Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Much improved PSE exhaust sound on my GTS..

On Saturday I installed the Carnewal PSE Remote Device, or as RC has called it, the “Magic Box”. Smiley

It is fantastic – just can’t think why I didn’t do it when RC first suggested it 6 months ago!  It makes that much difference that I couldn’t stop driving the car long enough to post this yesterday!!

Firstly, I can’t praise Gert at Carnewal highly enough – he was so helpful, even though I took so long to order, and he answered all my emails promptly.  Once the order was placed it arrived 2 days later via FedEx with no delivery charge...Smiley

The installation instructions arrived at the same time, by email, including illustrations...

1330358365837Carnewal Remote 1.jpg

These are the gist of the instructions...

1) Push in the spring wire and unplug the original black connector from the PSE valve.

2) Plug the male connector from the PSE module into the female original black connector.

3) Plug the female connector from the PSE module into the PSE valve.

4) Now you need to connect the black wire coming out of the module with the ground (-12V).

5) Note that the bracket of the PSE valve or the alu air intake are not to ground.

6) Easiest way is to strip off 2” of the isolation and turn it around the alu airco line, located just below the PSE valve. Secure with a tie wrap or use some tape to isolate.

7) Another option is to connect the black/red wire to the hinge of the rear deck (see photo).
    For this, you can use a red round clamp that is included. (I chose this method)

8) To check if you have made a good contact with the ground, switch on the contact (don’t start the engine).

9) If you make contact with a ground, you will hear the relay inside the module clicking when you push the buttons on the remote.

10) Be careful as on some 997 models the + and – of the original PSE connector are inversed!

This means that the module does not get +12V on the pin where there should be +12V.

In this case you need to move the single red wire to the other side of the male connector.

You can get the pin out of the male connector by pushing two paper-clips in each hole next to the pin.

11) Slide the box in the space on the right side of the engine bay. There are 2 rubber hoses going to the front, the module fits nicely between these and the sound isolation.

12) You can always use some straps to hold it place.  Now secure the cabling and you’re done...

Carnewal Remote 2.jpg

The procedure was simple enough, even for me, and would have taken only about 15 minutes but for one complication!  When I checked the contact, as per item (8) above, there was no clicking sound from the module.  This meant that, on my GTS, the original PSE connector was inversed.

This meant I had to comply with the instruction (10) highlighted above.  This took about another 15 minutes to complete but the whole precess was no more than a half-hour!

The gas pressures from both inner and outer pipes are now equalised both when the car is cold and when fully warmed up..

I now have the sound I've been missing so much and there will be no potential warranty issues as the device can be uninstalled very easily.

Probably the best £100 I've ever spent....SmileySmiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Re: Much improved PSE exhaust sound on my GTS..

Well that was easy enough. Now go and keep enjoying that great GTS kiss

I only hear high praise for Gert at Carnewal, glad you're happy with the result!

Now make sure we get to see that GTS in the flesh this spring/summer!

Great news John! Wish I knew this when I had my 997.2. Always thought the 997.2 PSE was a let down compared to the 997.1 PSE disconnected.

Wonder if there are similar hacks available for the 991 ... or maybe that is not necessary because it's already enhanced from 997...

Anyway.. enjoy the sound!! kiss

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Great to hear John!kiss, it seems like a small detail but the sound makes such a difference in the experienmc e I can't concieve a 911 wiyhout the sport exhaust.

--

Lukas:

Great news John! Wish I knew this when I had my 997.2. Always thought the 997.2 PSE was a let down compared to the 997.1 PSE disconnected.

Hi Lukas - yes it was the one thing that I preferred on my previous car..

I'd certainly recommend this device to any 997.2 owners with PSE..kiss

--

I guess I shouldn't tell you "I told you". indecision

wink

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Hi Frank - Gert deserves all the praise he gets.  Nothing seems too much trouble for him..Smiley

BTW - are you making a return to 'The Triangle' this year..?  Smiley

--

RC:

Is this modification a potential warranty issue?

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

wink

Yes you did and more fool me for taking 6 months to listen...! Smiley  Smiley

--

reginos:
    RC:

Could be but...not traceable in any way and...removable in one minute (!). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:
    reginos:
    RC:

Could be but...not traceable in any way and...removable in one minute (!). Smiley

Thank you.

--

"Form follows function"

John H:

Hi Frank - Gert deserves all the praise he gets.  Nothing seems too much trouble for him..Smiley

BTW - are you making a return to 'The Triangle' this year..?  Smiley

edit -lost my post two times-

No Triangle-trips anytime soon, my M3 will move to the Nürburgring to serve as track-only toy from now on, so I don't have a fun road car for the time being. You'll just have to come in our direction I'm afraid! Smiley

John, glad you found a solution which works for you.  Smiley

+1

Great news John. I'm glad you're enjoying your 997 Carrera GTS as much as ever :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Very cool option!!!

RC:
    reginos:
    RC:

Well, one minute might be pushing it a bit..Smiley  But, once removed, there's no way to tell it had ever been fitted..Smiley

--

John, I'm curious about two things.  Firstly, what effect has this had on the sound of your PSE?  You mention that it equalises the gas pressures (internal and external), but has this actually changed the nature of the exhaust sound or is it just like having PSE on all the time?  Also, how have you stopped that box from sliding around in your engine bay - did you strap it down or just wedge it into the available space?

John H:
    RC:
    reginos:
    RC:

Well, one minute might be pushing it a bit..Smiley  But, once removed, there's no way to tell it had ever been fitted..Smiley

OK...two minutes but this really should be enough. Smiley

--

PureBlue:

John, I'm curious about two things.  Firstly, what effect has this had on the sound of your PSE?  You mention that it equalises the gas pressures (internal and external), but has this actually changed the nature of the exhaust sound or is it just like having PSE on all the time?  Also, how have you stopped that box from sliding around in your engine bay - did you strap it down or just wedge it into the available space?

PB - (sorry, I don't know your first name, but I've invited you to be a 'friend' so maybe I'll find out... if you accept?).  After all we GTS'ers should stick together.. there still aren't many of us on R/T...Smiley

To answer your questions... it has a greater effect than simply PSE on via the switch.  I think it was Reginos who pointed out that the position of the flaps vary with normal PSE in that the outer pipes are fully open for a short time, when the engine is first started, but close somewhat fairly soon afterwards.  From that time on the flaps apparently vary in position, I presume to comply with International legal requirements.  This has an adverse effect on the volume and quality of sound.  The Carnewal device keeps the outer pipes open constantly at all times in harmony with the inner pipes and therefore dramatically improves the overall sound.  I think the sound is actually better than on my 997.1 with mod.  Maybe not quite so loud but certainly more melodic and with more pops and crackles.  In short my car now growls at low speed but still howls additively at higher revs.

The box sits happily wedged between the two tubes and the sound insulation without straps.

Hope that this clarifies my findings...wink

--

Eunice - my above post was 'swallowed' when I pressed 'submit' and reverted me to the home page!

Fortunately I'd copied it before submitting and, on the second attempt, it listed successfully. So there still seems to be a problem even using Firefox..surprise

--

John, thanks for clarifying your findings - sounds good.  Smiley

(BTW, I've accepted your invite - not sure what this means though).

PureBlue:

It means we are now friends and that I now have 24 hour access to your bank account!  Smiley

--

indecision We will try to improve our "friends" feature further but right now, we have to deal with other issues I'm afraid. frown

--

John H:
    PureBlue:

It means we are now friends and that I now have 24 hour access to your bank account!  Smiley

Haha, go ahead and plunder - there's not much cash left after buying 3 new cars in the past 5 months.  Smiley

Hi PB - being a 'friend' really means you get to know more about the person from their profile.  In your case your profile settings are pretty limited.  In other words you haven't set them to divulge more information about yourself than you do to other members or simply visitors!

I still don't know your name, for instance, but you will have a lot more info on me.. due to my choice of profile settings.

That's it in a nutshell, although friends do tend to communicate more via PM's....wink

--

John, thanks for clarifying.  I'll update my profile to be more informative (haven't changed it since joining, when I was still somewhat wary of access settings and didn't want to divulge too much information).  Smiley

Meanwhile you've got another friend request Mr. Pure. Your newfound popularity knows no boundaries! smiley

Your report on the mod is very interesting. So it does really improve the sound ! What I like to hear are the ' growls' ... so I am now very tempted.

I did once disconect the pressure hose, but did not find that the sound had improved by any satisfying margin.

If the sound with this divise stays always like the sound we get just when we turn the engine on when cold ( before the outer flaps close again ) then I would also be very happy to spend 100 £ indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil - I can only speak as I find.  The sound doesn't stay quite as loud as when the car is first started from cold, but then neither did it on the 997.1 PSE with mod!

It certainly continues to growl and pop & crackle and doesn't lose any of the high rev howl.  I've just returned from a 200 mile round trip and can assure you that there is a definite improvement - the exhaust note is far more evident and enjoyable than the muted stock experience..kiss

For best results it must be said that, with PDK, you should preferably be in manual sport or sport-plus modes.  PDK in itself will reduce the desired effect if left in auto/normal.  A stick shift will always give better control over the exhaust note for obvious reasons!

I remember the disconnecting of the pressure hose that you did, together I think, with Bluelines at the time.  My feeling was, and still is, that the wrong tube was chosen... yes

My recommendation is that you try the Carnewal device and make up your own mind.  If you're not convinced.. then it's very easy to remove without trace...wink

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM