Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need Suggestions On New Boxter Options

I'm about to put my order in for a 981 and need some help in choosing.  Since all Porsche in China costs 2.5-3.5x what it costs in the US, at the current rate I'm specing the car, the total price tag will be almost $200,000 for the S.  So trying to cut down on some of the costs, wondering if people could give me some feedback on the below:

1. Is Sports Chrono worth getting, considering it is a $6000 option in China?  Don't plan on doing any drag races, so can someone who has test driven the car let me know if performance wise, there is a big difference?  We have it on our Panamera S, but very rarely used.
    2. For those who have seen the carrea red leather in person, is it that much brighter than the previous red?  I have the red leather in my current boxter, from the ads, it seems the carrera red is not that much brighter, besides the top, however, pics without photoshop seems to tell a different story.
    3. I like the way the Carrea Classic wheels look, but again, it is a $3000 mark up from the Carrea S 20", which I could save to get the air pressure monitor, which I probably need due to frequency of getting punctures in China.  Alternatively, anyone suggest that I just get the 19" due to nails and screws all over the streets because of the whole country being a construction site?
    4. I'm getting the Sports Exhaust with sound management, it seems like everyone likes it and think it is worth getting?
    5. What interior color and top options works for Platnium Silver if I don't get the Carrera Red interior/red top? 
    6. What interior color and top options works for Aqua if I don't get the Carrera Red interior/red top? 

Any suggestions welcome, I just saw the real car in person this weekend and the "ass" sealed the deal.  Have good relationships with the dealer and they promised me that I will get the first Boxter S in Shanghai/China if I put my order in soon!

Re: Need Suggestions On New Boxter Options

You surely want a Boxster. 

1. Sports Chrono is worth it in my opinion. It enhances throttle response and shifting times/behaviour, also PSM reaction. Performance-wise, the difference is minimal but the feeling is worth gold. If you already have it on your Panamera S and you don't use it, forget about it. Save the money.

2. I think the new Carrera red leather is kind of lighter in color but I haven't seen it in person either, sorry.

3. In China, I would stick to the 19'' wheels. It helps saving (tire) cost. Also the 19'' rims are cheaper to replace than the 20'' ones.

4. Sport exhaust is a must, especially on a car with an open top. If you enjoy a good exhaust/engine sound, go for it.

5. Platinum silver works very well with a black interior but dark brown interiors work well too.

6. Aqua works well with lighter brown tones, even grey and black anyway.

Good luck with your choice!!! kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

1. Sport Chrono is potentially useful if you are getting PDK. If manual, pretty pointless since Sport button is now standard. SC includes dynamic transmission mounts which is useful if PDK since PDK box is 30kgs lighter than the manual box. SC Plus on PDK is crazy, it does not want to change up even if you press the paddles, and I found it annoying.

2. carrera red on 981 is the same carrera red on 987. I had carrera red leather in my 987, and will have it on my 981.

3. 19" tyres would make sense in China, especially if you have lousy roads. Replacement tyres will be cheaper, wheels will be lighter, and car will be more responsive.

4. PSE is a cool option, but standard exhaust is now pretty vocal .. check out this video to hear a non PSE car:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxKKwmK4jw

5. agate grey would work with platinum silver, but carrera red and red top is the way to go .. especially in China, where red is colour associated with chinese new year etc. I also think espresso would go well with platinum silver, with the brown roof.

6. luxor beige would go well with acqua blue, but I would go for agate grey/pebble grey bi colour, with the blue roof.

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is what I have decided on so far: 

Aqua Blue; PDK; Sports Chrono; PASM; Sports Exhaust System; 19' Boxter Wheels; Porsche Torque Vectoring (Not sure if I should get)

Interior: Agate Grey/Amber Orange; Silver Seat Belts; Dimming Lights; electrically folding exterior mirrors; Light Design Package; Bose; Paddle Shift Steering Wheels; Roll-bar painted in Alumnium 

What do you guys think? Mostly just not sure about the interior color combo. 

Thanks for the reply sfo! I'm taking your suggestion on the Agate Grey leather, but it seems my better half thinks the Amber Orange will stand out a bit more. 

Colour is a very personal choice, so wouldn't offer any suggestions on that suffice to say that amber orange is an interesting colour choice... 

Re extras, personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of Bose - much better investing in sports exhaust! tyre pressure monitoring is a good buy, regarding  PTV if you are going to track the car or you've got some great demanding twisty roads then go for it! 19" wheels makes sense if the road surfaces aren't good and having had 987's both with and without PASM I wouldn't spec or buy a Porsche without it.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Richmaverick:

Thanks for the reply sfo! I'm taking your suggestion on the Agate Grey leather, but it seems my better half thinks the Amber Orange will stand out a bit more. 

I reckon aqua blue and amber orange will not be so easy on the eye ...

IMO, amber orange would work with white, dark blue, mahogany, cognac, platinum or GT silver but my choice would be white

PTV makes sense if you drive in a very spirited fashion, otherwise you probably won't notice that it's there.

I have a aqua blue boxster - reckon an orange interior would be a bit much with it. The blue is already quite a bright colour.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

dreamcar:

Colour is a very personal choice, so wouldn't offer any suggestions on that suffice to say that amber orange is an interesting colour choice... 

Re extras, personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of Bose - much better investing in sports exhaust! tyre pressure monitoring is a good buy, regarding  PTV if you are going to track the car or you've got some great demanding twisty roads then go for it! 19" wheels makes sense if the road surfaces aren't good and having had 987's both with and without PASM I wouldn't spec or buy a Porsche without it.

--

Dreamcar, could you please elaborate on PASM vs. Non-PASM? The only way to get PTV is to buy PASM, and I've never driven the same model with and without PASM. Thanks.

Jim_in_Iowa:
    Dreamcar, could you please elaborate on PASM vs. Non-PASM? The only way to get PTV is to buy PASM, and I've never driven the same model with and without PASM. Thanks.

Ride quality vastly superior to non-PASM, it's chalk and cheese, particularly on badly surfaced roads. The damping on each wheel is independently controlled for better handling; there is no front end dip on braking nor front end rise on hard acceleration. Roll in corners is virtually eliminated.

Basically every aspect of the suspension is improved with PASM.

--

My 987.2 was specc'ed with non-pasm - i always intended to switch out the suspension for something much better (KW) so went with the cheapest option from the factory. I was amazed how poor the ride quality was on the standard setup. Vastly better on aftermarket shocks. I can't compare with pasm but others have summed that up nicely.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Thanks Dreamcar and Dave, I appreciate your experience. Jim

Its worth rememering that the standard set up on the Cayman is much stiffer than the standard set up on the Boxster

--

Gen II Cayman S

also bear in mind that the 981 is all new, its chassis is 40% stiffer, its wheelbase is 45mm longer, its suspension is all new, and standard damping has much improved. All of these makes the 981 much more compliant, yet sporty.

GR:

Its worth rememering that the standard set up on the Cayman is much stiffer than the standard set up on the Boxster

agreed as I found out at no inconsiderable expense! On perfect road surfaces such as the norm in France or Germany non PASM would be fine - we found the Cayman tolerable on those roads. But here in the UK or anywhere else where road surfaces are less than perfect it was unacceptably harsh.

But as richmaverick is living in China, with badly surfaced roads, my strong recommendation to him is PASM and 19" wheels to maximise on comfort whilst still retaining the sporty ride option.

--

DaveGordon:

My 987.2 was specc'ed with non-pasm - i always intended to switch out the suspension for something much better (KW) so went with the cheapest option from the factory. I was amazed how poor the ride quality was on the standard setup. Vastly better on aftermarket shocks. I can't compare with pasm but others have summed that up nicely.

IMHO, the 987.2 and Cayman S equivalent are undriveable without PASM; suspension too harsh, at least on Boston area roads.

thanks for your comments Dreamcar.  It seems PASM comes standard for China, so they have taken the possible bad roads into consideration.  However, as a side note, everyone knows about the construction boom and with that comes brand new highways, especially into rural areas, so not all is bad, haha.  Will stick to 19" stock for now.  

DaveGorden, the interior we are looking at is mostly Agate Grey, with just part of the seats and a bit of the door handles and dash orange.  For some reason, I think a black interior is a bit dull, especially for a convertible. 

that would the leather package instead of the full leather interior .. not a bad compromise if only to introduce flashes of colour into the cabin

Richmaverick:

DaveGorden, the interior we are looking at is mostly Agate Grey, with just part of the seats and a bit of the door handles and dash orange.  For some reason, I think a black interior is a bit dull, especially for a convertible. 

Ah, i see - makes sense. Another user on this forum, ISUK, had a 987 with, if I remember correctly, a two-tone interior based on Lamborghini colours - grey with a partially orange interior. Looked superb IMO. Other threads have shown you need to be quite careful spec'ing two-tone interiors though - to get the best results takes a detailed look at all the different options codes etc.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Thanks DaveGordon.  We just got the sample leather for the amber orange and are having second thoughts... ...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM