Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Driver's cars list

I have an idea. I believe we should have a separate forum board where we should list short descriptions of cars that we believe they are "a driver's car".

In my view the number one sort parameter should be the dynamics of the car. Not power, brand or whatever. Just a good list of cars that most members of this forum considered they are "a driver's car".

The second important rule should be: only people that had experience with the car for a minimum amount of miles/kms should be allowed to propose an entry in the list. This way we will get actual driver's opinion on a car, avoiding test drives opinion or garage queens situations.

Example: forum board Other Sports Cars

Sub-forum: Driver's Car List

Entries: Porsche Turbo 997.1

First Post by RC: RC, after 45.000km is telling us in the first part what he liked and in the second part what he didn't like about the car and in the conclusion why he believes this car has a place in Rennteam's list.

Other post example in the same thread would be: another person's name, xxxxx miles in his Turbo 997.1, his opinion following the same layout

Each car model will have one thread only. Different engines are entitle to a separate thread (for example: BMW Z4 2.3i separate from Z4 3.0i)

The list should NOT encourage participants to rate a car against another so we will avoid childish fights why a certain car is better than another. The list should encourage as the main topic if the car that is discussed IS or It is NOT a driver's car.

Absurd entries like a Dacia Logan :D should be removed by the admins in order to keep the list clean.

What do we gain? In time the list will become a valuable encyclopedia of actual, real life driving experience of true sport cars. Which will be another distinctive and unique feature of an already great forum.

What do you guys think? Do you want to create this list or not?

Waiting your comments...

--

There is no try. Just do.

Re: Driver's cars list

Very interesting idea but I'm not actually sure we can pull it off from a software point of view.

We still lack so many functions we wanted to implement (portal page, better gallery, Tapatalk/etc. support, etc.), so I'm not sure how this is going to be possible. 

Eunice ? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Great idea! kiss

You don't need anything that you don't already have. Just open a new board/sub-forum named "Driver's Cars List" and let people post there following a set of rules like the only name of the post allowed is the car's original full name including engine capacity plus the rules stated above. A moderator should delete or modify posts that don't comply with the rules like in any other part of the forum.

The rules should be a sticky post at the top of the board and that is all.

--

Pentium:

You don't need anything that you don't already have. Just open a new board/sub-forum named "Driver's Cars List" and let people post there following a set of rules like the only name of the post allowed is the car's original full name including engine capacity plus the rules stated above. A moderator should delete or modify posts that don't comply with the rules like in any other part of the forum.

The rules should be a sticky post at the top of the board and that is all.

Here's the problem: How do you know if somebody is actually telling the truth ? We should at least impose a limit of let's say minimum 100 posts before somebody can actually post something in that forum. I doubt that I or the mods can judge 100% if someone owned that specific car or not. I had so many surprises on other forums in the past, it is unbelievable how people give the impression that they are somebody who they actually aren't.

What do the other mods and Eunice think ? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

One more addition: the user's post (not the title) should at least contain Model Year of the car and gearbox type next to the numbers of miles enjoyed with the car.

Tires type, model and brand plus a list of DYNAMICALLY important options like PASM, PDCC, sport chrono, PCCB, etc would be appreciated. WEIGHT savings options and CHASSIS aids have priority. Examples: carbon packages or light seats is preferable to be mentioned, same as carbon ceramic brakes, electronic suspension, dynamic engine mounts, the presence of all gearbox programs (sport mode vs sport+ aka throttle response) or steering type (did you had a variable steering option on the car or not? Electrical? Hydraulic type?), aero packages, etc. I think everybody gets my point.

What we should not care too much about are the options that have nothing in common with the driving part: colors, type of leather, aircon, parking sensors, etc. If I would set the rules I would forbid the mention of those :D just to make people focus on what it is important. But this is debatable because for instance the sunroof affects the handling (heavy mass on top of the car) or too many convenience feature or gizmos do add a lot of weight. 

Tunned cars should not be allowed.

--

Completely agree. Someone should have a minimum post numbers in order to be allowed to OPEN a new thread in that subforum. However, they can comment on the existing threads.

Also we could add a sticky poll thread for each type of car thread (easy to add by the guy who make the first post - it's a rule) with the subject: agree or not if this car should be listed here.

--

Another way of solving the "who should post a review" problem could be a new type of user attribute: Rennteam Editor.

This could be granted on a case by case review of the user in order to make sure that person really used that car as he pretends.

Come on guys! All the VIP users of this site are alreadying posting their cars impression here. I am talking only about posting them in a dedicating area following a set of rules.

You all read Impressions from RC, Mike, Rossi, Futch, Carlos, Easy, etc...

--

I think it's a good idea because it will make the catalogue of driver reviews here more systematic. At the moment, reviews by Rennteamers and by TV/magazine reviewers are located anywhere and everywhere and it is a case of finding a relevant review.

Like RC, I would also ask if there are any technical limitations from the forum software. Eunice is best placed to answer this.

About the 'Rennteam Editor' idea, thanks for raising it, Pentium. This is an aspect that the Mods/Admins can discuss further. BTW RC has Admin rights but historically his position here has always been 'Rennteam Editor'. It's a title/role that he has had for many years now.

My own thoughts are that granting a normal member a Rennteam title and extra privileges for posting shouldn't be needed since this is just for posting a thread on a designated board. I personally think the minimum number of posts requirement is the right way to go forward. It will not create unnecessary barriers for regular users to post and it will not unncessarily create an extra administrative burden for the Mods/Admins who have their normal full time jobs too. What we do here as Mods/Admins is done in our free time and we receive no remuneration for it.

In terms of forum software, there are IMO more high priority issues to address to improve the site and to eliminate bugs etc. I think the Mods/Admins will need to decide on prioritisation.

But like I said, the Mods/Admins can discuss this proposal and revert.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

All valid points. This is why I posted this idea so you guys decide.

As a side note: I did not envisioned this idea in need of any software modifications. It is just a specific board that I believe will add even more value to rennteam by simply indexing with rules what we are already doing.

And RC can be Senior Editor :)

--

I think its a good idea, and that its doable with the current software, all it needs is a new sub-forum section that Eunice can create in a heartbeat.

The moderators can delete any threads that do no comply with the rules or alert the poster to modify it accordingly. No need for Editors IMO (this would be more work for Eunice and us picking them, etc, etc), since this won't be that hard and there won't be that many posts anyway, and most will be from members we already know. I don't think this wilkbe a problem and also we have to give a lot of leeway in this aspect since it is very subjective in who has enough miles, etc. and give a lot of trust in the good will of the poster.

All the threads titles in that section should follow a similar nomenclature, like for example, in threads dedicated to a ROM in an android forum. Not only so that scanning through the tests its much easier to sort and find what you want, but also to recognise these special threads from the other forum threads when shown amongst them like under the unread tab.

ie: ["Owner Test"]  [BRAND]  Model  [most relevant options to dinamics]
    ex: [Owner Test]  [Porsche]  997.1 CarreraS  [Manual-20mm] 

We could also allow in this section tests of cars by members that do not own them and just tested them, orjust recently bought the car and are posting their impressions, but in this case those threads could be start by [Road-Test] instead of "Owner Test".

The only reservation I have is if members are willing to contribute content, because if its just 10 guys doing it then the section will stall quickly. I think this will be achilles heel of it.

--

Good suggestions Carlos. I agree with them.

This is interesting. Normally, when we Mods/Admins are discussing issues, it doesn't happen in public :) It must be interesting, revealing and (hopefully) reassuring for all our regular Rennteam members to see how the Mods/Admins usually work together and decide stuff together. It's very collegial, as you would expect. We each bring our own expertise to the mix.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

I don't think any of the specific car 'road tests' or 'owner tests' should be sticky threads.

I do think there should be a sticky thread on the board that explains how to use the board (eg nomenclature for threads etc) so that we can ensure a consistent approach by all those posting on that board.

I think we should be strict about when people can post to that board. It needs to be owner reviews, new car first impressions and detailed road tests only. That way, we can keep a high quality in the content.

As an additional idea, I also think it could be possible to review products that may be of wider interest (eg particular tyres). Effectively, it could become a 'Reviews Board'. But we can think further about whether to widen this idea out.

--

997.1 C2S

Carlos, to have a unique feature we should not mix driving impressions with real use experience!!!

I don't like the impressions idea because of that. Impressions is exactly what I am fed up with. Impressions of short periods of driving when a new model is released, belong to the normal threads. If we mix them with the "real users experience database" we become an ordinary forum, nothing more.

Also on the report layout: one car model should have only one thread. For instance only one thread for a 997 911 Carrera S should exists. Inside of it we could have different owners posting their reports. This way we keep the  information easy to process&find AND the threads list IS the list of cars that deserves to be there.

It's going to be confusing to see threads like:

owner1 997.1 C2S

owner2 997.1 C2S

and so on...

instead of one thread 997.1 C2S with posts from owner1 and owner2 etc...

--

RC:

How do you know if somebody is actually telling the truth ? We should at least impose a limit of let's say minimum 100 posts before somebody can actually post something in that forum.

I do not believe that we will have a multitude of posts in this regard. One should include pictures within the report to verify that this particular car has been extensively driven by the respective member. 

The question remains whether we open a thread for each individual model variant or, depending on the relevance of the car, summarize one model per thread. 

This idea is brilliant! I would love to see something like this, and given the latest of very forum oriented owners reviews on here, there's certainly the demand and supply for such a sub-forum listing. I think it would be a great idea also in the sense that it does cover a short of writing for a specific model from actual owners who have driven and owned the car, not just lazy journalists who have test driven them. I would support this thing on RT for sure

In theory it's an excellent idea. It would automatically get rid of the pretenders, the ones who know all about a car's stats but have actually very little time behind the whell.

I have someone in mind but will not mention his name.

In practice, I am rubish with IT so not sure how I can help here sorry. 

Small point, but concerning tuner cars...

I think we wouldn't want to exclude an owner's review of a RUF or a Singer, or some similar high quality car like that, even if they're essentially one-offs.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

Very good idea!!

Carrageous:

Small point, but concerning tuner cars...

I think we wouldn't want to exclude an owner's review of a RUF or a Singer, or some similar high quality car like that, even if they're essentially one-offs.

I don't know about Singer but RUF has the official status of a manufacturer in Germany.

--

"Form follows function"

Don't recall many negative/unbiased reviews from 'owners'. But, on the other hand, have found several 'test drive' reviews, from reputable contributors, rather informative.

Anyway, once a vehicle has been driven 20-30k miles for instance, isn't it 'old news'? 

For instance, I owned my 997.1tt for 3 years but according to your idea, I probably didn't drive it enough to qualify since it wasn't a daily driver.

Old news or not, the idea was to have a list of cars that are dynamically enjoyable to drive according to rennteam users.

Also people buy second hand cars. Those people will find the information valuable.

And if you meet the agreed minimum number of miles, sure, you may post your impression.

--

I like this idea kiss

Pentium:

And if you meet the agreed minimum number of miles, sure, you may post your impression.

The question is, how many members are willing to write such a review. In the end, I wouldn´t put too much effort into the required mileage to gain proper experience, every review will remain somewhat subjective. It would broaden the perspective for a lot of people though and, given the intent to purchase a particular model, ask specific questions within the thread.

But Ferdie, some members are already writing such reviews... All I am saying is to keep the reviews in one place and have them follow a simple set of rules.

--

Great Idea.

Yes quite a bit of RTers have written amazing reviews. It seems to be very trendy and a way to give back in this community. Given that we all really enjoy first hand reviews that are both enthusiastically written and beautifully captured with plenty of pics, I think it's been on the rise big time lately. It's very popular then so a general section for it to organize it, will only benefit RT and the community.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690952 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410109 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256167 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858772 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775072 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM