Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne

If you think that Massa lost the Title to LH in the last corner of the last  race in 2008, he is a totally different driver now.

Perhaps, after his injury in 2009 he never recovered psychologically.  Many drivers and  athletes in general are so affected after serious injuries. That is why I have Niki Lauda very high on my list of all-time greats.

--

"Form follows function"

throt:
    Atzporsche

From this race it appears the teams have lined up in packs as follows:

McLaren/ RBR

Mercedes/ Ferrari?

Ferrari/ Williams/ Lotus

You meant,,

Alonso / Mercedes Smiley..

SmileySmiley I was just going to say that.

Three drivers stood out today IMO

- Button for an absolutely flawless race, brilliant in every aspect of the race, from the start to finsih, very impressive. SmileySmileySmileySmiley 
    Hamilton after the pole was thinking he was going to be the star of the show and within McLaren, and Button's driving today made him look like an amateur Smiley 30 Its going to be a tough day for Hamilton today.

- Vettel for managing to climb up from 6th to 2nd, no mistakes. While Webber while having a RBR only climbing one. Webber's achilles heel is his slow starts, but still not a bad result and looked good.

- And of course Alonso, for coming from the back in 12th all the way to 5th, and not on a McLaren or RBR, but on... a Ferrari Smiley 28 
    He drove 58 qualifying laps during the race without any mistakes to get that car on 5th. I think all the engineers and mechanics at Ferrari's box are hidding right now in case LdM drops by after the race whistling.gifSmiley 27

Good to see the Mercedes being competitive. Will McLaren be the next RBR this season?...

--

Yep fully agree with that. It's sad that Ferrari doesn't offer their #2 seat to a fresh young face... especially now that they are in the mid of the pack anyways. Alonso did a superb race, but let's call it 6th broken heart Fully agree with your 3 drivers standing out. Others really had a chance to shine but messed up their opportunity (the Williams and Lotus guys). Let's hope they along with Mercedes provide good performance to make the next race really interesting!

Right! Would be fantastic if we had RBR/McLaren/Merc/Ferrari on a similar playing field all taking points back and forth from each other all season with the championship being up for grabs right till the end kiss  ... I'll keep dreamin' tongue.png

--

Heist:
    Ferrari has been struggling to find the pace the last 4 years. They have had cars that do not dominate in any performance metric. Alonso is beginning to tire of the lack of performance.

Three years actually. In 2009 they won the Championship. 2012 is going to be the fourth dismal year in a row though.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    Heist:
    Ferrari has been struggling to find the pace the last 4 years. They have had cars that do not dominate in any performance metric. Alonso is beginning to tire of the lack of performance.

Three years actually. In 2009 they won the Championship. 2012 is going to be the fourth dismal year in a row though.

It's only the first race Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I think they should really drop Massa. I know Ferrari is always a one driver team, the other working for him but this second driver could serve a new function in that. Get a young and knowledgeable guy in the second seat and actively involve him in R&D and rely on his feedback and have him run as much as possible. Massa is way over his prime... a wasted seat IMvHO

Massa instead of helping is being an anchor IMO

--

I'm curious what you think of the incident with Massa and Senna at the end. From my POV, watching the footage a couple of times, it looked like actual road rage. It appears that  Massa wasn't satisfied with driving Senna off the track but kept pushing him (perhaps to make him back off?) and then Senna pushed the two of them back on track.

Did it appear that way to anyone else? Smiley

IF that's what happened -- and IF I ran that team -- that would simply be the last time he ever sat in a Scuderia car.Smiley

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

It really did seem that Massa at first made a deliberate move to push him off the track... seen by their sudden move to the right. But then after, I think they were sort of glued or locked and the movement back to the track really is just a consequence of how they had their steering and/or who moved in what way to get unglued. The first bit seems very much like road rage and it will have consequences for Massa.

I hope you're right. I have a lot of respect for Massa and hate to see him burning out as he seems to be.

Here's the other thing I didn't quite follow -- maybe need to go back and watch it again -- how did Hamilton lose his place to Vettel once the safety car came out? Was in simply the differential in the pit times? Or was it that, having pitted during the SC period he was able to rejoin the queue where he left it?

Hamilton was beside himself in the post race interviews. Could barely speak and was completely lost in his emotional state.

--

REALZEUS:
    Heist:

I think you meant to write 2008.Smiley

--

What a great race ... really enjoyed it ...

Gary Anderson's technical analysis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17421227

Andrew Benson's blogs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17419682

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/03/albert_park_melbourne_statemen.html

RBR and Lotus seek FIA clarification on Mercedes rear wing

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98184

How long can Massa last?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/03/alonsos-save-highlights-massas-plight/

Korean GP saved

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7608434/-Cheap-deal-for-Korean-GP-

Will the Bahrain GP go ahead?

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7605887/Ecclestone-admits-Bahrain-concerns

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Button was superb.

Hamilton's slow start cost him badly and he was unlucky to lose 2nd due to the safety car that allowed Vettel to exit the pits before him.

Hamilton looked really miserable. He said all the right things pre-season. I wonder how long the smiles will last? He was very quiet in the post race interviews and was careful not to make any outbursts.

Vettel made the most of his race going from 6th to 2nd is a great achievement.

Webber too had a solid race.

I certainly think McLaren has edged ahead of RBR but the gap is small, small enough to fluctuate through the season.

Alonso performed a miracle ... he outperformed that car while Massa's performance reflects where the car really is.

Schumi and Rosberg were both disappointing in the race given how quick the car was in qualification.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see how quick Williams, Sauber and Toro Rosso are now. Perez was superb coming from last on the grid to a top 10 finish. Kobayashi too was very good getting 6th.

Raikkonen did so well on his return coming from a poor qualification to finish 7th. He didn't look rusty on his comeback like Schumi was. A pity for Grosjean that he retired so early. I think he has a lot of potential.

Di Resta got a point but IMO Hulkenberg was quicker before he retired from the race. I think it will be a question of time before Di Resta is overshadowed.

Vergne and Ricciardo both made solid debuts for STR.

I was surprised to see how slow Caterham remained. Marussia too were OK but nothing more than that.

Thank goodness HRT didn't meet the 107% rule. They were so slow it would have been dangerous.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Qualification lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705368.stm

Race result

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9705366.stm

--

997.1 C2S

I love reading your race summaries, Easy! wink

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thrilling season ahead and I agree with you, Easy, it will be fascinating to see the fluctuation of form since both McL and RBR are so close together... At least in race trim for now! RBR must sort out the car ASAP if they want to defend the title as the grid position is crucial for the victory!

Rossi:

I love reading your race summaries, Easy! wink

+1 Smiley Thanks Easy Smiley

--

+2

--

Carrageous:
    REALZEUS:
    Heist:

Quite right sir! 2009 was an abysmal year. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Carrageous:

I hope you're right. I have a lot of respect for Massa and hate to see him burning out as he seems to be.

Here's the other thing I didn't quite follow -- maybe need to go back and watch it again -- how did Hamilton lose his place to Vettel once the safety car came out? Was in simply the differential in the pit times? Or was it that, having pitted during the SC period he was able to rejoin the queue where he left it?

Hamilton was beside himself in the post race interviews. Could barely speak and was completely lost in his emotional state.

That's relatively simple due to their respective position on the track at the time of the SC. LH had just passed the finish line and SV was just coming into the last turns, allowing the quick move into the pits. LH therefore spent almost an entire lap more cruising at SC speed while SV used that same time to do a regular pit-stop.

REALZEUS:
    Carrageous:
    REALZEUS:
    Heist:

Quite right sir! 2009 was an abysmal year. Smiley

Not for Brawn! SmileySmiley

--

Atzporsche:
    Carrageous:

That's relatively simple due to their respective position on the track at the time of the SC. LH had just passed the finish line and SV was just coming into the last turns, allowing the quick move into the pits. LH therefore spent almost an entire lap more cruising at SC speed while SV used that same time to do a regular pit-stop.

Just so I understand ... so Jensen pitted but got out ahead of  Vettel. Then Lewis pitted and came out behind Vettel. And then that lap, the SC comes out ... and that allowed Vettel to pit and come out and retake his original position in behind the SC. Is that right?

--

No,

Jenson and Hamilton pitted and both got behind SV, and then he pitted and just got behind JB and passed LH.

Interesting analysis from Planet F1

http://www.planetf1.com/race-features/7609129/Conclusions-From-The-Aussie-GP

--

997.1 C2S

Very nice indeed. Thanks Easy!

--

There is no try. Just do.

easy_rider911:

Interesting analysis from Planet F1

http://www.planetf1.com/race-features/7609129/Conclusions-From-The-Aussie-GP

Thanks Easy! that was one of the best analysis I have read in a while, I will keep an eye on this writer. His points on all drievers were spot on, even the one about Sergio Perez was very interesting.

--

I shall make a habit of reading Planet F1 kiss

Button brings some fresh air in F1 in spite of being 32 and a 12 year veteran.

I hope we'll watch a three-way battle in 2012 with Button-Vettel-Alonso. I don't want to believe that Ferrari cannot sort their car out very soon.

--

"Form follows function"

Very good start to the year ! 

disappointed by Ferrari, I hope they sort their situation out soon so they can get back on the competitive edge. I somehow feel like Massa will be out soon, he didn't get a chance to do a lot on the race but still.

JB is by far my favorite driver, his only flaw is not being in my favorite team indecision  but apparently McL have done a fantastic job with the car so I hope he keeps up the good work and can go on to the title. He just seems like a genuinely cool guy. Apparently looking good also makes a car faster, make it black and it would be unbeatable indecision

It'll be interesting to see SV playing catchup instead of having clean runs, this puts into perspective his competitive driving ability and not just his ability to drive fast when given clean air. That said he did run a pretty good race, no argument there. 

It's going to be a good season !!

dxpetrov:

No,

Jenson and Hamilton pitted and both got behind SV, and then he pitted and just got behind JB and passed LH.

Thanks, THAT is the part that was missing for me.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM