Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Carrera - Impressions after a brief test drive

zzboba:

glass sunroof

118,825.25 €...  

have you seen the glass sunroof in the metal/glass?

991 is much cheaper in the UK ..

zzboba:
    RC:

Still...even a 991 Carrera optioned to my liking (no PCCB though!), would cost around 120k EUR. Ouch. Too much.

Haha, exactly the price of the 991 Carrera 3.4 I specced (and ordered)...

Long time no see! Smiley

Still, judging by your performance-enhancing options, what made you decide against the S model?

Ferdie:
    zzboba:
    RC:

Still...even a 991 Carrera optioned to my liking (no PCCB though!), would cost around 120k EUR. Ouch. Too much.

Long time no see! Smiley

Good to see you back, Sönke. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Ferdie:
    zzboba:
    RC:

Long time no see! Smiley

+1 SmileySmiley

Ah thank you guys... wink Feels good to be back. Didn't care too much about cars for the last 2-3 yrs but I'm feeling the itch again...

Still, judging by your performance-enhancing options, what made you decide against the S model?

Good question... can't really tell -- guess I like lots of buttons in my cockpit and car's appearance to be low. And since 991 pricing is insane I had to do a cut somewhere. Originally I didn't want to spend >110K. Even 3.8 S is no Turbo, if I'd go for bonkers Autobahn performance, used 997 Turbo or M5 would get my vote. But of course I'm having some doubts -- but there's always the next car and where I'm coming from (730d is my current drive and before feeling the sport cars itch I was waiting for the 7 series facelift as a replacement) the 3.4 should be fine.

No. Production of MY 2013 options starts end of may AFAIK. But since my car is black it won't change too much of the overall appearance I guess.

Ziggy:
    Rossi:
    Ferdie:
    zzboba:
    RC:

Long time no see! Smiley

+1 SmileySmiley

+2 Smiley

--

fritz

zzboba:

No. Production of MY 2013 options starts end of may AFAIK. But since my car is black it won't change too much of the overall appearance I guess.

agree. black car will be fine.

white/yellow car will look weird. am very curious to see how large the transparent glass panel is.

sfo:
    zzboba:

white/yellow car will look weird. am very curious to see how large the transparent glass panel is.

The same concept looks good on various Mercedes models I've seen in white and silver, including the C, E and SL.

Why not on the 991Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    sfo:
    zzboba:

The same concept looks good on various Mercedes models I've seen in white and silver, including the C, E and SL.

Why not on the 991Smiley

Mercedes with the panoramic roofs are saloons/estates which are not as shapely as the 991. The exception are the E and C class coupes, but it works because the roof is longer. 991's roof is too short and too slopey for the all black look.

Great report Reginos, good to have your feedback knowing you're a 997.2S owner.
    You say it doesn't justify to make the move to 991, still, it has much better engine sound (even without PSE) which is absolutely amazing, it's much more stable, it has a better design in & out, it has lots of character , better materials and build quality, in S form is way faster than 997.2S !!!!! How much could we wish to make the move then?

J.Seven:
    You say it doesn't justify to make the move to 991, still, it has much better engine sound (even without PSE) which is absolutely amazing, it's much more stable, it has a better design in & out, it has lots of character , better materials and build quality, in S form is way faster than 997.2S !!!!! How much could we wish to make the move then?

I'm saying that taking the monetary aspect into account in parallel with the various driving performance improvements. The higher price of the new car (also more extras to choose from which raise the final price further) and the big depreciation on my very fit, 3+ year old car come into the equation. If the economy was as good as 2 or 3 years ago I'd definitely move up to the 991, even to the 3.4 L model.

However, still the 997.2 S PDK although much improved upon by the 991 doesn't come out of the comparison disgraced or feel antiquated, as yet.

--

"Form follows function"

Before deciding on the 991, I was seriously considering the new 997s because they were being heavily discounted at various dealerships in the US (like by 20%) so they were looking very attractive.  I probably could have bought a pretty loaded one for a little less than what I paid for a 991.  But, in the end, the 991's new design mechanically and aesthetically won over the 997s and I figured even with the risk of depreciation I preferred to have the new 991.  

I'm not an expert, a few of my favorite features of the 991 are the start/stop option, the drive (so smooth), the back lights, and the design inside.  

I haven't drive the 997 so I can't really compare too much, but a few dealers had mentioned that some people who had traded in their 997s for the 991 went back to the 997--they just preferred the drive better.

And when I finally did decide on the 991, the dealers I had dealt with all said I made the best choice, and I'm pretty sure they were sincere.

reginos:
    J.Seven:

I'm saying that taking the monetary aspect into account in parallel with the various driving performance improvements. The higher price of the new car (also more extras to choose from which raise the final price further) and the big depreciation on my very fit, 3+ year old car come into the equation. If the economy was as good as 2 or 3 years ago I'd definitely move up to the 991, even to the 3.4 L model.

However, still the 997.2 S PDK although much improved upon by the 991 doesn't come out of the comparison disgraced or feel antiquated, as yet.

--

"Form follows function"

Engine sound is one of the main pleasure a car can give, it ads soul to it. Reginos try to install the SW bypass mufler on your car, you´ll be surprise with the sound of it. I really find hard to be believe a 991 3.4L sounds better than my car. Anyway , I have a Cab which makes a considerable difference vs coupe. My car wIth hardtop on sounds indeed more muted even with PSE, but ever since I drop the SW bypass, even with hardtop you can hear the exhaust much better. 

I will make my 991 drive test only on summer when I came back to my Country, will let you know my opinion by then.

J.Seven

All this talk about the better sound in the 991 seems to ring a bit hollow, considering it is enhanced by a symposer.  Can I assume you 991 guys all have a CD in the player with the following choice? :

Track 1: flat 6 PSE

Track 2: V8 hemi

Track3: V12

etc...

Nope, I'll stick to my un-symposed, mechanically-genuine PSE 997.2 thank you very much.

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

J.Seven:

Engine sound is one of the main pleasure a car can give, it ads soul to it. Reginos try to install the SW bypass mufler on your car, you´ll be surprise with the sound of it. I really find hard to be believe a 991 3.4L sounds better than my car. Anyway , I have a Cab which makes a considerable difference vs coupe. My car wIth hardtop on sounds indeed more muted even with PSE, but ever since I drop the SW bypass, even with hardtop you can hear the exhaust much better.

Thank you for your recommendation. I presume you replaced the central muffler with the SW pipes in the picture below?

2009-997-2-muffler-flow.jpg

I have the extended warranty and I'll have to check if this modification invalidates it.

--

"Form follows function"

Budster:

All this talk about the better sound in the 991 seems to ring a bit hollow, considering it is enhanced by a symposer. 

I am not absolutely sure but I am under the impression that the symposer allows the intake noise to enter the cabin. If so, this is not an artificial sound but just unrestricted.

On top of that standard feature, the PSE is still an option on the 991.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Budster:

All this talk about the better sound in the 991 seems to ring a bit hollow, considering it is enhanced by a symposer. 

I am not absolutely sure but I am under the impression that the symposer allows the intake noise to enter the cabin. If so, this is not an artificial sound but just unrestricted.

Its like a little box with a membrane in the middle separating the air from the engine and the air comunicating into the cabin, so there is a little modification of the sound since it kind of acts like resonance chaimber and its not just a tube, but its no different than the mufflers with respect to the exterior sound, neither is unrestricted and true, they sound coming from the mufflers is modified and designed by the maker to sound just like they want it to by a similar principle than the symposer, the sound we hear from the 997 is not coming from the engine its coming from the mufflers. So in the end you are right though, there is nothing more true and pure about the muffled sound coming from the exhaust than from the symposer, its just that we are so used to the muffler's modified sound that we tend to regard that as true sound.

Also those who have heard the PSE on the 991 say it sounds much better than in the 997, so can get better exterior sound as well.

--

Thanks Reginos and Carlos - having read your responses I make an unqualified retraction of my earlier post.

I think that Porsche have made a mistake in talking about a "sound symposer" though - with BMW and others putting sythesized sound through their speakers, and the word itself suggesting electronic manipulation... 

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

That's a good point Budster, it does kind of sound likesound sythesizer, and the name itself kind of implies manipulation which is not a good thing to highlight. Maybe something like sound comunicator or simular would of been better.
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    That's a good point Budster, it does kind of sound likesound sythesizer, and the name itself kind of implies manipulation which is not a good thing to highlight. Maybe something like sound comunicator or simular would of been better.

"Additional Noise Pipe" ...Be happy its not another $$$$ option from the Exclusive Department.Smiley

Drove the 991S PDK with ceramics against the 997 cabrio 4S GTS on the Porsche Leipzig circuit for a day.

991: Basically the steering is inert but weight well judged and accurate, I found the brake pedal softer, and the car would dive but not squat compared to the 997 (weird).  Far better turn in with no primary understeer (finally), PASM sports is on a par with the 997's PASM normal, at least it felt like this on the circuit.  Refined massively up, PDK far better, engine noise superb (sports exhaust), whole experience wooly.  I wanted to get back to the 997 for the vibrations = sensations.  Sure I would have been slower, and I hate how the 4 wheel drive system shifts between rear wheels and front wheels, but considering that car's tyres were past their sale by date, I was slithering in no time and having "fun".  On the 991 on the other hand, the whole oversteer thing was not clean (not allowed to switch traction control off unfortunately) and as a result I was pushing the car without feeling truly on the edge.

Basically, the 991 is just too clinical for me: PDK and sound are superb, but no vibrations anywhere sort of defeats the supercar ethos for me, or is it I am getting old?

Bottom line: if I had a 997 MkII I would definitely not upgrade my car, and I would want to test the sports suspensions.

and now test-drive a 997 GT3 and compare that again kiss

JAG007:

I wanted to get back to the 997 for the vibrations = sensations. 

Thank you for your track impressions.

You seem to be a follower of the maxim: "too much of a good thing is not good" .Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Actually I had a 997 GT3 MkII so I know very well... Also had 2 children and a wife who point blank refused to use bucket seats anymore...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763638 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436048 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260834 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82567 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874409 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808398 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM