Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New M diesel models

Autocar M550d xDrive first drive. Redline at 5.500 rpm...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BMW-M5-M550d-xDrive/261468/

--

911 Carrera 3.2 - Cayenne Diesel

Sick engine!! But these cars/trucks are due for a redesign... No changes in 5 years.

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

impressive launch control, transmission seems snappy and sounds nothing like a diesel from inside

Funny enough it seems that the car might accelerate faster at approx. 220kph if the driver would have shifted to the next higher gear earlier? Maybe the acceleration would be better if he busted used the automatic shifting program Smiley

A disgrace to the M badge what BMW is doing lately enlightened

Atzporsche:

A disgrace to the M badge what BMW is doing lately enlightened

+1.  It just keeps getting worse and worse.  Smiley

0-200 kph in 21 seconds...not bad for a Diesel.

Guys, I agree...BMW shouldn't market these cars using the M designation but let's be honest, this car puts especially Porsche, a true sports car brand, to shame with their Panamera Diesel, which btw. isn't even available with AWD.

The M550d is a slap into Porsche's Diesel face and I truly believe that this BMW is going to hurt Panamera Diesel sales a lot if Porsche doesn't come up with something at least as fast.

I'm a little bit curious about the BMW's Diesel consumption: If this car manages to get an average consumption of under 10 liters / 100 km, it will be a huge success for BMW but if it eats 12-14 liters or even more (fast driving), this could be a problem for BMW. It still is a Diesel and people buy Diesel for certain reasons, especially because of a much lower consumption. The price tag is kind of steep too but I have to admit that this car fascinates me...IF the consumption is low. Any word on real life Diesel consumption ?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC-they are claiming 45MPG=5.2l/100km. So real consumption should be around 7l/100km which is fantastic

The engine is ridiculously good! But the interior of the car is 5+years old for my eye

--
    2012 Cayenne TT (on order for june 2012), 997.1 Targa 4s, 2009 Q5 3.2

BlackSparrow:

RC-they are claiming 45MPG=5.2l/100km. So real consumption should be around 7l/100km which is fantastic

The engine is ridiculously good! But the interior of the car is 5+years old for my eye

7 l / 100 km ? I highly doubt it. I got an average of around 9 l / 100 km, spirited but not aggressive driving, from a 535d.

They claim aprox. 1.2 l / 100 km more for the M550d engine, so I'd say that real life consumption should be in the 10-11 l / 100 km range, which is still impressive but not sensational anymore. This would also indicate that aggressive usage of the power and torque would probably mean 13-14 l / 100 km consumption, minimum. Still less than on a fuel engine with similar performance but not that sensational to justify the higher price tag.

Also keep in mind that the 550i V8 fuel engine gets a power bump to 450 hp soon and while the performance difference from 0-100 kph wouldn't be really noticeable, the 0-200 kph performance difference should be in the 6-7 seconds range, which is quite a lot.

Right now, the current 535d xDrive seems like the better (Diesel) deal, since the base price difference in Germany is almost 21k EUR. Ouch.

The M550d xDrive costs even almost 7k EUR more than the equivalent 550i xDrive, which, like I mentioned before, will get that hp bump to 450 horses. Why would someone pay more for less performance if the fuel/Diesel consumption isn't really that much different ? I don't know. Smiley

Maybe the powerful Diesel makes more sense in the X5... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

In the latest issue of the German AMS is a detailed test of the new M550xD.

Acceleration from 0-100 kp/h: 5.0 sec
    Acceleration from 0-200 kp/h: 20.5 sec
    Test consumption on average: 11.6 liters diesel.

These values are generally disappointing and do not justify the high purchase price for a 550xD imho.enlightened In Germany the price with the usual extras will be at least  100.000, - €.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Disappointing indeed. Seems as if more does not always mean better automatically. Better to save 13.500 Euro and go with the 535dxD instead.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Disappointing indeed. Seems as if more does not always mean better automatically. Better to save 13.500 Euro and go with the 535dxD instead.

--

Disappointing? Why? These are very good values for a Diesel car, the performance is better than on a 993 Carrera 2.

I know many people expected wonders from the M Diesel engine but M GmbH would have been a fool to offer the same or even close performance as the fuel engines.

Still waiting for a powerful Diesel engine on the Cayenne and Panamera models but apparently the 250 hp Diesel owners are happy, so I wonder if Porsche will really up the Diesel game considerably or if they just offer a mild upgrade to 280 hp or so and be done with it.

--

RC:
    Rossi:

Disappointing? Why? These are very good values for a Diesel car, the performance is better than on a 993 Carrera 2.

I know many people expected wonders from the M Diesel engine but M GmbH would have been a fool to offer the same or even close performance as the fuel engines.

Still waiting for a powerful Diesel engine on the Cayenne and Panamera models but apparently the 250 hp Diesel owners are happy, so I wonder if Porsche will really up the Diesel game considerably or if they just offer a mild upgrade to 280 hp or so and be done with it.

Yes, the values are good, so disappointing isn't meant absolutely, but relatively in comparison to a 535d, as I said. Smiley

--

Just another sign that the M GmbH is dead. They are whoring out the M badge, it's putting the hot asian ricer boys to shame. enlightened

Rossi:

Yes, the values are good, so disappointing isn't meant absolutely, but relatively in comparison to a 535d, as I said. Smiley

--

I see it in the similar way. The absolute values are excellent for a diesel. No question about it.
    But yes, I had higher expectations, causes by BMW itself in which they added the „M“ in the model designation. Smiley

So I would compare it for example with the 535xD, the M5 or even with my X5M, a very heavy SUV. (0-100 4.7, 0-200 16.5).
    Interestingly, I heard last week that BMW, at least for now, will apply not any discount for an M550xD. If you consider the known discounts for a M5, then at the end both vehicles cost the same in reality, if you look at the sticker for a M550xd including extras. Personally I would prefer then the M5 without any doubt.

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Atzporsche:

Just another sign that the M GmbH is dead. They are whoring out the M badge, it's putting the hot asian ricer boys to shame. enlightened

Why would you say that after years of launching the brilliant M5, 1M, M3 GTS, ...

They're just adapting themselves to the changing times imo.

It's true, they are good cars... but the introduction of M cabrios, diesels, SUVs, x-drive does not help.

AMG is adapting too, without deteriorating the badge's imagine in such a way. Besides, I'd like to think that BMW is much more serious about sports and track performance with their M// division than MB is aiming for with their AMG segment.

Atzporsche:

It's true, they are good cars... but the introduction of M cabrios, diesels, SUVs, x-drive does not help.

AMG is adapting too, without deteriorating the badge's imagine in such a way.

I don´t see the problem in the model variants they offer. They just don´t seem to hit the sweet spot anymore when it comes to customers´ appreciation with their current models. i have never owned an M car so cannot comment on them for everyday driving but their core value, just as Porsche´s, has been their engineering superiority. Nowadays some of their models seem to be a product of marketing which subsequently the engineering department had to turn into something successful.

The M550d seems to share the same fate, it is a great car but might face some very high expectations that it might not be able to meet due to the M badge. 

Yes you are totally right. I can't see what an X6 550xd has to do with the M badge, that is perhaps the problem. BMW has had to evolve the niche to reach a wider common audience.

Just to add that measued weight of M550 xDrive is 2050kg. That is a lot indeed...

Atzporsche:

Remember the E30 M3 convertible? As long as they do whatever is necessary to liberate the funds for the creation of great enthousiast's cars, I'm fine with it.

Besides, as an everyday proposition an M550d is a fantastic car, (agreed, the 'm' designation isn't necessary), I can only be happy with its existence.

Sport Auto May 2012 issue M550d X Drive test

0-100km/h: 5.1s

0-200km/h:19.1s

18m Slalom: 63,7km/h

2036kg

Hockenheim Klein Kurs 1.19,1min(just for comparison Pana D time is 1.18,3min)

I did not want to write following words initially, but IMvHO M550d x Drive is inert heavy limo not worth to carry M badge at all.

BTW, Pana TS was compared in same issue with M5 and E63 PP. Interesting enough Sport Auto dyno tested all three cars: Pana TS 555ps(oficial 550ps), M5 620ps!!(oficial 560ps), E63 PP 610ps(oficial 557ps).  Pana TS was clearly the fastest car both in 0-200km/h and on Hockenheim Klein Kurs.

Sport Auto May 2012 Test BMW M5, Mercedes AMG und Panamery Turbo S:

The brakes on the BMW are also not  original.

Summary:

1. Either our cars are not street legal  (at least in Germany) or
    2. no one even needs a car magazine, because the cars tested only have the name and the look in common with our customer cars.

The manufacturers are trying to sell us for fools. Respect that the newspaper at least gently writes the truth. 

AutoBILD Sportscars (M550d): 0-100 kph in 5 seconds flat and 0-200 kph in 19.2 seconds.

Still...not even close to the M5 but pretty impressive for a Diesel.

Real world Diesel consumption was 10 l / 100 km. A friend who drove the Diesel achieved 11.7 l / 100 km while driving pretty hard and he said he saw over 12 l / 100 km when driving at top speed. Still very impressive for such a performance.

--

Itsme:

Sport Auto May 2012 Test BMW M5, Mercedes AMG und Panamery Turbo S:

The brakes on the BMW are also not  original.

Summary:

1. Either our cars are not street legal  (at least in Germany) or
    2. no one even needs a car magazine, because the cars tested only have the name and the look in common with our customer cars.

The manufacturers are trying to sell us for fools. Respect that the newspaper at least gently writes the truth. 

Could you please specify? Smiley

--

Christian,

I can only tell you that both M5 and E63 PP press examples that were tested by Sport Auto are clearly way more powerfull then what is written in specs. Sport Auto dynoed all three cars and only Panamera Turbo S achieved accepted numbers(555ps, original specs are 550ps).

M5 achived 620ps(!!!) and original specs are 560ps... So, I assume that itsme wanted to point out in that direction...?

Are all costumer M5 also 620ps? Or only special press examples?

My advice is to go to nearest newsstand and to buy latest issue of Sport Auto-you really need to read it for yourself.

My werdict is-thank God that we still have that kind of honest car press that was represented in latest Sport Auto.

RC:

AutoBILD Sportscars (M550d): 0-100 kph in 5 seconds flat and 0-200 kph in 19.2 seconds.

Still...not even close to the M5 but pretty impressive for a Diesel.

Real world Diesel consumption was 10 l / 100 km. A friend who drove the Diesel achieved 11.7 l / 100 km while driving pretty hard and he said he saw over 12 l / 100 km when driving at top speed. Still very impressive for such a performance.

SportAuto reports an average test fuel consumption of 12.8l/100km. They also state that the 550d is the car with the biggest gap between claimed and actual fuel consumption.

Two posts above I just read that the M5 test car sent to SportAuto had non-standard brakes (!) which might even be in conflict with the EU regulations if the car was used on public roads...

BMW seems to have some severe credibility issues Smiley

KresoF1:

Christian,

I can only tell you that both M5 and E63 PP press examples that were tested by Sport Auto are clearly way more powerfull then what is written in specs. Sport Auto dynoed all three cars and only Panamera Turbo S achieved accepted numbers(555ps, original specs are 550ps).

M5 achived 620ps(!!!) and original specs are 560ps... So, I assume that itsme wanted to point out in that direction...?

Are all costumer M5 also 620ps? Or only special press examples?

My advice is to go to nearest newsstand and to buy latest issue of Sport Auto-you really need to read it for yourself.

My werdict is-thank God that we still have that kind of honest car press that was represented in latest Sport Auto.

Kreso, also based on my own experience in recent years BMW and BMW motor cars have a shiny facade - but if you look behind the facade there is a lot reason for complaint and frustration. I somehow lost my interest in the BMW brand - the quality (including engineering quality, quality of sales/service infrastructure etc) is just not where you would like to see it Smiley

MKSGR:

Kreso, also based on my own experience in recent years BMW and BMW motor cars have a shiny facade - but if you look behind the facade there is a lot reason for complaint and frustration. I somehow lost my interest in the BMW brand - the quality (including engineering quality, quality of sales/service infrastructure etc) is just not where you would like to see it Smiley

How do you know the M5 brakes did not correspond to the series? I just read the article in the SportAuto and could’nt find any evidence. SportAuto said, it was just POSSIBLE that other pads could have been used, but this does’nt really proven.
    Besides, I'm now going with a X5M for almost 2 1/2 years. The quality is excellent. Much better than many other cars that I owned, including Porsche. The service at my BMW dealership is distinguished, courteous and competent.
    I think everyone makes his own experiences, so one should’nt generalize.

Btw: BMW, especially the M-Dept. builds very modern car, with the right mix of gadgets, performance and comfort. The soft close door is available there for more than 10 years. Smiley
    Not that you need it, but whoever it wants, gets it at least. This isn’t a question of targeted old people but of the freedom to do what you want do to.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM