Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F1 coverage in the UK moves to Sky Sports

Yup :)

Have you noticed that the BBC has hardly done anything so far apart from web news & articles? Even though BBC TV coverage only starts with the Chinese GP, one would expect them to do a pre-season build up too. It really shows how the BBC's attention has shifted away now that there is much less money for F1 TV coverage and it is most certainly now on the Olympics.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Now for some reason which I don't quite understand, but that Georgie Thompson bird is floating my boat for some reason...  I wouldn't put her in my Top 20 but there is something about her which quite appealing. kiss

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Maybe it's the leather skirt she has been wearing :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

After finishing a 2 year relationship with Dec (from Ant & Dec) I think she's available...

Georgie-Thompson-Feet-365410.jpg

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Personally, I think she looks really ordinary but the fact that she went out with someone like Dec means she's just fallen even further in my estimation.

--

997.1 C2S

lol, I hear what your saying because I kind of feel the same. The Ant n Dec connection is a little tough to take it for sure.  Dunno really, I don't know what it is, maybe ordinary is good sometimes...perhaps that's it. yes

Anyway, watching her now on Sky F1 HD... kiss

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

:)

Mate, I'm just glad you're enjoying the F1 coverage on Sky.

I recorded Practice 1 and 2 overnight so I will watch them when I get home.

In the meantime, it's been great to watch Practice Replays on Sky GO on my iPad using WiFi at the office :)

--

997.1 C2S

I listened to a couple of interviews she did - and credit goes to her - she was well briefed and knew what she was talking about - not just a blonde to decorate the TV studio ;)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Well I'm missing the Martin Brundell and David Coulthard commentary, even if it is just the practice...Not too keen on tweedle dum and tweedle dee at the moment.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

I'm a subscriber to Sky HD (but not Sky Sports), but when I switch to the Sky F1 channel, it's prompting me to upgrade to the Sports package... wtf is going on mail

assman!!!:

I'm a subscriber to Sky HD (but not Sky Sports), but when I switch to the Sky F1 channel, it's prompting me to upgrade to the Sports package... wtf is going on mail

You have to upgrade your viewing package. As you say, the "Sky Sports" package, which is needed for the F1..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Well I'm subscribed to the Sports Package as I enjoy all of their sports coverage, but I think Easy said he had HD but not Sports and still gets the F1 channel okay...yes   Dreamcar also suggested as much.   Assman needs to call the help line...

--

assman!!!:

I just added the HD option back to my standard subrsciption which is an extra £10.25 or whatever it is.  If you have the HD subscription with Sky, you get F1 HD free.

I do not have Sky Sports or Movies just the basic package which costs £20 or so + the HD subscription.  So I pay about £32 overall I believe it is. So, you should be getting it as you don't have to subscribe to Sky Sports.

http://f1.sky.com/get-it-now

Free for both new and existing customers
    taking HD or Sky Sports 1 & 2 (Sky TV required)

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

Plaudits must go to Sky for not running adverts, neither during qualification sessions nor the race itself - unlike ITV used to do....kiss

--

Oh,, okay then.. Different set up packages on Virgin..

I must say I miss Coulthard, Eddie and Jake...Out of the 2, Sky and the Beeb, I go with the BBC purely for the commentary.. 

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

ResB is right ... if you subscribe directly with Sky, you get Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports F1 HD free if you have a basic Sky Entertainment Pack plus Sky HD subscription. Having Sky Sports 1 and 2 is not necessary ...

Perhaps it's different if you have Virgin Media or BT Vision ...

--

997.1 C2S

I'm a gone case ... I watched Practice 1, 2, 3, Qualification and the Race on Sky plus I watched Qualification and the Race again on the BBC :)

I wanted to compare them for myself ... it's only been one weekend so it's too soon to judge Sky ... my first impressions are very good :)

If you think back to the past 3 years of BBC F1 coverage on TV 2009-2011, they just got better and better each year ... 2011 was the best F1 coverage I have ever experienced ... So hopefully Sky will also improve further with time ...

In 2011, I loved the chemistry in the paddock with Jake Humphrey, David Couthard and Eddie Jordan ... commentary from Martin Brundle with analysis from David Coulthard ... Brundle's grid walk ... the F1 Forum for more informal post race chit chat ... Ted Kravitz in the pit lane ... I loved the Fleetwood Mac theme ... made my hair stand on end ... driver tracker online ... full coverage online and on iPlayer ...

The first 2 years on the BBC, we had to put up with Jonathan Legard yelling his brain dead race commentary, making obvious comments and missing basic observations that we could see for ourselves ... that was 2009 and 2010 ... Legard was the only achilles heel ... the perfect year was 2011 ... sadly, the money ran out ...

Coming back to this year's coverage, I think Brundle and Damon Hill make a good team ... very good IMO but not quite as good as the BBC paddock presenters ... I just think the combination of Humphrey, Couthard and Jordan is still better ... I also think Simon Lazenby has also made a very good start .. he's a pleasant guy who hosts almost as well as Jake Humphrey ... he even had an iPad in his hand :)

In the race, I think David Croft is fine ... doesn't get carried away but could be more observant ... Brundle is also better as co-commentator and analyst rather than lead commentator ...

I'm glad Brundle did his grid walk BUT he seemed to get fewer interviews this time ... maybe some of the drivers have not yet heard of Sky Sports F1? Perhaps they don't treat it as an important channel ... yet.

The female interviewer, Natalie Pinkham: she's not bad ... but not as good as Lee Mackenzie IMO.

I like Anthony Davidson's analysis ... he knows so much ... I think he works well with Georgie Thompson but I would question whether they really need 2 people on that SkyPad screen ... I think Georgie Thompson is a little superfluous there ...

Ted Kravitz as ever was great in the pit lane ... I think we need to hear more from him ...

I couldn't try out the iPad and online extras this weekend ... I had an outage on my broadband connection from Sat 0600 which I am hoping will be fixed tonight ...

It's so clear that Sky has copied all the best aspects of the BBC's coverage .. which is great BUT it's hard to replicate the style and flair with different people ... there is just a different chemistry. DC dresses well and EJ has loud shirts ... I hope Sky will show a little flair!

The music set pieces on the BBC were just better ... Sky's coverage is still new and finding its way ... it has copied the best of the BBC's coverage but it needs to develop its own style and its own features ...

I just don't want to see it limited to a functional style of coverage that one sees with other sports on Sky ... it's almost as if Sky has a certain brand style ...

I had to mention that the BBC's new lead commentator is unbearable. Ben Edwards? OMG. He makes odd noises ... as if this conveys the excitement to us. He sounds like Jonathan Legard's younger brother. It's dire. He also kept interrupting David Coulthard, cutting him off ...

I think I will continue to watch both ... after all, once the BBC's contract runs out, there will be no more live races on the BBC ... I expect that long term, there will merely be highlights on the BBC ...

Clearly the BBC can still afford to fly their presenters to every race, pay for hotels etc ... the main cost that the BBC could no longer bear was the high price of live TV rights that Ecclestone must have been demanding ...

What will hurt is if Sky changes its charging so that Sky Sports F1 becomes available only to Sky Sports subscribers ...clearly right now they are including it as part of Sky HD to help launch the channel ... but what will happen next year and in future years?

Just my random thoughts on the past weekend ... interested to hear what you guys thought ...

I didn't listen to James Allen and Jaime Alguersuari on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra ... there's a limit to how many channels/sources I can follow! :) A pity really - I really liked James Allen when he was lead commentator on ITV ...

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

I agree on all points with the exception of feeling a bit lenient toward Ben Edwards. He is trying too hard to force some excitement but he is not excruciatingly annoying :)

Sky may have the money, but the beeb still has tons of talent and flair. Sky feels sterilized by comparison and the BBC, highlights or not, still was far more entertaining.

The "Dylan"-like intro to qualifying was simply inspired! Not to mention the opening to the race highlights, the short black and white clip,  starting its soundtrack with swan lake only to explode into ACDC's "Back in Black" as the asphalt trembles with the passing of an F1 car at 350km/h (that opening ought to be outlawed from car radios on public roads, btw :) ).

I agree wit you easy on most points so I wont go into so much detail. But overall I just didn't like it as much as I like BBC. Maybe I'm just being a little stubborn to the change since I always felt the coverage was so solid in the last years. Also some of the features I found a but gimmicky, while BBC just fed on the atmosphere and the energy of the race, the stands, the fans; Sky is trying to say "Hey look at al the cool shinny stuff we have that the BBC didn't have" and thats the point, F1 doesn't need more to be better, its all there and what it needs is a group of people that translate that to the viewers. While Sky spent more time on interviews and flashy spots, BBC had films of drivers out on jetskies racing around a lake and having fun. It was more about how F1 feels instead of what F1 is. 

Aviator:

The "Dylan"-like intro to qualifying was simply inspired!

It was a copy of the 60s original Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

This is incredible ... you guys are in Switzerland and in the Dominican Republic and still you are able to watch Sky Sports F1 HD and also the BBC's F1 coverage on TV .... do you watch online? If so, how? YouTube?

Or is the Sky and BBC coverage syndicated to local broadcasters overseas?

--

997.1 C2S

reginos:

Yeah, but still, it was a great idea. The lyrics are funny and the guy does sound like Dylan! Smiley

easy_rider911:

This is incredible ... you guys are in Switzerland and in the Dominican Republic and still you are able to watch Sky Sports F1 HD and also the BBC's F1 coverage on TV 

Swisscom-TV offers the BBC (in HD too).

As for Sky's coverage, ahem, let's just say I just happened to be in London? Smiley

easy_rider911:

This is incredible ... you guys are in Switzerland and in the Dominican Republic and still you are able to watch Sky Sports F1 HD and also the BBC's F1 coverage on TV .... do you watch online? If so, how? YouTube?

Or is the Sky and BBC coverage syndicated to local broadcasters overseas?

Not quite. I watch the race live in FOX sports HD. Then I download it and watch it again in english the next day. Its how I've been doing it for the last 2 or 3 years. I like watching the race live but the spanish commentary is not as good as the bbc one, or sky matter. Not to mention I just get the qualis and the race, no pre race segment or any of that and that's a part I enjoy very much.

Aviator:
    reginos:

Yeah, but still, it was a great idea. The lyrics are funny and the guy does sound like Dylan! Smiley

Sure it was entertaining but I wanted to give credit to Bob. Maybe it's because I am a Dylan fan Smiley

This song was from 1965, but it still has its allure.

--

"Form follows function"

I presume you have seen Woodstock, the movie, then? kiss

(off-topic, sorry).

Aviator:

I presume you have seen Woodstock, the movie, then? kiss

(off-topic, sorry).

Woodstock ? Smiley

Dylan didn't sing at or attended the original Woodstock in 1969. He was in the 25th anniversary Woodstock II in 1994, which didn't leave the same rock legacy.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

You are right, my bad!    (I remember watching this guy who looked a bit like Dylan but it wasn't him).

It must have been a guy called Arlo Guthrie. I don't know what became of him

--

"Form follows function"

He's still gigging about - his father was Woody Guthrie..

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754594 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431319 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258810 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255766 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79774 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868770 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM