Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

WEC 6 HOURS OF SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

http://www.fiawec.com/

Watch it Live and follow Live Timing at the same time!

Have fun!

Re: WEC 6 HOURS OF SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS

And it's a double win for Porsche - in GTE Pro (the #77 Felbermayr Proton car driven by Lieb and Lietz) and in GTE Am (the #67 IMSA Performance Matmut car of Armindo, Narac and Pons).  The first win for the 2012 GT3 RSR in the GTE Pro class of the WEC.  Not too shabby!  Smiley

It was a very good performance, only marred by the fact that the current RSR needs a good dose of BoP in order to compete with the F458.

Come on Porsche- Bring on "Fafi"(960)!

Superb news! I don't know if the all-Porsche podium in the last round of International GT-open was mentioned here already?

http://www.gtopen.net/article.php?cont=353

Spyderidol:

It was a very good performance, only marred by the fact that the current RSR needs a good dose of BoP in order to compete with the F458.

Spider idol, why is that the RSR's in the alms have to run smaller air restrictors than ferrari's? I had a chance to talk to Hartmut Kristensen at long beach and said it was the rules not being fair and that he was working on it. I remember reading somewhere on here that Porsche was already running with max air restrictors just to compete with other but according to Hartmut that is not the case as they are running with smallest out of all cars.

Porker:

Superb news! I don't know if the all-Porsche podium in the last round of International GT-open was mentioned here already?

http://www.gtopen.net/article.php?cont=353

It was.  See the 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR thread.  Smiley

996cal:
    Spyderidol:

Spider idol, why is that the RSR's in the alms have to run smaller air restrictors than ferrari's? I had a chance to talk to Hartmut Kristensen at long beach and said it was the rules not being fair and that he was working on it. I remember reading somewhere on here that Porsche was already running with max air restrictors just to compete with other but according to Hartmut that is not the case as they are running with smallest out of all cars.

well that's total BS by Hartmut, an outright Lie. Ferraris are running 28.3mm restrictors, while Porsche is running 28.9mm, This was all last year, and this year up until now, Compared to Corvette and BMW they are smaller, but to the Ferrari they were 0.3mm larger then regulation. Ferrari runs on regulation restrictors.  This has all changed since a few days ago, when porsche was given a another restrictor break, this time huge, so they are now runnning 29.3mm restirctors instead of the regulation 28.6mm, while ferrari is still stuck at 28.3mm.

Not only that they were also alowed to move their back wing 10cm higher then regulation.

BTW this latest BoP for Porsche was pure BS, because they were more then capable of running at the pace of the ferraris at SPA with 28.6mm restirictors..

All the things stated here by me are fackts that can easily be checked, by looking at the ALMS BoP sheets.at www.imsaracing.net from the beging of the year, and the original GTE regulations at www.lemans.org

In other words, the rest of the ALMS season will be Porsche dominance, while the greatest show will be, by how much will porsche sandbag, and limit its true potential up until they really have to push.

996cal:
    Spyderidol:

I'm afraid there is a mix up.

The Ferrari has smaller restrictors than the RSR. It is the only car that is racing with the "original" restrictor size that is appropriate for a 4.5L engine.

The RSR  has the smallest restrictors of the 4.0 L engined cars despite having already had a restrictor break of +03mm.

Apparently they have just gotten another + 0.4 mm break, which now means that they are running with +07mm break over their "original" restrictor size which are included in the rules.

Furthermore, they had received a 35kg weight break, but because they received the +04mm restrictor break, they are now getting +20kg added to their weight. This means that they are still running 15Kg under their "original" weight  of 1245Kg

I hope this clears things up.

@ Mojelme - I have to disagree with you that the Porsche's  were more then capable of running at the pace of the Ferrari at SPA with 28.6mm restirictors. That is simply not the case. They were quicker than the Ferrari's under certain conditions, but they remained way off the best pace of the Ferrari's.wink

Spyderidol:

@ Mojelme - I have to disagree with you that the Porsche's  were more then capable of running at the pace of the Ferrari at SPA with 28.6mm restirictors. That is simply not the case. They were quicker than the Ferrari's under certain conditions, but they remained way off the best pace of the Ferrari's.wink

Do you reckon there's any chance for the RSR's at LM2012? Smiley

Not really.......but in a 24h race anything can happen.

Spyderidol:

not due to the engine, seeing as their top speed was higher then ferrari's 99%of the time...(ferrari did get the highest top speed , but if you look at top speed lap by lap, porsche was way ahead..

The conditions were very challenging, and the Ferrari's' were not on the right tires at the start. Also the #77 was the first car to change to slicks.

The best lap times for the quickest Ferrari's were substantially quicker than the best #77 time.

I meant during the whole race, not only at the begging. BTW, there are many reasons why a car is slower around a lap, and not all of them involve the engine. But You are right, the WEC BoP seems to be ok. It gives a fighting chance to Porsche, while the Ferrari's still have an edge because of all the R&D that went into the new car.

Porsche need to get their "FeFi" project up and running ASAP. Hopefully they will use it as their weapon in the GTE. This will  provide a top class GT motor sports product that will not only keep their client base competitive , but attract new clients and guarantee a good base for future development.

Hmm the news surronudnin Ferrari FIghter suest it's gonna be based on a VW modular platform, be a 4door car attacking ferrari FF, this does not sound like a GT3 replacement.

I read that article too. I think there was a serious misunderstanding on the part of the journalist responsible.

I don't think Porsche disrespects Ferrari to the point of thinking it can take on Ferrari with a 4 door VW modular platform. (not unless they have all gone completely mad)

If it happens to hindy, It can happen to anyone, a little bit offtopic, but... I fund radio lemans coverage of WEC to be lacking. it took them a very long time to figure out that the Ferrari was gonna go down a pitstop on the porsche, something which was obvios after the second round of stops... I can understand that when you have an exciting battle in other classes, but lets face it GTE is miles ahead of all the other classes in excitment. I mean after 6h of racing 0.6s..diffrence.

What are the latest 'real' news about the FeFi, It's aming for 458M right?

Spyderidol:I don't think Porsche disrespects Ferrari to the point of thinking it can take on Ferrari with a 4 door VW modular platform. (not unless they have all gone completely mad)

well if they are aming for FF, which I also doubt, it wouldn't take much to attack it. A bieffier Pannamera could probably do it...

Check out this rendering:

Porsche-960-rendering-May2012.jpg

If its is anything like this, I would be over the moon!

That's one insanely good looking car, from the pic, I'd say its front engined

Unfortunately  judging by Porsche's latest design performances, I wont jump up and celebrate just yet. However, If  this is an indication of where they are going, then the future looks promising.

Front engined? No -look at the air-in-takes behind the doors. Mid -engined I would say.

since this is PS desing, it doesn't really matter, but the proportion of the car is all wrong for a mid engined car, It needs more ass, and less boobs(front) :D unless they plan on using a tiny boxer engine ala Cayman, but that would defeat the point

I think it's the angle that makes it look breast-heavyindecision

Spyderidol:

Unfortunately  judging by Porsche's latest design performances, I wont jump up and celebrate just yet.

I wouldn't say that after having seen the Boxster, I think they've done a very good job on that car...

You are correct. The Boxster is in fact very nice. I find the  "new"  McCann so disappointing (so far) that it managed to wipe out any positive images and thoughts that I had concerning the Boxster. My apologies.wink

Spyderidol:

Check out this rendering:

Porsche-960-rendering-May2012.jpg

If its is anything like this, I would be over the moon!

Damn, this looks good!  I would buy it in a second.  Unfortunately, though, it's just a rendering.  Smiley

Glad you like it! wink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690415 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409711 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235189 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858368 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774623 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM