Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: C63 AMG Coupe PP, have you ever considered one ?

RC:

I actually can't believe how stupid I was when I considered the CTS-V Coupe. I wanted a somewhat small car with two doors, not too flashy and with amazing performance but for "little" money. The CTS-V Coupe seemed to be the perfect solution at that time and since we have a local dealer, I was quite close to getting one.

The C63 AMG sedan was on mind for quite a while but I already ordered the PTS, so why would I get another sedan, someone like me who doesn't even like sedans too much ? It didn't make sense. I have to thank Conny for his private insights and suggestions, we PMed a lot lately, he doesn't live too far from my place and we had some sort of spiritual car buying decision opinion exchange Smiley, it was quite helpful though. Smiley

(...)

Did you actually know that the C63 AMG Coupe has a lot of enhancements vs. the sedan and that it can't be compared to the sedan before 2011 because not only the interior is completely different but almost everything else too, especially the new MCT transmission.
    (...)

Its a pleasure for me if I could make a small contribution. Like almost all Rennteamer I’m a car nuts and like to occupy myself with the subject.Smiley

For C63 AMG:

As far as I can see the Coupe and Sedan AFTER the facelift 2011 are technically identical. Even the empty weight is with 1730 kg for both versions listed.
    Due to the latest AMS issue the new C-Class will be 2014 on the market, the new E-Class 2015. There is still no mention whether the 6.3-liter NA/S will be replaced by the 5.4 liter twin turbo engine. However I fear the 6.3 liter will disappear. That makes the current C63AMG a real rarity. Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

.....all info hints at the 6.3 disappearing except for the upcoming sls 2.

the sls is completely built by amg and therefore it will very likely be that amg will stick to the 6.3 block while mercedes will only be using the 5.4 block in various turbo configurations.

pity really because it is one of the greatest engines out there....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

.....all info hints at the 6.3 disappearing except for the upcoming sls 2.

the sls is completely built by amg and therefore it will very likely be that amg will stick to the 6.3 block while mercedes will only be using the 5.4 block in various turbo configurations.

pity really because it is one of the greatest engines out there....

The current 6.2 l AMG engine is the last N/A engine in the AMG model lineup. Even the second gen SLS could get a turbo charged version, this isn't 100% clear yet according to a source.

Here is a photo of my son I took today, do you recognize this car? Smiley

msls.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Here are more photos of my C63 AMG Coupe PP (it looks exactly the same):

1329061471476amg1.png

1329061486998amg2.png

1329061498158amg3.png

1329061509972amg4.png

This interior has carbon applications, my car has actually dark polished alloy, the only difference.

1329061522393amg5.png

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

sls convertible.....hope he too thinks the sls coupe is cooler indecision

i have read that sls successor will stick with the 6.3 (6.2 l displacement as noted by you)

pity the glass roof is not available for the sedan in 63 guise. would have loved the black roof too. do you have a clue why it is available on the normal sedan and not the c63 ? the weight argument would not make sense.

RC, i urge you to reconsider the black wheels. i personally find that 1. this fashion is already over and looks better when same body/wheel colour option than contrasting 2. the whole point of the c63 is to be a sleeper and not with flashy accents. mirrors/calipers and carbon spoiler are alrerady enough.

it was a tough choice for me as well, but am glad i went with standard rims instead of black.

1329066250764100_0966.JPG

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

1329066664606DSC00243.JPG

--

RC:

Here is a photo of my son I took today, do you recognize this car? Smiley

I hope the boy doesn't reject the C63, for the SLS now Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC, now i know what you should have actually done:

C63 sedan as a daily driver.........and sls coupe as fun car.....indecision

the problem after having had the 6.2 engines for a while now in 2 versions the idea of a new 911 leaves me pretty unexcited. surely, as overall packages there is no way of comparing the C63 in either version with a 911 but for daily driving they really are more fun.

since i got the sedan, i never looked back to my 997 turbo. i hardly even think of driving the sls (for political reasons currently as well)

ask your dealer for a sls test-drive. it is C63 feeling multiplied by 10.....

--

intouch1:

i have read that sls successor will stick with the 6.3 (6.2 l displacement as noted by you)

pity the glass roof is not available for the sedan in 63 guise. would have loved the black roof too. do you have a clue why it is available on the normal sedan and not the c63 ? the weight argument would not make sense.

RC, i urge you to reconsider the black wheels. i personally find that 1. this fashion is already over and looks better when same body/wheel colour option than contrasting 2. the whole point of the c63 is to be a sleeper and not with flashy accents. mirrors/calipers and carbon spoiler are alrerady enough.

it was a tough choice for me as well, but am glad i went with standard rims instead of black.

I understand you very well but you need to understand my craziness with black wheels. I just love them. I had them when people wouldn't even know that something like that is possible, I even got ridiculed for the black painted rims on my 996 Turbo (see photo). I love black rims and if I can get them with a new car, I always do that.

The C63 AMG Coupe I bought already had black rims, no choice possible here but I am glad they are black. I know they make the car look less stealth but I don't care, black rims are my weakness. Can't help it. Smiley Smiley

996.jpg

--

intouch1:

RC, now i know what you should have actually done:

C63 sedan as a daily driver.........and sls coupe as fun car.....indecision

the problem after having had the 6.2 engines for a while now in 2 versions the idea of a new 911 leaves me pretty unexcited. surely, as overall packages there is no way of comparing the C63 in either version with a 911 but for daily driving they really are more fun.

since i got the sedan, i never looked back to my 997 turbo. i hardly even think of driving the sls (for political reasons currently as well)

ask your dealer for a sls test-drive. it is C63 feeling multiplied by 10.....

I'm still a Porsche addict, can't help it. This is why I got the Panamera Turbo S.

The new 991 Turbo fascinates me a lot but I can't own another garage queen, like I said many many times before.

At least I can move my family in my PTS on weekends and during vacations and maybe I can even drive to work in it from time to time, as long as the car isn't all the time in front of my business. Smiley

The SLS is a very nice car but it only has two seats. This is a complete no-go for me. We are four. The SLS would be absolutely useless for me. For this kind of money, I'm also a sucker for performance. I wouldn't spend 200k for a car if I knew that I can't drive anything else on the street into the ground.

Sport Auto tested the SLS Coupe at 0-100 in 3.9 seconds and 0-200 kph in 11.7 seconds. This is practically Panamera Turbo S territory. So why should I get it, especially since I can move my whole family in the PTS ? I think yo get my point.

If I ever get a sports car again, in the event I can afford showing off because I won the lottery and don't have to care about my business or neighbors anymore Smiley, I would get the new 991 Turbo (S) or the Lamborghini Aventador. The Aventador makes my heart rate jump up, this car is just unbelievable and performance is the best you can get for "little" money...compared to the Bugatti Veyron. I also like the GT2 RS a lot but again, this would be a garage queen, only two seats, not possible.

Family comes first I'm afraid. Smiley

--

i too am at heart a porsche guy...hence i would not let go of my gt2.

the 991 turbo would surely be an option as a next porsche. pity they ruined the cayenne imo. the first one was a great über-suv.....and while not pretty surely better looking and with more identity than gen. 2 hopefully the next generation will fix that again.

i love the aventador and gallardo as well. actually i have always loved anything from lambo. however, too flashy for me.

the thing with amg is that they are great daily drivers. any porsche you have to push it to actually start to enjoy what it is capable of.

--

intouch1:

the thing with amg is that they are great daily drivers. any porsche you have to push it to actually start to enjoy what it is capable of.

Very good point. I must concede that my 977 Turbo S is kind of garage queen as well since I've a lot of business appointments where I can't go with the Porsche. And yes, the dominating point is even you drive with it you must always push to get the special acceleration feeling. I own this car since 19 months and only 12.000 km on the odoSmiley

With the C63 you can drive everyday where ever you want to driveSmiley
    As for the wheels: in the very special combo with the C63 they have to be Black. Smiley For me no doubt about. They match fine with the Black doorframes, the carbon spoiler and the optional sidemirrors. And I don't ask what the current fashion seems to be. I prefer to do what is matching with my personal taste.Smiley

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

For those who know a little bit of German, check out this C63 AMG Coupe PP review from Sport Auto.

Quite impressive, especially when they compare it to the M3 with Performance Package.

http://www.sportauto-online.de/einzeltests/mercedes-c63-amg-coupe-im-test-boller-wagen-mit-performance-package-4022566.html

--

RC:

For those who know a little bit of German, check out this C63 AMG Coupe PP review from Sport Auto.

Quite impressive, especially when they compare it to the M3 with Performance Package.

http://www.sportauto-online.de/einzeltests/mercedes-c63-amg-coupe-im-test-boller-wagen-mit-performance-package-4022566.html

Christian,

Congrat with the Mini Beast Smiley I hope you enjoy your new toy with you family as much as you can.

as for the Sport Auto article; I don't know what they meant with M3 Performance Pack -probably they were referring to Competition pack- but in all of the comparison tests I have read so far (Evo, Autocar etc), M3 comes at top as a better drivers car despite Amg's big improvement on the coupe over sedan and its big power advantage over M3, especially the huge torque difference. Nevertheless, C63 and M3 are the best cars in their segment.

You will love it for sure and that's the whole point Smiley

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Hi Christian,

Congratulations on the C63AMG. I have driven the E63AMG and it was incredible, so I can imagine with a smaller, lighter car, how much fun this will be. Enjoy it!!

Here is the English (Google) translation of the sport auto article:

The Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe with Performance Package oval twin tailpipes of the illusion are anything but: The escaping them, trampling V8 fanfare is always calculated to leave the neck hairs trellis. What breaks the 487-horsepower rear-wheel drive driving dynamics, clears the test.

While the small middle class, BMW series still waiting for their replacement, has Mercedes done his homework already. By the early summer featured Coupe C-Class family is now complete. A competitive advantage that also leaves the Sportdependancen the two premium manufacturers mark.

Where the Bavarians are selectively limited in the number of items specific models (BMW M3, and CRT) to attract customers to cover the Swabians from the entire range of needs. The latest and arguably most beautiful child in the group is the Mercedes C63 AMG coupe. Two-drawn rear doors, four exhaust tips, rear wheel drive, a voluminous V8 cups and an ultra-modern automatic transmission with wet clutch, seven speed levels and four modes - that sounds good not only on paper, but can be seen also in kind, and above all can hear.

AMG eight-cylinder causes a stir

Who will start with the Mercedes C-Class model to work, or the Sunday game of tennis can be sure that the neighborhood takes notice of them. The short, loud Aufbellen of the blessed, with 6.2-liter eight-Enders is just as difficult to preserving to hear how the vocal eight-cylinder bollern of consecutive sooner bumps are not always the quiet coupe. No wonder - are still with each turn of the key in the Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe at least 457 horses come to life, with Performance package, even their 487 on the go. For € 7,700 may charge the smallest coupe from Affalterbach (the Mercedes SLK55 AMG with a brand-new naturally aspirated V8 engine is a convertible), rely on the fact forged pistons, connecting rods and lightweight crankshaft of the Mercedes SLS AMG. This not only saves three kilos of weight, but also reduces the inertia and improves the response.

Details distinguish the C63 AMG Performance Package

Visually recognizable insignia of the additional power of the Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe with Performance Package are the titanium-gray painted intake manifold under the hood, the rear spoiler lip in carbon-look, a special steering wheel with Alcantara cover on the handle and the AMG high-performance brake system with composite front discs and red painted brake calipers all round . Ironically, however latter is the only thing the four-seat newcomer can not fully convince. 10.4 m / s ² cold and the 10.5 m / s ² are generally warm okay, not that the stopping power would be out of order. But subtle smoke signals from the front wheel arches and a slightly different pedal feel wise after the tenth emergency braking points to achieve the limit. . When Zeitenhatz on the small track-related, the noticeable shifting the powerful Mercedes C63 AMG coupe with performance package on the brakes also some reluctance at the wheel , the adaptive driver learns: The Mercedes C63 AMG coupe, he is always very fast when he As for the matter to the curve a little quieter and not trying to stop the last seam. But then the result can be seen.With 1.13,6 minutes offers the two-door from the saloon in comparison with the Mercedes 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution clearly presented lap time of 1.14,3 minutes again.Also, the current BMW M3 Coupé has the - self-upgraded with DCT and M Performance Package - nothing to oppose. The Bavarian car remained 1.14,2 minutes also in this class so far on the magical border.

The thorough work of the AMG engineers at the base - the Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe with Performance Package has its own three-link front suspension, an enhanced multi-link independent rear suspension, a wider track and more negative camber all around, a stiffer elasto-, thicker anti-roll bars as well as specifically tailored Feder-/Dämpferraten - leaves its mark on driving behavior. Sun had to move the heavy-footed as a coupe 1770 kilo athlete ever. The fact that the rear axle in terms of performance tolerance is the limit, of course at 600 Newton meters of torque by itself anyway - it depends on literally right on the gas pedal.

pride355:
    RC:

Christian,

Congrat with the Mini Beast Smiley I hope you enjoy your new toy with you family as much as you can.

as for the Sport Auto article; I don't know what they meant with M3 Performance Pack -probably they were referring to Competition pack- but in all of the comparison tests I have read so far (Evo, Autocar etc), M3 comes at top as a better drivers car despite Amg's big improvement on the coupe over sedan and its big power advantage over M3, especially the huge torque difference. Nevertheless, C63 and M3 are the best cars in their segment.

You will love it for sure and that's the whole point Smiley

The M3 is surely easier to drive on the track, it provides more traction and the better chassis setup for track driving but in the hands of a pro driver, it is faster. Hockenheim Kleiner Ring: 1.13.6 Min., this is almost a second better than the M3 with the Competition Package (sorry for the confusion, I was too much used to the PP name designation from Mercedes). There is also a huge difference in the 0-200 kph performance, 2 seconds. For the Autobahn, very important. 0-250 kph difference is already almost 7 seconds, so you get my point.

The new C63 AMG Coupe does not have the same chassis like the C63 sedan, you shouldn't confuse it. The new MCT transmission, which is basically still an automatic transmission, has a (M setting) shifting time of only 100ms and the fastest automatic mode (S+) shifting time is 110 ms or so. Pretty impressive for an auto tranny.

Btw: The new C63 AMG Coupe Black Series is one second faster on the Nordschleife than the M3 GTS. Smiley

Even if these numbers wouldn't be spectacular for a Mercedes, I would still have chosen the car for the engine. A N/A 6.2 l engine with over 600 Nm of torque and a sound which seems to be out of this world (keep in mind that I know the original M3 sound very well, which is also pretty good), I just couldn't pass on it.

The C63 AMG Coupe PP represents a german muscle car for me and since I'm a huge fan of muscle cars, this was the perfect choice. BMW builds great cars but the major reason I don't like my X5M too much anymore is the...sound of the engine and exhaust system. Absolutely horrible, a V8 sounding like a supped up 4-cylinder. The new M5 isn't much different, just inside the car the sound is better due to the sound engineering through the loudspeakers (which is kind of the lamest thing I ever heard). The current M3 sounds great but the next generation is very likely to be based on a bi-turbo charged 6-cyl. engine and I'm also pretty sure that BMW will use the sound engineering again, to improve the sound. A sports car needs to have a bad ass sound too, otherwise I can't really enjoy it.

My comments about the M3 weren't intended to devalue the M3, they were just a mere observation of some facts.

--

Many congrats on your recent acquisition SmileySmileySmiley

P.S.: Great to see another picture of your late 996 turbo - a great looking and very powerful car Smiley

MKSGR:

P.S.: Great to see another picture of your late 996 turbo - a great looking and very powerful car Smiley

Thanks. Smiley

Regarding my 996 Turbo...memories... SmileySmileySmiley

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

Thanks. Smiley

Regarding my 996 Turbo...memories... SmileySmileySmiley

You have owned a red car? How come?

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    intouch1:

I understand you very well but you need to understand my craziness with black wheels. I just love them. I had them when people wouldn't even know that something like that is possible, I even got ridiculed for the black painted rims on my 996 Turbo (see photo). I love black rims and if I can get them with a new car, I always do that.

The C63 AMG Coupe I bought already had black rims, no choice possible here but I am glad they are black. I know they make the car look less stealth but I don't care, black rims are my weakness. Can't help it. Smiley Smiley

996.jpg

Is that your ex-996? That thing looks amazing! You have some more pictures?

RC:
    JimFlat6:

I will warn youindecision Driving that C63 might become addictive and might make driving the PTS seem towing a a boatsmiley

I think Mercedes AMG has built the better Shelby Mustang!

Yes, AMG built the better Shelby Mustang, no doubt about it. Smiley

However, I think I'm still going to need the PTS during winter... Smiley

I can't believe that the C63 in this video is stuck in ~ 2cm of  snow!  Only way is if he is on summer tires, and has no limited slip diff.  Speaking of which, maybe I missed it in the tech discussions above, but does this C63 coupe have a limited slip differential?  Assuming yes, and with proper winter tires, you should be quite OK in most winter conditions short of new deep snow (just watch the effects of big torque on traction....)   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

RC - Congrats!! Sick choice!!!

If you like black wheels, Go for this. This the first upgrade I would recommend. SmileySmiley

Avoe:

If you like black wheels, Go for this. This the first upgrade I would recommend. SmileySmiley

Drifting makes me slower. No way... Smiley

--

Funny test.... wondering that he still can drive that car at all!

I actually like this video more (same driver, Chris Harris):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mvU2Ot_Wg

--

Nice ride RC! N/A engine, way to go!Smiley

cool video - but didn't clarkson managed to get the tires ruined in a couple of laps/minutes ?.....so maybe some spare rear tires in the boot would't be a bad thing.blush

The C63 Coupe has a different chassis than the sedan, this is also the reason why it achieves better track times. Due to the improved rear axle and setup kinematics and a slightly different LSD setup, the traction seems to be better.

I don't plan to drift with the car on public roads and the next track is almost 200 km away from my place.

I may however have some drift fun on deserted parking lots and/or air strips with my son from time to time but I really don't plan to buy new rear tires every couple of weeks, so I'm going to keep these fun episodes very limited. 

The C63 AMG Coupe is supposed to be a nice sounding, comfortable but yet sporty, daily driver. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm still not sure if I am going to get used to the color though (Diamond White Met.), so I may give the car to a professional foil company which is specialized in applying matte grey/black foil on cars. I always wanted to do that but at first, I will see how I like the color. I wanted arctic white but the car my dealer found me, like I previously said an amazing deal, was only available in diamond white met.. I also like magnetite black (I'm not sure if this is the right name in English), a slightly blueish but matte black looking type of color. I've seen it on videos only, so I wasn't too sure about it.

On Monday 27th, I'm going to pick up the car at my dealer, just can't wait. devil

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

i have now done 2000 kms on my c63 of normal driving. no burnouts, drifts or anything wild. however, my rear tires already develop far less grip. when accelerating, the traction light comes up all the way up to about 80 km/h. and that is without flooring it.

i will certainly look into getting wider tires with more grip.

standard rear tires are 255 iirc...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803311 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448600 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266159 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6639 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885775 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833387 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM