Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

reginos:

[..]

On the video he makes a point that the e-steering would have have filtered too much information had the roads been damp.

This last point is an open question. He has not driven the car in damp conditions. He was referring to e-steering in general, not the Boxster's specifically.

The 981 uses the old 6 speed manual gearbox. This means there are no technical reasons necessitating the new PDK-derived 7 speed in the 991. It seems that lowering fuel consumption and emissions were more crucial in the case of the 991.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The 981 uses the old 6 speed manual gearbox. This means there are no technical reasons necessitating the new PDK-derived 7 speed in the 991. It seems that lowering fuel consumption and emissions were more crucial in the case of the 991.

--

"Form follows function"

You're making an assumption here. Likely true, but not necessarily so.

With the changes in wheelbase and repositioning of the engine in the 991, it may be the case that the old 6 speed would result in undesirable driveshaft angles. Having said that, the opposite could be true. My point is, there are other considerations than simply the size of the transmission.

True!

I'm sure now that the 981 is out, this question will be asked by someone and Porsche will give their answer.

--

"Form follows function"

Not to be too finicky, but I noticed two key omissions on the 981 compared to the 991/Cayenne/Panamera: Porsche Entry & Drive and the Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.

Why didn't these two options make it? My guess with the Burmester system is that they didn't have the space to squeeze in the system's components, but E&D should be easy, right?

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on these.

rulesdontapply

I suspect Burmester, entry and drive and the 7speed gearbox have actually all been omitted to ensure that there is still sufficent differentiation between the boxster/caymen and the 911.  The new boxster seems to have closed the gap a little so I think its important for Porsche to keep several pieces of technology exclusive to the 911

--

7.58 is just amazing. That is 1 sec better than the 997.1 C2S -20mm that I have. How times have moved on since then!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

7.58 is just amazing. That is 1 sec better than the 997.1 C2S -20mm that I have. How times have moved on since then!

Smiley

Great time!

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Was the 7.58 on sport tyres?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I don't think the Boxster has ever been offered with Cup tires - this would be a big change if so.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    reginos:

I don't think the Boxster has ever been offered with Cup tires - this would be a big change if so.

Now, with the DFI engines they might.

Also on the Carrera, Cup tyres were only offered by the factory, on the 997.2. Previous engines, other than the Mezger were feared for oil starvation problems at the higher g-forces.

--

"Form follows function"

That would certainly explain a large part of the 7:58 laptime, if so...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Which tires did Porsche use for the 991 time? Pirelli P Zero? If so I guess the same for the 981. Cup tires would be "cheating" if these are not offered as an option from the factory IMHO.

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Porsche Entry & Drive is very poorly implemented .. you get a nasty stump where the key would normally go, which you still have to turn like a normal key.

In contrast, Mercedes 'keyless go' is a flat button (on older models, the button is on top of automatic gearstick; newer models, where the key normally is) that you press .. so much more elegant

sfo:

Porsche Entry & Drive is very poorly implemented .. you get a nasty stump where the key would normally go, which you still have to turn like a normal key.

In contrast, Mercedes 'keyless go' is a flat button (on older models, the button is on top of automatic gearstick; newer models, where the key normally is) that you press .. so much more elegant

You bring up a good point.

I noticed something on the 918 Spyder prototype vehicle that was shown in Geneva in 2010; in place of an ignition slot or the Entry & Drive dummy key, there's an actual ignition on/off button, just to the left of the steering wheel in traditional Porsche fashion. It looked great and I thought that was the direction Porsche would go with in their next-generation vehicles, but it looks like we're still stuck with traditional twist ignitions while everyone else turns to buttons...

Oh well, would have been nice to have the feature implemented on the 981 nonetheless.

rulesdontapply

Has anybody seen a review on the base model 2.7L boxster? All reviews only appears to focus on the "S" model.

slamdunk:

Has anybody seen a review on the base model 2.7L boxster? All reviews only appears to focus on the "S" model.

Here you go...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-Boxster-2.7-/261808/

--

987 Boxster,VW Scirocco, Range Rover Evoque incoming

First Impressions: The New Boxster S

(12 March 2012)

Walking around the car, you notice the many changes to the Boxster’s appearance. Gone is the clean, sloping tail, which has been replaced by a sloping tail interrupted by a permanent spoiler lip that extends into the taillights. The latter seemed a bit fussy to our eyes at first, but we soon learned that the design is absolutely form following function: They helped Porsche widen the rear spoiler and improve aerodynamics and cancel lift.

Up front, the headlights feature a pair of stacked round lights under their covers, a reference to the stacked lights seen on Porsche’s mid-engined prototype racers of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Instead of flowing into the fenders behind them, the headlights stand proud of the fender line, which rises again and then falls once more on its way back to the doors.

The doors themselves are a first for a Boxster in that they are no longer shared with the 911. This allowed Porsche to create Carrera GT-like creases that lead to the side intakes, but also to extend the Boxster’s unique fender lines into its doors, which was not possible before since the mid-engined roadster had to share its doors with the rear-engined coupe.

Interior quality, as on 991, is superb, but even more of a standout given the price point. Fit and finish are superb, and the switchgear is of incredible quality, making the already good 987/997 gear seem primitive. Nowhere is this more apparent than the hazard light and central locking switches at the top of the dash, which feel extraordinarily expensive.

The three-gauge dash carries over from the 986/987, but ditches the original Boxster’s fonts in favor of Porsche’s traditional font, bringing an air of 911 to the roadster. The gauges are big and easily legible. There are two downsides to our Boxster S test car, however: 1. The white-on-light-gray tach (a cue from the Carrera GT) isn’t as legible or as good looking as the white-on-black speedometer, and 2. the right-most gauge has been ditched in favor of a multi-screen display in which the nav, a g meter, and other functions can be scrolled through—which means that the analog coolant temperature and fuel gauges have been sacrificed in the name of a screen next to the high-mounted PCM screen in the center of the dashboard. Want to watch the nav in front of you? You can, but you can’t see how much fuel you’ve got left at the same time. You do have two speedometers, though, both digital (the one you look at) and analog (the one you don’t).

The adaptive sport seats are excellent and hold us in place on all sorts of challenging roads.

The 3.4-liter, 330-hp flat six is a glorious engine, smooth and strong from idle all the way up to its high 7500-rpm redline. The car feels at least as strong as the numbers suggest and, on the tight mountain passes above St. Tropez and Nice, offers more speed than you can use. Even so, the temptation to keep your foot in it past 7000 rpm is too much to resist, and the Boxster S is capable of delivering the kind of speed between corners—and through them—that leaves you to question just how many cars would be able to leave it behind on such a road. My guess: not many, if any.

Our test car has a six-speed manual — the old Getrag unit instead of the PDK-based seven-speed manual used in the new 991-based 911 — and it shifts beautifully, nearly guiding itself from second to third on the upshifts and accurately pulling up every other gear requested. Shift throws are slightly Carrera GT-ish, meaning they’re slightly long fore and aft and pretty tight side to side.

The only criticism we can level at the powertrain is throttle pickup that’s just a bit patchy on occasion. This feels like a mapping issue and may be worked out before the car hits showrooms.

We weren’t thinking about that very often, however, because the optional sport exhaust is fantastic, burbling and popping like MFI from the 1970s when you let off the gas. This is like the 991, but the overall engine music is better in the Boxster because both holes on the sides of the car are now intakes (previously, the hole on the passenger side was a hot-air exhaust) and allow the engine’s song to escape the sides of the car and reflect back to your ears off of canyon walls, guard rails, etc. when the top and/or windows are down. It’s the best-sounding Boxster to date, and may be the best-sounding current Porsche this side of a GT3 RS 4.0. When the sport exhaust is switched off — probably approximating the standard exhaust’s noise — the Boxster S still sounds great, but the burble and pop is far less pronounced. Our advice: Swing for the sport exhaust…you won’t regret it.

As with the 991, the electrically assisted steering isn’t bad. It’s nicely weighted, if slightly light and a bit filtered. On the other hand, it’s direct, precise, and allows you to place the car perfectly.

Front end grip noticeably improved thanks to the wider track. Rear suspension has been adjusted to work with the wider front end, and the result is a chassis that is utterly confidence-inspiring on back roads. The car feels imperturbable. There’s a lot of grip with the optional 20s, yet the ride is polished. The car processes lumpy roads beautifully, and it’s easy to build a rhythm.

The optional PCCB brakes are as you expect: wonderful, with strong initial bite and utterly fade-free operation.

All up, the new Boxster S does everything right and is extremely pleasurable to drive, but our limited time in the car left us wondering if the 981 is as engaging and involving as some 986s and 987s past, notably the two high points: the early 986 with Euro M030 suspension and last year’s 987 Boxster Spyder. We’ll need more time behind the wheel before coming to any conclusions, but our initial verdict is this: The Boxster has certainly matured and is more appealing than ever within its market segment.

First Impressions -- The New Boxster S -- Excellence article

...thanks and all due credit to Pete Stout at Excellence!

Smiley SmileySmiley

It looks so good on those pics and this this color combination blush

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

It looks so good on those pics and this this color combination blush

It does! Mini Carrera GT!

bluelines:
    reginos:

At least it will still be a boxer/flat engine. But a 4C to be above the 3.4 6C in PS and more expensive

Yes, it would be a Porsche novelty if the turbo model is not the top-of-the-range. Unless it is an environmental lightweight turbo to showcase low emissions, but then the power figures 350-380HP does not fit.

It will be interesting to see what follows in the media about power and performance figures.

I suspect Porsche will push the low emissions part and emphasize the HP output. Expect Porsche Intelligence Performance to come advertise for it making the Turbo the top of the range model, certainly so in price with the justification that it is a green turbo. Certainly a cool idea, i hope it materializes soon! Expect a very hot little package with new bumpers and interiors, perhaps even turbo rims of some kind if not the 991 sets available.

Changes to spec in US configurator. 

I just noticed that the door trim piece that used to be shown in aluminium is not appearing in interior color.

I remember one of the reviewers commenting that it was too much brightwork on the door panel. I wonder if Porsche got a lot of similar feedback, and responded to it. 

Same thing on the German configurator...

I think you'll only get this door piece in silver (=plastic), when you order the full leather interior. If you choose alcantara, leather seats or leahter seats with extra leather package, the door trim will be in interior colour (which looks better IMO).

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

you can always order the door trim in leather if you go for the full leather interior ...

love the comments of the gearbox from Chris indecision

BjoernB:

love the comments of the gearbox from Chris indecision

+1 Smiley

--

sfo:

you can always order the door trim in leather if you go for the full leather interior ...

Yes, order code CXM - but......according to the salesman in my PZ all Exclusive options for the interior are not available for the time being, may it be leather, parts in exterior colour or carbone Smiley I asked about some parts painted in exterior colour, answer: we can do it for you in the PZ shop but it won't be available from the factory (plastic bodyparts painted is no problem though). Same goes for the 991 - looks as if they have some capacity problems in the factory right now where any additional work from Exclusive is only "disturbing" the normal production process. They just increased daily production for the Carrera from 140 to 160 cars. When I visited the factory six years ago it was only 100 per day Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Some fresh pic's of the NEW Boxster:

newego_LARGE_t_77761_218426.JPGPorsche_Boxster_S_PDK29.JPGnewego_LARGE_t_77761_218367.JPGnewego_LARGE_t_77761_218374.JPGnewego_LARGE_t_77761_218380.JPGnewego_LARGE_t_77761_218425.JPG2013-porsche-boxter-left-side-view.jpg2013-porsche-boxter-rear-right-side-view.jpg2013-porsche-boxter-rear-view.jpgnewego_LARGE_t_77761_218366.JPGPorsche_Boxster_S_PDK51.JPGPorsche_Boxster_S_PDK52.JPG2013-porsche-boxter-front-right-side-view.jpg2013-porsche-boxter-front-right-view.jpg

--

Futch is right ... this has a mini Carrera GT look to it ...

It's so beautiful ... it is a very desirable car ... I can see a lot of people (not just female) wanting one of these ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803143 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448543 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266092 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90034 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6570 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833190 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM