Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Picked up my C63 AMG Coupe PP

Yes, very worried! cheeky

No seriously, I'm sure it's fine......probably. angrysmiley

Congratulations RC!!  Looks great!  kiss

RC:

This is the guy who built my engine...he is only 22 years old. Should I worry ? yes indecision

102414_4_399x600.jpg

Don't worry, with 22 young doctors in their first  internship cut for the first time in people. The young man seems to be very focused and ambitious. You should trust him.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

You found a picture of your engine builder?

Most I had was email correspondence with mine. As luck would have it the same tech build both my CLS55 and ML63 engine, somehow he found me and email me first.

RC:

This is the guy who built my engine...he is only 22 years old. Should I worry ? yes indecision

102414_4_399x600.jpg

As long as you can find out where he lives you are covered Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Congrats, huge fan of the M156.

Many congrats.

I always enjoy the sound of the engine as a co-driver in a C63 sedan of in a friend/neighbor in summer when we play Golf together. Stealth-car when the engine is off, but the C63 attracts a lot of attention while driving. Perfect car to park in front of your office.

Itsme:

Many congrats.

I always enjoy the sound of the engine as a co-driver in a C63 sedan of in a friend/neighbor in summer when we play Golf together. Stealth-car when the engine is off, but the C63 attracts a lot of attention while driving. Perfect car to park in front of your office.

Smiley I just got some laughs on my parking lot because of the 225 tires all around. I explained to the couple (in their 20s) that these are winter wheels but apparently the woman was very amused by the huge quad exhaust pipes but those "tiny" tires. I took it with humor but I really think they both didn't know what car this is, which is a good thing. Smiley

Sound is amazing, my daughter's school started later today and I drove her to school. Close to the school, my daughter asked me to drive with less throttle because she didn't want to attract too much attention. I had my window open, it was pretty "warm" (7°C in the morning) and the exhaust note was quite noticeable. Teenagers... Smiley I bet that my son would have told me to use more throttle. Smiley

Another even funnier incident: When I went to my car ten minutes ago, to pick something up I forgot inside, a customer of mine asked me if I re-activated my wife's car (he was referring to the M3 Cab which I was driving from time to time too). He didn't recognize that this was a different car. Smiley Smiley

Overall, I'm happy I don't have to drive the PTS to work...like I said before, I saw a GTS at my dealership with the same options (minus PCCB) and it looks really aggressive and special in all black. Not really a car for my business. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Whoopsy:

You found a picture of your engine builder?

Most I had was email correspondence with mine. As luck would have it the same tech build both my CLS55 and ML63 engine, somehow he found me and email me first.

He had been interviewed last year for a magazine and this is how I found his photo and his age. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

A small update: The exhaust sound is just amazing, it is like driving a muscle car, I love it.

What I don't like that much is...the steering wheel. The Alcantara feels great but the steering wheel, although small in diameter, is too...thin. I wish the Alcantara part was thicker.

Also a little bit weird: Since the car starts off in the 2nd gear in C (comfort or standard) mode, the torque build-up is huge and if I accelerate too much, the rear wheels kind of start spinning before they put up enough traction. Since I have those tiny winter wheels with 225 tires on the rear, things are sometimes pretty bad. Don't misunderstand me: Traction is really great, once the car starts off but it is that special moment when the car starts moving from standstill and it really is difficult to find the right dosage of throttle from standstill since the throttle response in "C" mode is slightly delayed to avoid a too sudden acceleration. If I switch to "S" mode, the car starts in first gear and it is much easier but the car keeps the gear(s) much longer, so the exhaust note is more noticeable (good when I want it, bad if I don't want it).

Just wanted to keep you updated, guys. 

--

Very cool car, Christian. Congratulations! Hope you get some springtime weather and a chance to really drive it. 

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

RC:

Also a little bit weird: Since the car starts off in the 2nd gear in C (comfort or standard) mode, the torque build-up is huge and if I accelerate too much, the rear wheels kind of start spinning before they put up enough traction. Since I have those tiny winter wheels with 225 tires on the rear, things are sometimes pretty bad. Don't misunderstand me: Traction is really great, once the car starts off but it is that special moment when the car starts moving from standstill and it really is difficult to find the right dosage of throttle from standstill since the

that is exactly what i was referring to. no difference even with the 255's on dry sticky asphalt.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Congrats on the new car Christian it sounds great, but I must have missed something here?

Why did you part with the GTS so soon, I thought you were keeping it for 18 months or so... just wondering..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Looks great, many congrats SmileySmileySmiley

Now: remember the break-in period Smiley

Many congrats on the car, its a beauty!!!! Gotta run, but looking forward to your after wash pictures!

Congrats RC Smiley SmileySmiley

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

AFAIK RC has kept his GTS Cab as well :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

John H:

Congrats on the new car Christian it sounds great, but I must have missed something here?

Why did you part with the GTS so soon, I thought you were keeping it for 18 months or so... just wondering..

I still have my 997 Carrera GTS Cab...didn't you observe it in the photos ? Smiley

The 997 Carrera GTS Cab will go when the Panamera Turbo S arrives. I think I already posted dozens of reasons why I replace the 997 Carrera GTS Cab with the Panamera Turbo S but I guess you need to find that thread in the Panamera forum. Smiley

Main reasons: I don't have the time to drive the GTS and the family hates it (very uncomfortable rear seats for the kids).

--

Sorry - missed the photo and thought that your quote  ("Btw: The GTS is already reserved, a guy came in and fell in love with the car in a second.") was referring to your car..frown

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

John H:

Sorry - missed the photo and thought that your quote  ("Btw: The GTS is already reserved, a guy came in and fell in love with the car in a second.") was referring to your car..frown

No, this was actually referring to the Panamera GTS at my dealer. Sorry about the confusion. Smiley

--

Congrats Christian. Sahhhwweeettt!!

Don't sweat the winter wheels, PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many congrats RC, looks very cool kiss

--

Photos have been made...I will post them soon. Car is not very clean though, the weather is quite weird over here right now, warm (aprox. 10°C) but foggy.

A small update on fuel consumption: I've driven over 150 km now and fuel consumption in the city (keep in mind that I'm still running in the car, no speeds over 145 kph, no rev figure above 4500 rpm) is around 14.3 l / 100 km, which is quite low for such a car. Impressive. I'm driving in "C" mode most of the time but I'm not driving slow and I'm trying to rev up to 4500 rpm, which isn't easy because the car gets too fast in the city. Still...14.3 l / 100 km...this is amazing. Even when my wife drives the X5M or M3 Cab in the city, she never gets less than 18-19 l / 100 km and she really drives very relaxed. The over 21-22 l / 100 km fuel consumption at the beginning seems to be a little bit suspicious to me. I get the feeling (not that I didn't suspect it before) that the car wasn't run in properly by the Mercedes CEO who drove the car before. Question is: Does it make sense to continue run in or doesn't it really matter anymore ? yes I don't need the engine and drivetrain to last over 100k km but at least half of it without any major issues.

--

Congrats Christian - great choice! Its a beast of an engine!

warm it up and have fun. i am at 2200 kms and did not take it too easy. not too aggressive either. no problems with mine whatsoever.

that is a big engine that can take some kicking. i believe the high revving engines need more strict break-in than those big blocks.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

On this point I'm not with you, Sharif.
    @ Christian
    Attention, the engine has indeed a large volume, but is constructed highly complex, with an aluminum crankcase, etc. There has been a lot of damages with this engine if not carefully handled.Smiley
    On the other hand, if you properly observe the break in and always a sufficient warm-up, this engine is very durable.
    Do the rest of the break in period thoroughly thats inevitably for a long engine life. Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Thanks, guys. Meanwhile, I tried to get more info on this and it appears you are right, Conny. Very sensitive engine to warm-up and the break-in apparently is extremely important for the MCT gearbox and especially the LSD. So I'm going to keep it on the safe side for another couple of hundreds of km, break-in should be over fast.

Unfortunately I have a small problem with a fan in the left wheel arch (yes, there is one): It makes an incredibly loud whining noise but usually only when I drive very slow (stop & go traffic) for a longer period of time through the city.

Apparently this is a well known issue with the C63 but, hold your breath, there is no solution yet from Mercedes AMG. The whining doesn't have any effect on the cooling effect or the fan lifetime but it is pretty loud and can be annoying, especially for those outside the car. Interesting issue, I checked for weeks on any known C63 issues but never actually saw this coming. I'm going to check with my mechanic tomorrow but there doesn't seem to be any solution, exchanging the fan doesn't do anything according to what I've been told. Bummer.

I'm also happy my car has a new car warranty: A C63 engine replacement (incl. labor, small parts, etc.) is in the 35-38k EUR range. Ouch. So be careful with aftermarket and/or tuning parts, Mercedes AMG is very strict about that.

--

just noticed you do not have the full leather dash either......would be a nice upgrade....

again the leather-dash was not available for my (hot climate) markets......bummer

i really would have liked to have the extended leather and panoramic sunroof.

anyway, the engine makes up for all of that indecision

--

i also have this whining noise and had no clue what it was. my closest service shop is 500 kms away and i am sure the mechanics there know less about this car than we do. they are used to service 180's and consider a 220 a performance car indecision

i notice that noise only when driven for 30-40 kms. i first thought it's somewhere in the 'back'

--

I didn't have a choice regarding the options, this was a factory car and I had to make my decision fast. This car actually has much more options than I actually wanted (first car had only PP, a Brabus Vmax raise to 300 kph, the LSD and some minor options but nothing special. The car I got has almost everything, only the leather dash and the alarm system (bummer) is missing. New car value was almost 110k EUR. Ouch. 

The whining fan noise comes from a fan behind the wheel arch, unfortunately it is "normal", there is no fix for that yet.

The Panoramic sunroof is something my wife and kids really seem to like but we didn't have the chance yet to try it (weather over here is pretty bad right now, today it snowed again, 3-4°C...brrr).

The engine is a treat but even when I accelerate only a little bit, people turn their heads. I started to drive in "C" mode near my business and near my home and in S+ mode everywhere else. 

Today it was a little bit slippery and yes, even the good winter tires couldn't cope. The huge torque figure at low rpm is a challenge, I just can't wait until it warms up and I can put on my summer wheels. kiss

--

New car price for your C63 AMG coupe here in Australia is 175,000 euros (AUD $217,000). Smiley

I think you got a bargain at 76k euro.

Congrats and safe hyper warping. Smiley

--

2003 Cayenne Turbo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760202 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434117 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80677 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870989 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806127 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM