Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2012 997 GT3 RSR

Second day of  Winter Testing currently underway. the New(ish) RSR is a big improvemnt on the old car. The problem is that the competition have also moved forward.

RSR currently in P2 , 0.8 seconds behind the 458 in P1.

Great pictures Spyderidol. They are doing much better today. Glad to see them get into the 2:00 min barrier. I think Jorg  will be faster in the car than Patrick. Is he even at sebring?

It is clear that the 2012 RSR is clearly quicker than last year's car. The problem is that everyone else has moved on too, and I suspect that the RSR will find itself in the same position as last year.  I have a strong feeling that it is not as quick as either the Ferrari's nor the Corvettes. I sincerely hope that I am wrong!

On the other hand no one is really showing what they have, but the signs so far, are not promising for the Porsche fan. (apparently still having an issue with rear grip).

I am sure that they will do some more private testing , and hopefully they will get all the issues sorted out by race weekend.

Yes, Joerg was there.

BTW -And to counteract my pessimism: Patrick Long has tweeted the following:

Wrapped a great 2-day test here in Sebring. Long night of debriefs, but some great results to review. Weissach has delivered!! On to Tampa-

Lets hope that this is really how he feels , and not just PR speak.

Thanks so much for your updates, following it with great interest!

Thanks Porker. It's good to know that some on this Porsche forum actually enjoy following them race.wink

Spyderidol:

Thanks Porker. It's good to know that some on this Porsche forum actually enjoy following them race.wink

And one more here....Smiley

Thanks for the informations Spyderidol. Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Spyderidol:

For sure...Smiley

Spyderidol:

+1.  Smiley

I wouldnt be a porsche owner if they stopped racing thasts for sure. Porsche motorsport is all i love for. Excellent updates. Motorsport.com has great pictures but i guess they block from saving.

Spyderidol:

Some pictures form yesterdays Winter Test.

Paul Miller Racing , Flying Lizard, and Falken RSR's:

The two Flying Lizards:

Patrick Long in the FL #45:

Now that is a nice rear-end!1328776310270yikes.gif

ST1_4221.jpg

I love how closely the above picture resembles the good old Series 993 GT1

SmileySmiley

Spyderidol:

... It's good to know that some on this Porsche forum actually enjoy following them race. ...

No doubt about that... Thanks for the updates!

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Fast Becoming Driver Favorite at Sebring Debut...

(10 February 2012)

After more than 12 hours of testing over two days at Sebring International Raceway, the drivers of the 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR have declared the new race car race-worthy and ready to tackle the tough competition that faces it in the upcoming American Le Mans Series.

Patrick Long, from Bellair, Fla., Flying Lizard Motorsports driver who gave the media attendees a walk-around of the carat this week’s winter test session for the March 17 60th Anniversary of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida, said that everyone made huge progress during the test.

“We brought our lap times down almost two seconds from the first hour to the last hour of this test weekend, unusual for this track, which tends to be bumpy enough to distract you from the task at hand.  The new RSR has a different feel than the previous model, and this process really challenges your race crew and engineers as well as the drivers, so good feedback and communications are essential,” said Long, who will co-drive with fellow Porsche factory drivers Marco Holzer and Joerg Bergmeister for the race.

Bryan Sellers, from Atlanta, who drives the Team Falken Tire Porsche with Martin Ragginger and factory driver Wolf Henzler, said the different feel of the car over the famous Sebring bumps from turn #17 through the end of turn #1 made it hard for him in the first session, but, by the end of the week, he was going faster than ever.

“Driving and adjusting.  More driving and more adjusting.  We had to remember we had new tires, a brand new car, different springs, etc.  Once we starting dialing in our balance and setup, we realized what a great car the new RSR is,” said Sellers.

Sascha Maassen (Germany), who will co-drive the Paul Miller Racing Porsche with Bryce Miller and Great Britain’s Rob Bell, is an experienced test driver, having done a lot of development work with previous RSR models plus the Penske Porsche RS Spyder.

“A combination of skills from the Paul Miller crew and support from Porsche Motorsport engineers and our new Dunlop tire partners compressed several weeks of testing results into two very productive days,” said Maassen.

All three teams plan to test again at Sebring before new month’s event.

Ten of the GT cars went faster than last year’s pole position qualifying time, so, in addition to the introduction of the new Porsche, the Ferrari, Corvette, and BMW teams have improved their cars as well, so expect the hot GT battle to continue throughout the 2012 season, according to Jens Walther, president of Porsche Motorsport North America.

“The introduction of this new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR is exciting for all our employees, our customers, and our race fans, and we are proud that our ALMS teams have made so much setup progress in such a short time during the Sebring Winter Test.  We know, however, that the championship battle will be hard work, but we are confident this car gives up the right tool to compete for the title,” said Walther.

Here are representative GT times from the Sebring Winter Test:

Pos., #, class, driver names, fastest time, car

1, 29  GT, Beretta/Vilander/Bruni,           2:00.061,  Ferrari F458 Italia
    2, 01  GT, Sharp/van Overbeek ,             2:00.782,  Ferrari F458 Italia
    3  02  GT, Brown/Cosmo,                          2:00.854,  Ferrari F458 Italia
    4, 45  GT, Bergmeister/Long/Holzer,    2:00.894,  Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
    5,   4   GT, Gavin/Milner/Westbrook ,       2:01.022,  Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z
    6, 55   GT, Müller/Auberlen ,                     2:01.271,  BMW E92 M3
    7,   3   GT, Magnussen/Garcia/Taylor,     2:01.306,  Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z
    8, 56   GT, Hand/Mueller,                           2:01.420,  BMW E92 M3
    9, 57   GT, Krohn/Jonsson/Rugolo,          2:01.549,  Ferrari F458 GT
    10, 17   GT, Henzler/Sellers/Ragginger, 2:01.961,  Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
    11, 44   GT, Law/Neiman/Lally,                 2:02.844,  Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
    12, 48   GT, Miller/Maassen/Bell,             2:02.958,  Porsche 911 GT3 RSR
    13, 70   GT, Bourret/Gibson/Belloc,          2:03.945,  Chevrolet Corvette C6R
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
    1, 34   GTC, LeSaffre/Faulkner,                 2:07.713,  Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
    2, 66   GTC, Pumpel/Waltrip/Kauf/Agu,    2:14.666,  Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

Source: Porsche Motorsport

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 997 RSR racecar from Falken...

Tyre manufacturer Falken has rolled out its 2012 Porsche 997 RSR in full livery ahead of its second Sebring test on the 28th and 29th February. Bryan Sellers will share the new for 2012 car with Wolf Henzler in the ALMS season opener at the Florida venue on March 17th . The 2012 event marks both the 60th running of the 12 hour race at Sebring as well as opening the new FIA World Endurance Championship. Porsche’s 2012 911 GT3 RSR has both a wider front and rear track width along improved suspension geometry and aerodynamics and Falken’s is one of only four new race-designated Porsches in the U.S.

“Clearly, expectations run high throughout the team, based on our strong showing last year and fourth place finish in the GT points standings,” says Nick Fousekis, Falken’s Director of Motorsports and Consumer Events. “Team Falken was successful in 2011 as a result of brilliant race strategy by Derrick and the tremendous driving efforts of Wolf and Brian, and we fully intend to leverage that teamwork with this new race car as we commence our third full season of race competition.”

Smiley SmileySmiley

430289_369054096448046_191654330854691_1260696_1424888196_n.jpg

430545_368885256464930_191654330854691_1260261_1235398029_n.jpg

Awesome!!!

1331639649427bounce.gif1331639667830clap.gif

2012 Twelve Hours of Sebring: Race Debut for 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR...

FIA World Endurance Championship, WEC / American Le Mans Series, round 1 in Sebring, USA , Race report

Successful race debut for the new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR

At the Sebring 12 hour race, the new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR celebrated a successful race premiere. At the wheel of the 911 fielded by the Felbermayr-Proton team, Porsche works drivers Marc Lieb (Germany), Richard Lietz (Austria) and Patrick Pilet (France) secured second place in the GTE Pro class at the long distance classic in Florida and with this made a very promising start into the new World Endurance Championship.

“Second place is a great result. Right from the start, our new 911 GT3 RSR was reliable and that’s very positive,” said Marc Lieb. “But we lacked the speed to win off our own bat.” Richard Lietz, who had to start from the back of the field because the cockpit temperature of his Porsche in qualifying was one degree over what was permitted, said, “I’m very satisfied with how the race went. For twelve hours our 911 ran without the slightest technical problem. Which is, of course, not something you take for granted at the first race with a new car.”

Christian Ried (Germany) and his Italian teammates Gianluca Roda and Paolo Ruberti made a superb start to the season. With the second Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (2011 model year) run by Felbermayr-Proton they celebrated victory in the GTE Am class. “This win is a perfect way to kick off the season,” Ried commented. “The last one and half hours of the race were incredibly tough for Paolo, because he had to cope without power steering.”

With the tradition-steeped twelve hour race on the Sebring International Raceway the American Le Mans Series also took off into the season. Driving the new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR for Paul Miller Racing, Sascha Maassen (Germany), Bryce Miller (USA) and Rob Bell (Great Britain) secured fifth place in the GT class. At the wheel of Flying Lizard Motorsports’ 911, Americans Seth Neiman, Darren Law and Andy Lally saw the flag in seventh place.

For two other new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, the season-opening round in the sunshine state of the USA brought less than perfect results. Porsche works driver Wolf Henzler (Germany) secured ninth with Bryan Sellers (USA) and Martin Ragginger (Austria). After the qualifying, their Falken Tire team had to replace the engine in the 911, and although the mechanics managed this in record time, he still took up the race one lap behind. Things were not a lot better for his factory pilot colleagues Joerg Bergmeister (Germany), Patrick Long (USA) and Marco Holzer (Germany) in the second Flying Lizard Porsche: In the formation lap, a Ferrari rammed into the rear of the Porsche, which threw them far back. After putting in a spirited chase, they still managed to yield tenth and earn valuable points towards the championship.

“Our car ran better in the race than it did in qualifying. We drove consistently fast lap times to the end,” stated Wolf Henzler. Marco Holzer added: “That was a bitter race. It was already over for us before it had really begun. So our goal was to finish the 70 percent distance and safeguard those important championship points.”

Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche motorsport, regarded the start of the season as positive. “Compliments to the Felbermayr-Proton team for their victory in GTE-Am class and second place in GTE-Pro class. This was almost an optimum result,” he said. “I am extremely pleased with the reliability of the new 911 GT3 RSR. As far as the time difference to our fastest rivals in qualifying and in the race is concerned, we will be analysing that gap to determine whether the performance balancing influenced this. Congratulations as well to Paul Miller Racing for its great result in the American Le Mans Series with fifth. It’s a pity that the race was over before the start for one of our strongest cars, it was not the team’s fault.”

Round two of the World Endurance Championship takes place on 5 May 2012 in Spa-Francorchamps/Belgium. On 14 April, round two of the American Le Mans Series takes off on the street course in Long Beach, California.

Results

World Endurance Championship
    GTE Pro class
    1. Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci (I/MC/I), Ferrari F458 Italia, 307 laps
    2. Lieb/Lietz/Pilet (D/A/F), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 306
    3. Mücke/Fernandez/Turner (D/MEX/GB), Aston Martin Vantage, 291
    4. Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander (I/I/SF), Ferrari F458 Italia, 215
    5. Melo/Makowiecki/Vernay (BRA/F/F), Ferrari F458 Italia, 183

GTE Am class
    1. Ried/Roda/Ruberti (D/I/I), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 298 laps
    2. Bourret/Gibon/Belloc (F/F/F), Chevrolet Corvette, 297
    3. Bornhauser/Canal/Lamy (F/F/P), Chevrolet Corvette, 288
    4. Kaufmann/Waltrip/Aguas (USA/USA/P), Ferrari F458, 283
    5. Krohn/Jönsson/Rugolo (USA/S/I), Ferrari F458 Italia, 265
    6. Binnie/Palttala/Camathias (USA/SF/CH), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 251

American Le Mans Series
    GT class
    1. Hand/Müller/Summerton (USA/D/USA), BMW E92 M3, 307 laps
    2. Magnussen/Garcia/Taylor (DK/E/USA), Chevrolet Corvette, 307
    3. Gavin/Milner/Westbrook (GB/USA/GB), Chevrolet Corvette, 307
    4. Müller/Auberlen/Alzen (D/USA/D), BMW E92 M3, 306
    5. Maassen/Miller/Bell (D/USA/GB), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 302
    6. Brown/Segal/Lazzaro (USA/USA/USA), Ferrari F458 Italia, 302
    7. Law/Neiman/Lally (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 302
    9. Henzler/Sellers/Ragginger (D/USA/A), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 289
    10. Bergmeister/Long/Holzer (D/USA/D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 251

GTC class
    1. Sweedler/Bell/von Moltke (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 291 laps
    2. Keen/Dumoulin/MacNeil (USA/CAN/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 291
    3. Faulkner/Bleekemolen/LaSaffe (IRL/NL/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 290

Points’ standings

World Endurance Championship
    Manufacturer's World Cup GTE class
    1. Ferrari, 34 points
    2. Porsche, 33
    3. Chevrolet, 22

Team Trophy GTE Pro class
    1. AF Corse, Ferrari, 26 points
    2. Felbermayr-Proton, Porsche, 18
    3. Aston Martin Racing, Aston Martin, 15

Team Trophy GTE Am class
    1. Felbermayr-Proton, Porsche, 25 points
    2. Labre Competition, Chevrolet, 18
    3. AF Corse-Waltrip, Ferrari , 12

American Le Mans Series
    GT class
    1. Joey Hand, Dirk Müller, Jonathan Summerton, BMW , 24 points
    2. Jan Magnussen, Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor, Chevrolet , 20
    3. Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner, Richard Westbrook, Chevrolet, 17
    5. Sascha Maassen, Bryce Miller, Rob Bell, Porsche, 12
    7. Seth Neiman, Andy Lally, Darren Law. Porsche, 8
    9. Wolf Henzler, Bryan Sellers, Martin Ragginger, Porsche, 6
    10. Jörg Bergmeister, Patrick Long, Marco Holzer , Porsche, 5

Manufacturers
    1. BMW, 24 points
    2. Chevrolet, 20
    3. Porsche , 12
    4. Ferrari, 10

Teams
    1. BMW Team RLL, BMW, 24 points
    2. Corvette Racing, Chevrolet, 20
    3. Paul Miller Racing, Porsche, 12
    4. Extreme Speed Motorsports, Ferrari, 10

This is the World Endurance Championship

Sports prototypes and GT vehicles race in the new World Endurance Championship. They are divided into four classes that start together but are classified separately:

LMGTE Pro class: This class is reserved for slightly modified standard sports cars with 440 to 500 hp and a minimum weight of 1,245 kilograms (e.g. Porsche 911 GT3 RSR).

LMGTE Am class: Like the LMGTE Pro, but the regulations stipulate that there must be no more than one professional driver per vehicle.

LMP1 class: Sports prototypes with up to 550 hp and a minimum weight of 900 kilograms.

LMP2 class: Sports prototypes with around 440 hp and a 900 kilogram minimum weight.

This is the American Le Mans Series

The American Le Mans Series (ALMS) was created in 1999 for sports prototypes and GT vehicles. The field is divided into five classes that start together but are classified separately:

GT class: This most popular class amongst car manufacturers traditionally receives the most support: Slightly modified standard sports cars with 440 to 500 hp and a minimum weight of 1,245 kilograms (e.g. Porsche 911 GT3 RSR).

GTC class: This class is reserved for vehicles from one-make race series like the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.

LMP1 class: Sports prototypes with up to 550 hp and a minimum weight of 900 kilograms.

LMP2 class: Sports prototypes with ca. 440 hp and a 900 kg minimum weight.

LMPC class: Prototype brand trophy series for the ORECA FLM 09.

2012 Twelve Hours of Sebring -- Race Debut for 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

1332394288977hahano.gif

I noticed they had all the side intakes taped up?(the turbo like ones), interesting

The rules recommend wire-mesh be used to cover the intakes.

probably when they are open, but for less drag I think you are alowed to tape them up, I mean I saw the exact same thing on the F 458s, the air ducts at the sides of the bonet (the small ones outside of the headlights)

This is what the rules say:

Air intakes / air extractors

2.6.1 Air intakes / air extractors are part of the bodywork.

2.6.2 If air intakes or air extractors make mechanical parts visible,

they shall be fitted with mesh about 10 mm (to Scrutineers'

appreciation).

Spyderidol:

This is what the rules say:

Air intakes / air extractors

2.6.1 Air intakes / air extractors are part of the bodywork.

2.6.2 If air intakes or air extractors make mechanical parts visible,

they shall be fitted with mesh about 10 mm (to Scrutineers'

appreciation).

Upps, sorry I am as blind as a mouse, that looked like duckt tape too me, I had to DWL highrez photos form Sebring to see that it is mesh...BTW if you are interested you can get high res photos from the replacemt site of racing undergroud, RAcing for me, unfortunatly I am out of invites, but you could probalby pick one from ten-tenths,

Thanks! Most appreciated.kiss

Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Teams GT Teams Struggle at ALMS Long Beach

Long Beach, California – 14 April 2012 – After losing out on a chance for a good starting position because the qualifying session was cancelled, the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR customer teams were unable to improve their standing in the GT class at today’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. 

At a street course on which it is already difficult to pass, Patrick Long in the #45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 RSR made a charge through field at the start, quickly moving up from tenth to fourth place, but a puncture from debris on the track forced a lap one pit stop, and the Lizard Porsche was immediately a lap down.

In the final GT results, the Oliver Gavin/Tom Milner Corvette took the class win, followed by the Dirk Mueller/Joey Hand BMW, the Scott Sharp/Johannes van Overbeek Ferrari, and the Jan Magnussen/Antonio Garcia Corvette. 

The top finishing Porsche was the Team Falken Tire GT3 RSR of Wolf Henzler/Bryan Sellers (sixth), followed by - in seventh, eighth, and ninth – Joerg Bergemeister/Patrick Long Flying Lizard Porsche; Sascha Maassen/Bryce Miller Paul Miller Racing Porsche; and Seth Neiman/Marco Holzer Lizard Porsche. In the manufacturers point standings, Chevrolet and BMW are now tied with 40 points, with Ferrari at 27 points and Porsche with 23 points after two events.

“Rain during the two-hour free practice, resulting in a wet track, and subsequent cancellation of qualifying, did not enable our customer teams enough track time to set up the new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR for its best performance potential. The competitors who finished ahead of us at Long Beach all have a bigger restrictor – thus more horsepower – than we do. We must work with the American Le Mans Series to find a solution that gives us comparable classification to our competitors in this area,” said Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche Motorsport.

In GT Challenge, Damian Falkner took over the Green Hornet Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car from owner Peter LaSaffre in fourth place after a penalty for a headlight defect, and quickly passed the two cars in front of him for a decisive win – the first for the Green Hornet team.

“The was my first time at Long Beach, and we were bitten right away when the Lotus had its first lap incident, resulting in a bent wheel for the Green Hornet Porsche. But this was a real street fight, and it was a total team effort,” said LaSaffre.

“The track was really green because of the rain on Friday, and it took a while for the streets to ‘rubber in,’ but Peter did a great job keeping the car in contention, and the set-up came to us during the race,” said Falkner.

The next race for the ALMS competitors will be at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca – a six-hour event – on May 12.

The ACO have just given them another weight break. Quite sad to see Porsche having to benefit from breaks to be competitive.

Apparently there are Porsche customer motorsport teams pushing for the 991 GT3 RSR to get the 4.6-litre 570bhp 9000rpm V8 engine (from the Porsche 918) to compete with Ferrari's 458 Italia (4.5-litre 562bhp 9000rpm V8) in the ALMS / Le Mans / FIA WEC. That should require at least 300 produced as a road-car for official homologation...

Porsche 918 Spyder

Main propulsion: the racing car’s eight cylinder engine

The main source of propulsion is the 4.6-liter, eight cylinder engine delivering more than 570 hp of power, which was directly derived from the power unit in the successful RS Spyder and explains why it delivers engine speeds of up to 9,000 rpm. Like the RS Spyder’s racing engine, the 918 Spyder power unit features dry-sump lubrication with a separate oil tank and oil extraction. In order to save weight, the four extraction pumps are made of plastic. Further extensive lightweight design measures resulted in, for example, titanium connecting rods, thin-wall, low-pressure casting on the crank case and the cylinder heads, a high-strength, light-weight steel crankshaft and the extremely thin-walled, alloy steel exhaust system. The result of the weight and performance optimizations is a power output per liter of approx. 125 hp/l, which is significantly higher than that of the Carrera GT (106 hp/l) and outstanding for a naturally aspirated engine.

Engine:  4.6-litre V8 mid-engine with dry-sump lubrication 
    Engine Power:  570 hp (V8 engine) 
    Maximum Revs:  9,000 rpm 
    Power Output per Liter:  ~  125 hp per liter (V8 engine) 

Smiley SmileySmiley SmileySmiley

I have no doubt that customers are pushing for more engine power.The RSR is getting seriously out-gunned in this years season.  I have, however,  some doubts whether this will be the engine that will be used. They will have to do extensive work on it as it was designed to be a mid-engine and not a rear engine, thus having the gearbox linked to the opposite side of the engine. Furthermore, I wonder how the 918 customers would feel about their exclusive V8 being used on a lowly 991? 

It would be good news indeed , if they did make something out of this engine. It would be nice to see this once again on the track where it was originally designed to be.

Finally some good news for Porsche Motorsport in the 2012 season.  The 911 of Exim Bank Team China - driven by Parisy and Halliday - took first place in today's FIA GT1 World race at Zolder (despite having lost their pole position due to a pit-lane infraction).  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764234 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436440 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261012 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257937 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808842 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM