Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Why the Cajun will be Porsche's most...

rulesdontapply:

Here's another question related to the Cajun, this time about its looks:

What will the Cajun look like?
    a. A downsized Cayenne?
    b. A car bearing a resemblance to the Audi Q5?
    c. A blown-up 911 with an unusual design for an SUV?
    d. Something completely different/unexpected altogether?

I kept hearing bits about it resembling the Cayenne and less about the Cajun resembling the Q5 [the Cayenne and Touareg bear noticeable resemblances to one another to the discerning eye], but I remember a member on here saying that he was quickly shown the Cajun's design during an exclusive preview event and it looks like a large 911.

Any input?

rulesdontapply

a. Very likely

b. Not likely at all

c. Not likely at all but like any other Porsche, there will be some design elements from the 911

d. Unexpected not likely, since Porsche needs to have a broader customer base in mind (the Cajun is supposed to become the best selling Porsche in the model line)

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

So, the 'Macan' is the final name! Interesting...

http://ferdinandmagazine.com/porsche-announces-its-new-model-the-macan/

I think I like it, but is it Maycan or Mahcan?

Wonderbar:
    I think I like it, but is it Maycan or Mahcan?

I'd say Mahcan. Smiley

Personally, I don't like this name. Even Cayenne didn't make much sense but I got used to it.

Macan sounds very hard, more like a tractor than a nice car. Oh...didn't build Porsche tractors too?! Smiley

Seriously, Cayenne Coupe or Cayenne X would have made more sense in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Seriously, Cayenne Coupe or Cayenne X would have made more sense in my opinion.

Sorry,

not really a fan of those names. I find the name to be quite suitable, especially since it has to differentiate itself from its technical sibling, the Q5. Guess Porsche will position their version as the technically superior counterpart.

The sketch of the Macan looks like a rendering of current generation Cayenne. I was looking for a more distinct design to differentiate it from the Cayenne.  Hopefully, we'll see that over the coming months. Porsche must be getting ready to start testing on the Macan,  hence the teaser video. Any guess on when they will introduce the Macan? September at Frankfurt Auto Show?

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

I actually think that the Macan will be presented 2012 to the public, with an official sales start in 2013.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

...so, the Boxster for Geneva, the Cayman for L.A., this means Paris or Frankfurt for the Macan ?

d997h:

...so, the Boxster for Geneva, the Cayman for L.A., this means Paris or Frankfurt for the Macan ?

Frankfurt Autoshow in 2012 ? Smiley Isn't the IAA in Frankfurt in 2013 ?

--

shit...you are right, of course !!! - I guess I need a coffee 

Me think Macan Stands for MACAdamia Nuts

lol

Whoopsy:

Honey roasted?

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

bobr:
    Whoopsy:

Honey roasted?

Chocolate covered.

yum broken heart

I like the name quite a lot, something different and new.. which is what Porsche wants to achieve with this car. I really hope they will take it places such as the Dakar or other off-roader events where they can build its name and show how it is a valuable member of the Porsche family.. ie. it needs to be fast.

Are you joking ? A crossover in Dakar ? Porsche didn't even use the Cayenne for this stuff.

The Macan is an entry level Cayenne of some sort, don't forget it. If Porsche makes the Macan fast and luxurious, it needs to make the Cayenne even more fast and luxurious.

Remember the Cayman vs. 911 game ?  Maybe not a good comparison but you get my point.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

Are you joking ? A crossover in Dakar ? Porsche didn't even use the Cayenne for this stuff.

Why not? BMW used a MINI Countryman based car to win Dakar last month, instead of the X3 or X5.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    RC:

Why not? BMW used a MINI Countryman based car to win Dakar last month, instead of the X3 or X5.

The fact that the vast majority of customers in the market for a Mini Countryman will not be aware of the Dakar win should tell us that the investment in the event was not necessarily an economically sensible one for BMW. 
    And the few people who are aware of the win will know how little similarity there was between the Dakar car and one that they could buy at the the Mini dealer. 

--

fritz

RC and Fritz make so much sense.  Very wise indeed.

But I'm with Atz and Reg on this one - anything to bring about a win at a famous race would make me smile.  Better than another win in a single manufacturer series...

And I'm not knocking the (highly confusing array of) GT race series, but who apart from a handful of us have heard of The Flying Lizards..?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I'm Not with you on this one Budster.

Sportscar racing is certainly not a  "single manufacturer  series...". In fact , the 2012 WEC will see 4 Ferrari's against 1 Porsche and 1 Corvette. (really small GT field). In the ALMS we will see BMW'Corvette, Ferrari and Porsche.

Of special interest to sportscar racing fans this year, will be the Blancpain Enduarnce Series (with plenty of new McClaren's) and the GT open  (Manthey)

The Dakar is not what it used to be (not even the same continent) and anyway it is much more  "appropriate" for VW (or Audi) than for Porsche . What are the Porsche competitors competing in the DAKAR? BMW? They also compete in the ALMS.

RC:

The Macan is an entry level Cayenne of some sort, don't forget it. If Porsche makes the Macan fast and luxurious, it needs to make the Cayenne even more fast and luxurious.

Remember the Cayman vs. 911 game ?  Maybe not a good comparison but you get my point.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Haha RC, you must have forgotten Porsche used a SPORTSCAR to win the Dakar before.

Whoopsy:
    RC:

--

Haha RC, you must have forgotten Porsche used a SPORTSCAR to win the Dakar before.

Porsche only went to the Rallye Paris-Dakar with the 959 because the Group C racing category which the 959 was intended for was dumped at short notice by FIA (?) after a lot of money had been spent developing the car.

Today's Dakar Rally is such a lottery (quite apart from the organiser's politics) that entering the best car in no way guarantees a good result, so why waste the money in the first place. 

--

fritz

Spyderidol:

Sportscar racing is certainly not a  "single manufacturer  series...". In fact , the 2012 WEC will see 4 Ferrari's against 1 Porsche and 1 Corvette. (really small GT field). In the ALMS we will see BMW'Corvette, Ferrari and Porsche.

I don´t think there is a closer relation between actual production cars and race cars as in sportscar racing. 

fritz:

The fact that the vast majority of customers in the market for a Mini Countryman will not be aware of the Dakar win should tell us that the investment in the event was not necessarily an economically sensible one for BMW. 
    And the few people who are aware of the win will know how little similarity there was between the Dakar car and one that they could buy at the the Mini dealer. 

You are certainly right with that one. Especially considering the fact that the Mini was Sven Quandt´s entry and is certainly based on the previous model, the X3, even if the team does not want to communicate this.

fritz:

Today's Dakar Rally is such a lottery (quite apart from the organiser's politics) that entering the best car in no way guarantees a good result, so why waste the money in the first place.

Volkswagen and Mitsubishi put quite some effort in it and succeeded. Didn´t they? Guess Porsche should inherit VW´s experienced staff. I quite like the thought of a Porsche Macan conquering the Dakar.

fritz:

Porsche only went to the Rallye Paris-Dakar with the 959 because the Group C racing category which the 959 was intended for was dumped at short notice by FIA (?) after a lot of money had been spent developing the car.

I know the story very well. But still there is no dispute the fact that 959 is a sportscar AND a Dakar Rally Champ.

959 is my favorite Porsche ever for a reason.

Even when my own 997 Turbo is really a modern day performance equivalent of the 959, I still wish Porsche would make a true spiritual successor to the 959 supercar. Even the CGT is still not even close to the same class.

Ferdie:
    Spyderidol:

I don´t think there is a closer relation between actual production cars and race cars as in sportscar racing. 

Agreed.! I would just change your sentence slightly:

I don´t think there is a closer relation between actual production Sports cars and race cars as in sportscar racing. 

Ferdie:
    Spyderidol:

Unless the car is BMW M3. Big difference between the race car and the production model. Even the engine is in a different place.

--

"Form follows function"

Absolutely, but that is (was) more due to the ACO desiring another well known manufacturer competing, and thus provided /BMW with all those waivers.

fritz:
    reginos:
    RC:

g fact that the vast majority of customers in the market for a Mini Countryman will not be aware of the Dakar win should tell us that the investment in the event was not necessarily an economically sensible one for BMW. 

Very well said. It just wouldn't be necessary for Porsche. Why didn't Porsche enter the F1 game some while ago ? It would cost them a fortune and their cars would sell anyway. Smiley I actually always wondered why BMW did that stupidity but I get why Mercedes did it.

--

Whoopsy:
    959 is my favorite Porsche ever for a reason.

Even when my own 997 Turbo is really a modern day performance equivalent of the 959, I still wish Porsche would make a true spiritual successor to the 959 supercar. Even the CGT is still not even close to the same class.

Same here: I was always waiting for the "Über"-Porsche a la 959 but it never happened. Yes, the Carrera GT was (and still is) an interesting product but I wanted a technical masterpiece, something which would drive the competition into the ground. Just imagine a Porsche 959-2 with a super sophisticated AWD system, 800 hp, 1600 kg weight, a Vmax of 360 kph and an acceleration time of 0-100 kph in 2.5 second, 0-200 kph in 8 seconds and 0-300 kph in 20 seconds, for the price of 350k EUR. I bet this car would sell like hell. The technology is already available, all Porsche would have needed is a weight reduction by using more expensive materials. 

I'm not sure if this car would have brought any direct profit to Porsche but it would have been the monster Porsche I always have hoped for. I'm actually less fascinated with cars like the CGT or even more, the 918. I couldn't care less about hybrid technology, sorry to say that. It may be the future but I doubt it. In my opinion, all this hybrid crap is more of something to help manufacturers show their green face rather than anything for the future.

I guess I am one of the not so many customers who put technology and performance first but most customers who are willing to spend so much money on a car are more likely to like something more involving, this is just a guess though.

If I would spend over 300k on a car, it would need to be almost perfect. The Aventador comes pretty close to my ideal car but it still lacks a couple of things, like a more stealth look or a better visibility. I also wish that the AWD system would be more adaptable and the ride height (!) too.

21st century 959...where are you ? Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    812354 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452766 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8590 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891018 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    849231 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM