Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

SportCarGroup:

In that case this car should contain many very attractive options to make those people want it. smiley

Porsche has a lot of fans amongst wealthy individuals and collectors in the important markets. I'm sure most buyers have ordered without even seeing the finished product , and as a fact no one of them has driven it yet. 

From the videos and pictures the production model doesn't look like a 850.000 Euro car. But we have to wait and see. Personally, I'd rather see Porsche concentrate on real models like the front engined coupe and the Ferrari 458/Gallardo rival.

--

"Form follows function"

Waiting is the hardest part...

--

Maybe this layout will be the basis for the mid engine 458 rival, minus some of the CFRP and hybrid system?

The car does nothing for me. If this is the final styling then my reaction is the cars in the video missed a turn at the track and ended up on a public highway. They do not look like a roadcar. I prefer the styling of the CGT.

--

I think this is a sort of marketing exercise by Porsche. They are desperate for sales and therefore are parading mules around with classic racing liveries to gain attention, and possibly more sales. The car does look phenomenal however, definetly some of Mauer's best work so far. I like the details on the 991 and 981, but they are just all pieced together really wrong, and look really weird and awkward compared to their predecessors, but everything about the 918 just looks "right".

As for price, yes, $850k is a massive amount, but I think for what you get (all the hybrid tech) it isn't too bad. Personally  I all of the Hybrid stuff does nothing for me, but I can understand the price based on how much tech is in the car, and how much time they're spending developing it.

My best guess is Porsche will not sell 918, and I'm not sure if they will break even on their time and money investment in this car. But still best of luck to them for creating such a machine, and regardless of the price, I think the 918 is the beginning of a new era of supercars. Not a very good era I might add (TOO MUCH TECH), but that just makes the Carrera GT that much more special. I hope Porsche is smart enough to build that rumored 960 though. If they made it look like the 918, but ditched all the tech and put hydraulic steering and a manual in it, it could be one of the best Porsche ever.

And FWIW, I think part of the reason so many are shocked by the price is because of the fact how mainstream Porsche is getting, 850k seems like a lot. If this were a Pagani or a Ferrari I don't think there would be as much complaining, but whatever, the majority of us couldn't afford one even if it were $450k.

This is how I see this car: This car is not supposed to be a money maker for Porsche. It won’t even make a significant contribution to sales figures. It is a car that is supposed to show-case Porsche's hybrid (and other) technological prowess. It is also serving as a learning platform for future projects.

IMO it's more of a 959 successor then a carrera gt successor. Although with the advertised performance, I think Porsche will have a hard time selling it for 850k.... I seriously don't understand what they were thinking, it's way to heavy...they should have made a true sports car ala CGT, and left the hybrid experiments to panamera, and SUVs.

Something comes to tell me, that 918 will be faster than almost everything out there (despite its weight). Just think of it-4WD, four turning wheels, all the Nm from 0 rpm, PDK, KERS... etc.

GT-R turned the laws of physics for much less money, what to expect for 850k.?

Lets wait and see...

Boyko23:

Something comes to tell me, that 918 will be faster than almost everything out there (despite its weight). Just think of it-4WD, four turning wheels, all the Nm from 0 rpm, PDK, KERS... etc.

Lets wait and see...

not all the Nm, only the electric Nm is available from 0rpm...

And I seriosly doubt it will be faster then te upcoming Enzo replacement, that's supesed to be 1250kgs.(ion ferrari Kilos that is) but even at 1400, it would be way lighter and more powerfull then the 918..

Boyko23:

Lets wait and see...

Very true, I think that Porsche are hiding the real acceleration numbers! Smiley. i hope so. Smiley
    Anyway i'm loving this car more and more day after day and here are some spy shots i found:
    http://www.autojunk.nl/fotos/918-test/78393/5

I think this car goes much beyond just being a very rare and expensive supercar. It show cases their hybrid technology and how fast they can currently go. But beyond that this car serves to advertise the brand Porsche to bring a much much needed halo car for image.. That is why Porsche is show casing it a lot already, why they don't care about high pricing and why it won't make them huge money (despite the price tag). This project serves to finance itself to an extend, create an epic modern halo car with which Porsche will move to their next generation and of course they will go racing in it I can bet you. Some race results, plus super fast on the streets = ideal halo model for Porsche.

I personally think this is absolutely stunning, so sexy and very deserving of a CGT successor branding.. However, I too see it more of a 959 successor, but time will tell. Considering also that we already know Porsche is planning a Spyder as well as hardtop coupe both (perhaps) with optional Track Packs means that they are serious about the 918 being a full fledged halo model at the top of the automotive food chain.

For the haters that are felt somewhat cold by this, I ask you why? This is an epic venture for Porsche and the styling is very much forward and daring. I also really like their aggressive take on a hybrid tech approach to motorsport and I do wish they have some great success with it.. a la Audi with the TDI tech in LeMans for example. I hope that this 918 will beat the Ferrari and of course remains very exclusive and hard to come by.

^

Where did you see the coupe in testing? It's the Spyder all the time, but with added removable roof panel sometimes... I'am very doubtful there is going to be a real coupe!

Atzporsche:

I think this car goes much beyond just being a very rare and expensive supercar. It show cases their hybrid technology and how fast they can currently go. But beyond that this car serves to advertise the brand Porsche to bring a much much needed halo car for image.. That is why Porsche is show casing it a lot already, why they don't care about high pricing and why it won't make them huge money (despite the price tag). This project serves to finance itself to an extend, create an epic modern halo car with which Porsche will move to their next generation and of course they will go racing in it I can bet you. Some race results, plus super fast on the streets = ideal halo model for Porsche.

I personally think this is absolutely stunning, so sexy and very deserving of a CGT successor branding.. However, I too see it more of a 959 successor, but time will tell. Considering also that we already know Porsche is planning a Spyder as well as hardtop coupe both (perhaps) with optional Track Packs means that they are serious about the 918 being a full fledged halo model at the top of the automotive food chain.

For the haters that are felt somewhat cold by this, I ask you why? This is an epic venture for Porsche and the styling is very much forward and daring. I also really like their aggressive take on a hybrid tech approach to motorsport and I do wish they have some great success with it.. a la Audi with the TDI tech in LeMans for example. I hope that this 918 will beat the Ferrari and of course remains very exclusive and hard to come by.

I appreciate your views, but I do disagree. I feel Porsche is the creator of the Ultimate Driving Machine (regardless of what some other brand might say), not the creator of the ultimate technology. I'm afraid that, in creating a technological marvel, it seems to me they are sacrificing the dynamic aspect.

Guys, maybe I am wrong, but to my mind you miss some things about Porsche. This manufacturer historically hi tech oriented. Do you remember 917 magnesium frame, 909 beryllium discs, adjustable turbocharging in 917/10,30... First double clutch transmission in 956. I don't even say about 959... Porsche was always in tech avant garde. Ferrari on other side build conventional cars from tech and materials point. How did ferrari answer on hi tech 959?... F40...steel frame, simple turbo... Nothing special. Beautiful car, but nothing new. Or 917 and 512... Steel frame, steel or alloy engine parts... 917 - alminium or magnesium frame, titan and nikasil engine parts, beryllium disc brakes on early protos(very toxic), titan bolts. All car around was like spaceship.

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Guys, maybe I am wrong, but to my mind you miss some things about Porsche. This manufacturer historically hi tech oriented. Do you remember 917 magnesium frame, 909 beryllium discs, adjustable turbocharging in 917/10,30... First double clutch transmission in 956. I don't even say about 959... Porsche was always in tech avant garde. Ferrari on other side build conventional cars from tech and materials point. How did ferrari answer on hi tech 959?... F40...steel frame, simple turbo... Nothing special. Beautiful car, but nothing new. Or 917 and 512... Steel frame, steel or alloy engine parts... 917 - alminium or magnesium frame, titan and nikasil engine parts, beryllium disc brakes on early protos(very toxic), titan bolts. All car around was like spaceship.

--

sportcars-history.com

Completely agree! Porsche always had that ''high-tech-engineering aura'' around themselves, which actually attracted me to them more than to any other brand.Smiley

kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

I'm absolutely not denying that, but there's a difference in performance boosting technology/lightweight technology and carrying hundreds of kilo's of batteries in order to satisfy a -imo- useless green agenda. Smiley

Porker:
    kudryavchik:

I'm absolutely not denying that, but there's a difference in performance boosting technology/lightweight technology and carrying hundreds of kilo's of batteries in order to satisfy a -imo- useless green agenda. Smiley

Well,

I do hope that not all of it is useless. It massively depends how heavy the car will be in the end. The CGT was announced at a lower weight as well and ended up at... 1450 kg? In my opinion, 200 kg of weight at a low center of gravity does not have to be the decisive factor. I agree though that one has to ask what this car is built for then.

On the other hand, it might pave the way super cars are perceived in the future. Less noisy and environmental unfriendly when driving through the city yet providing stunning performance. For me, it is not so much if they should incorporate this system but how good they implement it...

I look at this as Porsche beginning to develop and gain experience in alternative energy sources for the cars they produce. Ultimately out of this will come the engineering knowledge and expertise to build lighter more efficient hybrid technology.  I look at what Audi's Diesel LMP1 program has done for their production cars as a good example of what we can expect from Porsche's hybrid technology.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Porker:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

Oh trust me, it'll handle much better than the CGT.. and especially it'll be easier to drive daily.. the GT3 series didn't really lose that driving edge, yet became very potent as a comfortable daily.. that's Porsche for ya! Making not just sports cars but also very durable and lasting machines.. this is only achieved with over-engineered products and rigorous testing.

dxpetrov:

^

Where did you see the coupe in testing? It's the Spyder all the time, but with added removable roof panel sometimes... I'am very doubtful there is going to be a real coupe!

Well the racing version presented at the Auto show had a fixed roof, so it doesn't take much to introduce it to broaden the target clients. Smiley

Porker:
    kudryavchik:

--

sportcars-history.com

It's not useless, it's development for future. 

--

sportcars-history.com

With so many pictures of the 918 I'm not quite sure if these are new:  http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/porsche-918-spyder-in-martini-livery-hot-weather-testing-in-spain/

First skeptical, now a believer. kiss

If you have the extra $$ to get one you would be crazy not to.blush

WOOW, stunning just F------- STUNNING angel 

JimFlat6:

First skeptical, now a believer. kiss

If you have the extra $$ to get one you would be crazy not to.blush

Exactly my thoughts! IT REALLY IS A MASTER PIECE !

The only thing that gets a little up my nose, is the association (through the various livery reiterations) between this car and the 917.

The 917 was a full-out prototype (even though the rules at the time required a build of 25 identical cars for homologation). Unlike the 918, it was never actually meant to be a road going car.

The true heir to the 917 will be the upcoming LMP1 car.

Spyderidol, on one side I agree with you on the other hand the Martini branding is linking not only with the 917 but also with the 2.8 RSR , the 911 Safari etc . You could even have the street 930 in Martini livery custom ordered in the  Sonderwunsch department (the precursor of the Exclusive dept)  , so to me this is more a link to the Porsche racing heritage that those Martini cars so well represented (rather than and specifically with the 917). In that sense I am very happy to see the 918  with those liveries , will be a fantastic car.

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Here's some more wink

Erlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-69253411-615280.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-7181851e-615276.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-64316fd7-615268.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-63510caf-615285.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-e17053e2-615283.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-e9dfba82-615284.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-c0d589b1-615272.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-bebe5597-615267.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-21e89022-615270.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-3ab94a1-615269.jpg2014-porsche-918-spyder-spy-shots_100396959_l.jpg2014-porsche-918-spyder-spy-shots_100396958_l.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-6149ab6a-615281.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-173b8e73-615279.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-78fd2c4-615286.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-25fea476-615278.jpgSpyshots-Porsche-918-Spyder-in-Spain-005.jpgSpyshots-Porsche-918-Spyder-in-Spain-007.jpgSpyshots-Porsche-918-Spyder-in-Spain-009.jpgSpyshots-Porsche-918-Spyder-in-Spain-0031-680x458.jpgErlkoenig-Porsche-918-Spyder-19-fotoshowImageNew-f7b5e387-615287.jpgge5112348952654102233.jpgge5132332006728516638.jpgge5185240935376856483.jpgge5272161894226777172.jpgge5272299608561737195.jpgge5684934540015638490.jpgSpyshots-Porsche-918-Spyder-in-Spain-001.jpg

--

the car looks gorgeous !!!! angel

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688576 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408704 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234786 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65394 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857584 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773378 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM