angle of the steering wheel relative to the front wheels in this picture definitely looks wrong - steering wheel is turned to the left, while the wheels are angled slightly to the right.  Perhaps this suggests that the PDK paddles are just a decoy, mounted to throw all the internet experts off the scent of the real manual-transmission GT3.  Smiley

Re the rear wing: remember that this is there for a functional (rather than aesthetic) reason, i.e. to produce downforce.  A "wing-delete" option is therefore not a realistic prospect for the GT3.

PureBlue:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

SmileySmiley

The angle of the steering wheel relative to the front wheels in this picture definitely looks wrong - steering wheel is turned to the left, while the wheels are angled slightly to the right.  Perhaps this suggests that the PDK paddles are just a decoy, mounted to throw all the internet experts off the scent of the real manual-transmission GT3.  Smiley

Re the rear wing: remember that this is there for a functional (rather than aesthetic) reason, i.e. to produce downforce.  A "wing-delete" option is therefore not a realistic prospect for the GT3.

How does the steering wheel wrong turning position transfer into a possibility that the paddles are a ''decoy'' ?! Smiley

If it's wrong - then it's wrong, irrespective of which type of transmission is used.

dxpetrov:

The rear wing is just there for testing purposes. After all, they don't want to reveal all at once. The proper GT3 is hidden in a garage... ;)

I want to believe that :)

RC, I don't want to distract you from your new "toy" , but perhaps you have any info about that wing?

--

PureBlue:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

SmileySmiley

Porker was referring to the central lock rims, not the rear wing. If course it can not be deleted. And it is a functional feature, but they can make it look better

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I don't think anything's wrong with the steering wheel

1337760217523photo copie.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Here a better pic

1337760419494photo copie 2.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

dxpetrov:

How does the steering wheel wrong turning position transfer into a possibility that the paddles are a ''decoy'' ?! Smiley

If it's wrong - then it's wrong, irrespective of which type of transmission is used.

Umm, this wasn't meant to be taken seriously - it was partly a joke and partly wishful thinking.  Maybe it's wrong to expect a sense of humour before people have had their morning coffee...  Smiley

Gnil:
    PureBlue:

Porker was referring to the central lock rims, not the rear wing. If course it can not be deleted. And it is a functional feature, but they can make it look better

My point was in relation to a post by bluelines, not Porker.

If the rear wing is like that, it will be the worst looking wing on any GT3 so far.

Is the top wing fixed or at standstill it rests on the ducktail and is raised by a motor?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

If the rear wing is like that, it will be the worst looking wing on any GT3 so far.

+1

--

Gnil:

I don't think anything's wrong with the steering wheel

+1 Smiley The steering wheel looks correct in the GT3 (don't understand why people think it is turned left). Thanks for confirming Gnil.

This probably means the GT3 will be offered with a PDK gearbox. Hurray! Smiley I am not a believer in spy photo decoy tactics with the steering wheel being fake. Makes zero sense for Porsche to do that.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

BlackOctober:
    reginos:

+1

Seems like the trust in Porsche's well-doing is at lowest level these days on this forum.

For me, I never have any doubts....

Smiley

Porker:

Do we have any ideas regarding engine configuration? 9A1 4.0? That is the part that frightens me most, more so than the possibility of having PDK in a GT3, losing a race-derived engine.

The engine will be brilliant. Period. Smiley

People are too hung up on the old engine block which was developed 20+ years ago. I am positive Porsche will use all their experiences from these years to engineer an even better engine.

There were similar concerns when the 997.2 Turbo was presented and it turned out very well. I don't think anyone would like Porsche to revert back to the old engine again. Or?

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

bluelines:

People are too hung up on the old engine block which was developed 20+ years ago. I am positive Porsche will use all their experiences from these years to engineer an even better engine.

There were similar concerns when the 997.2 Turbo was presented and it turned out very well. I don't think anyone would like Porsche to revert back to the old engine again. Or?

I share the same feelings. Of course, the Mezger engine has been developed into a very solid and reliable engine but that doesn´t mean a new generation cannot fulfill the same needs. Of course, it offers more potential for the high-power Turbo syndicate yet but comes with far bigger dimensions and higher weight than necessary.

If one considers how often Mercedes or BMW turn out a new engine generation which still remains reliable, it is somewhat surprising to see that people are still asking for a decade-old engine block. That said, even the Mezger engine was not as reliable when launched as it is now. 

I do have high hopes that the dismissal of Wiedeking and the synchronous advent of more engineering-focussed management at Porsche has lead to a less compromising layout of the current engines. On top of that, I´d be surprised if someone as Preuninger would sign off a mellow engine.

bluelines:
    Porker:

The engine will be brilliant. Period. Smiley

I don't know really, 'new' isn't always better for me. I'm sure it will have a broader torque curve, be well-behaved around town, ... But the previous block really was a single-minded piece of engineering, it sounded like a living, breathing thing, I'm not so sure they can replicate that with a normal 'production' engine, let alone with present emmission-regulations, etc...

I'm confident it will be a peach, but I'm sure I'll mourn the passing of the old one.

But the previous block really was a single-minded piece of engineering, it sounded like a living, breathing thing, I'm not so sure they can replicate that with a normal 'production' engine, let alone with present emmission-regulations, etc...

Yesterday I was with 3 friends at the Nürburgring for a F3 Drivers-Course.

We have been at 10.30 AM at the Nordschleife/Brünnchen and we saw the "Industriepool" driving by.

The sound of the 991 GT3 with PDKS is great and agressive - so no problem here...Smiley and it had no problems to follow the Nissan GTRs. Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

That is great news, comparable to the old sound, or more like a louder 991 PSE sound?

Porker:

That is great news, comparable to the old sound, or more like a louder 991 PSE sound?

not louder, but higher and more race-car like - also the PDK shifts sounded different to the 991S.

Blueflame Smiley

blueflame:
    Porker:

not louder, but higher and more race-car like - also the PDK shifts sounded different to the 991S.

Blueflame Smiley

Great news! Smiley

--

Good news and all but still, what if it doens't have a manual? And to me it seems like Porsche is trying to make the GT3 more of a grand tourer that goes really fast rather than a race car that you can drive on the street.

It is possible that the GT3 will have an active rear wing, not just the height but also the angle of attack during braking and cornering.

You're getting oldSmiley  I'm in love.  I can already picture that beast in guards redSmiley

--
    997S Cab. Arctic Silver/Black Top '03 Chrome Silver 350 Z

Maybe it's only my imagination, but on the pic from winter testing, the front brake disc looks bigger....

Btw....the rims are just outstanding! devilcool

133779828485001.JPG133779829426103.jpg

--

i hope that they will stay with a more subtle wing on the gt3. maybe the travel for elevation is greater than on standard models with a deactivate (always up) function for track days.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

BlackOctober:

Maybe it's only my imagination, but on the pic from winter testing, the front brake disc looks bigger....

133779828485001.JPG133779829426103.jpg

The discs probably just look bigger because the winter tyres are fitted on smaller wheel rims. Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689110 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408966 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255658 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234899 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857813 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773778 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM