Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2012 Malaysian F1 Grand Prix at Sepang

What a thrilling start to the 2012 season ...

I think the McLaren vs Red Bull fight is going to be fascinating to watch this season ... so much will depend on how much each team can develop its car from one race to the next. McLaren is clearly quicker in qualification but over race distance, it's really close ...

I think the Button vs Hamilton battle will be great to watch ... Hamilton is quicker over a single lap but Button's race craft, his superior intelligence, smooth driving style, calm temperament IMO will all mean that this situation could get very tense and, if Hamilton keeps losing, it will boil over.

I think Lotus could be right up there with Mercedes at this early stage ... IMO they are the 3rd and 4th fastest teams ...

Mercedes badly needs to fix its tyre degradation problem ... I would be surprised if the rear wing is ruled illegal ...

Ferrari needs to improve fast ... the car has raw speed but lacks driveability ... Alonso can drive anything, no matter how bad it is and he can achieve results that the car has no right to achieve. Massa IMO shows how bad the car really is.

It's great to see a close midfield battle between Williams, Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso.

I think it's close between Caterham and Marussia. HRT is sadly far behind everyone else.

Let's see how Sepang goes. It will be much hotter and very humid so warming up the tyres will not be difficult and the track temperature will be a very different factor here. I expect RBR to be a lot more competitive here since I expect it will warm up its tyres far better at Sepang. I think this race could be even closer between McLaren and RBR.

Can't wait!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2012 Malaysian F1 Grand Prix at Sepang

Yes don't forget about the joker Lotus. I think they seem to be definitely in the Williams/Sauber pack. They had an amazing Q P3 and both drivers provide an interesting mix. I expect a battle at the top between McLaren and RBR but I almost feel bad for Lewis.. he seems really down from the way things turned out in Australia. Vettel's comment on how he was confident he would pass LH to get in second didn't help either. More so though, I hope the Mercedes boys can finally get their shit together and get on the podium. The car seems to have a lot of potential, but their mentality in the race performances is just not there... too many mistakes, time wasting in traffic (poor strategy) and reliability problems.

Domenicali and Fry rush back to Maranello from Melbourne instead of going straight to Sepang. Clearly the panic has started at Ferrari.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7611748/Ferrari-bosses-dash-back-to-Maranello

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

Domenicali and Fry rush back to Maranello from Melbourne instead of going straight to Sepang. Clearly the panic has started at Ferrari.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7611748/Ferrari-bosses-dash-back-to-Maranello

As if the results were not expected. Smiley I think that Luca has alredy lost his patience and will start firing people randomly. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Massa to get a new chassis for Sepang ... to see if this was responsible for the car's poor performance in Melbourne. I doubt it is the equipment that is the cause of the problem ...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98220

--

997.1 C2S

To me this is just Massa's team trying to save face... what Massa's excuse for the entire last two seasons? they need to get rid of him pronto and get someone like Perez..

--

I think Perez is near certain to replace him for 2013. From Perez's point of view, IMO he wouldn't want to debut for Ferrari prematurely in 2012 (if Massa is fired early) in a car that is problematic, plus he still needs more time at Sauber to develop before taking on a more high profile, more pressurised role at Ferrari.

I think Alonso will be all too happy for a second fiddle like Perez who will not outshine him. Another little advantage, Perez and Alonso are both Spanish speakers ... so they can chat without others at Ferrari understanding them! It will be an interesting dynamic ... provided of course that Perez does replace Massa, as is rumoured.

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

I think Alonso will be all too happy for a second fiddle like Perez who will not outshine him. Another little advantage, Perez and Alonso are both Spanish speakers ... so they can chat without others at Ferrari understanding them! It will be an interesting dynamic ... provided of course that Perez does replace Massa, as is rumoured.

Agree 100% and I'm sure Alonso, who is now very important to Ferrari because he is the only thing keeping the image boat afloat for Ferrari, has the power to approve or disaprove of who is replacing Massa and will have a say on the matter. Sio thats another plus for Perez.

--

Pre race strategy briefing from James Allen's website

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/how-the-f1-teams-will-approach-the-malaysian-grand-prix/

--

997.1 C2S

Wow, very technical analysis from JA. Very cool stats, should be interesting again hoping for some rain mid-race to mix things up and highlight some real drivers skills. Downforce is very critical on this track, so it'll show a little more how the teams are doing this season with their chassis.

I wonder what incentive Perez would have in coming to Ferrari if Massa is dumped mid-season? Ferrari is certainly a prestigious drive, but he may actually have a better car in the Williams, at least at the start of the season.

I feel as thought it's one of those 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' sort of scenarios...

Ferrari is the most pretigious team in F1, it may not be doing so well right now but its still a step up, the highest, even if its as a second driver. Williams is a stepping stone team in F1, in Ferrari he can have a future, and just joining Ferrari increases his status in F1 tremendously, and salary in the long run as well, not only as a driver but in publicity.  Just all the talk that he main be asked to drive the Ferrari is giving him exposure he would never get in WIlliams.

BTW, Autosprint did a poll on who should be driving the second car, 44,7% said Perez, 27,6%  said Trulli, only 6,6% said Barichello, but only 1,3% said that Massa should continue! why he even started the season in a Ferrari is beyond me.

--

I can't see any vacancy at Williams ... they have 2 drivers in Maldonado and Senna who are already funded by Venezuelan President Chavez and a Brazilian billionaire respectively so they have no need for Perez (who would bring funding from Mexico's Carlos Slim).

IMO Perez should stay put at Sauber for 2012 .. he should bide his time till a vacancy arises at Ferrari for 2013. But who knows how this situation will develop this year? It all depends on how well Massa performs. If Massa does really well, he may well keep the seat beyond 2012. If he performs really badly, Ferrari may fire him early. So ideally, Perez wants Massa to have an average year, not disastrous but nothing special either. IMO this is what we will see ... and comparisons with Alonso will IMO make this the probable outcome.

--

997.1 C2S

Carlos, Ferrari is very loyal to its staff who are loyal to the team, and Massa has been a very loyal team member.

When Massa was injured, Ferrari rewarded Badoer with a race seat for a couple of races just out of loyalty to him. It turned out to be a flop. Badoer is a nice guy but he is a test driver, not a race driver.

Ferrari then picked Fisichella from Force India (where he should have stayed IMO) and Fisichella is still a Ferrari man AFAIK even though he was also very slow in a Ferrari.

This is a very different mentality of honour and loyalty that is now quite old-fashioned in northern Europe. Saving face means a lot to these people so, even when they do remove Massa from a race seat, they will try to do it respectfully. If Massa can get a race seat somewhere else, then that's fine, the transition will be quick. If he cannot, then it would not surprise me to see Ferrari keep Massa in some kind of testing/reserve role.

That's why Ferrari kept Massa for 2012 even though most of us can see his time there should be over.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Fascinating analysis from the BBC's Andrew Benson on Raikkonen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/03/the_two_kimi_raikkonens.html

--

997.1 C2S

Interesting ... Massa dismisses speculation about him getting fired whereas Alonso merely downplays it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17472533

Mercedes's rear wing is legal so the other teams need to hurry and copy it (if they haven't already done so) ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17475179

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

Carlos, Ferrari is very loyal to its staff who are loyal to the team, and Massa has been a very loyal team member.

When Massa was injured, Ferrari rewarded Badoer with a race seat for a couple of races just out of loyalty to him. It turned out to be a flop. Badoer is a nice guy but he is a test driver, not a race driver.

Ferrari then picked Fisichella from Force India (where he should have stayed IMO) and Fisichella is still a Ferrari man AFAIK even though he was also very slow in a Ferrari.

This is a very different mentality of honour and loyalty that is now quite old-fashioned in northern Europe. Saving face means a lot to these people so, even when they do remove Massa from a race seat, they will try to do it respectfully. If Massa can get a race seat somewhere else, then that's fine, the transition will be quick. If he cannot, then it would not surprise me to see Ferrari keep Massa in some kind of testing/reserve role.

That's why Ferrari kept Massa for 2012 even though most of us can see his time there should be over.

I agree completely, its just that IMO that loyalty to Massa was already paid twice over in letting him "occupy" the seat of one of their Ferraris for the entire past season. Allowing him yet a third season is just beyond any reasonable loyalty IMO even for Ferrari. His manager is jean Todt's son... I don't know if there are other factors in play...

--

Yep, I have never understood how there can be no conflict of interest in some of these cases in F1. People are team principals of one team while being managers of a driver for another team etc or they have a certain job and a close family member is assisting someone else. It's very interconnected.

This is a fascinating description of how the Mercedes F-duct in its DRS works and how it helps Mercedes in qualification but doesn't help as much in the race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17484900

This is incredible. Mercedes is carrying out audio analysis of RBR's engine cut off through corners under braking to see if it's legal. What teams do in F1 never ceases to amaze me.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7618732/-Red-Bull-engine-mapping-legal-

--

997.1 C2S

McLaren looks like they have the car to beat in qualification. Interestingly, Hamilton appears to have set up his car for the fastest qualification lap whereas Button has gone for a set up that he thinks will help him more over a race distance.

Although it will be hot and very humid, I think the rain could be a decisive factor this weekend. It could affect qualification and/or the race. It could wipe out whatever performance advantage McLaren have.

Can't wait to watch it :)

--

997.1 C2S

Practice lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705705.stm

--

997.1 C2S

Thanks Easy!

--

There is no try. Just do.

Looks to me like the early 2012 pecking order is something like this

McLaren
    Mercedes, Red Bull
    Lotus, Ferrari
    Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Force India
    Caterham
    Marussia, HRT

--

997.1 C2S

I think McLaren has the fastest car in qualification followed next by Mercedes.

RBR is not as quick in qualification but is better than Mercedes in the race (since Mercedes's F-duct gives less help then).

Lotus hasn't shown its full potential yet and Ferrari is struggling.

The midfield is very close. It's impossible to separate Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso and Force India.

The interesting thing is that Caterham has opened up a substantial gap between itself and Marussia. I still don't think Caterham can reach the midfield but they have done really well.

Marussia is certainly quicker than HRT but both teams are just trying to qualify within the 107% rule. I think Marussia should manage it every time. I think HRT could perhaps manage it this weekend.

It's great to see the podium battle between McLaren, Mercedes and RBR and then the next battle involving Lotus and Ferrari who are both IMO not quite quick enough to challenge for the podium and then finally the cut-throat midfield battle where the cars are quite evenly matched and where most of the drivers are either rookies or still inexperienced (Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Force India).

It will be interesting to watch how this situation develops as teams bolt on more developments and upgrades.

I am disappointed by Charles Pic so far. He seems very slow all weekend in Melbourne and now in Practice 1 and 2 in Sepang. I'm not sure whether his F1 career will be a success.

This looks like it is already shaping up to be a superb season to relish and remember.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

This is incredible. Mercedes is carrying out audio analysis of RBR's engine cut off through corners under braking to see if it's legal. What teams do in F1 never ceases to amaze me.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7618732/-Red-Bull-engine-mapping-legal-

Amazing. I remember De La Rosa talking about these things last season and he said that all the teams had microphones all over the track to listen to the rival team's engines and through the sound derive the rpm they were hittng and were, and more information...

--

easy_rider911:

McLaren looks like they have the car to beat in qualification. Interestingly, Hamilton appears to have set up his car for the fastest qualification lap whereas Button has gone for a set up that he thinks will help him more over a race distance.

Although it will be hot and very humid, I think the rain could be a decisive factor this weekend. It could affect qualification and/or the race. It could wipe out whatever performance advantage McLaren have.

Can't wait to watch it :)

Smiley Will also be interesting to see how the mechanics of the cars hold up since its a very demanding track on the cars and the cars this reason may not turn to be as reliable as last season, and may play a role for some teams Smiley

--

If you saw 2nd Practice today, they showed some mechanics working on the car. They were literally dripping with sweat from their foreheads. It must be exhausting work in that heat and humidity.

--

997.1 C2S

Unfortunate news that are related to what we are just talking about to mechanical problems and reliability: Kimi had to change the gearbox so he will loose 5 places on the grid on Sunday with respect to his qualifying position. 

--

That's really unfortunate. One thing hasn't changed then ... Raikkonen continues to suffer bad luck.

--

997.1 C2S

Qualification lap times:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705709.stm

McLaren's second successive 1-2 in Qualification merely confirms that they have the fastest car over a single lap.

Interesting tactics from Vettel doing his fastest Q3 lap on Prime (Hard) tyres.

Some interesting gaps: over 0.5 sec gap between Ricciardo & Vergne in Q1 and between Perez & Kobayashi in Q2.

Alonso was faster in Q2 than he was in Q3. I'm not sure why that happened.

Starting grid:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705706.stm

--

Even the "Lotus-Renault" are clearly faster that the Ferrari, that says it all about Ferrari's incomptence....

Seems like the McLarens confirm that they are one step above the rest. Its up to their drivers to take advantage of it or not.

Seeing how the Lotus can be quick, I'm looking foward to seeing kimi climb up from the back. And lkely the opposite will happen with the Mercedes IMO due to tires.

Lets hope Webber has a good start for once!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691198 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410270 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775238 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM