Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

turbolite:

Thanks pxaxh, that is the publicity I was referring to. Pretty bold statement......yes

I am a diehard Porsche fan but to be honest, I don't get that advertisement. At all. Seriously, even my Cayenne GTS is no sports car (and it comes pretty close to one...as a SUV) and even a Cayenne Turbo S is no sports car.

While I understand Porsche's reasons for marketing the new Macan as something special, the word "sportscar" should not be used in that advertisement. It is foolish because it could create expectations the Macan cannot fulfill. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Wow! This leak comes from Taiwan...  The cost of diesel S is the same as cayenne diesel here....  I wonder how they r going to sell this car here since both cars has the same engine and cost the same here....  Might be the same thing everywhere I suppose how they market this Macan....

huangester:

Wow! This leak comes from Taiwan...  The cost of diesel S is the same as cayenne diesel here....  I wonder how they r going to sell this car here since both cars has the same engine and cost the same here....  Might be the same thing everywhere I suppose how they market this Macan....

This would be really dumb in my opinion. If the Macan Turbo costs the same money as the Cayenne Turbo, I would prefer the Cayenne Turbo (V8, more room, incl. luggage). I kind of doubt it.

Let's just wait for the press release, should come soon.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    huangester:

This would be really dumb in my opinion. If the Macan Turbo costs the same money as the Cayenne Turbo, I would prefer the Cayenne Turbo (V8, more room, incl. luggage). I kind of doubt it.

Read what Huangester wrote again. He's saying that the Macan Diesel S cost the same as Cayenne Diesel. Therefore it's more likely that the Macan Turbo would cost similar to Cayenne GTS if anything. 

The base Cayenne weighs (DIN) 1995 kg, just 50 kg more! Cayenne S is at 2065 kg with the V8 (GTS at 2085kg  i believe).  Same width basically and just 20 cm shorter, how could it be any different?? Cayenne FL might even shed some Kgs when it also gets the V6 turbo engines..

Makes the Cayenne look like a masterpiece of lightweight technology....

turbolite -  maybe you missed my sig - i have an 08 GTS and that was the benchmark for my comps not a newer model.

thing is marginally smaller than mine

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

i think they might have better deployed capital to build a smaller coupe or 4 door sedan.

go after the small car BMW and Mercedes markets with something more interesting than an Audi - it is a much bigger market, though i would really want to see Chinese mrkt preferences before i got married to this idea.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

KresoF1:

IMHO Macan has identity problem. Porsche aims at buyers of Audi SQ5 and BMW M4 Coupe. They think that potential buyers of those cars can get something unique and combined into single entity-a mid size sport SUV.

Macan should be as fast on the autobahn as new M4(and it wont be, sorry Porsche) and as practicle as SQ5 for daily/all weather usage.

Macan will probably have a good sale.But, IMHO it is almost a most pointless car in current Porsche range. 

its not really pointless, we have had the 2011 cayenne TT for 3 years and put on it 50k miles and its a great car but the warranty just expired and i wasnt going to spend 5-6k$ for an extended warranty and driving a cayenne turbo out of warranty is kind of hazardous, so we decided to trade it in for a 991S for the wife. My wife loved the 991 but as soon she heard that porsche is making another 4 door turbo SUV where the kids would be confortable, she forgot about the 991 immediately and decided to wait for the Macan turbo instead. i have another non porsche SUV for offroading and ski trips, so the Macan came at the right time as long as its a bit cheaper than a cayenne S with similar options. dealer said, i can order one very soon.

--

2011 CTT

2013 12C spider

2013 Audi A5 Cab

Since when do intelligent people pay attention to marketese?

KresoF1:

Macan will probably have a good sale.But, IMHO it is almost a most pointless car in current Porsche range. 

Agreed!

AAHTT:
    KresoF1:

IMHO Macan has identity problem. Porsche aims at buyers of Audi SQ5 and BMW M4 Coupe. They think that potential buyers of those cars can get something unique and combined into single entity-a mid size sport SUV.

Macan should be as fast on the autobahn as new M4(and it wont be, sorry Porsche) and as practicle as SQ5 for daily/all weather usage.

its not really pointless, we have had the 2011 cayenne TT for 3 years and put on it 50k miles and its a great car but the warranty just expired and i wasnt going to spend 5-6k$ for an extended warranty and driving a cayenne turbo out of warranty is kind of hazardous, so we decided to trade it in for a 991S for the wife. My wife loved the 991 but as soon she heard that porsche is making another 4 door turbo SUV where the kids would be confortable, she forgot about the 991 immediately and decided to wait for the Macan turbo instead. i have another non porsche SUV for offroading and ski trips, so the Macan came at the right time as long as its a bit cheaper than a cayenne S with similar options. dealer said, i can order one very soon.

I understand how the Macan would be perfect for your situation, like it will be for many others.

Personally i hoped for (also thanks toPorsche media hype - dumb me!) for a slightly more sporty positioning of the car, that's all. For me sportiness also means relatively low weight, compact/nimble size and powerful engines. The Macan only fulfills one of these three criteria, i.e. it has a (relatively) strong engine.

It will still be a huge success.....

--

turbolite

WAY:
    RC:
    huangester:

Read what Huangester wrote again. He's saying that the Macan Diesel S cost the same as Cayenne Diesel. Therefore it's more likely that the Macan Turbo would cost similar to Cayenne GTS if anything. 

I read what he wrote but both, the Cayenne Diesel and the Macan Diesel S have similar power. Yes, the Macan S Diesel has better performance figures but I actually think that with the facelift, Porsche will raise the power of the base Diesel to close to 300 hp.

The Cayenne GTS has a base price of 92k EUR in Germany. Too much for a Macan Turbo in my opinion. Base price of  aprox. 80k EUR, with options close to 100k EUR, this would be acceptable. If the Macan Turbo costs 125k EUR (my Cayenne GTS with options), this is a no go for me. For this price tag, I can get the next gen X5M or a ML63 AMG (after rebate). Porsche really needs to be careful with pricing here, the Macan is not the Cayenne.

--

The Macan turbo needs to be at least $20k less than the Cayenne turbo. Else why bother (in the US). The Macan turbo will have a 100hp deficit on the Cayenne and is not that much lighter or smaller... The main attraction for the US will be the lower pricing.

SciFrog:

The Macan turbo needs to be at least $20k less than the Cayenne turbo. Else why bother (in the US). The Macan turbo will have a 100hp deficit on the Cayenne and is not that much lighter or smaller... The main attraction for the US will be the lower pricing.

Exactly. Smiley Not only for the US. Smiley

--

Well in europe I can see some people wanting a slightly smaller car regardless of the price...

SciFrog:

Well in europe I can see some people wanting a slightly smaller car regardless of the price...

This is mostly because of the price, the Cayenne really sells well here, no issues (anymore).

People want to drive a Porsche but they don't want to spend a fortune. The Macan is supposed to become the most successful Porsche model in Porsche history, at least this is what I heard and if the price is right, they will succeed.

If the price difference between the Macan and the Cayenne will be only a couple of thousands of EUR (comparing models and performance), this will be a serious problem for Porsche.

I heard about a 80k EUR base price for the Macan Turbo, which would be acceptable but if it costs over 90k (base price), it will be difficult.

--

SciFrog:

Right!  Same in the US.  Price will of course be a factor as well, but there is a movement toward midsize SUV's that is independent of price.

I was talking to my dealer earlier and they have confirmed orders for 50 cars so that is a year's worth of allocation sold before it's even been launched at the LA show. The turbo is going to be £57k incl VAT here so that equates to around 68k euros (57k euros before local taxes).

ISUK:

I was talking to my dealer earlier and they have confirmed orders for 50 cars so that is a year's worth of allocation sold before it's even been launched at the LA show. The turbo is going to be £57k incl VAT here so that equates to around 68k euros (57k euros before local taxes).

This would be similar to Cayenne S pricing in the UK. Following this "logic" for the German car market, the Macan Turbo should be priced at around 77k EUR, which would be OK (close to the rumored 80k EUR I got).

--

I got same info as you did-80K € for Macan Turbo in Germany with Mwst. But, option list is pretty long and you can easily skip 100K with full options.

KresoF1:

I got same info as you did-80K € for Macan Turbo in Germany with Mwst. But, option list is pretty long and you can easily skip 100K with full options.

Up to 100k with the options I need/want would be acceptable but everything over 100k would be insane for the Macan. I am pretty sure that a possible Turbo S would have a 95k base price and could easily reach 110k EUR with options but this is too much for a Macan in my opinion.

Also, I'm still not a fan of the name "Macan", it sounds too harsh, not really good for a Porsche. Macan kind of sounds like caca. Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:

Up to 100k with the options I need/want would be acceptable but everything over 100k would be insane for the Macan. I am pretty sure that a possible Turbo S would have a 95k base price and could easily reach 110k EUR with options but this is too much for a Macan in my opinion.

Also, I'm still not a fan of the name "Macan", it sounds too harsh, not really good for a Porsche. Macan kind of sounds like caca. Smiley

--

Hmm, I rather like it - I like the tiger reference and how it ties into agility and performance the same way the Cayman was named after the eponymous small crocodile for the same reason. I see what you're getting at about the harshness of the sound, though, but an overwhelming amount of languages keep the word "tiger" to some extent: tier (Afrikaans), tigre (French), tigris (Hungarian), tyhr (Ukrainian). They could've gone the more exotic route if they kept the tiger reference and went for kaplan (Turkish), nimir (Arabic), babir (Persian) or syya (Lao). Smiley

Seven days to go but Porsche should just reveal the damn thing already. The [big] cat's already out of the bag.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Ha, Macan in Croatian is nickname for male Cat. Here, name Macan will be a very strange thing, especially if you see a young woman driving a Macan.

BTW, Ford Kuga is not selling at all here because Kuga locally literally means Pleague...

Macan as such means nothing in spanish. But it matches dominican slang for "screwed up" so that's going to be an easy one if someone doesn't like it. 

Talking about prices: Being since 3 weeks in the US and seeing the price tag for German cars I get more and more angry. Yes - I always knew how cheap these cars are over here but I just can't see it anymore. How is it to justify that you buy German cars abroad for up to that much less, especially talking about lease?

We talk about a midsize SUV with a base of 45-80k€ and we know we have to add another 35k€ to have the car equipped, this is insane! 

Seeing some beautiful US SUVs, like I.e. A Jeep SRT8, the car costs 75k€ in Germany, fully loaded - all options in! 6.4ltr Hemi, 8 gear ZF, Brembo brakes, adaptive Bilsteins, - great components, the car can't just be bad. How does it justify that Porsche asking significant more for comparable cars like the Cayenne S? Ahhhh - I see the myth, people pay for the image! Certainly the Porsche will have some advantages over such a Jeep, but paying that much more does justify? 

The Macan will be a huge success but keep in mind, the car (like all others) is build for the US market (this is where the numbers are made and there the price is still very low. So - pricing is based on market  and certainly if we all are stupid enough to pay this premium they will further ask us to do.

They will ill sell a lot of Macan, Diesels but also the high end engines, for sure!

As you all know, I think it should be called McCann, and be offered with tartan woven seats.

ISUK:

£57k for a decent spec Turbo in the UK would be quite reasonable given some of the rumours about where this price might be....!

Smiley

£57k is the basic list before options.

ISUK:

Probably £70k by the time a few options added then....

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    ISUK:

Probably £70k by the time a few options added then....

Judging by the price difference I've seen from the diesel, S and turbo variants I'd think the turbo is coming with a fairly decent standard spec but as with all the other Porsche models it is still likely to be easy to start incurring a lot of cost by ticking too many options boxes Smiley

ISUK, you are right to caution about building up costs by ticking option boxes.

But, just a little historical perspective.  All auto manufacturers---and other manufacturers as well-have long made money from options.  Years ago, I represented one of the largest groups of Ford dealerships in the U.S.  They made a small profit from the cars themselves--and not much more from service or parts.  The surplus profit came from options--like a radio or air conditioning or power windows or fancy hubcaps or "power steering" or automatic transmissions, or even "white sidewall" tires.  The past is prologue…. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764406 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436553 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261063 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257986 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82655 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876928 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808998 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM