Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

PureBlue:

A very reasonable question.  Three reasons: availability, price and practicality.

By the time I made the decision to replace my C2S last year (which was quite an impulsive decision), the 997.2 GT3 was no longer available to order, at least not in the SA market.  Having bought the C2S (slightly) used, I really wanted to buy a new 911 and spec it myself - rather than having to live with a spec which was OK, but not quite of my own choosing.  At the time, I could have bought a used 2007 997.1 GT3 (with roughly 20,000 km on the clock) for about the same price as a new GTS - but I specifically didn't want to go back to the 1st gen 997.

Residual values in SA hold up extremely well and are effectively supported by the sole official distributor.  There were very few, if any, used 997.2 GT3s available at the time (which is still the case) and I would have had to pay at least R1.7m for one of those (divide by 10 to get a rough euro equivalent), vs. the R1.26m I paid for the GTS - i.e. a full 35% more.

Finally, there was the issue of practicality.  We only have one child still living with us - she's just turned 12 and can still sit reasonably comfortably in the back seat of a 911 (although this won't be the case for much longer).  With the back seats added as a free option to my GTS, this gives me at least some flexibility to use the 911 for family trips.  For instance, we recently took a 5-day vacation, which involved a 1,500 km round trip - with a GT3, I would not have been able to use the 911 for this trip.

So, in the end it was really a practical decision.  Having said that, I don't regret buying the GTS for a second - it does represent a compromise, but a very, very good one, which still feels special every time I drive it.  Smiley

I had a one-to-one chat with one of the PSDS instructors at Nürburgring last year who praised the GTS. In his view, unless you were looking for a pure track car, the GTS was the better one, with more torque at low RPM, 2+2 seats and as quick around the ring as a GT3 with the skills most people drive Smiley I tend to agree with that view.

So you made a brilliant choice with the GTS Smiley

If I were to chose only one 911 then it would be a 997 GTS PDK. Let's see what the 991 GT3 brings. With PDK and 2+2 seats I am in.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

PureBlue:
    Porker:
    PureBlue:
    Speaking personally, I would love to own a GT3 (and it will probably be my next 911), but I have no interest in owning a Turbo.

I've always wondered why -given your sporty spec for the GTS- you didn't go for a GT3 in the first place, maybe even a slightly used example if price would be an issue. Smiley

Not that I don't love the GTS, but a GT3 remains a different beast altogether...

A very reasonable question.  Three reasons: availability, price and practicality.

By the time I made the decision to replace my C2S last year (which was quite an impulsive decision), the 997.2 GT3 was no longer available to order, at least not in the SA market.  Having bought the C2S (slightly) used, I really wanted to buy a new 911 and spec it myself - rather than having to live with a spec which was OK, but not quite of my own choosing.  At the time, I could have bought a used 2007 997.1 GT3 (with roughly 20,000 km on the clock) for about the same price as a new GTS - but I specifically didn't want to go back to the 1st gen 997.

Residual values in SA hold up extremely well and are effectively supported by the sole official distributor.  There were very few, if any, used 997.2 GT3s available at the time (which is still the case) and I would have had to pay at least R1.7m for one of those (divide by 10 to get a rough euro equivalent), vs. the R1.26m I paid for the GTS - i.e. a full 35% more.

Finally, there was the issue of practicality.  We only have one child still living with us - she's just turned 12 and can still sit reasonably comfortably in the back seat of a 911 (although this won't be the case for much longer).  With the back seats added as a free option to my GTS, this gives me at least some flexibility to use the 911 for family trips.  For instance, we recently took a 5-day vacation, which involved a 1,500 km round trip - with a GT3, I would not have been able to use the 911 for this trip.

So, in the end it was really a practical decision.  Having said that, I don't regret buying the GTS for a second - it does represent a compromise, but a very, very good one, which still feels special every time I drive it.  Smiley

Thanks for your answer, makes perfect sense indeed!

Just out of curiosity, importing from UK, is that an option? As that market is littered with used 997.2 GT3's...

Porker:

Thanks for your answer, makes perfect sense indeed!

Just out of curiosity, importing from UK, is that an option? As that market is littered with used 997.2 GT3's...

To be honest, I haven't really explored that as an option, but I've been told that by the time one gets hold of an import permit, pays for the shipping costs, as well as the very high import duties, any price advantage there may have been would be well and truly negated.  So it seems that importing a single car would be a very frustrating and expensive option.  Smiley

I'm with Bluelines on this - let's wait and see what the 991 GT3 produces.  If it's not fantastic, there's always the option of a 997.2 GT3 (which, hopefully, by then will have become more affordable as well).

go for the 997.2 GT3 - now having driven GTS,manual & PDK and the new 991 - the engine alone is worth to go for it. As to the everyday drivability we went a couple of time now already to Italy / Lake Garda with the RS and a lot of stuff you can put between the rollcage (fits and holds perfectly indecision)

BjoernB:

go for the 997.2 GT3 - now having driven GTS,manual & PDK and the new 991 - the engine alone is worth to go for it. As to the everyday drivability we went a couple of time now already to Italy / Lake Garda with the RS and a lot of stuff you can put between the rollcage (fits and holds perfectly indecision)

Do you drive your GT3 in the winter too? Ever been up in the alps with ski gear? (actually does the GT3 have the roof rack mounts?).

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

GT3 with from what I can see not much of a disguise beyond de-badging (both back and front - because the Porsche crest might have been a tip off ;)...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop/new-porsche-911-gt3-scooped

and more.. http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/72882-spied-2013-porsche-911-gt3-virtually-undisguised.html

some tape between the rear break lights makes me wonder if this is covering the bar that we might expect on the 4S..

Guys, we should start a new thread about the turbo....any idea about the potential release date/spy pics etc?

Cheers kiss

I really hope the rear wing will not look like that enlightened

--

... and I hoped for a better transition between rear lights and the red bar .... seems like not very well implemented.

Cheers

Gregor

The side-skirts seem to suggest a widebody car? Not a fan of the Aerokit-like rear wing, I am a big fan of the agressive stance though.

bluelines:

I really hope the rear wing will not look like that enlightened

+1

--

Suspension looks lower, rims looks bigger..... yes

--

Was this posted already?

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/72882-spied-2013-porsche-911-gt3-virtually-undisguised.html

Porsche 911 GT3 spyshots in HD...

Porsche 911 GT3 spyshots -- MotorTrend link

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche 911 GT3 spied in testing...

2013 Porsche 911 GT3 spied in testing -- AMS article link

2013 Porsche 911 GT3 spied in testing -- AMS gallery link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 911 GT3 testing with PDK-S...

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_pic-1.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 testing with PDK-S -- Quattroruote link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Looks more cartoonish than purposeful.  I must be getting old as the 964RS still remains my favorite or I simply appreciate a well-honed and conceived Porsche.  

Looks Fantastic! I love it!

Carrera4S? check out the black tape covering the red reflector band between the rear headlights of the C4S...

--

Porsche 911 GT3 spotted testing at the Nurburgring...

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_Nurburgring-01.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_Nurburgring-02.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_Nurburgring-03.jpg

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_Nurburgring-04.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 spotted testing at the Nurburgring -- TS link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Beautiful photos, does anyone know what kind of Porsche emblem/crest that is on the hood?  Looks like it's part of the hood (embedded) or is it one I could order for my 991? 

Beau,

there is no emblem on the hood. It is, regularly on the 991, embedded in the sheetmetal.

I suppose if I wanted that look, I would have to custom order the complete hood for my car.

Good catch Carlos.

I think the red reflector should be wider, at least the width of the rear lights Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Good eyes on the paddle shifter Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 911 GT3 testing with PDK-S...

Porsche-911-GT3-PDK-S_pic-1.jpg

Porsche 911 GT3 testing with PDK-S -- Quattroruote link

Smiley SmileySmiley

...what's going on with the steering wheel and the PDK paddles? Smiley

...are those steering wheel paddles pointing in the wrong direction compared to the front wheels? Smiley

...is this supposed PDK steering wheel just a "red herring"Smiley Smiley Smiley

...maybe the GT3 will have a manual gearbox? Smiley 4 Smiley Smiley SmileySmiley

No, don't think it is pointing in the wrong direction. 90 degrees to the right.

It is a very good sign that there are paddles though! kiss

--

Now, if they sort out the wing (or offer a delete option to only have the ducktail), offer PDK and an option for rear seats... I'll sign the order in an instant smiley

--

My impression of the new GT3:

Front looks astonishingly good (never was convinced by the GT3 front spoilers so far), still I don't like the front air intakes not in line with the DRL lights. New rims are okay, but I don't like that ducktail-aerokit-rearwing-thing at all. enlightened

BTW, I guess beneath the tape at the rear lid of the GT3 (not the one of the 4/4S, this one looks different) we will see something like an airvent.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

My impression of the new GT3:

Front looks astonishingly good (never was convinced by the GT3 front spoilers so far), still I don't like the front air intakes not in line with the DRL lights. New rims are okay, but I don't like that ducktail-aerokit-rearwing-thing at all. enlightened

BTW, I guess beneath the tape at the rear lid of the GT3 (not the one of the 4/4S, this one looks different) we will see something like an airvent.

Fully agree regarding the front of new GT3. Overall, I like new GT3 pretty much. IF(and it seems to be the true according to my source as well) Porsche offers new GT3 with PDK(or PDK-S) I will probably order one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690098 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409520 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255869 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235109 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65605 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858264 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774427 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM