Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

Thanks for clarifying reginos :)

So it's 'Ma-chan' (not 'Ma-shan').

Rhymes with Meganne!

I hope people don't start making Meccano jokes ... I actually liked Meccano when I was a boy ... it was educational ... I built all sorts of things with my Meccano set as a 9 year old ... better than the video games that today's kids play!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

Thanks for clarifying reginos :)

So it's 'Ma-chan' (not 'Ma-shan').

Rhymes with Meganne!

Accent on first syllable, like in macho. Another cause for misuse!

--

"Form follows function"

Ah, so it's 'Mach-an' rather than 'Ma-chan' :)

You're right ... the potential for confusion is definitely high ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

reginos:

MACAN   How is it pronounced?   Mácan, Macán, or perhaps Máchan.

Anyone familiar with Indonesian blush

--

fritz

easy_rider911:

The design study looks nice ... a lower, sleeker, sportier looking Cayenne IMO ....

You mean lower,sleeker,sportier ....... VW Tiguan. /. Audi Q5

Any chance they offer 3.6 V6 from Panamera,with 2 turbos?

lor:

Any chance they offer 3.6 V6 from Panamera,with 2 turbos?

There will be a Macan Turbo and it will have a V6 but I don't know if mono or twin turbo. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

But will it be Audi V6 or Porsche engine?Panamera has Porsche engine Cayenne use Audi AFAIK

reginos put it right - macan is pronounced like in macho, hence "machan"...though, it will really be interesting to see what the public will do with the name. If one pronounces it like, "makan", then it's also indonesian for "eating", which may be interesting for "easy-rider911" Smiley ...uuuups, sorry...SmileySmiley

Rennteam is certainly busy with people coming here trying to find out more about the Macan ;)

--

997.1 C2S

lor:

But will it be Audi V6 or Porsche engine?Panamera has Porsche engine Cayenne use Audi AFAIK

I don't have a clue. Does it make a difference ? Porsche will be part of the VW family anyway.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

It does to me at least psichologically,i'd like a proper Porsche rather than some tartrd up Audi-not thats anything wrong with Audi

o if the structure is Audi developed would be nice if it had Porsche mechanics

lor:

It does to me at least psichologically,i'd like a proper Porsche rather than some tartrd up Audi-not thats anything wrong with Audi

o if the structure is Audi developed would be nice if it had Porsche mechanics

Why ? Is Audi that bad ? Smiley I understand what you mean but since Porsche is going to be an integral part of the Volkswagen AG, many parts will be used in the same cars with different brands. It will be almost impossible to tell which parts are used in which cars and which brand. I still think however that Porsche is going to develop their own engines most of the time but I wouldn't bet on it, especially not in the Diesel sector. 

--

It's pronounced mAcAn with a like Alpha and accent on the CAn.

Porsche says it means tiger, but I go to Indonesia every year and it actually means to eat.

Salamat Makan means bon appetit.

So there you go, the Porsche meal.

I think the word itself is cool, its meaning is just a bit ridiculous. It will certainly make the Indonesians laugh.

Audi is not bad but is isnt Porsche either

If  was interested in a Q5 i know where Audi dealership is

It just got me thinking-since Porsche alreadi uses 2 3.6 V6 engines one of them could be found in Turbo Macan

It just slipped my mind that there also Audi 3.0T as a possible candidate

Also i read in Autocar article interior could share parts with Boxster which is great idea IMO unles its just journalists fantasy

Also i've allways been fond of Touareg since it was Porsche developed-marketing surely is a powerfull weapon

Futch:

It's pronounced mAcAn with a like Alpha and accent on the CAn.

Porsche says it means tiger, but I go to Indonesia every year and it actually means to eat.

Salamat Makan means bon appetit.

So there you go, the Porsche meal.

I think the word itself is cool, its meaning is just a bit ridiculous. It will certainly make the Indonesians laugh.

Interesting. Maybe this Porsche's way to tell people eat itSmiley

--

...not quite...anyway, it will be interesting to hear, what the english speaking world will do with this name...

The video is nice. I guess it is an indication the Macan marketing program has started. We should start getting more details on a regular basis.

lor:

Audi is not bad but is isnt Porsche either

If  was interested in a Q5 i know where Audi dealership is

It just got me thinking-since Porsche alreadi uses 2 3.6 V6 engines one of them could be found in Turbo Macan

It just slipped my mind that there also Audi 3.0T as a possible candidate

Also i read in Autocar article interior could share parts with Boxster which is great idea IMO unles its just journalists fantasy

Also i've allways been fond of Touareg since it was Porsche developed-marketing surely is a powerfull weapon

I think the V6 will more likely be the VW sourced one.  I think the main reason Porsche developed a new V6 for the Panamera was the height of VW's narrow angle 6; it was too tall to fit under the Panamera hood. I don't think there will be a similar problem with the Macan and the VW 6 would almost certainly be cheaper to produce. 

See that's what we get.  We made fun of Cajun and now we ended up with Macan which sounds worse than Cajun Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

RC:
    lor:

I don't have a clue. Does it make a difference ? Porsche will be part of the VW family anyway.

It will depend on the height of the engine bay. Porsche had to make a V6 (Porsche V8 minus 2 cylinders) because the VW V6 like in Cayenne is too tall for the Panamera engine compartment. If both engines can fit, it will be a matter for the accountants I think.

--

"Form follows function"

Unfortunate choice for the UK as that name will long be associated with the family name of the little girl who went missing on holiday in Portugal.

easy_rider911:

Actually, we're both correct. 'Makaan' means 'house' in Arabic as well :)

And it means 'house' in Urdu BTW :)

"Makaan" means location or place. Never heard it used to mean home in Arabic...

If it looks anything like the sketch, count me in!

ISUK:

Unfortunate choice for the UK as that name will long be associated with the family name of the little girl who went missing on holiday in Portugal.

Let's be positive and think of Paul McCartney.

--

"Form follows function"

If you guys are Arabic speakers than I'm more than happy to stand corrected :)

--

997.1 C2S

easy_rider911:

If you guys are Arabic speakers than I'm more than happy to stand corrected :)

Smiley

--

makan...means house...in hindi

could be a big seller here in india, though

personally, names apart, this looks a helluva lot more chic than a cayenne, cleaner lines ....

I'm gonna stick w a classic 911 than these crossovers....

Yup, like I said, it means house in Urdu as well :)

--

997.1 C2S

Regardless of the pronunciation or meaning this car will be a winner especially if the sketches are close to the final style. Does it matter to the buying public what the model is named? Hell, many cars are only identified by numbers. Much to do about nothing.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688251 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408588 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255488 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234709 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65341 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM