Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL : Porsche Boxster 981

Thanks Boyko, I thought that was the trick question...

Ferdie, your analysis makes sense. It will be interesting though to see how the marketing department is going to spin this... How can you sell to your customers that a 4c engine is above your 6c engines...

In order to silence that kind of rumors, I think the car has to be significantly faster than the 6c models.

I dread for the future though, if they are going to introduce the 4c engine in the 911... There must be better ways to decrease fuel consumption...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Yet another way to maintain the pecking order, this time, via cylinder count. 

Of course, this time, there is an entire industry trend to lean on for justification (4 cyl turbo v. 6 cyl trend for efficiency and fuel economy; e.g., BMW 3 series).

d997h:

Just imagine - as one might see from my posts, that I like the idea of a turbo 4cyl. - put this engine into a Cayman R mk II (or whatever) and you would have a nice track toy - I would think that especially in the club sport or track day group of porsche addicts around the world, such a car would have a major impact. I will keep fingers crossed, ole !Smiley

Now we're talking!  This sounds like it could be a great toy (as long as PAG doesn't turn it into a softer, lux version a la the 911 Turbo - keep it raw, focused and lightweight, and it could be a real winner).  Smiley

Nice Rohl video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsXdVO1KU1g&feature=related

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

Nice Mikla, thanks!

And here's Mr. Rohrl in 1985 indecision.  It feels like a century ago.

Very enjoyable review by Chris Harris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk-6s-ZhlYs&feature=g-all-u&context=G2b91eb7FAAAAAAAAAAA

Fabulous video and a very fair/balanced review.  When I drive one I'll know for sure but I do worry that Porsche seem to be hell bent on eliminating the tactility I love in a sports car in their quest for grip, efficiency and sales.  Normally when they launch a new car, I spend ages wondering when to replace mine and what would be my perfect spec.  But since the launch of the 991 and 981 (which finally looks fantastic), I seem to spend more time thinking about a new Lotus.

Can anyone confirm if the PSM can't be properly switched off because because that would be a diasater - the steering and handbrake are controversial enough

--

Gen II Cayman S

And I should add the brake pedal that makes heel and toeing difficult.  Why? 

--

Gen II Cayman S

The high brake pedal that makes heel and toeing difficult is not new. That's been the case for years. 

I guess I'm used to it then   but I did say I'll have to try one

--

Gen II Cayman S

DRIVEN: PORSCHE BOXSTER S by CHRIS HARRIS (including Drive video)

Hot off the Geneva show stand Chris Harris has already tried the all-new Boxster...

(9 March 2012)

Steering feel - this is a story about steering feel. How you respond to Porsche's third generation Boxster can probably be anticipated by your reaction to reading the stuff people like me excrete after trawling the adjectives bag. All of it is done in an effort to describe the sensation of holding a steering wheel in a moving vehicle. At this point I can promise that this review will not contain the word nuggety. 

New proportions finally make sense of concept

The new Boxster doesn't have much steering feel. There - I've said it. It is possibly the most complete open-top sports car ever made, and it is possibly the best car Porsche currently produces. But for these purposes I can only plunder the thesaurus to make reference to absent sensations: wriggle, squirm, fidget, chatter, patter or writhe (god I hate writhe). The Boxster does none of them.

And yes, the much debated electric power steering fitted to the 991 makes its second appearance in the new Boxster, codename 981. Like the 911, this is an all-new platform with extensive use of aluminium and high-strength steel. The shell is 87kg lighter, yet it is 40 per cent stiffer. The roof uses magnesium alloy sections and despite being physically bigger and carrying more passive safety equipment, the car is lighter than its predecessor - between 25kg and 35kg depending on model.

Familiar favourites

The 2.7-litre motor in the base car is an all-new direct injection flat-six producing 265hp and 206lb ft. Meanwhile the 3.4-litre engine in the S is a revised version of the engine from the last 987 model with slightly increased outputs - 315hp and 265lb ft. Both have variable valve lift and timing.

Brakes look puny within 20-inch wheels: aren't

I'm going to concentrate on the S, because that's the one I spent the day in. It was running the spangly, optional 20-inch wheels, fitted with optional PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and a smattering of other options.

Does anyone not agree that this car finally delivers on the styling promise laid down by the original concept in 1993? It's not as dainty, but in stretching the wheelbase 60mm, pulling the front track out 40mm and the rear 18mm - not to mention making the car longer (32mm) and lower (13mm) with a shorter front overhang (minus 27mm) Porsche has taken the Boxster to an LA tuning shop and given it the full number. Where once the wheels hid apologetically within swollen panels, they now push confidently outwards and the whole car sits down into the road surface. To me, it's the best looking Porsche since the Carrera GT. 

Theory of relativity

It takes about 10 seconds to spot the steering. The wheel is slightly dead in the hands compared to the old car - it doesn't feel unnatural, just mute. At this point I would sympathise with anyone who went all Bannatyne and announced they were oot. But I would also plead with them to hang around and give it time. In this instance it is always wise to recall the parable of the Caterham R500 and the Porsche GT3 RS. After a drive in the Caterham, jumping into the RS will reveal it as being too heavy and completely lacking in steering weight, communication and feel. For about 10 minutes. Once your body adjusts to the change in circumstances - like eyes emerging from a dark cinema on a bright summer's day - the Porsche will soon feel quite different.

Longer wheelbase, shorter overhangs - good

Point the Boxster into a turn and it does two things completely at odds with the expectations laid-down by that initial numbness. It turns with unusual speed and efficiency, then clips the very point on the road you'd been aiming for. Repeat this process for 15 minutes and, like me, you'll be left guppy-like with admiration. This car doesn't do over- or understeer at normal road speeds. Its Pirelli P-Zeros have so much grip, the centre of mass is so well positioned and traction is so good it just carves its way through switchbacks with sparkling finesse. It's only when you're in the middle of such a sequence, placing this car as accurately as any other you can remember, that you have to ask yourself what you are missing with this newfangled electric rack. The answer is simple: wriggle, squirm, fidget, chatter, patter and writhe. Yes, I miss them too, but they fade into insignificance within the overall Boxster experience.

That searing motor makes great noise and pulls very hard from 3,000rpm all the way to 7,500rpm. There is talk of turbocharged four-cylinder motors in the future, but they just won't be able to match the sharpness of an atmospheric boxer-six. Matched with a chassis apparently impervious to understeer it gives you so much confidence to endlessly trim cornering lines. This is helped no-end by the proper manual transmission. Not a doctored PDK from the 991, but a stick-shift from the dark ages: three pedals and endless, blip-tastic joy. 

Manual labour

In fact the only blot for me is Porsche's insistence on running the brake pedal so bloody high relative to the throttle: unless the brakes are close to boiling it makes rolling from brake to throttle too difficult. The brakes themselves (330mm steels at the front) are predictably brilliant and way over-engineered for road use. No doubt they will melt at a track day, but that's both obvious and meaningless for a car of this type.

Manual box great, electric parking brake less so

Nope, running fast over the Route Napoleon and its tributary D-roads I was locked in this car's spell. With the PASM set to comfort (Sport is too firm) and the car in Sport Plus mode (sharper throttle, reduced ESP intervention), it rode coarse surfaces with real sophistication but never felt heavy or ponderous in rapid direction changes. It was grippy without being tedious and also gave great confidence. Moreover, it was pleasant going fast and slow: roof-down at a cruise the Boxster can warm your bottom and play tunes, a few seconds later it gives access to what must be one of the best road car chassis out there. As a basis for a new Cayman, it's mouth-watering stuff.

Each one goes 'kerching' when pushed

By far the worst thing about the car for me is the infernal electronic handbrake. It's completely counter-intuitive in a three-pedal machine, it will only engage with the foot-brake pressed and it seems to only exist to extract new combinations of expletives from exasperated drivers. For me, it's a much bigger problem than the electric steering, but then your average photo shoot does contain an unnatural quantity of three-point-turns, so maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive. Whoever canned the manual handbrake but issued a stay of execution for the idiotic Sport Chrono clock needs lobotomising. 

Coasting along

Even when you're carping about these few negatives, the car counters with more impressive details. The stop-start hardware is painless and alongside regenerative braking and a coast function for the motor (the moment it spots a coasting situation, it cuts to idle) and that direct injection system it makes for a very efficient 170mph car. Of course I thrashed it mercilessly all day and got it down below 20mpg, but in real life, this is a 30mpg machine. The boggo 2.7 does 180g/km, which is mind-boggling really. 

So on first acquaintance, the Boxster is better looking, a little bit quicker, more capable in the turns and offers 10mm more telescopic longitudinal adjustment of the steering column - whatever that means. In the context of the marketplace only one of these really matters: on looks alone the Boxster could plug the hole created by slow 991 sales in the UK. If people choose to buy it based on the way it drives, so long as they can get their heads around the steering, they will own another great Porsche. 

Oh, Porsche gave us a cereal bar to eat on our travels. It was nuggety. I lied. 

PORSCHE BOXSTER S 

Engine: 3,463cc flat-six
    Transmission: 6-speed manual / 7-speed dual-clutch auto (PDK), rear-wheel drive
    Power (hp): 315@6,700rpm
    Torque (lb ft): 265@4,800rpm
    0-62mph: 5.1 sec (PDK 5.0 sec, PDK + Sport Plus 4.8 sec)
    Top speed: 174mph (PDK 173mph)
    Weight (DIN): 1,320kg (PDK 1,350kg)
    MPG: 32.1 (PDK 35.3, both figures NEDC combined)
    CO2: 206g/km (PDK 188g/km)
    Price: £45,384

Chris Harris On Cars: "2012 Porsche Boxster S"

"Porsche's new 981 Boxster is an all-new design. Bigger, but lighter than before. We went to the launch event in the South of France to see how good it was..."

Chris Harris On Cars -- 2012 Porsche Boxster S -- Video Link

...many thanks and all due credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Yeah!!! kiss

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

The bottom line on the steering is whether it gives the proper relevant feedback as the front tires reach their limit of adhesion and the self-aligning torque they generate starts dropping off. As Chris Harris points out, that is important when driving at the limit on wet pavement.

If we loose the clean feedback of front tire self-aligning torque, and we end up having to rely mainly on the drop in steering gain to realize that we are at the limit, than that would be a shame, because then the driver would have to go past the limit to know that he exceeded...

Note that filtering out unwanted noise in the steering may make it easier to get that needed feedback. So removing the excessive centering torque, and all the wriggling and chattering and squirming, as Chris Harris puts it, may be beneficial in that it increases the signal to noise ratio the driver gets from the steering wheel. 

So we'll have to wait and see what the verdict is, under such conditions...

If they had kept the steering the same from the 987 (or even better, the non-variable 986 rack), it would be an almost perfect car in its segment.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

I love the new Boxster. This is the first time I would consider buying one over the 991....

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

Mikla:

This is the first time I would consider buying one over the 991....

Me too...

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

excuse meeee, you already enjoy both sides of the force......so, what about thinking ahead of what the new cayman could be like then... ? devil

Can any of our German speakers just summarize what are they saying about the new Boxster ,cheers winkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fAtTKeiZs

Maybe the most comprehensive review till date!

72460429.jpg56204968.jpg44399815.jpg37068894.jpgb10wu.jpg

Wouldn't boxster turbo eat up 991 carreras?

mojeIme:

Yes

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    mojeIme:

Yes

Only as appetizer... Smiley

--

... but for lunch, it usually prefers ferrari's!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Yeah, back then, a 944 turbo would easily dispatch any Ferrari available in the US. Those were the days of the early fuel injected 328 and Mondial.

No longer the case today...

KMM:

Yeah, back then, a 944 turbo would easily dispatch any Ferrari available in the US.  

Not quite true - those are also the days of the 288 GTO and F40 (imported into USA in same years).Smiley

--

Grant:
    KMM:

Yeah, back then, a 944 turbo would easily dispatch any Ferrari available in the US.  

Not quite true - those are also the days of the 288 GTO and F40 (imported into USA in same years).Smiley

--

Fair enough. Let me change "any Ferrari available in the US" to "any Ferrari officially available in the US".

The F40 was officially imported from 1987 (I believe), so there was only one year where the 951 was unopposed by a US-spec Ferrari supercar.Smiley

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157763

--

Yes, I had read that.  Good performance! kiss

Good video by Chris Harris on the 981 S.

He doesn't like the e-steering as much (although he finds it better than on the 991) and the electronic handbrake.

He declares it a "car that a man could buy" indecision

On the video he makes a point that the e-steering would have have filtered too much information had the roads been damp.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803293 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448596 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266158 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90083 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885764 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833374 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM