Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

RC:

Smiley Smiley Seriously...we have one and it is quite focused on the Urus. Smiley

Don't say that kind of thing to Whoopsy ! you know on topic threads stand no chance against him !

Whoopsy:

Austria. Hmm, no. Hell no.

I think Germany should just invade and seize the bit of Austria between Germany and Italy. I know the Austrian won't miss it, it's all mountains anyway.

The Wiener Schnitzel here in excellent and the pass roads too. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I can have that in Germany!

Oh did I mentioned I did a big fuck you to Austria by not buying a sticker for their highway?

--

Whoopsy:

Oh did I mentioned I did a big fuck you to Austria by not buying a sticker for their highway?

Well...120 EUR if they catch you, no big deal. I just hope their automated system didn't photograph you because they will send the bill to Germany and I'm afraid the German authorities will send it further to you. No big deal either if you never plan to come back to Germany. Smiley The EU can be tricky...but maybe you're lucky and they overlooked you. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Maybe some will think I am cocky, saying what I say because I have an R. They can think like that all they want, but I did drive the shit out if it. 

Not cocky Nick but rather more free from bias than most IMO. Since you have several such cars and change them frequently, you are not as tied to a certain car which makes you more bias or have much more post-purchase rationalization, if you don't objectively like it you simply move on to another one without it having big consequences... not even going to mention reporters which simply need to sell reviews/articles and "move" readers with their stories. So I while there is still the subjectiveness of each one's individual preferences and tastes, I would place heavier weight on your criticisms and praises on the 991R than most others I would read, and in the context of your personal tastes and preferences that you have shown in general on cars Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

This is an excellent point.  The sheer choice afforded by lack of financial constraints enables Nick's opinions to be even more relevant. Smiley

Whoopsy:

I did the same to the Swiss, and I have no regrets! Wouldn't even take my Euros there... bunch of snobs. Smiley

I did the same to Italians, but they come after me smiley,it was just a ohummm, Finger...

JoeRockhead:
    Whoopsy:

I did the same to the Swiss, and I have no regrets! Wouldn't even take my Euros there... bunch of snobs. Smiley

228,50 EUR if they catch you...Switzerland.

--

And this is why so many Austrians leave!  Including my family.  Starting with my great Aunt Hedy.

Cheers!

Because they get a fine when breaking the law? indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Or because they had to pay a 40 euro sticker/tax that allows you to drive for a whole year on the highway Smiley Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

Or because they had to pay a 40 euro sticker/tax that allows you to drive for a whole year on the highway Smiley Smiley

Best 40 Euros I ever spent Smiley  Never even received a speeding ticket in the mail (received two small ones from Germany) - all well worth it...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Gnil:

Yes, shocking! Let's emigrate to the US.

--

Gnil:

Or because they had to pay a 40 euro sticker/tax that allows you to drive for a whole year on the highway Smiley 

Don't you also pay 0.75 CHF per litre in fuel taxes in Switzerland? Seems the 40 Euro sticker is a bit of a cash grab, but I guess the populace over there doesn't mind being screwed over in that fashion?  SmileySmiley

JoeRockhead:
    Gnil:

Or because they had to pay a 40 euro sticker/tax that allows you to drive for a whole year on the highway Smiley 

Don't you also pay 0.75 CHF per litre in fuel taxes in Switzerland? Seems the 40 Euro sticker is a bit of a cash grab, but I guess the populace over there doesn't mind being screwed over in that fashion?  SmileySmiley

I was just about to sit down with a single malt and a fine cigar to polish my Swiss gold bars in front of a fire lit with CHF 100 bills. Fuel tax? Pfff. No one cares around here. It is like small change. Throw away.

Yes, you are about right about the petrol tax in Switzerland, but it is even 10% higher in Germany and France, and 25% higher in Italy. Only Austria is about 10% lower.

I don't mind paying for the sticker, I do however think that it is a stupid way to pay. For Swiss registered cars they could simply send you a bill to pay and then save printing and distributing all those stickers. Only foreign cars would then need the sticker.

--

bluelines:
    JoeRockhead:
    Gnil:

I was just about to sit down with a single malt and a fine cigar to polish my Swiss gold bars in front of a fire lit with CHF 100 bills. Fuel tax? Pfff. No one cares around here. It is like small change. Throw away.

Yes, you are about right about the petrol tax in Switzerland, but it is even 10% higher in Germany and France, and 25% higher in Italy. Only Austria is about 10% lower.

I don't mind paying for the sticker, I do however think that it is a stupid way to pay. For Swiss registered cars they could simply send you a bill to pay and then save printing and distributing all those stickers. Only foreign cars would then need the sticker.

We were passing through on our way to France from Italy, and spent one night in Bern. I was in a rental car, and just couldn't be bothered taking the time to find one. Seems like an antiquated way to go about it and doesn't exactly promote tourism from folks that pass through once or twice a year, but I accepted the risk and didn't get caught. I hope the statute of limitations has expired now that I have confessed. Smiley

JoeRockhead:

We were passing through on our way to France from Italy, and spent one night in Bern. I was in a rental car, and just couldn't be bothered taking the time to find one. Seems like an antiquated way to go about it and doesn't exactly promote tourism from folks that pass through once or twice a year, but I accepted the risk and didn't get caught. I hope the statute of limitations has expired now that I have confessed. Smiley

It is indeed antiquated. Or traditional if you want to put a more positive spin on it Smiley

--

Guys, what are you bitching about? I live in Sweden , the WORLD TAX CHAMPION but far.........surprisemail

The farmer:

Guys, what are you bitching about? I live in Sweden , the WORLD TAX CHAMPION but far.........surprisemail

Smiley

--

bluelines:

It is indeed antiquated. Or traditional if you want to put a more positive spin on it Smiley

... and that neatly summarizes many Germans' view on Austria and its citizens.... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

And just as quickly, the Euro road trip is finished. This morning we went to the Mercedes Museum, and then headed to the airport early as there is the Retro Classic car show right next door. Oh wow, what a show, so many cars!

When I return the car, some car paparazzi were there taking pictures of 2 918s that came in for service. One silver and one black. They got a treat with my car too parked right outside waiting for transport back to Leipzig.

IMG_3030.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG

--

bluelines:
    Gnil:

There are many other good reasons.  I really don't get the animosity and hate directed my way.

if you don't think that laws in Europe are overly intrusive and all the little fines and taxes and rules and tolls are a bit over the top then you are welcome to stay and pay. Do I insult you for doing anything?  Is it required to insult me?  Go ahead if you must but realize that you may be the only one who thinks you are being a nice person when doing such things. 

I don't wish to stoke this argument, but if the roads in the US were as spectacular (and as phenomenally maintained) as the Swiss ones, I'd be more than happy to pay more tax for that product.

IMG_5666.JPG

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

IMG_5677.JPG

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Leawood911:
    bluelines:
    Gnil:

There are many other good reasons.  I really don't get the animosity and hate directed my way.

if you don't think that laws in Europe are overly intrusive and all the little fines and taxes and rules and tolls are a bit over the top then you are welcome to stay and pay. Do I insult you for doing anything?  Is it required to insult me?  Go ahead if you must but realize that you may be the only one who thinks you are being a nice person when doing such things. 

Chill .... it was just a little joking. The way it came across opened the door for it. No harm meant at all 🤝Yes all taxes are irritating and there is a lot to be said about them, but all has to be taken into the big picture. Will not go down that route it would lead back to politics 😉  If you drive on the French highways , one day will cost you more in toll then that 40 euro sticker.  Also less then the taxes at each national park entrence between Nevada and Colorado ... just saying. 

One needs also to know what the money is used for ... and in this case it goes to maintain the Swiss roads who have a very high costs due to the numerous bridges , tunnels and mountain roads. 

--

Leawood911:
    bluelines:
    Gnil:

@leawood - @Gnil really meant no harm by his comment.

It started with bluelines. I understand @gnil and I am sorry if it appears I meant him.  

I love Austria 🇦🇹 as it is my home. But since I lived there in the 60's rules and taxes are just silly. Of course there are always good reasons to tax. The roads are posterchildren for taxes just like the poor and sick. I get that. As long as you are all happy at the price you are in the tax sweet spot. Cool. 

Sorry if I seem cross. My wife has been in the hospital for the last ten days fighting for her life. Long story short she is back home recovering while waiting for more surgery. Life is never fair but it is the most valuable thing. 

Very sorry to hear that Leawood, that is very tragic news, hope she has a good recovery, wish her the best

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Leawood911:

It started with bluelines. I understand @gnil and I am sorry if it appears I meant him.  

I love Austria 🇦🇹 as it is my home. But since I lived there in the 60's rules and taxes are just silly. Of course there are always good reasons to tax. The roads are posterchildren for taxes just like the poor and sick. I get that. As long as you are all happy at the price you are in the tax sweet spot. Cool. 

Sorry if I seem cross. My wife has been in the hospital for the last ten days fighting for her life. Long story short she is back home recovering while waiting for more surgery. Life is never fair but it is the most valuable thing. 

Sorry to hear that - best of luck to your wife with her health issues

crayphile:
    Leawood911:
    bluelines:
    Gnil:

@leawood - @Gnil really meant no harm by his comment.

👍 of course you got it. You' re English ! 😃

--

@ Leawood. Wishing you all the very best. Must be a horrible moment. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM