Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

The Carrera GT is the icon. The perfect trifecta of buy and keep supercars sold in the past 25 years are Carrera GT, McLaren F1 and Ferrari F40 .
    Each has/will be serially succeeded by faster ,"better" versions that will be more computerized and robotic, but future collectors will treasure the the purest version, imo.

dxpetrov:
    Spyderidol:

The MR6 is a racing engine, so it is very light.

So, you don't share my enthusiasm?!! Smiley

Smiley

Don't get me wrong. I'm love the 918 . I'm just pointing out the the "big" engine is in fact quite compact and light, thus actually contributing to the cars "lower(ish)"  weight .Smiley

Futch:
    Porker:
    dxpetrov:
    BlackOctober:
    Futch:

V8 4.6L produces 570 hp

total combined power 770 hp

EU mixed cycle 3L/100km, 3000 km on a single fuel tank, awesome!!!

0 to 100 less than 3 secs, to 200 less than 9 secs, to 300, less than 27 secs.

4 directional wheels. 

1650 kgs kerb

latest detail pictures are sex on wheels , the exhausts are plain sick!

Nice specs....where we can see these latest pictures?

When you really think about it, what they've achieved is amazing! Without batteries, which could easily weigh around 200kg, this car would have had a mere 1450kg!!! Awesome! It's not a small car and it's got rather ''big'' engine but still manages to stay light-ish! When you compare that to 991 you get a better picture! Smiley

ps. It's also quite amazing, that even after 2 days of exposure, these new photos haven't leaked further! This forum gets more respect from me every day! You guys are fantastic! Cheers! Smiley

What about a 1.200kg 7.3 V12 Zonda?

Great car the Zonda but its engine is not the masterpiece, the carbon structure is.

The engine is pretty lame of you ask me, very high cubic capacity, tons of torque and very low max rpm. Great performance, usable on the road, but lacks the motorsport personality of a high revving Porsche or Ferrari engine.

I agree, but I wanted to point out that despite that monster of an engine the weight is still very low... Would you reckon the Zonda would've been a more desirable car would it have been fitted with the 6.0 litre motorsport AMG V12 (as fitted to the R-version)?

Porker:

I agree, but I wanted to point out that despite that monster of an engine the weight is still very low... Would you reckon the Zonda would've been a more desirable car would it have been fitted with the 6.0 litre motorsport AMG V12 (as fitted to the R-version)?

Most probably yes. 

Zondas are already very desirable, limited numbers, craftmanship, the houyayrahahouhawahwah is very ugly so that will push collectors towards later Zonda F. 

The weight is incredibly low yes, but remember that our friend Horacio quotes dry weight, so an on the road weight has actually never been published. 

My Carrera GT fully loaded with liquid is 1460 kgs.

I reckon a fully loaded Zonda is not that much lighter.

Exclusivity drives the prices up.

Futch,

One thing that stands up in the 918 project is the early life cycle of the batteries. I imagine that in a few years time, technology will be more matured and better, lighter batteries will be available. Is Porsche dealing with this evolution during the life span of the model?. Has Porsche discussed this point with their 918 customers?

Thanks!

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

I assume they would allow for the battery replacement. That way you can actually lower your cars' weight.

i think, should porsche further develop the battery technolog it will me retro-fit for the 918 or else the car will be obsolete with technological advancements along the way.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Futch:
    MKSGR:
    Futch:
    Joost:

Francois, thanks for the new info and pics (Carlos, muchos gracias a ti tambien!).

The general feeling I have with regard to the the CGT and the 918 is that Porsche only brings an "über" sportscar every now and then. Therefore, those cars are almost bound to become instantly classics. Do you feel the same Futch?

Also, you mentioned the 918 might head in the same direction as the 959... what do you mean with that?
    Speaking of the 959... is that one on your list as well? Would be the ultimate super porsche dream garage; 959, GT1, CGT, 918... ;-)

959 is definitely on my list but am not sure it's the best time to buy now. Although I don't think they will come downin value. 

What I meant re 959 is that it never had the success Porsche hoped for, but it's still an important landmark in the brand's history. 918 might share that destiny, it'll be an awesome car ahead of its time. 

I'd love to own a GT1 but a race version not a road version. 

Given your recent acquisition I would rather add a F40 than a 959. Should be the better choice in terms of driving pleasure and value strategy, if you ask me Smiley Also, it would make a great fit with the GTO.

You are 100% right, an F40 is high on my list, well, an F40 would be high on anyone's list with a bit of petrol flowing thru their veins.

I think in terms of timing, it was important to find and buy a GTO asap, now that's done, they are more F40 on the market, but even so, it seems they are moving up, slowly but surely.

You cannot go wrong (also in terms of value) with a nice collection of GTO, F40, F50 (maybe?) and Enzo (maybe?)...

Futch:
    I remain hopefull however that the 918 will have its place in the collector market in 20 years time, look at the 959, a true connaisseur's car, totally outdated and yet, spawned the new generation of modern Porsches to this day, and it shows, it hold its value rather well and it's actually going up.

The 918 might find his place in the collector market in 20 years - but you can definitively get one in 10 years far below the list price if bought new. The 918 is a marketing gag, not much more. I would never buy one Smiley

MKSGR:
    Futch:
    I remain hopefull however that the 918 will have its place in the collector market in 20 years time, look at the 959, a true connaisseur's car, totally outdated and yet, spawned the new generation of modern Porsches to this day, and it shows, it hold its value rather well and it's actually going up.

The 918 might find his place in the collector market in 20 years - but you can definitively get one in 10 years far below the list price if bought new. The 918 is a marketing gag, not much more. I would never buy one Smiley

It definitely is a car driven a lot by marketing, its price and Porsche's purchasing politic (deposit of 50k euros) are wrong.

You'd have to be a complete Porsche donkey to sign up early. I am not ashamed to admit I am probably the biggest of them all.

Re batteries, very good comment guys, when I asked Udo (project chief engineer and incidently a very very cool guy) a while back, he said no, no battery evolution.

I will the question again at the next costumer's workshop, probably in Weissach again, this time, costumers will be allowed to drive early prototypes, should be quite exciting, despite all the negativity that surrounds this car.

MKSGR

You cannot go wrong (also in terms of value) with a nice collection of GTO, F40, F50 (maybe?) and Enzo (maybe?)...

The fantastic four! Smiley

Humm, GTO is the best of the bunch today as an investment if you ask me.

F40, they made too many and yet it goes up, which proves its mythical status amongst Ferrari lovers, probably the prettiest, fiercest, no nonsense, best Ferrari of all time.

Everybody loves the F40, every 30 to 40 yrs old man had it on its bedroom wall. Cool car and awesome history. I can only imagine Enzo going: Make me the best Ferrari ever to celebrate our 40th anniversary. And by the way, you only have one year to do it.Smiley

F50 is the unloved one and yet, only 349 units and prices are stable. Will it take off? It's weird, a superior car to the F40 in every single aspect and yet, it remains unloved.

Enzo is the for me the ugly ducking. Tortured design. Its creator is called Ken and that is unforgivable. Smiley

Outclassed by the Carrera GT, I've driven both and that remains my personal opinion but for me, the GT is more complete car and its value is actually going down a bit now. So it might prove a good investment but IMHO, not yet.

Ken Watanabe is a pretty cool actor though :) I guess being called Ken is OK if you're Japanese or if you have Barbie as your girlfriend :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

Ken Watanabe is a pretty cool actor though :) I guess being called Ken is OK if you're Japanese or if you have Barbie as your girlfriend :)

Ken Watanabe rulls as the last Samourai, he's awesome!

But he doens't design Ferraris.Smiley

Futch:
    MKSGR

The fantastic four! Smiley

Humm, GTO is the best of the bunch today as an investment if you ask me.

F40, they made too many and yet it goes up, which proves its mythical status amongst Ferrari lovers, probably the prettiest, fiercest, no nonsense, best Ferrari of all time.

Everybody loves the F40, every 30 to 40 yrs old man had it on its bedroom wall. Cool car and awesome history. I can only imagine Enzo going: Make me the best Ferrari ever to celebrate our 40th anniversary. And by the way, you only have one year to do it.Smiley

F50 is the unloved one and yet, only 349 units and prices are stable. Will it take off? It's weird, a superior car to the F40 in every single aspect and yet, it remains unloved.

Enzo is the for me the ugly ducking. Tortured design. Its creator is called Ken and that is unforgivable. Smiley

Outclassed by the Carrera GT, I've driven both and that remains my personal opinion but for me, the GT is more complete car and its value is actually going down a bit now. So it might prove a good investment but IMHO, not yet.

Based on two friend's opinions, of the four cars the F40 is by far the most fun to drive. The F50 is the least fun to drive but also quite rare and a convertible... The Enzo is quickest and the GTO is the most beautiful and the rarest Smiley So you have a reason for each of them to buy one Smiley Smiley

Futch:

Pics  available only on the 918 iPad app for costumers.

Futch, I like the way you spell customers.  Sounds like someone with cool responsibility to share the development cost of the risky new business with the car manufacturer, which in 918's case somewhat true.

Jean:
    Futch:

Futch, I like the way you spell customers.  Sounds like someone with cool responsibility to share the development cost of the risky new business with the car manufacturer, which in 918's case somewhat true.

Guinea pig of the 21st century, at your service cher Jean!

Futch:
    Jean:
    Futch:

Guinea pig of the 21st century, at your service cher Jean!

Absolutely no responsability and very uncool to pay such a large deposit such a long time in advance.

The car however will be very very cool. And no matter what people say, when you love Porsche, hanging out at Weissach is like a a 10 year old kid given the key to Santa's factory!

Smiley

PS: I did tell Udo to put more effort on the wind buffeting protection, it is one of the CGT's weakpoint.

There you go, my contribution to the 918 developement! Ha! 

Smiley

It's definitely worth it if you consider the experience of being part of Porsche!  Hope Porsche realize this and offer you more of it.  kiss

Jean:

It's definitely worth it if you consider the experience of being part of Porsche!  Hope Porsche realize this and offer you more of it.  kiss

I wish you were right, but we remain clients, and they remain great engineers.

I will endeavour to share the infos I get with Rennteamers though. Smiley

Thanks  - looking forward to it very much  Smiley

Futch:

We are extremely thankful !! Smiley

If the battery does go dead, does it need to be replaced for the car to run? How much more performance do the battery run electric motors add to the car?

--

Futch:

4 directional wheels. 

What does this mean, 4 wheel steering?

mojeIme:
    Futch:

4 directional wheels. 

What does this mean, 4 wheel steering?

Yes

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing how they incorporated this into the super car .I mean how they set it up, and how much of an addvantage this is to regular steering in cornering speeds

Hey Francois, We met a few times at Pozzi in Levallois. Funny to "meet" again on a web forum. I see you have a much bigger collection now (You had a 997 when we met), congratulations!! 

when are you taking delivery of the 918? Im surprised by the weight..is it confirmed by Porsche? 

Take care

Andrew

Andrew Menasce:

Hey Francois, We met a few times at Pozzi in Levallois. Funny to "meet" again on a web forum. I see you have a much bigger collection now (You had a 997 when we met), congratulations!! 

when are you taking delivery of the 918? Im surprised by the weight..is it confirmed by Porsche? 

Take care

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes I remember, you had a Blue Challenge Stradale back then. I should take collection late 2013 amongst the first deliveries, my plan is to drive it to Le Mans to watch Porsche win in LMP1!Smiley

The weight is indeed confirmed, 1650 kgs, very heavy due to the batteries, over 200 kgs of them.

Depends on how you see this car, it's very heavy for a sports car, but even at 1450 kgs, would you thrash a 918 on the track? Not really, I rarely track my GT and more my GT3s.

918 will be a fantastic GT however and on the road, weight is not as important as on the track. But yes, ultimately, it'll still be a heavy car.

Let's wait and see. My Turbo S is not that much lighter for example and it's perfect for the road.

I know it's a long way still but  Francois have you given any thought to what color your like the car the be in? Since the 918 intro I've thought it must look beyond cool on black.

Enmanuel:

I know it's a long way still but  Francois have you given any thought to what color your like the car the be in? Since the 918 intro I've thought it must look beyond cool on black.

Black would indeed look great but my GT is already black and I didn't have the choice as I bought it second hand.

So I think I'm gonna for liquid metal grey, the color of the concept from Geneva, I've seen it live and it is stunning, it changes color according to the lighting, awesome!

There will be a choice of two wheels, the one from the concept, looked odd at first but are in fact great in real life or a more sporty lighter set of wheels whose design hasn't been shown to the public yet.

It did look great from the pictures I saw. I'd go for something a little different myself, since it'll probably be the most common color, a rarer color might make it a more desireable thing in the event of resale ( heres hoping you never have to part with it though kiss) But from the other cars in your stable i'm sure you'll do a fantastic job speccing it. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM