Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Much improved PSE exhaust sound on my GTS..

John H:

That can't be right Gnil.  The one thing everyone agrees about is that the default position of the flaps is CLOSED.  That's why, without the Remote Device, the car starts up with PSE off - until the switch is pressed.  There can't be any difference, can there, between the 997.2 S, which you and Bluelines have, and the GTS which RC & I have..yes

BTW - what did the mechanic have to say about your sticking left PSE flap and the 'black stuff'?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I guess you got the explanations by Bluelines . 

The best way to find out by yourself is to unplug the fuse ( the one where you put the Carnewal device in ) and listen to your exhaust.  Normally it will be open .

I have to go back to have the flaps repaired as they need to dismount the bumper . The mechanic said it is probably a valve  ( not the flaps ) that is pierced. He has seen it on other cars.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

The mechanic said it is probably a valve  ( not the flaps ) that is pierced. He has seen it on other cars.

Yes, I was thinking about this before due to the number of people who have reported one or both flaps stuck. It is most likely a faulty valve or leak in the vacuum pipe which causes air in the pipe and hence the flap remains in the default (open) position.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

So, the result of all of this is... I could have got the same improved sound by unplugging the solenoid connector as I get by installing the Carnewal Device...?

Never mind, the Device is a tidier solution and I still have the remote to turn off PSE if I want to.  Also it's easier to use the remote occasionally, to prevent the flaps from sticking, than un-plugging and re-plugging the solenoid....

--

John H:

So, the result of all of this is... I could have got the same improved sound by unplugging the solenoid connector as I get by installing the Carnewal Device...?

Never mind, the Device is a tidier solution and I still have the remote to turn off PSE if I want to.  Also it's easier to use the remote occasionally, to prevent the flaps from sticking, than un-plugging and re-plugging the solenoid....

I tried that yesterday...again...and it didn't work. Sound was muted. I can't exclude that my exhaust is defective but since it gets loud, when I press the sport button...well... Smiley

Btw: According to my mechanic, the default position is closed. What now ? Smiley Smiley

Maybe we are overlooking something here... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The device is a better solution then unplugging / re-plugging as you can ' silence' the exhaust immediately ( late a t night through my village for example )

But, yes, just unplugging will do the job...in 3 seconds and 0 $

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

The device is a better solution then unplugging / re-plugging as you can ' silence' the exhaust immediately ( late a t night through my village for example )

But, yes, just unplugging will do the job...in 3 seconds and 0 $

So why doesn't it work on my car ? Smiley Yes, I checked again (washed the car yesterday, did a couple of kms to keep the battery OK). If there is something wrong, the exhaust flaps shouldn't work at all but they do. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    I tried that yesterday...again...and it didn't work. Sound was muted. I can't exclude that my exhaust is defective but since it gets loud, when I press the sport button...well... Smiley

Btw: According to my mechanic, the default position is closed. What now ? Smiley Smiley

Strange ...strange . We should now organize a conference call between OPC mechanics Smiley

Maybe they changed it on the last versions of GTS ????? But that would be strange...... So Smiley Smiley

Fact is in our cars , default ( meaning plug pulled ) is open and on yours it is closed .... strange, strange

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Maybe, after all...there is a difference between the 997.2S and the GTS....yes

--

John H:

Maybe, after all...there is a difference between the 997.2S and the GTS....yes

This would be weird but can't be excluded. Smiley

--

RC:
    John H:

I am guessing it is just misunderstandiing the term "default". In 997.1, when the engine if OFF, the "default" of the flap is in "OPEN" position. It will take about a few seconds for the pressure to build up after "starting" the engine before the flap is forced to "close" position. This is why the 997 equipped with PSE is always louder when starting the engine as compared to the non PSE equipped 997...Smiley

John H:

Yes same sound, but as already pointed out by Gnil, a highly unpractical solution Smiley

Even if one decided to unplug for a longer time, it would be good to cover the connector with "something". Or it will get dirty and maybe even break. Hence Gert's device is good advice for quick switching and not breaking the connector Smiley

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

sand8dune:
    RC:
    John H:

I am guessing it is just misunderstandiing the term "default". In 997.1, when the engine if OFF, the "default" of the flap is in "OPEN" position. It will take about a few seconds for the pressure to build up after "starting" the engine before the flap is forced to "close" position. This is why the 997 equipped with PSE is always louder when starting the engine as compared to the non PSE equipped 997...Smiley

+1 Smiley

--

I´ve order the Sharkwerks bypass and it should arrive next Monday. Will only do the install a week later as I´m out of my country now. Can´t waite to hear the difference it will make. Suplier said it gives additional 12Hp which is way to optimist figure,maybe 3 or 4hp with luck ;), but I really don´t care about power gains with this mod, I just don´t want to loose torque at low revs and have a richier sound at low revs too. J.Seven

Good luck with the SW exhaust, don't forget to post your impressions on the sound once you've fitted it...kiss

--

Looking forward to your report !

BTW : Yesterday I listened very carefully to my exhaust . Opened the window, and had my head half out to really have the best audition possible.

The car was completely cold as it was the first morning ignition . Flaps were open ( with Carnewal device ) The sound was actually very impressive . Loud ( nearly too much ) and so  many of these  metal noises in the ' marmite ' . Very nice ! I then drove off , slowly down my drive way. The noise still was as loud and lots of puffing and crackling . Then I hit the main street, and slowly the noise got quieter . The crackling and metal sounds stopped and the exhaust sounded more muted.   So, to me, even with the flaps open permanently there is something that make the exhaust quieter after a minute or two of driving. Is it that the heat changes the flow ? Is it because  there is more petrol + air pumped into the engine when cold ( starter ) and when that stops the regulated DFI is so flowing that the noise gets quieter ? Is something closing in the intake ?

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I have noticed exactly the same behavior with my 997.2 PSE and 987.1 PSE (non-DFI). Both are impressively loud the first few minutes. Especially noticeable on the 987.1 because it sounds a lot more like a 911 and has distinct pops and rumbles. Unfortunately it all goes away quickly laugh

Would be interesting to understand why and if there is a way to keep it in "loudness" mode indecision

--

bluelines:

I have noticed exactly the same behavior with my 997.2 PSE and 987.1 PSE (non-DFI). Both are impressively loud the first few minutes. Especially noticeable on the 987.1 because it sounds a lot more like a 911 and has distinct pops and rumbles. Unfortunately it all goes away quickly laugh

Would be interesting to understand why and if there is a way to keep it in "loudness" mode indecision

You are correct that the exhaust is louder than "normal" for a few minutes after cold starting the engine. Both 997.1 and DFI (the DFI in this case is my 08 CS) behave this way. I think the reason is that the ECU commands for a richer mixture in order to get the CAT to heat up faster to reduce emission. This can be proof when starting the engine warm, the exhaust loudess is "normal" (the CAT is already hot).

Gnil:

Yesterday I listened very carefully to my exhaust . Opened the window, and had my head half out to really have the best audition possible.

The car was completely cold as it was the first morning ignition . Flaps were open ( with Carnewal device ) The sound was actually very impressive . Loud ( nearly too much ) and so  many of these  metal noises in the ' marmite ' . Very nice ! I then drove off , slowly down my drive way. The noise still was as loud and lots of puffing and crackling . Then I hit the main street, and the noise got quieter.

Was your head still half out of the window when you hit the main street?   Smiley Smiley

--

John H:
    Gnil:

Yesterday I listened very carefully to my exhaust . Opened the window, and had my head half out to really have the best audition possible.

The car was completely cold as it was the first morning ignition . Flaps were open ( with Carnewal device ) The sound was actually very impressive . Loud ( nearly too much ) and so  many of these  metal noises in the ' marmite ' . Very nice ! I then drove off , slowly down my drive way. The noise still was as loud and lots of puffing and crackling . Then I hit the main street, and the noise got quieter.

Was your head still half out of the window when you hit the main street?   Smiley Smiley

Smiley   My first main street is still a little village road Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hi Guys, I was finaly able to install the SW bypass, and came here to just to say it´s WORTH IT SmileyCame yesterday after being 2 months away and second thing I did after being with my love ones was leaving the car at the exhaust garage Smiley  Don´t have much time now, but will make a new post with videos and my personal thougths about it meanwhile I would say the dif. after SW bypass is 100% noticeble and the roar it´s just AMAZING...really

J.Seven

Glad to hear you like it (and a little relieved, to be honest, as I encouraged you to get it). 

Looking forward to the videos.  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689935 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409431 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255838 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858184 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774294 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM