Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

1336572140502omg_ascii.gif

Spyderidol:

Right!  I know what the Pajun is going to look like.

What did you guys expect? The Macan will be a smaller Cayenne with some design elements which separate it from the bigger brother, like the more Coupe-like roof line in the rear. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect too many differences. No spectacular design here. Same goes to a possible smaller Panamera, similar to the Panamera but a tiny bit sportier looking.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (May 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I agree, all I see is a mini-Cayenne with a lot of ugly camo that will be eventually taken off, so I'm not negatively surprised from these pics myself, ie. its no uglyer than a Cayenne, and the Cayenne is not ugly IMO, in SUV standards that it.

--

@RC Yes , perhaps I was expecting a tad too much.

Considering that Porsche wants this car to sell at least as much as the Cayenne, I am not completely convinced that producing the same car (only in a smaller version) , with a weaker engine, and give it a strange name, is a strategy that is right, but then, what do I know?

Am I the only one here who is really liking the direction this car is going in?

rulesdontapply

No - Apparently others like it too.

I kind of like the lowered roof line, gives it a sportier more agile look... or is it just my impression that it is lower in proportion to the Cayenne? 

--

RC:
    Spyderidol:

Right!  I know what the Pajun is going to look like.

What did you guys expect? The Macan will be a smaller Cayenne with some design elements which separate it from the bigger brother, like the more Coupe-like roof line in the rear. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect too many differences. No spectacular design here. Same goes to a possible smaller Panamera, similar to the Panamera but a tiny bit sportier looking.

I wonder if Porsche will have the gall to put out a sexy concept drawing of the Pajun, when they know that what they are really going to do is just make a smaller version of the same car?Smiley

I bet they do! Then they sit back and laugh their heads off!    "Fooled them again! " 1336573227288nyah.gif

I expected individuality in design from this car, which is very unlikely given the general shape.

Porsche got away with the unsuccessful Panamera and  the Cayenne designs, so this seemingly more elegant model will sell too. But they missed another opportunity to come out with something individually striking.

Only the new Boxster has been a successful design in recent years. I don't count the 991 because this is just an update really.

BTW VW Group bought Giugiaro's Ital Design one or two years ago. How is that Studio utilized?

--

"Form follows function"

"On Vacation" by the looks of things.

Acutally, I do like what I see and, c'mon, this down-sizing style is not that much different to all the other competitors: X3 is a smaller X5, the Q5 the junior to the Q7 etc. Most of the camou seems to be the rear-end, so, perhaps the design department is not sleeping but currently having a little nap only......

Funny thing about this mule is that it looks production-ready, save the camo. The 958 Cayenne was rolling about in late 2009/early 2010 with tape covering its lights as opposed to the early-stage 991/981/970 models, which had those circular dummy lights and far heavier cladding. When the 958 prototypes had this little camo on, we were able to notice key design details like the grille shapes, window lines and headlight designs, and that car came out shortly thereafter. This one looks like it's at the same phase, like it's due for an imminent unveiling.

I hope we see this car this year. If Porsche really is planning on unveiling nine new cars this year as RC mentioned, I hope and pray that this is one of them! Better tis than the soon-to-come overkill of the 991 line.

rulesdontapply

Yeah, looks like the car is just about to get revealed! Don't worry too much about the design! The devils is in details as with all other Porsches.... The more dynamic shape looks promising though!

Here is my very quick P'shop to replace the wheels, put in the correct rear side window profile, headlight shape amended to fit the design sketches and the rear lights replaced with those from the design sketch.

1336579963032Black car.JPG

Good effort, thanks! Better than the Cayenne (not a tall order) but I expected more from Porsche, nevertheless. Even if the detailing is concealed and unknown I'm not happy with the general shape and stance.

However, I hope that when the car is revealed, I'll be proven completely wrong.

--

"Form follows function"

To quote a poster on Teamspeed "This will sell like coke in miami during the 80'sindecision

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

ISUK:

Here is my very quick P'shop to replace the wheels, put in the correct rear side window profile, headlight shape amended to fit the design sketches and the rear lights replaced with those from the design sketch.

1336579963032Black car.JPG

I actually quite like this. If it end up similar then it'll be great IMO. 

Maybe I'm in a minority here but I like the small suv segment quite a lot. Even if some of them aren't that good looking (like the Q5 or the Lexus RX) but I do like the Evoque and the general size and proportions of this segment. So I'd be very happy to see the Macan turn out well. I like the current cayenne so I expect to like the Macan.

I was afraid it would turn out like this and obviously I was right. enlightened

I guess we all got fooled by this one here...

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

It will look nothing like this " mini Cayenne "   .... nice try Porsche  .

Rossi:

I didn't Stefan. I posted the pic below back on page 5 of this thread Smiley

Black car 2.JPG

Very good. I like it. As long as it does not have the big, heavy-handed tail light design of the current Cayenne (I think it's a safe bet that won't be the case, given the 981 and 981 tail light designs.)

And it is just the size I'm looking for (I don't need / care for the full size SUV's).

Let's hope a manual will be offered with the better engine choices, unlike the Cayenne. 

great rendition isuk

--

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold / 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual /2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

ISUK:
    Rossi:

I didn't Stefan. I posted the pic below back on page 5 of this thread Smiley

Black car 2.JPG

Me neither, Iain. It's always the same with Porsche design studies: they look great, but the real product is relatively far off. Just have a look at the first Boxster study, the Panamera sketch and now this one for the Macan (same goes for the first sketch of the Ferrari 612 BTW).

Only thing they hardly go wrong is the 911. Well, how could they? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I think Porsche's mind-set is : "We sold many Cayenne's. Possibly more than we expected to, so why mess with something that is (in our eyes) a winner".

The mind-set that I would like to see is" We sold a lot with a less-than-attractive design. Imagine what we could sell if it was a really attractive design!"

The Macan will just look OK, judging from the spy photos. But so do BMW and Audi. Porsche should have come up with something striking and individual especially since this smaller model will not be a tough SUV but a sport-oriented car.

I don't personally like the Evoque but at least LR designers thought of something different and captured a good part of the market with their distinctive design.

--

"Form follows function"

I do not understand the criticism. The car looks like a Porsche. A different design will not sell more cars, you don't buy a Porsche because of design. The company Porsche will / should make money, so why any risk?

It reminds me of my professional situation a few years ago: As an IT company I worked with an advertising agency. The focus of the IT company was to make money, the focus of the advertising agency was likely to win awards. I'd rather earn money with a very good solution as I lose money with the perfect solution. This is the more sustainable option for a company.

At the moment Porsche design is fairly conservative due to their low annual production volumes. They need to protect residual values in order not to alienate buyers of new cars and that requires a gentle evolution approach to styling. They are currently building the sort of production numbers BMW were back in the 80's and look at how conservative BMW were then with each model redesign of their 4 car model range.

Once Porsche gets up to the region of 300,000 plus cars per annum then you can expect to see more radical designs as they will be chasing a much different and more fashion conscious/fickle customer who is neither particularly brand loyal nor really interested in the engineering beneath the outer skin. Witness the styling direction changes at Audi, BMW and Merceds as production volumes rose as evidence of this response to a different target customer.

Itsme:

I do not understand the criticism. The car looks like a Porsche. A different design will not sell more cars, you don't buy a Porsche because of design. The company Porsche will / should make money, so why any risk?

If that's the case, why not fire the whole design department and just make square (really well engineered) cars?

Why bother making a bold and attractive design for the 918? (for example)

Porsche have done it before. Look at how fresh, new and unusual the 901/911 design was when it hit the market?

No one is asking for a risk taking Lambo-esque design . Just something a little more inspired. Making a smaller version of the same car is not very inspirational (for many).

Oh and BTW - Porsche are currently boasting that they received the "red dot" award for the design work on the 991.1336643483022angel.gif

ISUK:

At the moment Porsche design is fairly conservative due to their low annual production volumes. They need to protect residual values in order not to alienate buyers of new cars and that requires a gentle evolution approach to styling. They are currently building the sort of production numbers BMW were back in the 80's and look at how conservative BMW were then with each model redesign of their 4 car model range.

Once Porsche gets up to the region of 300,000 plus cars per annum then you can expect to see more radical designs as they will be chasing a much different and more fashion conscious/fickle customer who is neither particularly brand loyal nor really interested in the engineering beneath the outer skin. Witness the styling direction changes at Audi, BMW and Merceds as production volumes rose as evidence of this response to a different target customer.

Well in that case, I look forward to seeing what they can come up with when they reach 1.5 million cars.Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763611 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436025 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260824 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257791 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808369 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM