Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Zonda 760RS

PureBlue:

Some interesting comments here about the Zonda.  I wonder how many people here have actually driven one (I know I haven't). 

then watch this, probably the closest most of us will get

racerx:
    PureBlue:

Some interesting comments here about the Zonda.  I wonder how many people here have actually driven one (I know I haven't). 

then watch this, probably the closest most of us will get

Or watch the original video in this thread or watch the top gear review of the Zonda F Smiley The consensus is that the Zonda is incredible, even grumpy old JC agees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2B_wN4XW0

trip:

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on conjecture. What "looks" heavy does not have to be. Yes an combo iron aluminum block is heavier than an all aluminum one, but I doubt it's significant, definitely not 100 lbs, probably less than a 40lb difference. The fact that the car is so much lighter than its competitors is a strong indication that the engine is not unduly burdensome, but again this is conjecture. FYI the Zonda has no turbos or intercoolers, just a shit ton of power and torque.Smiley The Huayra uses turbos, but the car remains a lightweight by comparison.

Various reviews of the Zonda have praised the car for its drivability and linearity of power and performance. I don't think we should bash (or unduly praise) Pagani cars based on our assumptions. Based on the words of people who have driven the cars, they are absolute masterpieces. Smiley

kiss

Don't get so worked up, it's just a Pagani, not a rivary between the horse gang and the bull gang smiley

Pagani just not for me personally, they will never have me as a customer so not like they are losing one :) There are many others who like it and some can even afford to buy one and did.

My son think it's one of the greatest after watch Richard Hammon praise it in Top Gear. I think he can recite what Richard said over the years already.

Whoopsy:
    trip:

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on conjecture. What "looks" heavy does not have to be. Yes an combo iron aluminum block is heavier than an all aluminum one, but I doubt it's significant, definitely not 100 lbs, probably less than a 40lb difference. The fact that the car is so much lighter than its competitors is a strong indication that the engine is not unduly burdensome, but again this is conjecture. FYI the Zonda has no turbos or intercoolers, just a shit ton of power and torque.Smiley The Huayra uses turbos, but the car remains a lightweight by comparison.

Various reviews of the Zonda have praised the car for its drivability and linearity of power and performance. I don't think we should bash (or unduly praise) Pagani cars based on our assumptions. Based on the words of people who have driven the cars, they are absolute masterpieces. Smiley

kiss

Don't get so worked up, it's just a Pagani, not a rivary between the horse gang and the bull gang smiley

Pagani just not for me personally, they will never have me as a customer so not like they are losing one :) There are many others who like it and some can even afford to buy one and did.

My son think it's one of the greatest after watch Richard Hammon praise it in Top Gear. I think he can recite what Richard said over the years already.

You're right, I tend to get a little "enthusiastic" about these subjects. I can only hope one day I may be a customer, but I do love their cars and have massive respect for their work. Cheers Smiley

I'm interested in finding out more about the Carbon-Ti Fiber material.

Who's the aeronautic materials expert on here again? Joost I think? Maybe he has some insight on what this is.

racerx:

A lot of smart people have little wealth and a lot of not so smart people have wealth. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions about someone based on their ability to buy a car. I would definitely not call anyone stupid who would want to hear that sound whenever it pleased them. In fact I have always said that Sound was one of the most important criteria for car choice almost equal to looks. Ferrari have proven that model over decades.

Without this engine, sound and performance, Pagani wouid occupy the same category as many other similar companies such as spyker, koenigsegg, and a half dozen more. Their quality as nice as it is does not equal the likes of the AM One-77 or the Mclaren F1. see a little comparo here -- http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20153701/Re_Aston_Martin_one77/page1.html#p20153701

Let´s say it would be a sad view on the world if you believe that most rich people earned their money in some dubious ways and are dim-witted enough to spend one or two millions on a car for the exhaust sound alone. Furthermore, Pagani´s cars sure have more on offer than that. Your comparison with the One-77 is like comparing Burgers by their looks, that concept is not applicable... and some of your comment on the other thread is plain wrong.

I would love to have Dimitri leave a comment in this discussion as he is the only one I know that has first-hand knowledge about their cars. 

Whoopsy:

Pagani are super light weight compared with other cars so they do not need as much low end torque as the Mercedes AMGs, the added torque is just going to overload the rear wheels and kills acceleration time from stop or low speed.

That I can truly agree on. Especially, since turbocharged cars produce lots of torque which has to be fed via appropriate drivetrains which will affect weight as well. As impressive as those recent iterations of the Zonda are, the hard to grasp is the Huyara from an outside view.

If the Zonda is a "kit car" (which it isn't IMO), then I would love to have a kit car like that!

Kit cars are cars that come in pieces and you assemble it yourself over the next year or so :)

Pagani cars are handmade, low volume, extreme high end cars. Ironically, the only thing they might lack IMO is the sheer build consistency of a mass produced car.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Lamguage is organic Easy, always adapting to usage. The most important component (not quality) of an automobile is the engine, bar none. If a company builds a car but not the engine it is in my opinion and many others a "Kit car" company. If you don't like Kit car then maybe you want to use "Coach builder". But that is the dividing line, importing a completed engine, designed and built by another manufacturer puts you in the kit car/ coach builder category. Not a slight just a demarcation. Designing and assembling the engine in-house is another level.

Lots of famous names in there. Even Mclaren is on the borderline nowadays  -- from WIKI - The car is powered by the M838T 3.8 litre twin-turbo V8 engine, designed and developed by McLaren in partnership with Ricardo.

whereas it seems Koenigsegg has made the jump out of Kit car territory --- Previous Koenigsegg models were powered by Ford Modular V8 engines sourced from the U.S. Though also based on the Ford Modular architecture the engine of the CCX was thoroughly re-engineered by Koenigsegg themselves and is assembled at the Koenigsegg factory.[11][12] The engine block for the dual overhead camshaft, 4 valve per cylinder 4.7 liter 288 cu in (4,719 cc) V8[1][8][13] is cast for them by Grainger & Worrall, a British company that produces drivetrain components for Formula One cars.

Many many kit car/coach builder companies all making great quality products but still kit cars/coach builders

http://www.factoryfive.com/
    http://www.superformance.com/mkiii.aspx
    http://www.cav.co.za/pages/manufacture.php
    http://www.africa40.co.za/video.php

For me Pagani is the most unique and exclusive sportscar in the market, no Bugatti Veyron too !!

Lewis Hamilton is the man !! i would have order one exactly the same, manual transmission !!!! WoW !!!

Has to be the best sounding car ever !! Just for only that, it is in my number one list !

--

Whoopsy! Think I hit a nerve earlier and set off a spirited debate.

To some people, a supercar has to be unique, that includes the engine.

McLaren F1 has an engine made by BMW M, but it's a unique engine that no one else uses.

MP4-12C also has an engine by an outsider, but it's still a unique design.

Enzo has a engine that at the time of production it wasn't shared with any other car.

Aventador's V12 is also unique.

Our beloved 911's flat 6 is limited to 911s only.

The Ferrari people threw a rage about the California not a true Ferrari because the engine was from Maserati, even though it's a sister company.

It's costly to make a specific engine for a limited production car, but that's THE POINT of having a supercar, uniqueness.

If the engine has to be shared with some other cars, especially a different brand of cars, then that supercar has lost quite a bit of the identity.

Some interesting facts from the Top Gear video, my bike accelerates 0-60 as fast as that Zonda and the Camaro ZL1 now has more horsepower than both the GT and that Zonda. The Zonda was priced in the $600K range if not more at the time for that model. The Camaro in the video I posted in the camaro thread that does the 1/4 mile in 10.32 sec about $70K and imo the Camaro looks a lot better. (and has more power than the more recent Zonda's)

Whoopsy:

It's costly to make a specific engine for a limited production car, but that's THE POINT of having a supercar, uniqueness.

If the engine has to be shared with some other cars, especially a different brand of cars, then that supercar has lost quite a bit of the identity.

I don't think the fact that AMG makes the Zonda engine detracts from the character and identity of the car at all. They make the engine, but its specifically made for the Zonda. Its not like you're going to be at a red light in your 1.5MM Zonda F and a C73 is going to pull up next to you. 

Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

I don't think the fact that AMG makes the Zonda engine detracts from the character and identity of the car at all. They make the engine, but its specifically made for the Zonda. Its not like you're going to be at a red light in your 1.5MM Zonda F and a C73 is going to pull up next to you. 

Not a C73 but possibly an SL73

The extremely rare SL73 AMG was sold through AMG in 1995, and at 525 bhp (391 kW) it offered the most powerful V12 engine ever put into an SL up to that time. After a brief gap, the SL73 was offered again from 1998 to 2001, although the engine was slightly updated to be more reliable. The same 7.3L V12 was later used by Pagani in the Zonda. A total of 85 SL73 AMG roadsters were built. The SL73 was briefly reintroduced in September 1999 following the SL's end-of-life facelift and a limited number were produced up until December 2001. The facelifted SL73 is the car that appears in the picture (left).

I stand corrected. 

But, I still think its not something that takes away from Pagani. Only 85 where ever made, by those numbers its probably even more rare to see one that an actual Zonda. Exclusivity is still maintained, and I'm sure that if AMG said "hey Mr. Horatio, just so you know we're going to run that 7.3 engine you are using now (and that has been painstakingly developed and improved with the Zonda models) and drop it in a special edition SL. you ok with that?" there would be a huge issue.

Exclusivity - I put that way down the list, my car is exclusive, I only see a well-preserved 928 once every 2 years at the most. Zonda is a kit-car/coach builder that does good work. I personally don't like the looks that much and its numbers get beaten by cars costing 1/10th as much, so I think we have come full circle -- the SOUND.

otherwise why not a lot of threads about the others - spyker, koenigsegg, noble, and ............................

go the 8 min mark - the Sound of a great N/A engine is what the fun is about these cars (similar to an air show, fireworks, even guns, and thunder storms)

Whoopsy:

McLaren F1 has an engine made by BMW M, but it's a unique engine that no one else uses.

MP4-12C also has an engine by an outsider, but it's still a unique design.

Enzo has a engine that at the time of production it wasn't shared with any other car.

Aventador's V12 is also unique.

Our beloved 911's flat 6 is limited to 911s only.

The Ferrari people threw a rage about the California not a true Ferrari because the engine was from Maserati, even though it's a sister company.

If I may dear friend, Maserati engines are build by Ferrari anyway! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

hmmm someone mentioned the SL73... My dreamcar next to a black 930 and the CGT smiley

I think Zonda is THE best supercar out there. It's gotten into a very unique DNA that once was reserved for Lamborghini.. since they went German and now have electric window switches from a VW Golf, the Zonda as a unique brand really stands out there alone. It's just so crazy over the top, yet also very detailed and hand built. I think that they have gone with an AMG engine just adds to the whole uniqueness. After all, AMG builds some of THE best engines period. This 760RS sounds out of this world, very close to an F1 car!! I would agree that it is THE most exotic and unique supercar beating everything Ferrari or Lamborghini has to offer.

REALZEUS:

If I may dear friend, Maserati engines are build by Ferrari anyway! Smiley

You are the rare breed. A couple of my Ferrari owning friends are STILL bitching about the Maserati engine designed and built by Ferrari IN a California.

Enmanuel:

Someone else said it already but I will expand.

The AMG V12 is not an engine built specifically for Pagani, Pangani just buy whatever Mercedes is making at the time. First it was the regular 6 liter V12, not even an AMG version, just the regular production one, then AMG make a version that's stroked to 7 liter and Pagani switched to that. AMG then stroke it again to make it 7.3 and Pagani switched again.

I am not trashing the engine, AMG makes GREAT engines, all are hand built, all are gems. But still, it's a shared engine with a lesser car.

Look at it this way, YOU are driving around in a Zonda 760RS, THE Pagani right now. Stopped at a stop light but then a banged up rusted up 1992 Mercedes S600 pulls up next to you, that guy inside opens the window and says, hey your Zonda has the same engine as my winter beater, and I only paid $2000 for it. How do you feel?

Even when I know the engines are not exactly the same, one is tuned by AMG and one isn't but the basic engine block is the same one and a lot of the parts are shared too. I KNOW I am going to be extremely pissed. That's is the reason I didn't like the Zonda.

Though crowd !

And saying the Porsche 928 is exclusive in a Pagani Zonda 760RS thread mail

--

Morgan Aero 8

- considering that the Enzo needs a service every 3000 miles and for the F1 it costs 30k to service - I would be happy to have a Merc engine in my supercar.....

spudgun:

And saying the Porsche 928 is exclusive in a Pagani Zonda 760RS thread mail

Morgan Aero 8

Main Entry: exclusive  [ik-skloo-siv, -ziv]

(literally) Excluding items or members that do not meet certain conditions

(figuratively) Referring to a membership organisation, service or product: of high quality and/or reknown

Synonyms: limited

I was not referring to current price tags when I used the term  "exclusive", but rather to the meanings above But in a thread where the mention of dubious looking kit cars is a topic I MUST defer to you.. Smiley

racerx: the Sound of a great N/A engine is what the fun is about in these cars (similar to an air show, fireworks, even guns, and thunder storms)

this one belongs here the best stradale clip I have seen, listen to the downshift before you can see it, turn up volume.

It just cracks me up that in almost every post, regardless of the topic, you bring up the Porsche 928. Even if the topic would be ' Medieval floor tiles', you would find a way to smuggle the old 928 right in. Keep it up! 

--

Morgan Aero 8

I actually try to avoid it as much as possible.

winkkiss

spudgun:

It just cracks me up that in almost every post, regardless of the topic, you bring up the Porsche 928. Even if the topic would be ' Medieval floor tiles', you would find a way to smuggle the old 928 right in. Keep it up! 

lol, ²nd rhat. Smiley

RC:
    BjoernB:

RC did you hear this ? LH ordered a manual !smiley(couldn't resist indecision)

Give him some years...to get wiser. Smiley

On a more serious note: His daily drivers are AMG models, so maybe he wanted something different for a change.

At least I have a C63 AMG like LH...do you? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

- I am more into Porsches indecision plus I can drive a manual indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690565 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409813 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256050 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235289 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65670 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774763 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM