Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Time for a little poll: Do you like the 997 TT look?

Reading that lots of people seemed to be deceived by the 997 TT look, i thought it would be time for a little poll.

Re: Time for a little poll: Do you like the 997 TT look?

I voted under... there is just something about it that does not sit right with me. I would normally be optimistic and say that I need to see it first... but if I ordered one, I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I spent that much $$ on a car that I don't love. Not meant to offend any owners, as I'm sure it will be all Porsche and be a great performer.. just throwin my two cents out there

we should do the same poll with the gt3..i am sure we will have a different result..

Today I ended up driving behind a silver 997 Turbo in downtown Zürich. It looked absolutely stunning. Much better than expected. Of course I gave him a good race

Wait and see it for real....

Then sit in it...

Then stand back and look again, especcially from the back-then do the poll...

I too will wait until seeing one in person to pass judgement. I think I will like it much more than in the pics.

When I first saw spyshots of the car I was spectic and though "what on earth are those small holes on the front bumper?". I was very used to very clean and cluster free Porsche bumpers bust as more pictures of the car began poping up and I started to warm up to the fog light and now when I have seen official and real life pictures of the front I think it looks superb.

As for the rear, it's flawless. It looks aggressive, phat but is still very sleek which a 997 should be. The new rims are quite nice and had probably have the purpose of distinguishing the 997tt from the 996tt but as I have mentioned before the turbine rims are still my favorite.

Some people here have seen pictures of it in silver and said that it's ugly but silver almost never brings out the best of a car's design. The mercedes SLR is probably the only car which should only be bought in silver. Other cars like the 911 looks best in dark colour, especially black.

IMO Porsche has done a great job refreshing the 911 turbo without ruining it. Off course it might not be as striking as a F430 but it's a 997 and it's gorgeous. I really don't know what some of you were expecting but hey, I love it.

997t exceeded my expectations performance wise, however it totally dissapointed me with its front bumper. im definately going to change the front bumper to either a gemballa avalanche bumper or ruf rt12 bumper as soon as i get the 997t.

i voted "Under your expectations". the 997t is supposed to look mean and aggresive, now it looks plain and humble.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    997t exceeded my expectations performance wise,

You are kidding, right

I just got my Excellence magazine today and they have a small article, and some very nice shots of the TT. I absolutely love it. The one and only thing it needs is a whale tail! I can't wait to see it in person.

I like the look. Now I just need to see this car in person.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Wait and see it for real....

Then sit in it...

Then stand back and look again, especcially from the back-then do the poll...

Done that, except for the sitting part, and I was greatly disapointed due to:

A) Cheap front look.
    B) Crappy wheels.
    C) Exshaust treatment.

Of course this is a matter of taste and I am sure that alot of people will love it but I dont. I have to say that I went to the Porsche stand right after stopping at Aston Martin and they had some gorgeous cars in display, maybe this has somethging to do with me not liking the TT.

There was a lot of beautiful cars in the Geneva show, GT3 included, unfortunatly the TT was not one of them IMO.

Under your expectations

I voted "below expectations" because whilst the power has been increased, I think the tiptronic issue is a bad move and no matter how much I try to like the rear exhaust design, it doesn't look any better to me. In fact it looks like its designed as an after thought. The 996TT rear looked so much better IMO.

It looks like a roller skate.

Things I love: the fat rear end and the newly designed tail
    Things I can't get past, no matter how hard I try: The round foglights (which to me, look like a little kid with braces/headgear on?) Don't ask me to explain that one, that's just what pops into my head when I look at the front end. Also the busy busy exhaust cutouts/design, and front LED's. I love the concept of the LED's in the front fascia, but they absolutely do not belong in their current location, IMHO. I would never be comfortable spending that amount of $$ for that! Thank goodness they got it right with the 997S. Oh geez I'm starting to sound like Nick, somebody slap me!

The LED lights in the front look like a Hammerhead Shark by themselves, but if you take in the whole front end it looks like a Catfish.(just add wiskers)

Tha wheels suck, I think I saw them on a KIA the other day.

The car from the rear looks like crap.
    Who designed it, Pontiac?
    Oh, sorry, Pontiac did the fog lights

PCNA could care less about it's customers or retaining us.

I like it more and more every day.

I like the car more and more everyday as well, and am already debating colors for my order. Meteor Grey, Cobalt, etc. Perfect design, no. Wonderful car for my lifestyle and dreams, yes.

Saw it in Geneva in real, even sat in it...Like everything but the "cheap-tuning-style" wheels..

Looks like my current car with aftermarket front and rear bumper caps and aftermarket intercooler intake strake - the kind of kit TechArt , et.al., have done since 2002. Interior, again , is of a parallel generation Boxster with two extra gauges which means nothing special sitting behind the steering wheel . Wheels are ones that no aftermarketeer would dare have put on the market for the 996 Turbo, though. Like the 997S refresh, 99% of the public won't know it's the " neuer " one.If I order mine again in " hide the details " black, none of my neighbors and few of my friends would know it's new.

Maybe I should add two additional questions to this poll:

1. how many of those who voted "against" the 997 TT look have seen this car live in person?
    2. how many of those who voted "against" the 997 TT look actually considered buying one in the very near future before the first pictures have been shown?

I can't hide the feeling that
    A. people are "voting" based on pictures and gossip only
    B. people who actually already have a Porsche and didn't consider buying a 997 Turbo in the near future, just want to "prove themselves right" not going for the Turbo (or better said: they try to fool themselves that they don't like it, so they don't "desire" it...a psychological thing ).

Quote:
    RC said:

1. how many of those who voted "against" the 997 TT look have seen this car live in person?
    2. how many of those who voted "against" the 997 TT look actually considered buying one in the very near future before the first pictures have been shown?

B. people who actually already have a Porsche and didn't consider buying a 997 Turbo in the near future, just want to "prove themselves right" not going for the Turbo (or better said: they try to fool themselves that they don't like it, so they don't "desire" it...a psychological thing ).

Add these two please:

3. how many of those who voted "for" the 997tt looks...

C. people who already ordered a 997tt just want to "prove themselves right" for going for the Turbo
    (or better said: they try to fool themselves that they like it, to persuade themselves they didn't make a mistake...a psychological thing ).

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Oh geez I'm starting to sound like Nick, somebody slap me!

Hey, I'd just be happy to hear that somebody'd slapped Nick! He's been at it much longer.

Quote:
    chuck said:
    The LED lights in the front look like a Hammerhead Shark by themselves, but if you take in the whole front end it looks like a Catfish.(just add wiskers)

Tha wheels suck, I think I saw them on a KIA the other day.

The car from the rear looks like crap.
    Who designed it, Pontiac?
    Oh, sorry, Pontiac did the fog lights

PCNA could care less about it's customers or retaining us.

You think they let PCNA design it?

Well, my 997tt is in the new Porsche color, Stygian Black. It happens to be the same color as BMW's Bangle Black. Stygian Black and Bangle Black are among the two most popular colors on German cars becuase they hide all of the design issues.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Stygian Black and Bangle Black are among the two most popular colors on German cars becuase they hide all of the design issues.

A shame, isn't it?

Quote:
    fritz said:

You think they let PCNA design it?

No, I don't think that they let PCNA design the car.
    I just think that if the car comes to you damaged that PCNA does nothing to make it right.
    There was a day when Porsche cared about it's image and the people that drove their cars.
    In today's world of 35% monthly sales increases, I don't think Porsche cares any longer if they retain customers.

I, being one that bought a 997S Cab to hold me over for the 997TT received a new car that was damaged and has Bondo in it.
    PCNA sees no problem just repainting the car and moving on, I do.
    SO...that is why I added PCNA could careless about us.

The LEDs and foglights are just... goofy. The wheels we see are uninspiring. The air intake on the rear looks cheap. The exhaust outlets are too busy/contrived.

My general impression is that these things were "tacked" on separately without any thought to coherence of the overall design. IMHO and all that.

Quote:
    RC said:

1. I voted based on pictures only, for I have not seen one in person.

2. I would not own one if you gave it to me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763707 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436094 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260858 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875657 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808456 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM