Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991... (LAUNCH thread)

Here is a nice black specimen that is sitting on my dealer's floor.

-20 mm, basalt black + black wheel.

The best combo I have seen  so far .

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

997.2 C2S, P

First impression of that second picture is strange (until you notice the door is open)...

Same thing happened to me

lol. same here!!!

Thanks a lot for the images Gnil! Actually exactly specced like my car that will arrive end of March Smiley.

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Very nice combo Gnil!

--

The door fooled me too.  Great shot of your finger in the first photo!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Patrick Long on the New 911 - Special Report...

(2 February 2012)

Patrick Long is just 30 years old, but the Californian already has seven years as a Porsche factory driver. His accomplishments come at race tracks around the world and include the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Long has been instrumental in putting Porsche’s GT3 Hybrid race car in the winner’s circle.

Patrick Long and the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S at Daytona Beach

Considering these high-speed accomplishments, we asked Long to drive 10 mph. (That’s the speed limit on the sands of Daytona’s beach.) From 1903 until the Daytona International Speedway was built in 1958, those sands were also an important part of American racing.

You could see the look of temptation on Long’s face, considering that under his right foot was 400 bhp from the 3.8-liter direct-injection flat-6 of our 911 Carrera S test car. It also makes 325 lb.-ft. of torque, so he could have sprayed sand the length of the beach. Matched to the PDK “automatic,” we’ve gotten to 60 in 3.5 seconds, likely a few ticks quicker that if we’d had the 7-speed manual.

Patrick Long and the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S at Daytona Beach

Regardless of gearbox, the top speed is 188 mph, which would clearly tempt a driver like Long.

That speed on the sand? Sound nuts? They were topping 200 mph on this very beach by 1927. And in 1935 Malcolm Campbell drove his Bluebird V to 276.8 mph on Daytona Beach. That machine weighed some 12,000 lb. while the new 911 scales at just over 3000.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Being a skosh longer and lower than its predecessors, the new 911 takes on a more balanced, less tail-heavy look. And that’s even with those powerful-looking haunches.

Despite the 400 bhp and potent styling (and with a policeman seemingly taking an interest in what we were doing), Long managed to trundle slowly down the beach in the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S and told us about the latest sports car from Zuffenhausen.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Smiley SmileySmiley

Our weight measurements have gotten some attention around Stuttgart, so I received this breakdown of options weight that goes some way (but not all the way) in explaining the difference between the claimed 1415kg DIN and the 1530kg we measured with the first car we tested. These are figures communicated through the PR department:

PASM & PDCC: approx 24 kg 
    Sunroof: approx 15 kg 
    18-way sport seats: approx 10 kg (for the pair, delta vs the standard 4-way seats, does not sound like much)
    Soundpaket BOSE: approx 4 kg 
    Sport-Design wheels: approx 4 kg
    Seat ventilation: approx 3 kg 
    Extinguisher: approx 3 kg (which our car(s) were not equipped with)

Another 4.5kg go in the fact that the DIN norm specifies a 90% tank while we measure with a full tank, so that's 6.4L of excess (unleaded) liquid at 0.7 density. They did not mention PSE so I am not sure whether any weight addition results from it, neither PCM. 

--

997 GT3 - 550M - 355 GTS F1 - Prius - Audi S5 Sportback

Great pics guys !!!!! I cant wait !!!!

Will the front lip extension for -20mm suspension option, could be available as retrofit ??? (just the black plastic front lip extension)...it looks GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

zeshark:

Our weight measurements have gotten some attention around Stuttgart, so I received this breakdown of options weight that goes some way (but not all the way) in explaining the difference between the claimed 1415kg DIN and the 1530kg we measured with the first car we tested. These are figures communicated through the PR department:

18-way sport seats: approx 10 kg (for the pair, delta vs the standard 4-way seats, does not sound like much)

Another 4.5kg go in the fact that the DIN norm specifies a 90% tank while we measure with a full tank, so that's 6.4L of excess (unleaded) liquid at 0.7 density. They did not mention PSE so I am not sure whether any weight addition results from it, neither PCM. 

excess body weight of all too many North Americans - 20kg plus

--

2010 997.2 turbo cab 6 speed / 08 Cayenne GTS Manual - 08 RS 60 sold -04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

zeshark:

Very interesting as it is rare to have these exact weights. But it still does not cover all the extra weight you have measured .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Alex18_996CC:

Great pics guys !!!!! I cant wait !!!!

Will the front lip extension for -20mm suspension option, could be available as retrofit ??? (just the black plastic front lip extension)...it looks GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure you can buy it separately, but ... this front lip is linked with the back spoiler , meaning the back wing raises more when you have this setting .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

997.2 C2S, P

That configuration does wonders for the car! Smiley

zeshark:

As PASM is standard on the S, does it mean that PDCC adds 24kgs. Am interested in the actual additional weight of PDCC.

Surprised the sunroof weighs so much .. wonder what the weight is for the 997 sunroof. Also surprised BOSE only adds 4kgs of weight.

As Carerra S wheels are standard, does it mean that the Sport Design wheels are 1kg heavier each?

sfo:
    Surprised the sunroof weighs so much .. wonder what the weight is for the 997 sunroof. Also surprised BOSE only adds 4kgs of weight.

Should be a bit less, since 997 sunroof is considerably smaller, no? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

991 Sunroof weighs too much for something unnecessary and inelegant.

--

"Form follows function"

Rossi:
    sfo:

Should be a bit less, since 997 sunroof is considerably smaller, no? Smiley

And 997 sunroof is not a big chunk of glass, which is heavy.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Gnil:

Beautiful!  It looks like solid black from this photos - I wish basalt always looked that 'jet black'. 

Funny you should mention it - I thought this specimen looked more pure black rather than Basalt..?

My previous car was Basalt and it never looked like this...yes  May be something to do with the dealer's showroom lighting.?  

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I also thought it was pure black when I got into the show room, but I checked , it is Basalt. 

So either it is the lights of the show room, or basalt is now blacker then before  ?  If I get the chance I'll go to compare it to another basalt

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

sfo:
    zeshark:

As PASM is standard on the S, does it mean that PDCC adds 24kgs. Am interested in the actual additional weight of PDCC.

As Carerra S wheels are standard, does it mean that the Sport Design wheels are 1kg heavier each?

Yes, according to Porsche, Sport Design 1kg heavier. Which does not help solve our weight equation because the car we measured had the standard Carrera S wheels.

24kg sounds like a lot to me for PDCC, so the info could be misleading. If you look under the skirts, there are pretty sizable actuators plus hydraulic lines that run all the length of the car. But hard to imagine that these would weigh 12kg a piece, including the lines, unless PDCC also adds an additional hydraulic pump. Slightly unrelated, but Porsche also told me that PDCC could not have shared its hydraulic circuit with a steering pump - had it been hydraulic - because of different pressure and volumes required.

About the sunroof, bear in mind that there could be reinforcement to ensure that the config passes NHTSA crash/roll tests in the US, Schaetzle mentionned to me that they had had to make some smart design choices to ensure that cars with or without sunroof pass safety regulations.

--

zeshark:

24kg sounds like a lot to me for PDCC, so the info could be misleading. If you look under the skirts, there are pretty sizable actuators plus hydraulic lines that run all the length of the car. But hard to imagine that these would weigh 12kg a piece, including the lines, unless PDCC also adds an additional hydraulic pump. Slightly unrelated, but Porsche also told me that PDCC could not have shared its hydraulic circuit with a steering pump - had it been hydraulic - because of different pressure and volumes required.

About the sunroof, bear in mind that there could be reinforcement to ensure that the config passes NHTSA crash/roll tests in the US, Schaetzle mentionned to me that they had had to make some smart design choices to ensure that cars with or without sunroof pass safety regulations.

Are there no PDCC actuators on the rear axle? If so, it would be much less than 12kgs each. PDCC does need a pump to operate, doesn't it?

reginos:

991 Sunroof weighs too much for something unnecessary and inelegant.

I agree. It is downright ugly and stupid looking when open. I was flabbergasted when I saw it open. My reaction was WHY, WHY, WHY? 

--

zeshark:

Interesting info... Quite weird though if the PDCC adds up a lot of extra weight. This would add to the unsprung weight as the opposite to PCCB which is lighter... You for sure don't want to add extra unsprung weight if not necessary Smiley

--

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

sfo:
    zeshark:

Are there no PDCC actuators on the rear axle? If so, it would be much less than 12kgs each. PDCC does need a pump to operate, doesn't it?

No, you are correct, this video shows actuators at the back too. Regarding hydraulics, I am not sure where the pressure would come from if there was no pump.

--

Lukas:
    zeshark:

Interesting info... Quite weird though if the PDCC adds up a lot of extra weight. This would add to the unsprung weight as the opposite to PCCB which is lighter... You for sure don't want to add extra unsprung weight if not necessary Smiley

I agree, I guess the only explanation is that the benefits outstrip the drawbacks. Unsprung weight maybe also "over-rated" in terms of the real impact it has on performance within the context of such cars. For instance, I asked Schaetzle specifically about Ring times and PCCB, and he told me that PCCB vs steel brakes does not make any measurable difference (see Q&A).

--

Enjoy!

Nice in white with black wheels kiss

1329514503000991_white1.jpg

991_white2.jpg

--

wow....

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409636 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255918 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235163 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774569 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM