Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 Malaysian F1 Grand Prix at Sepang

If you watched the pre-recorded BBC F1 Forum, Christian Horner clarified the silly radio messages.

When Vettel had a puncture, RBR feared that some of the rubber debris had damaged the radiator on his car so RBR asked him to pit now. Vettel slowed down which enabled his car to cool down a little so there was no longer an immediate need to pit so RBR told him to stay out. Vettel stayed out and got back to speed so the fear of a radiator problem returned ... which led to a repeat of the emergency message.

When I heard it, it all made sense. But then I thought about it. Horner also said that the radio stopped working after lap 10. So how could the 1st message have led to a temperature reduction? Doesn't make sense since Horner said they were communicating with Vettel only by pit boards.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

If you watched the pre-recorded BBC F1 Forum, Christian Horner clarified the silly radio messages.

When Vettel had a puncture, RBR feared that some of the rubber debris had damaged the radiator on his car so RBR asked him to pit now. Vettel slowed down which enabled his car to cool down a little so there was no longer an immediate need to pit so RBR told him to stay out. Vettel stayed out and got back to speed so the fear of a radiator problem returned ... which led to a repeat of the emergency message.

When I heard it, it all made sense. But then I thought about it. Horner also said that the radio stopped working after lap 10. So how could the 1st message have led to a temperature reduction? Doesn't make sense since Horner said they were communicating with Vettel only by pit boards.

Exactly, Horner should of also cleraed the fairytale with Vettel first before Vettle let out that the radio stopped working as well... Horner in his usual self, every two words out of his mouth is a lie.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Atzporsche:

Grosjan is plain stupid this race. Way too over excited and just unreliable. You have a great Q, just take it easy.
    I was very angry when he nailed Schumi out of the race, that is just plain bad luck at the wrong moment for Schumi.

I missed that incident so I have no clue who's fault it was but Grosjean claims it was Schumi who hit him Smiley

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7625416/Grosjean-Schumacher-hit-me

That's just silly crap. Schumi was in front of him on the racing line accelerating out of the corner. Grosjean accelerated out of that same corner on the inside behind Schumi, lost traction causing a sideways movement towards the outside of the turn causing his front left tire to hit Schumi's rear right tire, both spinned out as a consequence. It was not a deliberate action on his part, just a common racing incident. Yet to claim it was Schumi's fault in retrospect is just silly. He'd better state why he has not capitalized points with what seems to be a great chassis this season - the Lotus. Smiley

Grosjean will pick up points, his good enough. He is just too eager at the moment because he believes he has the pace to mix it with the big boys. Patience is the order to him, bit like careless Hamilton last season..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Highly entertaining race. Woke up late and thought I missed most of it... only to realize I joined right before the restart. Thrilling to see what some pilots can do with mediocre cars, Alonso and Perez certainly shining the brightest today. Quite surprised about Raikkonen´s performance as well, didn´t expect him to perform that well that quickly again.

It is actually impressive how well these pilots have coped with the weather, one would expect much more mistakes especially when making the transition from intermediates to slick tires. Not even the rookies made any significant mistakes, which might show the professional attitude with which they already arrive in F1.

Cannot understand some of the comments about Vettel. I actually enjoy that he says the truth in front of the cameras, if he shows frustration he won´t hide it. 

Carlos from Spain:

After this race I would say that the cars now rank as follows in terms of race pace

McLaren
    Red Bull,
    Sauber, Lotus, Mercedes, 
    Ferrari, 
    Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham, Marussia,
    HRT

Don't agree with this one. Where did you get this from?!! Vettel clearly showed that RBR had better pace on dry than Hamilton as he was easily closing on him before he made a contact with HRT. They just need to sort out 1 lap pace and they would be back.

Hate this kind of races, with ''miracle'' wins! I am all for clear dry 'boring' races where the cars can show their real pace. Good job for Alonso but he was lucky that Peres slipped off.

If you read the first sentence of the post you will know were its from.

I prefer these races to a boring dry race were all you see is how fast the cars go in a parade format from beginning to end, instead of seeing the drivers actually being a factor in the race...

--

A car is a huge factor even more so in a wet race, where other car attributes prevail. FA is a great driver no doubt but never underestimate a struck of fortune in these conditions. So this to me is far from a deserved win, more like very lucky! 

dxpetrov:

A car is a huge factor even more so in a wet race, where other car attributes prevail. FA is a great driver no doubt but never underestimate a struck of fortune in these conditions. So this to me is far from a deserved win, more like very lucky! 

FA was lucky to find himself in front. But given that, he handled the race leadership very well with a lot of talent and a lot of brains. He kept the required pace in a car which is not the best in the field and committed no mistakes in the tricky conditions and despite the pressure from Perez. For me it was a champion's performance. Pity Ferrari haven't provided a car (yet?) commensurate with Fernando's ability.

--

"Form follows function"

Vettel calls Karthikeyan an "idiot"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17506568

How come Adam Parr has resigned as Chairman of Williams?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17509231

BBC's Gary Anderson technical analysis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17506004

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Just my opinion - I have separated qualification and the race.

I think this is where the teams stand for (dry) qualification:

McLaren
    Mercedes, Lotus
    Red Bull, Ferrari
    Sauber, Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham
    Marussia
    HRT

Regarding (dry) race pace:

McLaren
    Red Bull
    Ferrari, Lotus
    Sauber, Williams, Mercedes, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham, Marussia
    HRT

Just my 2 cents :)

--

997.1 C2S

dxpetrov:

A car is a huge factor even more so in a wet race, where other car attributes prevail. FA is a great driver no doubt but never underestimate a struck of fortune in these conditions.

??? It is well known that wet conditions levels the playing field and decreases the differences between cars, and this is true of not only F1, but motoGP and any other motorsport held on asfalt. That is racing 101 like lighter is better..
    --

Is
    Carlos from Spain:
    dxpetrov:

A car is a huge factor even more so in a wet race, where other car attributes prevail. FA is a great driver no doubt but never underestimate a struck of fortune in these conditions.

??? It is well known that wet conditions levels the playing field and decreases the differences between cars, and this is true of not only F1, but motoGP and any other motorsport held on asfalt. That is racing 101 like lighter is better..

Without going further this is from the tech anslysis easy just posted:

The Ferrari is not a good car, as everyone in F1 knows, but the damp conditions meant its weaknesses were not as exposed as they are in the dry because the forces through the car are not as great.
    --

easy_rider911:

Just my opinion - I have separated qualification and the race.

I think this is where the teams stand for (dry) qualification:

McLaren
    Mercedes, Lotus
    Red Bull, Ferrari
    Sauber, Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham
    Marussia
    HRT

Regarding (dry) race pace:

McLaren
    Red Bull
    Ferrari, Lotus
    Sauber, Williams, Mercedes, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham, Marussia
    HRT

Just my 2 cents :)

I would agree with the assessment for the quali pace, but would put RBR at least on par with McL on a race day, since we still haven't seen all from both. Judging by the Melbourne race - ML were slightly faster only with Button, but that could be attributed to a clear air ahead he enjoyed. RBR had better dry pace in Malaysia from both Hamilton and Button (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/03/25/2012-malaysian-grand-prix-fastest-laps/) and Vettel would have taken Hamilton for 3rd for sure in last 10 laps. But again, this could be also due to cold track temperatures. Se pretty tough battle ahead between them (once RBR sort out their quali pace). Don't think that Ferrari can improve their car too much - just very wrong concept to my eyes.

The latest I heard is that Ferrari may be designing a brand new car for Barcelona.

--

997.1 C2S

Too little too late.

SF might as well get a new second driver by that time if they want to pick some extra points for the Constructors' Championship. Massa's contract could be easily paid off or he could be given some other status within the team and they could get Perez from Ferrari-engined Sauber without much difficulty.

However in the meantime SF seem to be trying to protect and lift Massa as if he is a depressed schoolgirl yes

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98403

--

"Form follows function"

easy_rider911:

BBC's Gary Anderson technical analysis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17506004

The interesting extract is when Gary Anderson says:

"The word in the paddock is that Ferrari are developing what will effectively be a new car for the Spanish Grand Prix in May - albeit built around the same chassis as the current one. There is talk of new rear aerodynamics, a new exhaust position, and possibly replacing the unique pull-rod suspension with more conventional push-rod. It remains to be seen just how different it actually is."

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Vettel calls Karthikeyan an "idiot"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17506568

I didn’t watch the race, I am not a big fan. But I don’t know if Vettel used the word “idiot”. I read in a German newspaper about  an interview in German. He used the word “Gurke” (=cucumber) which is slang and not very positive. I use “Gurke” sometimes to describe a bad or not satisfying product.

“Idiot” is the wrong too personal translation. Probably Vettel thought “Idiot” but he didn’t use this term.

But I have to admit that I like athletes who say what they think. We have enough politically correct dullards.

He should've used the right words as there is nothing wrong in describing clueless backmarkers as they really are. I said many times, those teams bring nothing to F1, just problems and stupid cost cutting and technology restrictions. There should be no more than 10 teams on the grid.

Itsme:

I didn’t watch the race, I am not a big fan. But I don’t know if Vettel used the word “idiot”. 

Yes, he didSmiley

I am somewhat surprised though that some people see the majority of fault in Vettel. One can clearly see that Karthikeyan made an error in the double-righthander and was on the curbs, he even stayed to the very left when Vettel passed him. I do not see Vettel, in any way, doing a mistake here. Would this have been avoidable if he would´ve left more room? Yes. Was it obvious or entirely necessary for Vettel to leave some room? No.

After all, he lost the points due to this maneuver and therefore I can understand his frustration. Fourth place and approaching Hamilton would´ve resulted in a very solid result, nothing significant but not too much loss.

He was 1.5 sec behind Hamilton, closing down from 4.8 sec after last pit stop, so was more than likely to grab that 3rd from LH. I would be more than frustrated to lose that in any way....

By the way, Karthikeyan received a subsequent 20-second penalty which moves him from 21st to 22nd on the end result.

Ferdie:

I am somewhat surprised though that some people see the majority of fault in Vettel. One can clearly see that Karthikeyan made an error in the double-righthander and was on the curbs, he even stayed to the very left when Vettel passed him. I do not see Vettel, in any way, doing a mistake here. Would this have been avoidable if he would´ve left more room? Yes. Was it obvious or entirely necessary for Vettel to leave some room? No.

It was Karthikeyan's fault IMO because while it was Vettel that also moved over without having clearing Karthiukeyan and viceversa, basically it doesn't matter IMO the backmarkers need to move out of the way more than what they do now, often times they ruin races for drivers by not moving quick enough because they don't wan't to loose any time doing it, backmarkers need to start to get penalised more often for not moving away quick enough even if they have to brake in order to do so. That said, this incident reminds me a lot of what Vettel did to Webber two years ago, when he clipped Webbers nose completely needlessly.

But I think that what people are faulting Vettel is not the incident itself but rather his behaviour and how he handled it, like a spoiled brat IMO (doubt Button or Webber would of done the same), we all seem to have forgotten some of his similar controversial incidents that made him very unpopular at the time, this was before the last two seasons, when everything was easy as pie and its was mr nice guy all the time. Seems like now that he has to actually fight for the win, its back to his old self when he doesn't get it. Kind of reminds me of Alonso back in his early 20's as well, so maybe Vettel will also grow up in a few years too.  He not only called Karthikeyan an "idiot", but he also did this... very classy.

--

I think this was very touching BTW, he could not believe it 

--

Views of Pete Gill (PlanetF1)

http://www.planetf1.com/race-features/7627742/Conclusions-From-Malaysia

--

997.1 C2S

Carlos from Spain:
    Ferdie:

But I think that what people are faulting Vettel is not the incident itself but rather his behaviour and how he handled it, like a spoiled brat IMO (doubt Button or Webber would of done the same), we all seem to have forgotten some of his similar controversial incidents that made him very unpopular at the time, this was before the last two seasons, when everything was easy as pie and its was mr nice guy all the time. Seems like now that he has to actually fight for the win, its back to his old self when he doesn't get it. Kind of reminds me of Alonso back in his early 20's as well, so maybe Vettel will also grow up in a few years too.  He not only called Karthikeyan an "idiot", but he also did this... very classy.

...here a  link to Alonso back in his early 20s... feels like around the corner...;-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JgHo2subg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PE1-VTvB4

Ferdie:
    Itsme:

I didn’t watch the race, I am not a big fan. But I don’t know if Vettel used the word “idiot”. 

Yes, he didSmiley

Ok, stupid. You shouldn’t call colleagues “Idiot” even after he did this mistake and is probably not the best driver.

Did he say "idiot" or something that could be translated/interpreted as idiot? Because in many languages different words have different meanings or rather carry more or less weight. For example idiot is stronger than a fool which is stronger than stupid which is stronger than silly, and so on. For example Vettel could have meant "silly" but said "idiot".

IMO even if Vettel meant "idiot" in the full sense, there are many worse things you could call a backmarker who destroyed your race. In the 80s Piquet used to physically attack this type of drivers and in those less than politically correct times, it was considered good fun!

In a world that even opposing politicians don't often weigh their words against each other we shouldn't expect too much sophistication and  tact in this respect, from a youngster who drives in F1.

--

"Form follows function"

kashmir:

...here a  link to Alonso back in his early 20s... feels like around the corner...;-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JgHo2subg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PE1-VTvB4

All I see is a driver waving a hand at a back-of-the-back mediocre driver who ademently held him up at any cost costing him the championship on that race, while he in turn was not a contender and had nothing to gain except a day on the spotlight for being the one who decided the championship. Yes thats pretty close as to flicking the finguer to a driver and calling him an idiot in front of the press because he was involved on a race incident that cost him just a race and of which he was partially at fault, an incident of which he has been responisble himself several times and ruining other drivier's races himslef... I still remember Kimi and Monaco and how Vettel a non-contender then slammed into Kimi for being reckless and taking out Kimi, who was fighting for the championship. Guess that makes two idiots then, not just Karthikeyan.

Like I said, maybe he will grow up like Alonso did, who's behaviour now is flawless. Even facing great adversity and frustration every weekend because of not having a competitive car for years now, he still has only good things to say about his team everytime they ask him, and gets along with may drivers outside the track like Webber, unlike others. At his 30 yrs of age he's come a long way. Vettel on the other hand is younger and seems like he still needs to grow up, he wasn't a nice guy before his champioships in the track, and he's even been spolied now since, and this is how it shows. Unless he soon gets a car like last season's so that everything is a piece of cake again, the pressure is only going to get bigger and he is not going to have a fun season and we will be seeing more of this side of him.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775586 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440807 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260509 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84937 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879858 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814792 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM