Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche PSE + Carnewal device + SW bypass muffler

Yesterday I installed the Sharkwerks bypass muffler on my car car which has already PSE with Carnewal device. For the record I bought my 911 without PSE, after two years I decided I wanted more sound on my hears Smiley  and opted for PSE rather than any other aftermarket exhaust. Not being 100% satisfied I contact Gert and bought his device which keeps the PSE on all the time. The ability to have always on the PSE on start up was one of the main advantage, still I thought there was margin for improvement, and after reading a lot about SW bypass muffler, it was Pureblue post who made go for it Smiley thanks buddy Smiley

But I regret I have install the damn thing...ONLY NOW Smiley should have made it after buying the car. The SW bypass gives exactly what I was looking for, it´s on the acceptable sound limit for me, I would even say that on certain rev range it over passes it, it definitely makes more noise now, the burbles and gurgles on downshifts are more pronounced, what a delight, and if you press 1cm the throttle while downshifting, that tipycal sound PSE makes it´s so much more alive because the gurgles and burbles are louder and rawer.

Starting the engine in the morning inside the garage it´s fun fun fun Smiley, the SW bypass don´t change dramatically PSE sound, it emphasizes all sound it makes, making it louder and audible at all rev range, but specially from 1500 to 4500rpm is where you feel the dif in sound, after 4500rpm the difference is not that big, still you feel it´s a bit raspier.

Alex from SW has a 5 star service, it wouldn´t take more than 5 minutes to respond to every question I made by email, always very helpful to clear and explain any doubts. The bypass came without a scratch inside a box. It had a protected proper material inside(don´t know the eact name in English). Shipping was fast too, so I have only good things to say about his service.

Gert from Carnewal is also professional, but when he says there´s no difference with a bypass muffler I can only deduce he NEVER heard one, the difference is clearly there. Someone also mention that this SW bypass removes the tipycal engine Porsche sound, again I doubt he has heard it, I can even say the bypass emphasizes it, making it louder and more alive, Porsche sound is what you get Smiley With top down, or top up and windows down it´s pure pleasure to hear it. Today I was playing on some empty roads and it just puts a smile on the face. Most of the time I press the brake pedal with my left foot and keep the right foot on the throttle while downshifting and WOW the blips it makes is to die for, again not dif, just LOUDER Smiley

To Gnil, bluelines and all the others than are in doubt about this system , go for it, I´m sure you wont regret it, for sure on my Cab the difference is bigger than on your coupes, but you will love it, it´s loud enough to be notice. And if you don´t like it , you can give it back to Alex, actually this was the first question I made to Alex, and he said no problem , I could return it just after, but I wont Smiley.

I made some videos today, it doesn´t do it justice, anyway if you have some headphones use it while hearing, it helps to provide a more realistic sound, still far away from the real one, and where the bypass really shines is on the road. I will try to make some videos tomorrow while on the road and posted here later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZl0XW_6U8

Inside the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC5vICCiG7M

J.Seven

Re: Porsche PSE + Carnewal device + SW bypass muffler

Love the sound!

kiss

Great! Thanks so much for the detailed write up and confirmation the bypass pipes makes a difference. Not that I ever doubted they did, but others seemed to do Smiley

J.Seven:

To Gnil, bluelines and all the others than are in doubt about this system , go for it, I´m sure you wont regret it, for sure on my Cab the difference is bigger than on your coupes, but you will love it, it´s loud enough to be notice. And if you don´t like it , you can give it back to Alex, actually this was the first question I made to Alex, and he said no problem , I could return it just after, but I wont Smiley.

J.Seven

No doubt here, I just need to press that order button in PayPal Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Is that video a start-up from cold or when the engine is warmed up?   

How do you view the issue of adverse effect on your warranty?

Many thanks for posting the sound clips..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Is that video a start-up from cold or when the engine is warmed up?   

How do you view the issue of adverse effect on your warranty?

Many thanks for posting the sound clips..

John H, both start up are with warm engine, with cold engine is louder, tomorrow I will post a video on cold start up.

Today a funny thing happend. After I made the video on the garage we went to take a coffee on a bar just outside my garage. The bar owner told me not to be surprise if some of his clients asked me if I had Dinosaurs on my garage, that's what he told them when I was blipping the throttle inside the garage Lol
    Then he kept saying, "hey for me you can make it everyday I love it", wife was with me, she was the one who made the videos and she just said "kids" and shaked her head Lol.

In Europe the warranty is only 2 years, mine has finish already. Although I think this mod doesn't make any arm to the engine, I'm sure Porsche could make your live a mess if some engine problem occurred after this mod, so yes, for those with warranty it's a no move if you want to keep your warrant "clean".
    J.Seven

Great feedback.  I can only echo what you said about Alex's service - prompt, professional and very helpful.  The best money I've ever spent on my 911.  Smiley

Sounds great. kiss The start up sound is way more sporty. The beast wakes up!

From the sound of the clip - if it's a warm engine the sound is impressive.  However if it voids the warranty, or extended warranty, I won't be subscribing...enlightened

I've owned P-cars for over 30 years and found out very early on that, without a warranty, they can be very expensive toys indeed! crying

It's very much a case of head over heart...

--

John H:

From the sound of the clip - if it's a warm engine the sound is impressive.  However if it voids the warranty, or extended warranty, I won't be subscribing...enlightened

It does not void the warranty more than the Carnewal device, does it? Smiley

(It is a 15 min DIY job to switch back to the center silencer if you have access to a car lift and a wrench. Not as quick as the 15 sec it takes to unplug the Carnewal device, but still the bypass is fully reversible.)

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

bluelines:

It does not void the warranty more than the Carnewal device, does it? Smiley

(It is a 15 min DIY job to switch back to the centler siencer if you h access to a car lift and a wrench. Not as quick as the 15 sec it takes to unplug the Carnewal device, but still the bypass is fully reversiaveble.)

It may be so for you, but not all of us share your mechanical skills - mores the pity!! Smiley

Lets hope those fitting the SW don't suffer major problems when stranded somewhere distant waiting for Porsche Assistance... Okay I'm a bit paranoid on this, but then I've been hit hard in the pocket in the past! Smiley

Besides, I really am happy with the way my GTS sounds right now..Smiley

--

John H:

Well John seems you are doubting my word Smiley

Here´s a clip with a cold engine start up, the difference is that the engine after start up it fires up at till 1500rpm and it remains at 1200rpm for a minute or so. While cold, it fires up to 1500rpm and it drops immediatly to 800rpm. Hope this helps to clarify any doubts Smiley.

You will notice after a minute or so the rpm drops a little and then a blip the thottle with, and without PSE on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nN0Lw5ffA0

J.Seven

John H:

Lets hope those fitting the SW don't suffer major problems when stranded somewhere distant waiting for Porsche Assistance... Okay I'm a bit paranoid on this, but then I've been hit hard in the pocket in the past! Smiley

To be honest I am a lot more paranoid about fiddling with the electronics, such as a DME upgrade or the Carnewal device for that matter. If you get a shortcut and the fuse does not protect it could fry the circuit components and your car is toast, literally Smiley

The bypass pipes were added for noise reduction only and should have zero impact on the reliability of the engine. It simply reverts the 997.2 PSE to the 997.1 PSE setup. If you start changing silencers and catalysts too, it is a different story. There have been reports about sport catalysts melting and clogging the pipes which could be very serious for the engine.

But let's not get stuck into that. Let's enjoy the cars Smiley

--

bluelines:
    John H:

To be honest I am a lot more paranoid about fiddling with the electronics, such as a DME upgrade or the Carnewal device for that matter. If you get a shortcut and the fuse does not protect it could fry the circuit components and your car is toast, literally Smiley

The bypass pipes were added for noise reduction only and should have zero impact on the reliability of the engine. It simply reverts the 997.2 PSE to the 997.1 PSE setup. If you start changing silencers and catalysts too, it is a different story. There have been reports about sport catalysts melting and clogging the pipes which could be very serious for the engine.

But let's not get stuck into that. Let's enjoy the cars Smiley

+1.  Fully agree with your view.  As far as the warranty issue is concerned, it is worth noting that many new 911s have been fitted with the SW bypass, especially in the US.  According to Alex, none of his customers has ever had a problem with their warranties.  In my original post on fitting the bypass to my GTS, I mentioned that the local OPC fitted the system for me - after getting it approved by the sole South African Porsche distributor.  I was required to sign a disclaimer stating that the warranty would not cover any damage DIRECTLY CAUSED by fitment of the system (which, as bluelines pointed out above, is highly unlikely).

Is it conceivable that PAG may at some point seek to repudiate this agreement?  I guess so, but in my estimation it was a risk worth taking - in the same way that some of us decide that tracking our cars is a risk worth taking, despite the fact that it may result in voiding of the warranty.  We all make decisions every day which are based on taking calculated risks.  Life would be pretty boring if we all avoided risk of any kind!  Smiley

I'm beginning to tire of this subject but I repeat that, unlike you fortunate individuals in various parts of the globe, OPC's in the UK take an opposite view!!!  They are very strict on this aspect, particularly when it comes to after-market exhaust systems.

I've spoken with Alex (from SW) on several occasions and he regrets the situation in the UK, but agrees it would be foolhardy to take a chance on voiding the warranty given the policy as it's applied over here.

As far as calculated risk-taking is concerned, I'll leave that to the investment bankers (nothing personal PB) - just that you're probably more used to indulging in such activity...

As Bluelines says - let's just enjoy our cars...wink

--

John H:

I'm beginning to tire of this subject but I repeat that, unlike you fortunate individuals in various parts of the globe, OPC's in the UK take an opposite view!!!  They are very strict on this aspect, particularly when it comes to after-market exhaust systems.

I forgot that your UK OPCs have such a strict policy on this (but now remember your previous post on this).  Quite sad really - and strange how much the policies on this issue vary across the world.  When I first approached my OPC about this, they mentioned that they regularly fitted after-market exhaust systems (including Akrapovic and Tubi) to cars still under warranty.  It seemed they had a list of approved exhaust suppliers which they referred to for guidance.

As far as calculated risk-taking is concerned, I'll leave that to the investment bankers (nothing personal PB) - just that you're probably more used to indulging in such activity...

Smiley Or maybe I'm just too dumb to figure the odds. Smiley  Enjoy your car.  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691173 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410246 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858880 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775201 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM